Emory 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby dcgirl1013 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Ask anything you want and I will be as unbiased as I possibly can..

User avatar
desiballa21
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby desiballa21 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:33 am

Hey, thanks for taking Qs..

1) Why did you chose Emory?

2) Hear anything about employment prospects?

User avatar
Supremo Skelator
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby Supremo Skelator » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 am

Also, if you could elaborate on your debt load and if you have any scholarships, that would be awesome.

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby dcgirl1013 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:21 pm

desiballa21 wrote:Hey, thanks for taking Qs..

1) Why did you chose Emory?

2) Hear anything about employment prospects?



I chose Emory because I knew I wanted to be in the Southeast, I got a great scholarship, it is driving distance from my family, and I really liked the school/Decatur area when I visited. I don't know too much about 2L or 3L job prospects, but I actually know quite a few 1Ls who already have jobs lined up for the summer and I even have a friend who has had 10+ interviews in the past 2 weeks! Its not a great economy, but the market definitely seems to be picking back up to me. Also Emory has instituted a new Center for Professional Development and it is great! So many networking opportunities, and I have met a bunch of Emory alums in the practice area I want to be in (Criminal defense) through it.

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby dcgirl1013 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Supremo Skelator wrote:Also, if you could elaborate on your debt load and if you have any scholarships, that would be awesome.


I got a $75,000 total scholarship, and I am taking out around $60,000 in loans. I am very lucky that my live-in boyfriend is paying for all of my living expenses! I feel pretty comfortable with my debt load whether I decide to work in a private firm, or for the government (in which case I would do the Public Interest Loan Forgiveness program)

spets
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby spets » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:32 pm

Your 1L friends that have jobs lined up already - are these paid jobs or internships?

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby dcgirl1013 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:38 pm

spets wrote:Your 1L friends that have jobs lined up already - are these paid jobs or internships?


All unpaid I think... There are very few paid positions for 1Ls.. I applied for a few through oci though and the bidding/interviews for that aren't over yet

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby paul34 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:39 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrjohnsterman
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby mrjohnsterman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I know you are not paying for your living expenses, but how realistic are Emory's Cost of attendance prices?

Atlanta is a less expensive city compared to others I applied to (Boston in particular) Emory's listed living costs are about $5000 more than BU/BC's. I am just wondering if this is real, or if Emory raised their numbers so students could get larger loans?

Also, do they require you to take out their health insurance or can you stay on a parent's plan?


Estimated Expenses (Costs may vary based on your choices)

Living Expenses: $18,602
Books: $2,000
Health Insurance: $2,360
Parking: $660
Loan Fees: $676
Total $24,298

ab04825
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:09 am

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby ab04825 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:06 pm

When you were choosing which law school to attend, did you apply to other law schools in Georgia? I am currently trying to choose between Mercer, Georgia State, and Emory. If you did look at any of those schools, what drew you to Emory over them?

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm

paul34 wrote:Is LRW pass/fail?

How would you rate the general student body, at least around the law school? Snobbish? Niceish?

Best places to live super close to the law school? Are the places listed in the TLS article ok, in your opinion?

How late do the emory shuttles run?

How are your winters?


LRW is graded so not pass/fail. The student body of the law school is nice, pretty outgoing and not overly competitive. There are definitely some people who are snobby, but most people are not. The best places to live near the law school are Clairmont reserve, post briarcliff, campus crossings, gables rock springs...
I live in highland lake and the location is great and it is cheaper than the others but I know multiple people who live there including myself who have had ant problems.. The weather this winter has been great! Only under 32 degrees a handful of days. But it has also been an abnormally warm winter in atl.. I'm not sure how late the shuttles run and I didn't see it on the website. The latest I have taken the shuttle is around 9

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 pm

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and in a year spend around $14,000 for all living expenses but I do not eat out much. I spent around $1000 for both semesters on books, but I ordered used books on amazon. Atlanta is definitely a much less expensive city than any other I have visited. You can also stay on your parents insurance, which is what I am doing

mrjohnsterman wrote:I know you are not paying for your living expenses, but how realistic are Emory's Cost of attendance prices?

Atlanta is a less expensive city compared to others I applied to (Boston in particular) Emory's listed living costs are about $5000 more than BU/BC's. I am just wondering if this is real, or if Emory raised their numbers so students could get larger loans?

Also, do they require you to take out their health insurance or can you stay on a parent's plan?


