Employment prospects after serving as a JAG officer

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mbkc03

Employment prospects after serving as a JAG officer

Postby mbkc03 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 pm

It might be a little premature to ask (having just got accepted in law school), but is it extra difficult for former JAG's to find employment after being away from the private sector for 4-6 years? I figure a lot of law students get hired by law firms through OCI's and someone like me, having ambitions to become a JAG, would be missing out on these opportunities. If more information would help, I'll be attending UC Hastings and plan on living/working in San Francisco after fulfilling my contract with the Army. Any input would be appreciated.

MrPapagiorgio

Re: Employment prospects after serving as a JAG officer

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 am

It's very difficult to get JAG in the first place, especially if you aren't a vet. But if by some chance that you actually get in, post-JAG opportunities should be plentiful.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:51 am

As a vet - do your time in JAG, and you will do well on the outside, especially if you want to work big gov or biglaw in the field of military contracting.. DoS friend makes 350k 2 years out of JAG.. 2weeks on, traveling, 2 weeks odd. Thats the job i want

Deutschebag

Postby Deutschebag » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:40 pm

JAG mega thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543

Will probably get more info there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”