Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tortuga

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby tortuga » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:51 am

Bronck wrote:
tortuga wrote:Do any of you do your course readings on an iPad or tablet? Is there any downside to buying digital textbooks for studying or outlining later in the semester?

Thanks!

Do whatever you can to save money. Makes no difference whether you read it on paper or on the computer. You're never going to touch the CB again after you finish the reading anyway. The CBs are a flame.

word. Thanks again!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:45 am

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:Has anyone lived in Lionsgate before? I am specifically interested in the apartments shares.
The rent doesn't seem that much higher than UAH and it's right next to campus. Thoughts?

Lionsgate seems like a nice place, but it's four blocks from Campus, not right next door.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:13 am

Has anyone seen the studios in 420 116th? How small are those?

permapress

Postby permapress » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 am

hey guys, what does a typical 1L day look like? originally i was pretty gungho on getting involved with student organizations, etc. but i've been hearing that the schedule is extremely intense and you'd be better off buckling down with working/studying. do ppl who attempt to balance the two suffer grade-wise?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 am

permapress wrote:hey guys, what does a typical 1L day look like? originally i was pretty gungho on getting involved with student organizations, etc. but i've been hearing that the schedule is extremely intense and you'd be better off buckling down with working/studying. do ppl who attempt to balance the two suffer grade-wise?

You'll be in class about 12-15 hours a week. For most of the semester you'll put in around an hour or so outside of class for every hour in it. So now we're at 25-30 hours. Can you handle the intensity?!?!??!!

In all seriousness, you should get involved but go slowly so as not to overextend yourself. The real problems come later on in the semester when the workload for school picks up.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
permapress wrote:hey guys, what does a typical 1L day look like? originally i was pretty gungho on getting involved with student organizations, etc. but i've been hearing that the schedule is extremely intense and you'd be better off buckling down with working/studying. do ppl who attempt to balance the two suffer grade-wise?

You'll be in class about 12-15 hours a week. For most of the semester you'll put in around an hour or so outside of class for every hour in it. So now we're at 25-30 hours. Can you handle the intensity?!?!??!!

In all seriousness, you should get involved but go slowly so as not to overextend yourself. The real problems come later on in the semester when the workload for school picks up.

Yeah, man. For the first two months of the semester you'll be inundated with FREE TIME. OH NOES. Seriously, outside of the finals build up, law school is a joke workload-wise

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:52 am

So does that mean that getting a 10-12 hour/week job at an office on campus (in an area in which you already have experience and have worked full time) is doable, as long as they're flexible during finals time?

jubee

Postby jubee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:03 am

since ppl are around i'm bumping my previous question :D

jubee wrote:does anyone know if the building super wont store the bed that comes with furnished apartments in the basement, that you can bring the bed offsite/out of the building for storage somewhere else or will they not allow you to do that- either prevent you or will fine/charge you? I have relatives living not too far where I could store the bed, i really don't care about dormy furniture that much but would like the bigger bed like most people.

relatedly- have there ever been issues with bedbugs?

also- if I possibly do 1L summer in DC is is kinda dumb to do unfurnished and have to deal with storing allllll my furniture somewhere? or is it worth it (i.e. furniture is that bad/unfurnished is THAT much cheaper)

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:03 am

ph5354a wrote:So does that mean that getting a 10-12 hour/week job at an office on campus (in an area in which you already have experience and have worked full time) is doable, as long as they're flexible during finals time?

It's possible but I personally wouldn't do it 1L year

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 am

Bronck wrote:
ph5354a wrote:So does that mean that getting a 10-12 hour/week job at an office on campus (in an area in which you already have experience and have worked full time) is doable, as long as they're flexible during finals time?

I agree. I generally avoid commitments wherever possible.

Sorry I don't know anything about storing furniture, but I'd stick with the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy when it comes to moving things in and out.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Sorry I don't know anything about storing furniture, but I'd stick with the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy when it comes to moving things in and out.

Good work on the class skippage today, good sir. TBF, there's almost no one in property today.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 am

Bronck wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Good work on the class skippage today, good sir. TBF, there's almost no one in property today.

FWIW I'm outlining property. Figured that was a better use of time.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 am

ph5354a wrote:Has anyone seen the studios in 420 116th? How small are those?

Bumping this if either of you have any info on it. Thanks for all of your help!

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:21 am

jubee wrote:since ppl are around i'm bumping my previous question :D

jubee wrote:does anyone know if the building super wont store the bed that comes with furnished apartments in the basement, that you can bring the bed offsite/out of the building for storage somewhere else or will they not allow you to do that- either prevent you or will fine/charge you? I have relatives living not too far where I could store the bed, i really don't care about dormy furniture that much but would like the bigger bed like most people.

also- if I possibly do 1L summer in DC is is kinda dumb to do unfurnished and have to deal with storing allllll my furniture somewhere? or is it worth it (i.e. furniture is that bad/unfurnished is THAT much cheaper)

(1) If you're going to buy your own bed anyway, I'd recommend going with an unfurnished apartment. You'll probably be in the place for three years, and from what I hear subletting over the summer is not all that difficult (and you might end up staying in town anyway). ETA: I'm off-campus though, so some 2L or 3L who did unfurnished UAH and wanted to sublet can probably tell you better than me!

(2) It's NYC; there's a risk of bedbugs basically everywhere. But I haven't heard many horror stories re: UAH. That said, people don't tend to broadcast it when they *do* have a bedbug problem, so it's hard to say.
Last edited by thunderflesh on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:26 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:FWIW I'm outlining property. Figured that was a better use of time.

I'm OLing in class.

