Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beepboopbeep

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:28 pm

hibiki wrote:That said, get out of this thread (and most threads) please. TIA. (Stop posting in threads.)

People like scifiguy are why I wish these forums had downvotes.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Tekrul wrote:Still looking for anyone with experience cycling on the Greenway. To recap, I am thinking of commuting to Columbia by bicycle from Christopher street using the Greenway.

Also, what's the deal with laptop exams at Columbia? From what I can tell, it's a choice - one can take either a hand-written exam or a laptop exam. Seems a little unfair for the handwritten exam takers to be graded next to 140+ wpm typists.

this just sounds like a bad idea. this seems terribly inconvenient, especially for 1L year. Also, the subway from Christopher will not take the same time as a bike. Not even remotely close. 45 on a bike. 15-20 on the express train.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:58 pm

kwais wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Still looking for anyone with experience cycling on the Greenway. To recap, I am thinking of commuting to Columbia by bicycle from Christopher street using the Greenway.

Also, what's the deal with laptop exams at Columbia? From what I can tell, it's a choice - one can take either a hand-written exam or a laptop exam. Seems a little unfair for the handwritten exam takers to be graded next to 140+ wpm typists.

this just sounds like a bad idea. this seems terribly inconvenient, especially for 1L year. Also, the subway from Christopher will not take the same time as a bike. Not even remotely close. 45 on a bike. 15-20 on the express train.

Just to clarify, this is your opinion with biking on the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway specifically? I agree that it isn't very convenient for 1L, but I have to commute from Jersey City so convenience has gone out the window. I'm just looking for someone who can speak about the bicycle friendliness of the Greenway.

I think 15-20 minute estimate using the 2/3 express would be a tremendously blessed commute - literally trains arriving when you step into the station and no time lost in waiting for the 1 at Christopher, the 2-3 at 14th, and the 1 again at 96th. The true commute is closer to 30 minutes I would say. Of course, I will be using the metro on cold/hot/rainy/snowy days. But not having to pay for a monthly metro card on top of the monthly PATH card I need would be nice.

Then again, I truly have no idea what the Greenway is like, aside from being a pedestrian and cyclist only road. I'm not sure if it has it's own "traffic" and "rush hour" that will impede my cycling time. Or if the path from Christopher to Morningside Park is bicycle friendly throughout.

one_by_one

Postby one_by_one » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Tekrul wrote:Just to clarify, this is your opinion with biking on the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway specifically? I agree that it isn't very convenient for 1L, but I have to commute from Jersey City so convenience has gone out the window. I'm just looking for someone who can speak about the bicycle friendliness of the Greenway.

I think 15-20 minute estimate using the 2/3 express would be a tremendously blessed commute - literally trains arriving when you step into the station and no time lost in waiting for the 1 at Christopher, the 2-3 at 14th, and the 1 again at 96th. The true commute is closer to 30 minutes I would say. Of course, I will be using the metro on cold/hot/rainy/snowy days. But not having to pay for a monthly metro card on top of the monthly PATH card I need would be nice.

Then again, I truly have no idea what the Greenway is like, aside from being a pedestrian and cyclist only road. I'm not sure if it has it's own "traffic" and "rush hour" that will impede my cycling time. Or if the path from Christopher to Morningside Park is bicycle friendly throughout.

Jumping in here. Can't you just take PATH all the way to 14th street, and take the express from there? Do you need to get off at Christopher for some reason?

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Sorry you're completely right. So instead of getting off at Christopher street to bike, I'd be transferring to the express at 14th from PATH to metro. I was just fixated on getting off at Christopher from the cycling mindset due to that stop's proximity to the Greenway.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:51 pm

What's the schedule normally like for the LRW class? Is it Monday through Friday? Also, I know grocery stores were discussed briefly, but is Westside Market pretty reasonable, compared to others in the area, for produce?

ETA: I just checked the schedule from last year. Looks like legal practice workshop (that's the first 3 week course right?) is once/week for an hour. And legal methods is for a full semester?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:17 pm

ph5354a wrote:What's the schedule normally like for the LRW class? Is it Monday through Friday? Also, I know grocery stores were discussed briefly, but is Westside Market pretty reasonable, compared to others in the area, for produce?

ETA: I just checked the schedule from last year. Looks like legal practice workshop (that's the first 3 week course right?) is once/week for an hour. And legal methods is for a full semester?

Legal methods goes for the first three weeks and ends before regular classes start. LPW (what we call legal writing) meets once per week, starting during legal methods and continuing until just before finals.

Westside Market has everything you need but is expensive relative to what you'd be used to if you come from a normal city. Trader Joe's down on 72nd is a bit of a haul and is mad busy during peak times but they charge the same prices at every store across the country.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
ph5354a wrote:What's the schedule normally like for the LRW class? Is it Monday through Friday? Also, I know grocery stores were discussed briefly, but is Westside Market pretty reasonable, compared to others in the area, for produce?

Legal methods goes for the first three weeks and ends before regular classes start. LPW (what we call legal writing) meets once per week, starting during legal methods and continuing until just before finals.

And legal methods meets for 1hr 50m a day, with projects of some sort of to work on outside of class? (Thought I remembered reading that on one of these threads, could be conflating).

