More Course Requirements Vs. Less Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sbuzz

New

More Course Requirements Vs. Less

Post by sbuzz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:20 pm

I tried to see if I could find any info on this somewhere else on the site, but haven't been able to. I apologize if this has been covered somewhere..

I'm wondering if any grads/current lawyers could comment on whether it seems to be more beneficial to go to a school with more course requirements or less. I understand that more requirements means less choice and opportunity to take electives, but do these requirements make you more prepared to take the bar and practice law upon graduating than you might be otherwise? For example, some schools only require you take the typical 1L Civ Pro, Property, Torts, Crim Law, Constitutional Law, Contracts, and some version of Legal Writing, but don't require courses like Advocacy, Evidence, some type of Business course. Are there some courses that may be required but aren't a productive use of your time? Do you feel that the enforced requirements (in the case that they extend beyond the core listed above) restricted your legal education or made it stronger?

In the case that less requirements=better, could anyone suggest any additional courses that law students should be sure to take at some point?

Thank you!

furcifer

New

Re: More Course Requirements Vs. Less

Post by furcifer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:29 am

Less. The more flexability the better.

Realise though that is only one of many factors to weigh in when making your choice.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 am

But if you wanted to take Evidence, etc. you always could as an elective. Personally, I'm thrilled that we don't have requirements after first year.

furcifer

New

Post by furcifer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 pm

exactly. You still can, but still can choose NOT to as well.
Freedom of choice, never take it for granted when you can have it.
cinephile wrote:But if you wanted to take Evidence, etc. you always could as an elective. Personally, I'm thrilled that we don't have requirements after first year.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:11 pm

more choice is wonderful. the only course after first year we are required to take is legal profession, so I was able to take a lot of clinical courses so far, practical experience better than lecture classes anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sbuzz

New

Post by sbuzz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Thank you all for your input! It really helps in my evaluation of law schools. Can anyone recommend any courses to take? I've had a few people recommend taking a course in bankruptcy and also wills.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Do you have any idea what you want to do, even generally? You could focus courses in a certain area, like transactional. Or you could check out what upper-level courses have the most generous grading. Or just try to take as many clinics/externships/skills courses as possible. The choice is yours. Or just take bar courses like evidence or family law. Or talk to career development once you're a law student. Who knows, maybe you'll have a course you really enjoy that will help you figure out what you'd like to do. It's probably a bit early to start thinking about this if you're not a law student yet.

sbuzz

New

Post by sbuzz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm

I am interested in IP and corporate/business law, but as you suggested I can't say with any real level of confidence whether this is what I'll end up doing. It seems to me that these areas seem to intersect in a lot of ways, so I figured I would try to take some courses, clinics, and hopefully externships in one or both of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”