Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kitkatt

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Kitkatt » Wed May 15, 2013 2:11 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Kitkatt wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
Kitkatt wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the kitchenettes in the UAH housing? As someone who cooked every day in undergrad to save money I'm somewhat concerned

oh god...is that what your new assignment is?? That sucks.

I had a full kitchen and dining room in my first assignment. I'm near tears right now.

What were the prices of the two options? I would hope that if you're getting screwed on a full kitchen you'll at least be saving some money.

Rents only about 100 cheaper a month and utilities are not included with the new assignment and they were in the last. I got completely screwed.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 15, 2013 2:58 pm

at least you guys have housing assignments..

if I really don't like my assigned 1BDR I'm just going to live in UWS ;/

Kitkatt

Postby Kitkatt » Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 am

jbagelboy wrote:at least you guys have housing assignments..

if I really don't like my assigned 1BDR I'm just going to live in UWS ;/

I'm sorry :/ I've definitely calmed down about it. I don't think I would've been upset if I hadn't seen what I am now missing out on. I'm sure you'll get yours soon!

Dun

Postby Dun » Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to share all these tips with us.

I'm looking at cell phone plans and found this thread from last year:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=190217

Has anything changed? I'm specifically interested in knowing if Sprint service inside has inside since I currently have a Virgin Mobile plan that runs on the Sprint network.

Thanks in advance!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Dun wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to share all these tips with us.

I'm looking at cell phone plans and found this thread from last year:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=190217

Has anything changed? I'm specifically interested in knowing if Sprint service inside has inside since I currently have a Virgin Mobile plan that runs on the Sprint network.

Thanks in advance!

I get shit coverage in the law school with T-Mobile, but it's generally fine in the city. No idea about other carriers

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Thu May 16, 2013 4:37 pm

In my UG experience, all of my iPhone carrying buddies on AT&T were always, always whining about having no service. Verizon was rock solid throughout campus. Now the iPhone comes on many carriers so I can't pinpoint AT&T users anymore, but I imagine it hasn't changed dramatically.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:31 am

Posted this over in the c/o 2016 thread, but thought it'd get more traction here. Any current students living in lenfest know if we can store/remove any unwanted furniture provided by the school somewhere? I'm specifically referring to that annoying and awkward one person seat/couch with an attached table.

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 pm

this has probably been asked already but does anyone know if it is possible to get the dimensions/square footage/floor plan of our housing assignment? Thanks!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Audeamus wrote:this has probably been asked already but does anyone know if it is possible to get the dimensions/square footage/floor plan of our housing assignment? Thanks!

call and ask housing if it's not listed on the uah website

Kind of Blue

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat May 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Sorry, posted this in the Class of 2016 thread as well. I got my UAH housing assignment yesterday and the cost/month comes out to ~ $980/month w/o utilities. Is that pretty much as cheap as it gets? Or should I decline the offer and request something cheaper? I don't want to get screwed out of housing, but my number one priority is saving money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Kind of Blue wrote:Sorry, posted this in the Class of 2016 thread as well. I got my UAH housing assignment yesterday and the cost/month comes out to ~ $980/month w/o utilities. Is that pretty much as cheap as it gets? Or should I decline the offer and request something cheaper? I don't want to get screwed out of housing, but my number one priority is saving money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mine this year was in the low-mids 900s, but yours is definitely on the cheaper side.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Sat May 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Can all exams be taken on your laptop or do some professors still do blue book exams?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 pm

djwjddl wrote:Can all exams be taken on your laptop or do some professors still do blue book exams?

I haven't heard of any professor requiring handwritten exams. We used SofTest for each one this year (though one professor did require hand-writing T/F -- short answer questions).

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Sat May 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks. Do most, if not all, 1L class professors carry out open book exams?

Kind of Blue

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Bronck wrote:
Kind of Blue wrote:Sorry, posted this in the Class of 2016 thread as well. I got my UAH housing assignment yesterday and the cost/month comes out to ~ $980/month w/o utilities. Is that pretty much as cheap as it gets? Or should I decline the offer and request something cheaper? I don't want to get screwed out of housing, but my number one priority is saving money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mine this year was in the low-mids 900s, but yours is definitely on the cheaper side.

So, not worth requesting something else?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:22 pm

djwjddl wrote:Thanks. Do most, if not all, 1L class professors carry out open book exams?

All of mine did, at least.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Kind of Blue wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Based on my knowledge, no. Especially after the [slight] price increases, that's a pretty solid deal. Utilities are pretty inexpensive as well, so you can probably get by with just over $1k a month in housing expenses.

Kind of Blue

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat May 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Bronck wrote:
Kind of Blue wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Based on my knowledge, no. Especially after the [slight] price increases, that's a pretty solid deal. Utilities are pretty inexpensive as well, so you can probably get by with just over $1k a month in housing expenses.

Okay, thanks. Going to be sooooooo poor.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat May 18, 2013 2:42 pm

djwjddl wrote:Thanks. Do most, if not all, 1L class professors carry out open book exams?

There was at least one 1L section that had a closed book exam. (I think.) There may be more, but almost all of the professors do open book exams, the majority of which are in-class.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat May 18, 2013 2:46 pm

I had one closed book exam but that's definitely not the norm.

Kind of Blue

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 pm

On another note, why do you think that Columbia lags behind peer schools in federal clerkship placement? Is it a result of self-selection, culture of the school, or are Columbia students somehow less competitive?

Also, TLS seems to suggest a pretty big difference between HYS and CLS, in terms of prestigious non-biglaw employment prospects, whether it be BigFed or PI. Do you think this is based in reality?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Kind of Blue wrote:On another note, why do you think that Columbia lags behind peer schools in federal clerkship placement? Is it a result of self-selection, culture of the school, or are Columbia students somehow less competitive?

Also, TLS seems to suggest a pretty big difference between HYS and CLS, in terms of prestigious non-biglaw employment prospects, whether it be BigFed or PI. Do you think this is based in reality?

Probably self-selection. All non-HYS schools place poorly into fed clerkships and hover around 10%.

And yes, CLS is a one-trick pony: NYC big law.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Sat May 18, 2013 5:51 pm

How is foundation year moot court graded, if at all?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat May 18, 2013 6:03 pm

djwjddl wrote:How is foundation year moot court graded, if at all?

It's not. Just credit/no credit and I don't think anyone fails to get credit. That said, you spend second semester working on your brief in your legal writing class and that is graded on the HP/P scale (no one gets the low pass or fail.) I think the instructor can give one HP out of about 12 people. All in all, moot court and legal writing are just annoying but not anything to stress over.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 6:36 pm

^ Yup. I put in virtually no effort.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”