Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
otnemem

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby otnemem » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Also, $20 for an HDTV antenna is worth it. From my Columbia building I can get CBS, NBC, and Fox in HD, ABC sometimes, plus random local channels. That plus Netflix is more than enough for me during the school year.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:13 pm

yeah, I was looking at cable options, and theyre just too expensive. Unless you live in a big house with a bunch of ppl, or can string coaxial wires through the walls to share it with multiple apartments and split the cost several ways, its just ridiculous. I'm still waiting for the day that individual channels allow you to subscribe to just their channel and watch it online for a small subscription fee. Then I could just pick the 10 or so channels I actually watch, pay maybe 12 bucks a month for those few, and just hook up my laptop to a tv.

penguin2011

Postby penguin2011 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Which is better for CLS: PC or Mac?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 pm

penguin2011 wrote:Which is better for CLS: PC or Mac?

doesn't matter....

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 pm

jubee wrote:hey guys I have googled this so I have a rough idea but does anyone have an estimate for what their apartment pays overall monthly for cable?

I'm moving into an apartment with only one other room mate that has already been living there and doesn't have tv/cable so I have a feeling she won't want to be splitting the bill with me if I get it :oops: :cry: which kinda sucks because while I know my tv time will be cut down in school I really do like to just vegetate on the couch once in a while and be a tv zombie..

hulu plus seems like a possibility but sometimes I just wanna flip channels or not have to make real decisions on what I want to watch

I'm just going to say VPN. You can infer what you want from that.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Can someone clarify the 40-hour pro-bono graduation requirement? Would 501(c)(3) organizations count as long as you're unpaid? What unpaid summer work wouldn't count? Can the same hours towards the graduation requirement also be put towards the New York bar requirement?

zor

Postby zor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:48 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Tekrul wrote:I'm looking for any helpful advice for me as a commuting 1L.

Due to a situation I can't change, I will have to commute one hour each way, two hours per day total. I understand this is not ideal, but the situation is out of my hands. I'm looking for any tips from someone who did a commute like this or knows someone that did.

Also, while section assignments and section schedules haven't been released yet, is it possible to ask for specific section consideration with such a long commute? Specifically, I'd prioritize for not having class on Fridays to keep my commute costs down, then for having classes later in the day.

For what its worth,

1) you're pre-emptively welcome to crash on my sofabed on 116th when you dont feel like commuting home. Just dont smoke cigs inside the apartment -- take that shit to the balcony.

2) im intending to commute as a 2L/3L roughly 45 min as well so I can have free rent, so im curious about these suggestions

FYI I am not a Columbia 1L (I'm at a T2 NYC law school, dropping in since I applied to transfer) but can offer commuting advice as someone in the top 2% who struggled with NYC travel times every day. My commute for 1L year was about an hour each way, usually without a seat. Reading casebooks was out of the question, since I notate heavily. So I used that time to read for fun for the first half of the semester. As things got closer to finals, I used that time to read supplements (if I could do it again, I would probably ALWAYS use this time to read supplements rather than cram, but hey... I wanted to get through my Pratchett backlog).

The big challenge for me was lugging books around. Because I hated dragging my books all that way, my goal was usually to finish my reading at school (no matter how late that would be, but not usually that late) and leave my books there, but bring them home on the weekends. This didn't always work out, so I invested in a good backpack. I think worrying about logistics kept me honest in terms of scheduling my time. For instance, if I wanted to meet a friend on Wed night, I knew I didn't want to drag my books around for Thursday's class so I would make sure to do all my reading on Tuesday.

It took a few months, but the commute got better. At first it was draining to spend 2 hours a day where I couldn't really do my homework, but I came to view it as my chill out/ fun read/ music time. You can do it, and you can do it well, without sacrificing your social life. It makes you plan, and it's a bummer when your law school friends want to go out at 9pm and you're like oh my god no I need to get home, but I'm an older student and wasn't really into the college lifestyle 2.0. YMMV.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:40 pm

zor wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Tekrul wrote:I'm looking for any helpful advice for me as a commuting 1L.

Due to a situation I can't change, I will have to commute one hour each way, two hours per day total. I understand this is not ideal, but the situation is out of my hands. I'm looking for any tips from someone who did a commute like this or knows someone that did.

Also, while section assignments and section schedules haven't been released yet, is it possible to ask for specific section consideration with such a long commute? Specifically, I'd prioritize for not having class on Fridays to keep my commute costs down, then for having classes later in the day.

For what its worth,

1) you're pre-emptively welcome to crash on my sofabed on 116th when you dont feel like commuting home. Just dont smoke cigs inside the apartment -- take that shit to the balcony.

2) im intending to commute as a 2L/3L roughly 45 min as well so I can have free rent, so im curious about these suggestions

FYI I am not a Columbia 1L (I'm at a T2 NYC law school, dropping in since I applied to transfer) but can offer commuting advice as someone in the top 2% who struggled with NYC travel times every day. My commute for 1L year was about an hour each way, usually without a seat. Reading casebooks was out of the question, since I notate heavily. So I used that time to read for fun for the first half of the semester. As things got closer to finals, I used that time to read supplements (if I could do it again, I would probably ALWAYS use this time to read supplements rather than cram, but hey... I wanted to get through my Pratchett backlog).

The big challenge for me was lugging books around. Because I hated dragging my books all that way, my goal was usually to finish my reading at school (no matter how late that would be, but not usually that late) and leave my books there, but bring them home on the weekends. This didn't always work out, so I invested in a good backpack. I think worrying about logistics kept me honest in terms of scheduling my time. For instance, if I wanted to meet a friend on Wed night, I knew I didn't want to drag my books around for Thursday's class so I would make sure to do all my reading on Tuesday.

It took a few months, but the commute got better. At first it was draining to spend 2 hours a day where I couldn't really do my homework, but I came to view it as my chill out/ fun read/ music time. You can do it, and you can do it well, without sacrificing your social life. It makes you plan, and it's a bummer when your law school friends want to go out at 9pm and you're like oh my god no I need to get home, but I'm an older student and wasn't really into the college lifestyle 2.0. YMMV.

Good luck on the transfer application!

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm trying to budget out my loan money for rent+expenses over the next year. I am budgeting so that I have rent money through next August so I don't have to stress about that. Does the 1L summer stipend come through in a timely manner so that I can rely on it for food/personal expenses starting mid/end of May, or is it the kind of thing that takes a while for them to process and you never know when it's going to come through?

I guess a more relevant question for the rising 2Ls here would be: have you gotten your stipend yet and if so, how long ago did you get it?

Thanks!

penguin2011

Postby penguin2011 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:48 pm

ph5354a wrote:I'm trying to budget out my loan money for rent+expenses over the next year. I am budgeting so that I have rent money through next August so I don't have to stress about that. Does the 1L summer stipend come through in a timely manner so that I can rely on it for food/personal expenses starting mid/end of May, or is it the kind of thing that takes a while for them to process and you never know when it's going to come through?

I guess a more relevant question for the rising 2Ls here would be: have you gotten your stipend yet and if so, how long ago did you get it?

Thanks!

They have this information on the summer funding website: http://web.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... gsf-basics

It looks like if you work outside the US, you get the funding in advance; if you do qualifying summer work in the states, you have to submit time sheets (so payment after time worked, meaning you would need to budget ahead of time).

I'm still just a 0L, though, so maybe current students can help more with the on-the-ground eval of the program.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 pm

penguin2011 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I'm trying to budget out my loan money for rent+expenses over the next year. I am budgeting so that I have rent money through next August so I don't have to stress about that. Does the 1L summer stipend come through in a timely manner so that I can rely on it for food/personal expenses starting mid/end of May, or is it the kind of thing that takes a while for them to process and you never know when it's going to come through?

Thanks!

They have this information on the summer funding website: http://web.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... gsf-basics

It looks like if you work outside the US, you get the funding in advance; if you do qualifying summer work in the states, you have to submit time sheets (so payment after time worked, meaning you would need to budget ahead of time).

I'm still just a 0L, though, so maybe current students can help more with the on-the-ground eval of the program.

Yeah, I saw that too, just still a little confused. I guess a better question would be with the timesheet (ergo taxes) situation, how much of the stipend are you actually seeing each pay period? I just assume with these things there are always delays and things, which is why I'm not relying on that for rent.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:53 am

Can any current Columbia students share their thoughts on attending Columbia at sticker? I'd love to hear some fresh insight. Additionally, how much do summers in NYC big law take home post-tax? I'm trying to figure out total cost of attendance with 2 summers of big law to help pay down some debt.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 am

californiauser wrote:Can any current Columbia students share their thoughts on attending Columbia at sticker? I'd love to hear some fresh insight. Additionally, how much do summers in NYC big law take home post-tax? I'm trying to figure out total cost of attendance with 2 summers of big law to help pay down some debt.

I personally wouldn't attend at sticker, but I know others that are. You'll need to assess the likelihood of getting big law (which is high but not guaranteed at CLS) and the likelihood of staying in big law long enough to make a significant dent in your loan repayments (50% attrition is probably somewhere near the 4 year mark ITE).

Uh, I can't recall the number off the top of my head, but you can just search TLS for the answer. It's probably something in the 20-23k range -- you'll obviously get more back via tax returns. Why are you assuming 2 summers of big law...?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:24 am

californiauser wrote:Can any current Columbia students share their thoughts on attending Columbia at sticker? I'd love to hear some fresh insight. Additionally, how much do summers in NYC big law take home post-tax? I'm trying to figure out total cost of attendance with 2 summers of big law to help pay down some debt.

What are your other options? I'd take CLS at sticker over most non T14s, but if you have a T14 option with significant money, that should be considered. Alternatively, I'd be interested in hearing your best free ride (or any school that leaves with less than 60k debt total.)

You shouldn't assume any summers of big law. Realistically, you'll probably get one, but it is foolish to assume that from the outset.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm considering an ED to Columbia (loosely) for next cycle. I have parental connections to big law, so, yeah, I'll leave it at that.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 am

californiauser wrote:Thanks for the help, guys. I'm considering an ED to Columbia (loosely) for next cycle. I have parental connections to big law, so, yeah, I'll leave it at that.

If your connections could actually secure a job for you (which I doubt they can), then going to Columbia at sticker price is a waste of money.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:55 am

Bronck wrote:
californiauser wrote:Thanks for the help, guys. I'm considering an ED to Columbia (loosely) for next cycle. I have parental connections to big law, so, yeah, I'll leave it at that.

If your connections could actually secure a job for you (which I doubt they can), then going to Columbia at sticker price is a waste of money.

Agree w/ this logic. If you have a gig lined up at a top firm and all you need is the JD, get the cheapest, most convenient JD you can. If its more like, IF you go to a top school AND get above median grades then the connections can help, then yea, that's basically the same as not having those connections

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Agree w/ this logic. If you have a gig lined up at a top firm and all you need is the JD, get the cheapest, most convenient JD you can. If its more like, IF you go to a top school AND get above median grades then the connections can help, then yea, that's basically the same as not having those connections

I don't want my 1L summer plans to be the focus of whether or not I should I pay sticker. Anything could happen after 1L summer. That being said, your thoughts on Columbia at sticker? assuming nothing in life is guranteed after 1L summer.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:19 am

californiauser wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Bronck wrote:

I don't want my 1L summer plans to be the focus of whether or not I should I pay sticker. Anything could happen after 1L summer. That being said, your thoughts on Columbia at sticker? assuming nothing in life is guranteed after 1L summer.

It depends on what your other options are. In a vacuum, it's hard to say whether Columbia at sticker is the right decision for you. If you have $$ at NYU, it isn't. If you didn't get accepted to any other T14, then it is.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Any local tailors to recommend?

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Do lenfest studios have blinds? They all should also have a dining table set with stools, correct?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 pm

djwjddl wrote:Do lenfest studios have blinds? They all should also have a dining table set with stools, correct?

These pictures were posted a few pages back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48159804@N ... 449687757/

I'd be curious to hear an answer to the dining thing too, but from the looks of it, no.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Why do you say that from the looks of it we aren't supposed to have one? The pictures clearly show a dining table set. Do you think that's something the original poster purchased?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 pm

FWIW, I lived in a Lenfest studio for a couple months. It had blinds but no dining room table. There honestly wasn’t room for one. I just ate at the very large desk they provided.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:07 am

djwjddl wrote:Why do you say that from the looks of it we aren't supposed to have one? The pictures clearly show a dining table set. Do you think that's something the original poster purchased?

Yea, sorry - should've been more clear. They don't really match the other furniture and there was nothing like that in the Lenfest studio I looked at during ASW.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”