Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph5354a

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Tekrul wrote:Didn't we all get tear drop tattoos under our right eyes? Did I get a face tattoo for nothing!?

Lol jk, no I kinda want to know the answer to this too.

I like you, Kenneth. Can I feel the rough skin on your hands?

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Man, you've lost touch with your roots. That was weird.

Edit: I am literally watching 30 Rock now. Not that episode but I might flip to it now lol.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Tekrul wrote:Man, you've lost touch with your roots. That was weird.

Edit: I am literally watching 30 Rock now. Not that episode but I might flip to it now lol.

Don't you hate it when you lose your remote.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Grr couch cushion.

Sigh, too bad we won't be classmates.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Tekrul wrote:Grr couch cushion.

Sigh, too bad we won't be classmates.

And then your wife gets mad at you because the roof won't close and it's raining on the bed that's shaped like your face.

We were meant to be classmates. I have faith that CLS will come around for you.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Sorry about that *hands you some folded up hundos*

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Ph, we actually need to meet up in real life and get drinks or something. You know, numbers twins and all :D

Then we can watch 30 Rock with Tekrul since (s)he is getting in!

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Tagging, nothing to see here.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 pm

moonman157 wrote:Ph, we actually need to meet up in real life and get drinks or something. You know, numbers twins and all :D

Then we can watch 30 Rock with Tekrul since (s)he is getting in!

Yes please!! Is it too early to start planning a TLS orientation meet up?

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Does CLS do flag football?

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Rent is billed monthly, and rates are significantly higher than in other UAH units. Tenants in Lionsgate are not eligible to transfer into other UAH buildings.

If you're not bringing a family or an SO, why would you choose Lionsgate over Lenfest?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 pm

smdpnp wrote:
Rent is billed monthly, and rates are significantly higher than in other UAH units. Tenants in Lionsgate are not eligible to transfer into other UAH buildings.

If you're not bringing a family or an SO, why would you choose Lionsgate over Lenfest?

The apartment shares are way cheaper than Lenfest studios, and some people want roommates. Lenfest is also furnished, and the furniture is mostly ikea-esque stuff: not everyone's style. I don't know what mix of furnished/unfurnished is in Lionsgate, but I got the impression that if you want unfurnished you can get it.

<- 0L, grain of salt, etc.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:The apartment shares are way cheaper than Lenfest studios, and some people want roommates. Lenfest is also furnished, and the furniture is mostly ikea-esque stuff: not everyone's style. I don't know what mix of furnished/unfurnished is in Lionsgate, but I got the impression that if you want unfurnished you can get it.

Oh right, Lionsgate has apartment shares. Did you take a look at them? I only had time to check out Lenfest studios when I was on campus.

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:12 pm

smdpnp wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:The apartment shares are way cheaper than Lenfest studios, and some people want roommates. Lenfest is also furnished, and the furniture is mostly ikea-esque stuff: not everyone's style. I don't know what mix of furnished/unfurnished is in Lionsgate, but I got the impression that if you want unfurnished you can get it.

Oh right, Lionsgate has apartment shares. Did you take a look at them? I only had time to check out Lenfest studios when I was on campus.

How were the Lenfest studios?
Size/quality? What's the furniture like?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 pm

In terms of the lease-signing for campus housing, can you only sign the lease on your move in day/when the lease starts, or can you come up at an earlier date (like sometime in July), and sign your lease which would start at a later date? If you did that, then you would only have to pick up the keys before moving in, right? The thought of rolling up to the housing office with a truck full of my life's possessions and double parking while I sign off on mountains of paperwork is terrifying.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:24 pm

ph5354a wrote:In terms of the lease-signing for campus housing, can you only sign the lease on your move in day/when the lease starts, or can you come up at an earlier date (like sometime in July), and sign your lease which would start at a later date? If you did that, then you would only have to pick up the keys before moving in, right? The thought of rolling up to the housing office with a truck full of my life's possessions and double parking while I sign off on mountains of paperwork is terrifying.

Honestly not sure. If others don't know, I'd email/call Juliana, the housing liaison for the law school, and ask. I always go through her instead of CU in general.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:
smdpnp wrote:Oh right, Lionsgate has apartment shares. Did you take a look at them? I only had time to check out Lenfest studios when I was on campus.

How were the Lenfest studios?

Can't say much on quality. I went to studios that weren't listed on the program, so the rooms were pretty messy. I liked what I saw, though. The building's very well-maintained, the amenities are nice, and the furniture's an upgrade of what I had in UG. I'm someone who'd rather study in his apartment than at the library, and I could see myself doing that comfortably in Lenfest.

What turns me off is the monthly rent. Previous 1Ls said that Columbia subsidizes housing ITT, but $2000/month for a room is pretty steep.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:How were the Lenfest studios?

They were decently large, but agreed with smd that they are super expensive for what they are. The furniture is pretty dorm-y.

smdpnp wrote:Did you take a look at them? I only had time to check out Lenfest studios when I was on campus.

I didn't either, unfortunately! I've been hoping for a studio, so lionsgate wasn't really on my radar.

you'rethemannowdawg

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Any idea how easy it is to get Chicago biglaw from Columbia? On LST it says less than 5% went there. Can this mostly be attributed to self selection?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:25 pm

KingFish wrote:Does CLS do flag football?

People definitely do flag football. I think there's a larger community group outside of Columbia that does something as well.

Any idea how easy it is to get Chicago biglaw from Columbia? On LST it says less than 5% went there. Can this mostly be attributed to self selection?

I get the impression that it might be relatively difficult to get. Some of the places who have Chicago offices don't interview for them through EIP, but I'm sure an older student has a better response to this. If you know you want Chicago and have a comparable option in Chicago (Chi or NU) I'd go there. If it's just one option among many, you're probably safer, just be prepared to do work outside of EIP and be prepared for OCS to not be helpful in that area.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 pm

hibiki wrote:I get the impression that it might be relatively difficult to get. Some of the places who have Chicago offices don't interview for them through EIP, but I'm sure an older student has a better response to this. If you know you want Chicago and have a comparable option in Chicago (Chi or NU) I'd go there. If it's just one option among many, you're probably safer, just be prepared to do work outside of EIP and be prepared for OCS to not be helpful in that area.

+1, especially to the bold

e.g., KE and Sidley Chi don't do OCI here.

CLS's advantage over other schools is one thing: NYC biglaw. Other than that it's pretty fungible with other T14 schools.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:46 am

Does anyone have a link to interior photos of lionsgate shares and the 115/116 apartments. I can't seem to find any pics. Thanks

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 pm

KingFish wrote:Does anyone have a link to interior photos of lionsgate shares and the 115/116 apartments. I can't seem to find any pics. Thanks

Also interested in this.
Any review of the 115/116 apartments generally?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:
KingFish wrote:Does anyone have a link to interior photos of lionsgate shares and the 115/116 apartments. I can't seem to find any pics. Thanks

Also interested in this.
Any review of the 115/116 apartments generally?

Also interested. I want a studio on 116th so bad it hurts.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm

http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/intro-ocha-3

edit: nobody on NYU boards will be friends with me so I'm hanging out here

this link is to Columbia's off-campus housing assistance program. it's a pretty good resource.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”