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Legal methods met for like 2 hours in the morning and an hour in the afternoon five days a week. Something like that. No projects or anything at least in my section but we had a fair amount of reading for each class. Other classes had almost no reading. Either way don't take it too seriously. It's graded credit/fail and no one fails.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Legal methods met for like 2 hours in the morning and an hour in the afternoon five days a week. Something like that. No projects or anything at least in my section but we had a fair amount of reading for each class. Other classes had almost no reading. Either way don't take it too seriously. It's graded credit/fail and no one fails.

This. Just hope you get Bobbitt, since you have parties, guest speakers, etc.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Legal methods met for like 2 hours in the morning and an hour in the afternoon five days a week. Something like that. No projects or anything at least in my section but we had a fair amount of reading for each class. Other classes had almost no reading. Either way don't take it too seriously. It's graded credit/fail and no one fails.

Huh. Thanks. Believe me, the don't take it too seriously message has come across loud and clear, just curious is all.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 pm

MCFC wrote:

Huh. Thanks. Believe me, the don't take it too seriously message has come across loud and clear, just curious is all.

Just to make sure it does, I'm going to needlessly echo it for anyone who might be lurking: DON'T TAKE LEGAL METHODS SERIOUSLY. If you have Bobbitt, rejoice. If you have anyone else, relax and blow off most of the work. You can read if you want to (class would probably be pretty boring otherwise) but if you're ever in the situation where it is should I study or should I X, do the thing that isn't studying.

Also, because the exam comes like a month after the class ends when you're doing actual work, you're going to be tempted into preparing for it. You might even think it'll be like preparing for an actual law school exam. It isn't and don't waste time doing so. If your "outline" is longer than a page (or, alternatively is anything more than your class notes) you're probably doing it wrong.

That said, you actually will learn some useful things during Legal Methods. I'm glad it exists even if it is kind of a joke.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Fairway is also a solid grocery store. It's on 125th right off the exit from the west side highway. There's another one a few blocks north of the trader joe's on 72nd in case that's more convenient for some reason. And yea that trader joes gets pretty busy. But they also have like 50 registers so its not quite as bad as it looks (still pretty bad though).

Westside, Milano, and Morton Williams are secondary choices. Good for maybe picking up 1-2 things you just feel like eating that day that wasn't covered in your weekly trip but not for your regular groceries.

Edit: on the off-chance that anyone here is using the dining plan, Westside accepts FLEX. Also, they have pretty good built-to-order salad bowls and a deli counter inside. Don't count on saving money on these compared to restaurants though. You'll basically only save tip.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:26 am

Ah thanks everyone, I was totally conflating Legal Methods and LPW. It sounds like we'll need to be ready to really throw ourselves into some serious academic work come August.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:58 am

Don't worry, both are equally a joke. You could conflate the two all 1L year and still come out fine.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:07 am

Tekrul wrote:Fairway is also a solid grocery store. It's on 125th right off the exit from the west side highway. There's another one a few blocks north of the trader joe's on 72nd in case that's more convenient for some reason. And yea that trader joes gets pretty busy. But they also have like 50 registers so its not quite as bad as it looks (still pretty bad though).

Westside, Milano, and Morton Williams are secondary choices. Good for maybe picking up 1-2 things you just feel like eating that day that wasn't covered in your weekly trip but not for your regular groceries.

Edit: on the off-chance that anyone here is using the dining plan, Westside accepts FLEX. Also, they have pretty good built-to-order salad bowls and a deli counter inside. Don't count on saving money on these compared to restaurants though. You'll basically only save tip.

Thanks Ken. Follow-up: do you know anything about D'ag Market?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 am

ph5354a wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Fairway is also a solid grocery store. It's on 125th right off the exit from the west side highway. There's another one a few blocks north of the trader joe's on 72nd in case that's more convenient for some reason. And yea that trader joes gets pretty busy. But they also have like 50 registers so its not quite as bad as it looks (still pretty bad though).

Thanks Ken. Follow-up: do you know anything about D'ag Market?

They post a flyer every Friday with sales. My friend goes there a lot and seems to like it.

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:46 am

MET foodmarket on 123rd and Amsterdam is relatively cheap, local grocery. Not as nice as other places, but it's where I do 90% of my weekly food shopping.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Does anyone know someone living in 535 W. 111th? I'm coming into town June 22-23 and my future roommate won't be in town then --it'd be nice just to get a feel for the building/elevator to prepare for move-in. Thanks!

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 pm

So I have come to understand that the gym is no good.
However, is it just less than ideal, or is it so horrifying as to warrant getting a membership somewhere else?
If the second option, any recommendations for a good gym by campus?
Thanks!

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:So I have come to understand that the gym is no good.
However, is it just less than ideal, or is it so horrifying as to warrant getting a membership somewhere else?
Thanks!

former.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:45 pm

djwjddl wrote:
Thanks!

former.

That is what I wanted to hear, thanks a lot!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:17 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:
djwjddl wrote:
Thanks!

former.

That is what I wanted to hear, thanks a lot!

I'd say get a membership somewhere else if those weren't so damn expensive.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am

#knowsallthepunchcodestothebettergymfacilities #formerathlete #bangbang

God I hate myself

Edit: ill share them with you donaghy but we dont know each other

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:58 am

Tekrul wrote:#knowsallthepunchcodestothebettergymfacilities #formerathlete #bangbang

God I hate myself

Edit: ill share them with you donaghy but we dont know each other

Dude, I have a pretty nice sized appt right across from the law school and will totally let you chill at my place between classes if you get me in to the better gym facility.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”