Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
toothbrush

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:20 am

francesfarmer wrote:Is there like "spanish for the lawyering profession" or something because I'm gonna go the PI/PD route and my spanish has fallen off since UG. How does that work?

I majored in Spanish Lit in UG. There was a course entitled this at my UG. Something like "Spanish in the legal world" or something. It was basically a grammar class focused on legal terms / what would be expected to be written/said in a professional legal setting.

I say this because they used a text. You can probably find said text with some due diligence.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Tekrul wrote:If everyone started using the culpa directory I linked, we'd have a solid course review site. I kind of assumed the law school had it's own version of this since this site's law category has like 1 review.

They do, but it's not very useful for figuring out which ones are objectively easy and which are hard.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Probably useless for incoming 1Ls, but rising 2Ls, you guys heard anything on what classes to take next year?
Also, is there a hard deadline for grades? hasn't been a month since we finished?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:04 pm

icedflames wrote:Probably useless for incoming 1Ls, but rising 2Ls, you guys heard anything on what classes to take next year?
Also, is there a hard deadline for grades? hasn't been a month since we finished?

tomorrow except for Morrison conlaw

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Purely out of curiosity, what time of the year did you all start applying for 1L summer jobs? 1L summer is the one part of the next three years that's still largely a mystery to me (that and you know, law stuff).

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:48 pm

ph5354a wrote:Purely out of curiosity, what time of the year did you all start applying for 1L summer jobs? 1L summer is the one part of the next three years that's still largely a mystery to me (that and you know, law stuff).

You can start in Dec. I didn't really start til Jan though. You can grab stuff all the way through April/May, though it is nicer to have something locked up early-ish.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Bronck wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Purely out of curiosity, what time of the year did you all start applying for 1L summer jobs? 1L summer is the one part of the next three years that's still largely a mystery to me (that and you know, law stuff).

You can start in Dec. I didn't really start til Jan though. You can grab stuff all the way through April/May, though it is nicer to have something locked up early-ish.

So you got a 1L SA? What do you think were the important points in landing that?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 am

untar614 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

So you got a 1L SA? What do you think were the important points in landing that?

Uh, no. Why did you think I did?

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 am

Bronck wrote:
untar614 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Uh, no. Why did you think I did?

In hindsight, I'm not sure.
Some RC fail on my part I think.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks, Bronck! Sounds like it's a good winter break activity.

Assuming you all are in the midst of whatever you lined up for the summer --anything you would have done differently during your search, in terms of timing, sectors you targeted, CLS offices that gave you advice, etc.?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 am

Tekrul wrote:If everyone started using the culpa directory I linked, we'd have a solid course review site. I kind of assumed the law school had it's own version of this since this site's law category has like 1 review.

Such a bummer that law students don't use CULPA! Let's start a movement.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 am

ph5354a wrote:Assuming you all are in the midst of whatever you lined up for the summer --anything you would have done differently during your search, in terms of timing, sectors you targeted, CLS offices that gave you advice, etc.?

I wouldn't worry about it early on. I think if you're going to aim for a 1L SA, you probably need to get on that early, but many people find stuff later on. Don't sweat it as you'll find something and it'll probably be something interesting.

Seriously, don't worry about the 1L summer stuff. In the fall focus on exams. Save that for break.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:44 am

hibiki wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Assuming you all are in the midst of whatever you lined up for the summer --anything you would have done differently during your search, in terms of timing, sectors you targeted, CLS offices that gave you advice, etc.?

I wouldn't worry about it early on. I think if you're going to aim for a 1L SA, you probably need to get on that early, but many people find stuff later on. Don't sweat it as you'll find something and it'll probably be something interesting.

Seriously, don't worry about the 1L summer stuff. In the fall focus on exams. Save that for break.

Co-signing all of this.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 am

Bronck wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Co-signing all of this.

Okay okay I'll stop writing cover letters :lol: Thank you both!

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 pm

hibiki wrote:

I'm sorry for how much of an insufferable gunner this post will make me seem like, but to indulge some neuroses re:1L summer:

- It looks like GSF will only pay like $3,360 for 1L summer or $4,200 including outside funding. How the hell do people make this work if they plan on staying in NYC and don't have extensive parental support/savings? Should we overborrow and save some of the loan money? Or just forget about staying in the city for 1L summer? I presume it ends up being a little less than this because lump-sum taxes, too.

- What's the pecking order of desirable stuff to do 1L summer? I imagine this depends a lot whether you're a PI/gov/etc gunner or looking to go into biglaw, but I presume some things are just objectively better experience and more competitive. As a non-URM non-IP person it seems I'm unlikely to get a 1L SA, so I guess I'm curious what to aim for.

- Does RAing for professors pay enough to support yourself without outside help? Is RAing TCR if you're gunning for a CoA clerkship? Oh my god, that is the most TLS-y sentence I have ever typed and I am ashamed.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:48 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:I'm sorry for how much of an insufferable gunner this post will make me seem like, but to indulge some neuroses re:1L summer:

- It looks like GSF will only pay like $3,360 for 1L summer or $4,200 including outside funding. How the hell do people make this work if they plan on staying in NYC and don't have extensive parental support/savings? Should we overborrow and save some of the loan money? Or just forget about staying in the city for 1L summer? I presume it ends up being a little less than this because lump-sum taxes, too.

- What's the pecking order of desirable stuff to do 1L summer? I imagine this depends a lot whether you're a PI/gov/etc gunner or looking to go into biglaw, but I presume some things are just objectively better experience and more competitive. As a non-URM non-IP person it seems I'm unlikely to get a 1L SA, so I guess I'm curious what to aim for.

