Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph5354a

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Does doing an internship for credit have any benefits? Does getting credit for it make you ineligible for the PI stipend? Does it make your 2L or 3L years any easier? Does anyone do an internship for credit during the semester?

Don't get me wrong, I love paying for the privilege of working for free and all...

jubee

Postby jubee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 pm

ph5354a wrote:Does doing an internship for credit have any benefits? Does getting credit for it make you ineligible for the PI stipend? Does it make your 2L or 3L years any easier? Does anyone do an internship for credit during the semester?

Don't get me wrong, I love paying for the privilege of working for free and all...

thanks! since you seem to be around answering Q's...any insight on trying to appeal your financial aid offer from columbia- how to do it/how likely getting anything is/are average offers outside of HYSCCN kinda worthless?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm

jubee wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Does doing an internship for credit have any benefits? Does getting credit for it make you ineligible for the PI stipend? Does it make your 2L or 3L years any easier? Does anyone do an internship for credit during the semester?

thanks! since you seem to be around answering Q's...any insight on trying to appeal your financial aid offer from columbia- how to do it/how likely getting anything is/are average offers outside of HYSCCN kinda worthless?

I'm guessing this was meant for Tiago.... either way I'm not too helpful, I haven't appealed CLS yet. I've heard their traditionally pretty stingy though. Good luck :D

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:57 pm

The general rule is: summer internships = no credit, semester internships = credit. Plenty of people (edit: 2Ls and 3Ls) do externships during the semester for credit; they're a good way to build your resume, especially if you're going into PI work.

On a side note, if you're a 0L, I wouldn't worry too much about stuff like that right now =)

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:00 pm

thunderflesh wrote:

The general rule is: summer internships = no credit, semester internships = credit. Plenty of people (edit: 2Ls and 3Ls) do externships during the semester for credit; they're a good way to build your resume, especially if you're going into PI work.

On a side note, if you're a 0L, I wouldn't worry too much about stuff like that right now =)

Thanks!

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 pm

posted this in the c/o 2016 forum, but thought it'd be appropriate here too:

anyone know why columbia locks in their grants for 3 years? i mean the purpose of offering need-based grants is that it's "need-based" and that need can certainly change year-to-year. i'm particularly concerned, as i'm sure others are, because i'm not a k-jd, and i will obviously not be employed in the current position i'm in when i enter law school. Thus, arguably, i should be eligible for more need-based during my second and third year, assuming my parents' financial status remains virtually unchanged, no?

does anyone know if fin aid at cls tries to address this issue somehow?

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:02 pm

djwjddl wrote:posted this in the c/o 2016 forum, but thought it'd be appropriate here too:

anyone know why columbia locks in their grants for 3 years? i mean the purpose of offering need-based grants is that it's "need-based" and that need can certainly change year-to-year. i'm particularly concerned, as i'm sure others are, because i'm not a k-jd, and i will obviously not be employed in the current position i'm in when i enter law school. Thus, arguably, i should be eligible for more need-based during my second and third year, assuming my parents' financial status remains virtually unchanged, no?

If I had to armchair as to *why*, part of it is probably the administrative cost of making effectively three times as many need evaluations (i.e., instead of just evaluating the incoming 1Ls every year, FinAid would have to re-evaluate incoming 2Ls and 3Ls as well). Also, the opportunity cost of not being employed during 1L hits everyone somewhat uniformly (i.e., even the k-jd kids probably would have gotten a job during what became their 1L year, had they not entered law school).

Though you would think there would be circumstances under which an adjustment to need-based aid would be proper (major illness, accident, going on Maury and finding out you had three more kids than you thought...).

howlery

Postby howlery » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:08 pm

thunderflesh wrote:
djwjddl wrote:posted this in the c/o 2016 forum, but thought it'd be appropriate here too:

If I had to armchair as to *why*, part of it is probably the administrative cost of making effectively three times as many need evaluations (i.e., instead of just evaluating the incoming 1Ls every year, FinAid would have to re-evaluate incoming 2Ls and 3Ls as well). Also, the opportunity cost of not being employed during 1L hits everyone somewhat uniformly (i.e., even the k-jd kids probably would have gotten a job during what became their 1L year, had they not entered law school).

Though you would think there would be circumstances under which an adjustment to need-based aid would be proper (major illness, accident, going on Maury and finding out you had three more kids than you thought...).

I'll armchair with you and add that HYS are the only people who really need to re-evaluate every year because the only basis for their awards are need. At CLS, like every other school, its probably a mix of need and/or merit. So if you have a Hamilton are you going to refile your Need Access during 2L to see if you got smarter and deserve more money? I guess you could appeal for more grants later on, but 1) their biggest awards (hamilton and butler) are offered at admission and have their own criteria 2) most people on TLS who appeal seem to get turned down.

Also, everyone quits their job because law students aren't allowed to work full-time while taking classes. Max 20 hours per ABA rules.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 pm

That's because it's not need based.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:47 am

I saw that Columbia only allows UAH subletting during breaks or approved academic fieldwork. Is it unusual for people to be subletting their university apartments during the fall? I'd ideally like to find a sublet for the first semester and then move off campus in January.

