Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Kitkatt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Kitkatt » Wed May 15, 2013 2:11 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Kitkatt wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
Kitkatt wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the kitchenettes in the UAH housing? As someone who cooked every day in undergrad to save money I'm somewhat concerned


oh god...is that what your new assignment is?? That sucks.


I had a full kitchen and dining room in my first assignment. I'm near tears right now.


What were the prices of the two options? I would hope that if you're getting screwed on a full kitchen you'll at least be saving some money.


Rents only about 100 cheaper a month and utilities are not included with the new assignment and they were in the last. I got completely screwed.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 15, 2013 2:58 pm

at least you guys have housing assignments..

if I really don't like my assigned 1BDR I'm just going to live in UWS ;/

User avatar
Kitkatt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Kitkatt » Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 am

jbagelboy wrote:at least you guys have housing assignments..

if I really don't like my assigned 1BDR I'm just going to live in UWS ;/


I'm sorry :/ I've definitely calmed down about it. I don't think I would've been upset if I hadn't seen what I am now missing out on. I'm sure you'll get yours soon!

Dun
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:55 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Dun » Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to share all these tips with us.

I'm looking at cell phone plans and found this thread from last year:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=190217

Has anything changed? I'm specifically interested in knowing if Sprint service inside has inside since I currently have a Virgin Mobile plan that runs on the Sprint network.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Bronck » Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Dun wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to share all these tips with us.

I'm looking at cell phone plans and found this thread from last year:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=190217

Has anything changed? I'm specifically interested in knowing if Sprint service inside has inside since I currently have a Virgin Mobile plan that runs on the Sprint network.

Thanks in advance!


I get shit coverage in the law school with T-Mobile, but it's generally fine in the city. No idea about other carriers

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tekrul » Thu May 16, 2013 4:37 pm

In my UG experience, all of my iPhone carrying buddies on AT&T were always, always whining about having no service. Verizon was rock solid throughout campus. Now the iPhone comes on many carriers so I can't pinpoint AT&T users anymore, but I imagine it hasn't changed dramatically.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby djwjddl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:31 am

Posted this over in the c/o 2016 thread, but thought it'd get more traction here. Any current students living in lenfest know if we can store/remove any unwanted furniture provided by the school somewhere? I'm specifically referring to that annoying and awkward one person seat/couch with an attached table.

User avatar
Audeamus
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Audeamus » Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 pm

this has probably been asked already but does anyone know if it is possible to get the dimensions/square footage/floor plan of our housing assignment? Thanks!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Bronck » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Audeamus wrote:this has probably been asked already but does anyone know if it is possible to get the dimensions/square footage/floor plan of our housing assignment? Thanks!


call and ask housing if it's not listed on the uah website

User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat May 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Sorry, posted this in the Class of 2016 thread as well. I got my UAH housing assignment yesterday and the cost/month comes out to ~ $980/month w/o utilities. Is that pretty much as cheap as it gets? Or should I decline the offer and request something cheaper? I don't want to get screwed out of housing, but my number one priority is saving money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Kind of Blue wrote:Sorry, posted this in the Class of 2016 thread as well. I got my UAH housing assignment yesterday and the cost/month comes out to ~ $980/month w/o utilities. Is that pretty much as cheap as it gets? Or should I decline the offer and request something cheaper? I don't want to get screwed out of housing, but my number one priority is saving money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


Mine this year was in the low-mids 900s, but yours is definitely on the cheaper side.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby djwjddl » Sat May 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Can all exams be taken on your laptop or do some professors still do blue book exams?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 pm

djwjddl wrote:Can all exams be taken on your laptop or do some professors still do blue book exams?


I haven't heard of any professor requiring handwritten exams. We used SofTest for each one this year (though one professor did require hand-writing T/F -- short answer questions).

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby djwjddl » Sat May 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks. Do most, if not all, 1L class professors carry out open book exams?

User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Bronck wrote:
Kind of Blue wrote:Sorry, posted this in the Class of 2016 thread as well. I got my UAH housing assignment yesterday and the cost/month comes out to ~ $980/month w/o utilities. Is that pretty much as cheap as it gets? Or should I decline the offer and request something cheaper? I don't want to get screwed out of housing, but my number one priority is saving money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


Mine this year was in the low-mids 900s, but yours is definitely on the cheaper side.


So, not worth requesting something else?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:22 pm

djwjddl wrote:Thanks. Do most, if not all, 1L class professors carry out open book exams?


All of mine did, at least.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Kind of Blue wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Kind of Blue wrote:Sorry, posted this in the Class of 2016 thread as well. I got my UAH housing assignment yesterday and the cost/month comes out to ~ $980/month w/o utilities. Is that pretty much as cheap as it gets? Or should I decline the offer and request something cheaper? I don't want to get screwed out of housing, but my number one priority is saving money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


Mine this year was in the low-mids 900s, but yours is definitely on the cheaper side.


So, not worth requesting something else?


Based on my knowledge, no. Especially after the [slight] price increases, that's a pretty solid deal. Utilities are pretty inexpensive as well, so you can probably get by with just over $1k a month in housing expenses.

User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat May 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Bronck wrote:
Kind of Blue wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Kind of Blue wrote:Sorry, posted this in the Class of 2016 thread as well. I got my UAH housing assignment yesterday and the cost/month comes out to ~ $980/month w/o utilities. Is that pretty much as cheap as it gets? Or should I decline the offer and request something cheaper? I don't want to get screwed out of housing, but my number one priority is saving money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


Mine this year was in the low-mids 900s, but yours is definitely on the cheaper side.


So, not worth requesting something else?


Based on my knowledge, no. Especially after the [slight] price increases, that's a pretty solid deal. Utilities are pretty inexpensive as well, so you can probably get by with just over $1k a month in housing expenses.


Okay, thanks. Going to be sooooooo poor.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby smaug_ » Sat May 18, 2013 2:42 pm

djwjddl wrote:Thanks. Do most, if not all, 1L class professors carry out open book exams?


There was at least one 1L section that had a closed book exam. (I think.) There may be more, but almost all of the professors do open book exams, the majority of which are in-class.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat May 18, 2013 2:46 pm

I had one closed book exam but that's definitely not the norm.

User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 pm

On another note, why do you think that Columbia lags behind peer schools in federal clerkship placement? Is it a result of self-selection, culture of the school, or are Columbia students somehow less competitive?

Also, TLS seems to suggest a pretty big difference between HYS and CLS, in terms of prestigious non-biglaw employment prospects, whether it be BigFed or PI. Do you think this is based in reality?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Kind of Blue wrote:On another note, why do you think that Columbia lags behind peer schools in federal clerkship placement? Is it a result of self-selection, culture of the school, or are Columbia students somehow less competitive?

Also, TLS seems to suggest a pretty big difference between HYS and CLS, in terms of prestigious non-biglaw employment prospects, whether it be BigFed or PI. Do you think this is based in reality?


Probably self-selection. All non-HYS schools place poorly into fed clerkships and hover around 10%.

And yes, CLS is a one-trick pony: NYC big law.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby djwjddl » Sat May 18, 2013 5:51 pm

How is foundation year moot court graded, if at all?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat May 18, 2013 6:03 pm

djwjddl wrote:How is foundation year moot court graded, if at all?

It's not. Just credit/no credit and I don't think anyone fails to get credit. That said, you spend second semester working on your brief in your legal writing class and that is graded on the HP/P scale (no one gets the low pass or fail.) I think the instructor can give one HP out of about 12 people. All in all, moot court and legal writing are just annoying but not anything to stress over.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 6:36 pm

^ Yup. I put in virtually no effort.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests