San Diego "Biglaw"

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Silencio

San Diego "Biglaw"

Postby Silencio » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm a long-time lurker here, but this is my first post. I'm wondering if anyone can speak to the "Biglaw" scene in San Diego. I'm still a little hazy on the exact definition of Biglaw. Does it exist in San Diego? I was born/raised/went to undergrad in San Diego, and would very much like to work here after law school. I know a few lawyers, but I definitely would not be comfortable relying on them as connections to secure future employment. So far I've been accepted to four T14 schools, including one T6, but unfortunately, my applications at the best California schools (Stanford and Berkeley) are still pending. Also, Y and H (and S, for that matter) are huge longshots, due to my reverse splitter URM status.

So back to the original question. How realistic is San Diego "Biglaw"?

Please excuse my ignorance, I really have no familiarity with the legal scene in San Diego.

Thanks for the help.

iamrobk

Re: San Diego "Biglaw"

Postby iamrobk » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 pm

I don't have much to add except that HYS like reverse splitter URMs a LOT more than splitter URMs.

rinkrat19

Re: San Diego "Biglaw"

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Mods, don't kill me for posting in here as a 0L...

--LinkRemoved--
Use the NALP directory search. Put San Diego in the 'city' field and then run a search for each T14 school that you're looking at in the 'campus interviews' field. That will show which San Diego firms interview at each school's OCI. You can then check out the NALP page for each firm, and get a pretty good idea of office size and starting salary (and how many SAs they hire), which are major indicators of biglaw status.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”