ETA: does anyone live on the UES and walk or commute to Columbia, or is that really difficult? How far up can you live in the UES and still be in a safe area? Are the 90s/low 100s okay?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:08 pm

ph5354a wrote:I saw that Columbia only allows UAH subletting during breaks or approved academic fieldwork. Is it unusual for people to be subletting their university apartments during the fall? I'd ideally like to find a sublet for the first semester and then move off campus in January.

ETA: does anyone live on the UES and walk or commute to Columbia, or is that really difficult? How far up can you live in the UES and still be in a safe area? Are the 90s/low 100s okay?

no idea about subletting, but UES traditionally goes to 96th st, and Harlem is perfectly fine up to 100th.

I would NOT walk from there.... The Met is on 86th and that probably takes me 35-45 minutes every time I've walked there... public transportation is going to be annoying unless you want to take the lolbus, even then it's going to be 20-25 minutes.

Why do you want to live on the UES?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Bronck wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I saw that Columbia only allows UAH subletting during breaks or approved academic fieldwork. Is it unusual for people to be subletting their university apartments during the fall? I'd ideally like to find a sublet for the first semester and then move off campus in January.

no idea about subletting, but UES traditionally goes to 96th st, and Harlem is perfectly fine up to 100th.

I would NOT walk from there.... The Met is on 86th and that probably takes me 35-45 minutes every time I've walked there... public transportation is going to be annoying unless you want to take the lolbus, even then it's going to be 20-25 minutes.

Why do you want to live on the UES?

Thanks. I don't, I just noticed in doing some apartment searches that there seemed to be more apts in my price range in that area. I'll definitely try to confine my search to the UWS. I'm going to wait and see what UAH offer I get first though, because that would take a lot of the stress out of my move.

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Hey guys, just got in last week and couldn't be more excited.
Two questions:

1. Do a lot of people go for judicial externships for their 1L summer? Is it hard to get one?

2. Does anyone have experience (or secondhand knowledge) regarding trying to work in Southern California after school (I'm a k-jd who went to UG in LA but no other ties)?

Thanks a lot!

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:Hey guys, just got in last week and couldn't be more excited.
Two questions:

1. Do a lot of people go for judicial externships for their 1L summer? Is it hard to get one?

2. Does anyone have experience (or secondhand knowledge) regarding trying to work in Southern California after school (I'm a k-jd who went to UG in LA but no other ties)?

Thanks a lot!

1. Can't comment specifically, but I think that people who really wanted one were mostly successful in getting one.

2. CA was a slaughterfest this season from what I heard.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:1. Do a lot of people go for judicial externships for their 1L summer? Is it hard to get one?

I doubt many go for it. I have some friends who locked them up in Dec/Jan, but since you don't get law school funding for them, they come across as entirely useless to me.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:06 pm

thunderflesh wrote:

Well, I mean, you can get supervised research credit for the internship over the summer if you write a paper... But yeah, I suppose it doesn't count as getting credit for the internship itself. Also note that getting credit for internships during the semester is only in connection with school-arranged externships, which I honestly have found very limiting.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

timbs, you've mentioned language skills being a factor at OCI. Can you or anyone else say a bit more about which languages help? I want to brush up on a language this summer (my only 0L prep), but don't know any of the East Asian languages :-(

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:57 am

bhan87 wrote:
Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:Hey guys, just got in last week and couldn't be more excited.
Two questions:

Thanks a lot!

1. Can't comment specifically, but I think that people who really wanted one were mostly successful in getting one.

Good or bad slaughterfest?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:11 pm

djwjddl wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Two questions:

Thanks a lot!

Good or bad slaughterfest?

I have no interest in CA, so I didn't pay close attention to the 2012 EIP numbers... but IIRC hardly anyone accepted offers to go back. PM if you want to know more about specific firms/offices.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Columbia students!

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:16 pm

banjo wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

timbs, you've mentioned language skills being a factor at OCI. Can you or anyone else say a bit more about which languages help? I want to brush up on a language this summer (my only 0L prep), but don't know any of the East Asian languages :-(

Off the top of my head, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, Arabic. My advice is not to try and learn one of these languages in the three months before law school. Just relax, go into 1L ready to give it your best shot, and if you end up with an international firm you have two years at a school with a generous grade curve to take easy seminars and learn a language.

jubee

Postby jubee » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm

so this topic has been touched on a little but does anyone know if the building super wont store the bed that comes with furnished apartments in the basement, that you can bring the bed offsite/out of the building for storage somewhere else or will they not allow you to do that- either prevent you or will fine/charge you? I have relatives living not too far where I could store the bed, i really don't care about dormy furniture that much but would like the bigger bed like most people.

relatedly- have there ever been issues with bedbugs?

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Has anyone lived in Lionsgate before? I am specifically interested in the apartments shares.
The rent doesn't seem that much higher than UAH and it's right next to campus. Thoughts?

tortuga

Postby tortuga » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Do any of you do your course readings on an iPad or tablet? Is there any downside to buying digital textbooks for studying or outlining later in the semester?

Thanks!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 am

tortuga wrote:Do any of you do your course readings on an iPad or tablet? Is there any downside to buying digital textbooks for studying or outlining later in the semester?

Thanks!

Do whatever you can to save money. Makes no difference whether you read it on paper or on the computer. You're never going to touch the CB again after you finish the reading anyway. The CBs are a flame.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”