- Does RAing for professors pay enough to support yourself without outside help? Is RAing TCR if you're gunning for a CoA clerkship? Oh my god, that is the most TLS-y sentence I have ever typed and I am ashamed.

- It's not that hard. Rent through CU is only 1000-1200 a month, so the GSF covers that. You really only need to cover food yourself, which may be anywhere from 200-250 a month depending on how you eat. You likely won't even use up all the loan money you request, so there will be that as well. Staying in the city is perfectly fine for 1L Summer.

- paid > unpaid. There is no pecking order outside of that.

- Probably. I think RAing pays more than GSF, tbh. I know nothing about clerkships b/c I have absolutely no interest in them, but I imagine 1L job has no bearing on CoA clerkship prospects. Just get good grades, take classes with profs who have connections, and network with them.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
hibiki wrote:

I'm sorry for how much of an insufferable gunner this post will make me seem like, but to indulge some neuroses re:1L summer:

(1) Chill. Seriously chill and stay chilled for several months.

(2) People save. People don't pay rent. You'll find a way. (seriously not paying rent is probably the easiest, just pay it when you get your fall loans)

(3) I don't know about clerkships and you should delete that word from your vocabulary for the next calendar year. Do you know what is probably way more important than being an RA in terms of lining up a clerkship? Getting good grades. Focus on that and if you kill it aim for that path.

(4) There is no real pecking order for 1L summer stuff. If you can find a firm to pay you market, that's probably the best, especially if it is a firm that you'd like to work at. If you're one of those lucky people, congrats! That's awesome. But, that's probably not going to be you, and even if it isn't you'll still have a shot to get the job you want as long as you get the grades you need.

Seriously y'all don't worry about 1L summer stuff. Looking back, I'd totally tell past me to chill out about it and I took it less seriously than most people. You'll find something and you'll probably enjoy it.

In fact, don't stress about anything too much. I know that we kinda instill a form of hyper-vigilant terror-gunning on TLS, but it isn't necessary. Go out and drink. Have fun. 1L is a good time and you can do those things and still get good grades. I promise.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:14 pm

hibiki wrote:In fact, don't stress about anything too much. I know that we kinda instill a form of hyper-vigilant terror-gunning on TLS, but it isn't necessary. Go out and drink. Have fun. 1L is a good time and you can do those things and still get good grades. I promise.

I totally follow this advice in real life! Thanks, both of you, for the responses. I am just bored at work and being neurotic about something that won't be relevant for six months makes the day go faster.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 am

I'm looking for any helpful advice for me as a commuting 1L.

Due to a situation I can't change, I will have to commute one hour each way, two hours per day total. I understand this is not ideal, but the situation is out of my hands. I'm looking for any tips from someone who did a commute like this or knows someone that did.

Also, while section assignments and section schedules haven't been released yet, is it possible to ask for specific section consideration with such a long commute? Specifically, I'd prioritize for not having class on Fridays to keep my commute costs down, then for having classes later in the day.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:27 am

Tekrul wrote:I'm looking for any helpful advice for me as a commuting 1L.

Due to a situation I can't change, I will have to commute one hour each way, two hours per day total. I understand this is not ideal, but the situation is out of my hands. I'm looking for any tips from someone who did a commute like this or knows someone that did.

Also, while section assignments and section schedules haven't been released yet, is it possible to ask for specific section consideration with such a long commute? Specifically, I'd prioritize for not having class on Fridays to keep my commute costs down, then for having classes later in the day.

For what its worth,

1) you're pre-emptively welcome to crash on my sofabed on 116th when you dont feel like commuting home. Just dont smoke cigs inside the apartment -- take that shit to the balcony.

2) im intending to commute as a 2L/3L roughly 45 min as well so I can have free rent, so im curious about these suggestions

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks jbagel, I shall remember your generosity when pillaging the villages and salting the earth of the beer pong tournament :D

untar614

Postby untar614 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:46 pm

dammit, offering couch space with no stipulations?!

I already offered that in exchange for getting me into the premium gym, now I have no bargaining power :(
I can feel my muscles shrinking already

jubee

Postby jubee » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:43 pm

hey guys I have googled this so I have a rough idea but does anyone have an estimate for what their apartment pays overall monthly for cable?

I'm moving into an apartment with only one other room mate that has already been living there and doesn't have tv/cable so I have a feeling she won't want to be splitting the bill with me if I get it :oops: :cry: which kinda sucks because while I know my tv time will be cut down in school I really do like to just vegetate on the couch once in a while and be a tv zombie..

hulu plus seems like a possibility but sometimes I just wanna flip channels or not have to make real decisions on what I want to watch

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:17 pm

I'd say go for netflix, hulu, showtime and get a wi-fi tv instead of paying for cable. Renting the cable box, paying the cable bill, paying for installation, dealing with boxes breaking and getting them replaced/repaired, etc. is just not worth it imo.

I'm in the UWS in a building that is serviced by Verizon FiOS and NuVisions. The price for cable + box and internet + modem is about $100/month + $300 installation fee. I imagine Morningside Heights will have similar price points. NuVisions, btw, is a sub-par service. I have experienced a ton of bandwidth throttling and the cable was extremely vulnerable to weather related outages, I'd go with FiOS if it's available.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Tekrul wrote:I'd say go for netflix, hulu, showtime and get a wi-fi tv instead of paying for cable. Renting the cable box, paying the cable bill, paying for installation, dealing with boxes breaking and getting them replaced/repaired, etc. is just not worth it imo.

+1

Also, Apple TV changed my life.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”