BTW, how long is your prop OL? Mine is massive... I expect it'll be 50ish pages with all content... gotta cut it to like 30 for the final... we covered so much content

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:39 am

Bronck wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:FWIW I'm outlining property. Figured that was a better use of time.

I'm OLing in class.

BTW, how long is your prop OL? Mine is massive... I expect it'll be 50ish pages with all content... gotta cut it to like 30 for the final... we covered so much content

It's massive. Gonna be my longest.

ph5354a wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Has anyone seen the studios in 420 116th? How small are those?

Bumping this if either of you have any info on it. Thanks for all of your help!

I've only see a one-bedroom apt. on that block, and it was pretty small. Can't imagine the studios are very big at all.

RE: Bedbugs. When you move in they give you notice of whether there have been any bedbug situations reported in your building in recent years, what floor they were found on, and whether the problem has been solved. This may or may not make you feel better. FWIW my building had no incidents in that time (I think it was five years.)

jubee

Postby jubee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:43 am

thunderflesh wrote:

(1) If you're going to buy your own bed anyway, I'd recommend going with an unfurnished apartment. You'll probably be in the place for three years, and from what I hear subletting over the summer is not all that difficult (and you might end up staying in town anyway). ETA: I'm off-campus though, so some 2L or 3L who did unfurnished UAH and wanted to sublet can probably tell you better than me!

(2) It's NYC; there's a risk of bedbugs basically everywhere. But I haven't heard many horror stories re: UAH. That said, people don't tend to broadcast it when they *do* have a bedbug problem, so it's hard to say.

thank you thank you! so people often keep the same apartment all three years, and the lease runs over the summer so you keep paying for it and sublet it to someone? and when/if you sublet, you leave your own furniture in the apartment so no need to store then? That sounds good although maybe i'm a little OCD but subletting and having someone I don't know really sleep in my bed creeps me out. Does anyone sublet but ask the person to bring their own bed? haha

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm

tortuga wrote:
Bronck wrote:
tortuga wrote:Do any of you do your course readings on an iPad or tablet? Is there any downside to buying digital textbooks for studying or outlining later in the semester?

Thanks!

Do whatever you can to save money. Makes no difference whether you read it on paper or on the computer. You're never going to touch the CB again after you finish the reading anyway. The CBs are a flame.

word. Thanks again!

Advantages and disadvantages to using digital textbooks. On one hand, you can carry them anywhere you have your tablet (casebooks are heavy!), you can redo highlighting / notes, and you can use a search function to look for key words. On the other hand, you can't quickly flip through pages, reading off a tablet could strain your eyes a lot more than reading paper pages, and taking annotations is more challenging on a tablet.

I'd recommend you try out a few E&Es from the Kindle store to see if you are comfortable using a tablet for reading before committing to reading an entire casebook on your tablet. Also, if you're ever going to be out of town and need to do reading, the school library has fast scanners you can use to scan specific chapters you'll need and read those on your tablet instead of taking your casebooks.

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:26 pm

jubee wrote:
thunderflesh wrote:

thank you thank you! so people often keep the same apartment all three years, and the lease runs over the summer so you keep paying for it and sublet it to someone? and when/if you sublet, you leave your own furniture in the apartment so no need to store then? That sounds good although maybe i'm a little OCD but subletting and having someone I don't know really sleep in my bed creeps me out. Does anyone sublet but ask the person to bring their own bed? haha

http://web.law.columbia.edu/students/st ... subletting

Buy new sheets when you get back?

jubee

Postby jubee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:44 pm

jubee wrote: thank you thank you! so people often keep the same apartment all three years, and the lease runs over the summer so you keep paying for it and sublet it to someone? and when/if you sublet, you leave your own furniture in the apartment so no need to store then? That sounds good although maybe i'm a little OCD but subletting and having someone I don't know really sleep in my bed creeps me out. Does anyone sublet but ask the person to bring their own bed? haha

http://web.law.columbia.edu/students/student-services/living/housing/subletting

Buy new sheets when you get back?

haha thanks! I guess i'll just flip my mattress :D. so do people sublet their apartments to students only or anyone? for full rent price?
and in general, do most people decide to stay in their same apartment continuously? can you decide to apply to housing again for a new place 2L, say with a law school friend you made, is that common?

sorry for bombarding everyone with questions but the housing app deadline is coming up and i'm trying to sort it all out!

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Jubee, not sure if you were at ASD yesterday, but fwiw, Juliana Utley was extremely helpful for me. It seems like some of the policies/rules listed on the website are more flexible than they seem*, so I would recommend giving her a call and telling her what you're looking for, and she should be able to guide you through the application.

If you have questions that are not answered at the UAH website, please contact Juliana Utley, the housing liaison for the Law School at housing@law.columbia.edu or 212-854-2343.

*and by that I mean, I can have my dog!! :D :D

GertrudeR

Postby GertrudeR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Ph I think we were definitely brunching together yesterday...

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:14 pm

GertrudeR wrote:Ph I think we were definitely brunching together yesterday...

Ahahaha I knew my canine obsession would out me!

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:23 pm

ph5354a wrote:
GertrudeR wrote:Ph I think we were definitely brunching together yesterday...

Ahahaha I knew my canine obsession would out me!

I have you narrowed down to two people at our brunch table. Either way, I liked you and I hope you go to CLS and I hope they give you lots of money :D

On another note, what exactly is the strategy/etiquette of bringing up TLS in real life? I always want to scream it out during ASD's to see who I know, but I haven't gathered the courage to do so yet.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Didn't we all get tear drop tattoos under our right eyes? Did I get a face tattoo for nothing!?

Lol jk, no I kinda want to know the answer to this too.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”