Estimated Expenses (Costs may vary based on your choices)

Living Expenses: $18,602
Books: $2,000
Health Insurance: $2,360
Parking: $660
Loan Fees: $676
Total $24,298

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Also if you live in a 2 bedroom with a roomate your rent will be quite a bit less than mine..

dcgirl1013 wrote:I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and in a year spend around $14,000 for all living expenses but I do not eat out much. I spent around $1000 for both semesters on books, but I ordered used books on amazon. Atlanta is definitely a much less expensive city than any other I have visited. You can also stay on your parents insurance, which is what I am doing

mrjohnsterman wrote:I know you are not paying for your living expenses, but how realistic are Emory's Cost of attendance prices?

Atlanta is a less expensive city compared to others I applied to (Boston in particular) Emory's listed living costs are about $5000 more than BU/BC's. I am just wondering if this is real, or if Emory raised their numbers so students could get larger loans?

Also, do they require you to take out their health insurance or can you stay on a parent's plan?


Estimated Expenses (Costs may vary based on your choices)

Living Expenses: $18,602
Books: $2,000
Health Insurance: $2,360
Parking: $660
Loan Fees: $676
Total $24,298

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm

ab04825 wrote:When you were choosing which law school to attend, did you apply to other law schools in Georgia? I am currently trying to choose between Mercer, Georgia State, and Emory. If you did look at any of those schools, what drew you to Emory over them?


I did not apply to any other schools in ga... From what I have seen though emory definitely has a much better reputation than the other schools in atl.. One of the firms I interviewed with was taking 1 Emory 1L and 1 uga 1L for their summer program and no one from any other ga law school

GokartMozart315
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby GokartMozart315 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 am

i understand you picked emory because it places well in the southeast; does that include dc? how does emory place there? that is ultimately where i want to practice

User avatar
futurejdgirl
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Do you mind posting some pictures of Emory? I don't think I'll be able to visit, so it would be super helpful if you can!

parisian
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby parisian » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:44 pm

I am considering applying to Emory, but I've heard negative things about employment prospects and how competitive the Atlanta job market is. Could anyone give an insider's perspective on this?

wwwcol
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby wwwcol » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 pm

parisian wrote:I am considering applying to Emory, but I've heard negative things about employment prospects and how competitive the Atlanta job market is. Could anyone give an insider's perspective on this?


Job market for what? BigLaw?

parisian
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby parisian » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:29 am

wwwcol wrote:
parisian wrote:I am considering applying to Emory, but I've heard negative things about employment prospects and how competitive the Atlanta job market is. Could anyone give an insider's perspective on this?


Job market for what? BigLaw?


Yes. Biglaw and mid-law.

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby Kanye West » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 pm

1L, but can throw my 2 cents in (I'll need them back, doe).

About 10 (20 tops) kids get a sweet Big Law internship 1L summer, but it's also hard to gauge since the majority of students (subjective at this point) that I know 1) don't want to say in ATL; 2) are public folks (Enviro is big here-ish); 3) go Big Law in NY. Emory also leans heavy on transactional type jobs, so if that's something you're into (Ks on Ks on Ks), consider it a plus.

The school has a presence w/ the firms, that's for sure, and any alumni I know from Emory that wanted firm jobs (in ATL), have good paying (non regretful) ones. The market is competitive, yes, but, from my own job hunting, seems less-so than Chi-town, NY, LA, etc.

Side note, the majority of current 3L that are big lawin' in ATL come graduation (that I personally know) didn't have top grades, but were social hustlers of the highest caliber and made up for it w/ other extracurriculars (Moot Ct., LJ, etc.). So, there's that as well to consider.

TL;DR, if you go to Emory w/ the objective of staying in ATL (and get top 10-15%), you're solid for Big Law. Even more so for mid law.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

User avatar
pamphleteer
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby pamphleteer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Kanye West wrote:
TL;DR, if you go to Emory w/ the objective of staying in ATL (and get top 10-15%), you're solid for Big Law. Even more so for mid law.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE


What about Chicago/NYC/SF biglaw?

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby Kanye West » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:23 pm

pamphleteer wrote:
Kanye West wrote:
TL;DR, if you go to Emory w/ the objective of staying in ATL (and get top 10-15%), you're solid for Big Law. Even more so for mid law.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE


What about Chicago/NYC/SF biglaw?


Hear good things about NYC, decent about Chicago, and nothing about SF.

User avatar
chicago-gunner123
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:27 am

Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions

Postby chicago-gunner123 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:06 am

Anyone have any reviews on Urska Velikonja? She is a visiting professor at Chicago this quarter, teaching Federal Regulation of Securities.

Thanks in advance!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests