Cross-Country Move Planning: ideas, experiences, advice? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Re: Cross-Country Move Planning: ideas, experiences, advice?

Post by fruitoftheloom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:26 pm

I moved from KS to Houston about two years ago. I spent ~1k on the move - hauled a u-haul trailer behind my vehicle.

Something to keep in mind if you rent a UHaul: If your policy isn't from texas, your auto policy will NOT cover you in the UHaul. Therefore you have to purchase liability & damage waiver coverage for another ~$50 per day.

Honestly, as I'm considering moving xcountry again - I would sell all furniture on craigslist, donate what doesn't sell, and then hit up Ikea.

MG88

New

Post by MG88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm looking at moving from CA to DC. I'm planning on selling all of my furniture and just keeping two of my flat screens and loading them in the car and drive across with my bf and two dogs. As far as my clothes and everything else I'm thinking of maybe just shipping it to the local post office, and having them hold it for pick up.

I'm also trying to sell my car at the moment since I don't anticipate we will be needing two cars in DC.

Just thinking about the move and planning is keeping me up at night :cry:

accidentalhippy

New

Post by accidentalhippy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:35 pm

MG88 wrote:
Just thinking about the move and planning is keeping me up at night :cry:
Me too.

Another couple of options I've recently heard about:

1) YouCrate.com - similar to ReloCubes and Pods, but in smaller sizes and therefore less expensive
2) Going with a freight company that will accept residential freight. It could be a pain, as one has to fit everything onto a 4*4 pallet using shrink wrap and secure pallet ties, and I think this has to be done AT the freight company depot, unless there's a commercial loading dock where you live. But since it may be possible to ship 1600 pounds of gear for less than $500...I'm seriously considering the hassle. I'll post back with the details of the quote once I get it.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Moving 800 miles. Using YouCrate, The Cube

Total cost. $339

Definitely worth it.

MG88

New

Post by MG88 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Gail wrote:Moving 800 miles. Using YouCrate, The Cube

Total cost. $339

Definitely worth it.
I got a quote from YouCrate and it looks promising, I'm definitely thinking about using them.

~$540 for about 2800 miles

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Yeah. If you got no more than the incidentals. Clothing, fridge, chairs, etc. YouCrate seems perfect. Better than lugging it in my car.

Which brings about antoher question. How are you preparing your cars for the road trip? Mine is pretty old with 160k on it by the time I move. I'm planning on getting all the belts and fluids replaced. Actually, I'm just taking it to a mechanic and telling him to make it so it doesn't break down.

I hope I don't have to replace the water pump, but probably will. Ugh. Another $600.

MG88

New

Post by MG88 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Gail wrote:Yeah. If you got no more than the incidentals. Clothing, fridge, chairs, etc. YouCrate seems perfect. Better than lugging it in my car.

Which brings about antoher question. How are you preparing your cars for the road trip? Mine is pretty old with 160k on it by the time I move. I'm planning on getting all the belts and fluids replaced. Actually, I'm just taking it to a mechanic and telling him to make it so it doesn't break down.

I hope I don't have to replace the water pump, but probably will. Ugh. Another $600.

My car isn't too old, but since I'm looking at relocating to DC and I've been told I won't need my car much there I'm looking into selling. I hope I can make this happen sooner rather than later.

accidentalhippy

New

Post by accidentalhippy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:28 am

I finally came to my senses and booked one-way flights for my daughter and I and signed a moving agreement with Great American Moving & Storage. For up to 2000 pounds (approx 280 cu ft), I'll pay $1667 for the 2200 mile move.

Now I have to get the cats to the vet to figure out what concoction to give them to make our 10 hour travel day more pleasant. And I need to sell my car.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”