beepboopbeep wrote: hibiki wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Assuming you all are in the midst of whatever you lined up for the summer --anything you would have done differently during your search, in terms of timing, sectors you targeted, CLS offices that gave you advice, etc.?
I wouldn't worry about it early on. I think if you're going to aim for a 1L SA, you probably need to get on that early, but many people find stuff later on. Don't sweat it as you'll find something and it'll probably be something interesting.
Seriously, don't worry about the 1L summer stuff. In the fall focus on exams. Save that for break.
I'm sorry for how much of an insufferable gunner this post will make me seem like, but to indulge some neuroses re:1L summer:
- It looks like GSF will only pay like $3,360 for 1L summer or $4,200 including outside funding. How the hell do people make this work if they plan on staying in NYC and don't have extensive parental support/savings? Should we overborrow and save some of the loan money? Or just forget about staying in the city for 1L summer? I presume it ends up being a little less than this because lump-sum taxes, too.
- What's the pecking order of desirable stuff to do 1L summer? I imagine this depends a lot whether you're a PI/gov/etc gunner or looking to go into biglaw, but I presume some things are just objectively better experience and more competitive. As a non-URM non-IP person it seems I'm unlikely to get a 1L SA, so I guess I'm curious what to aim for.
- Does RAing for professors pay enough to support yourself without outside help? Is RAing TCR if you're gunning for a CoA clerkship? Oh my god, that is the most TLS-y sentence I have ever typed and I am ashamed.
(1) Chill. Seriously chill and stay chilled for several months.
(2) People save. People don't pay rent. You'll find a way. (seriously not paying rent is probably the easiest, just pay it when you get your fall loans)
(3) I don't know about clerkships and you should delete that word from your vocabulary for the next calendar year. Do you know what is probably way more important than being an RA in terms of lining up a clerkship? Getting good grades. Focus on that and if
you kill it aim for that path.
(4) There is no real pecking order for 1L summer stuff. If you can find a firm to pay you market, that's probably the best, especially if it is a firm that you'd like to work at. If you're one of those lucky people, congrats! That's awesome. But, that's probably not going to be you, and even if it isn't you'll still have a shot to get the job you want as long as you get the grades you need.
Seriously y'all don't worry about 1L summer stuff. Looking back, I'd totally tell past me to chill out about it and I took it less seriously than most people. You'll find something and you'll probably enjoy it.
In fact, don't stress about anything too much. I know that we kinda instill a form of hyper-vigilant terror-gunning on TLS, but it isn't necessary. Go out and drink. Have fun. 1L is a good time and you can do those things and still get good grades. I promise.