Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
battlerifle13

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby battlerifle13 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Bronck wrote:
battlerifle13 wrote:Would it be insane for me to live in Tribeca and commute 35 minutes everyday to school as a 1L? My friends who are working in Time Square and I are looking at a couple compromising options, and Upper West Side looks to be the only viable option. Is this pretty much true? (We also want to live in a more "fun" area but I am not sure how much I am willing to sacrifice in terms of convenience for this)

Not at all. I have friends who live downtown and it works for them. Keep in mind Tribeca is probably going to be expensive as fuck.

Depending on where in Tribeca (Chambers St station as opposed to Franklin St or Canal St), you can catch the 2 express to 96th street and then transfer to the 1 to 116th. The C is also an option, but you'd have to walk through Morningside Park.

The UWS is totally viable as well. Very easy access to TS and MH and there's a lot there.

Thank you very much.

It would be four of us sharing an apartment so the cost is not too much of a concern. I am just worried about the commute. The address is 311 Broadway. I am not sure where that puts it in Tribeca though since I haven't been to NYC in a full decade haha. Clearly for me as a Columbia student, UWS would be preferable to Tribeca because of the shorter commute?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Looks like 311 Broadway is pretty close to the Chambers St. station, so not terrible, but certainly not ideal. The UWS would be better but depending on exactly where you end up the UWS might only save you like 10 minutes.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:22 pm

battlerifle13 wrote:Thank you very much.

It would be four of us sharing an apartment so the cost is not too much of a concern. I am just worried about the commute. The address is 311 Broadway. I am not sure where that puts it in Tribeca though since I haven't been to NYC in a full decade haha. Clearly for me as a Columbia student, UWS would be preferable to Tribeca because of the shorter commute?

Yeah UWS would be preferable for you since your commute would be 5-10 minutes depending on location.

311 Broadway is really close to the Chambers St station, so that wouldn't be too bad. At worst 35 minutes if you don't do the 2 --> 1 shuffle. TBH, I live a roughly 15 minute walk from the school, so ~30 minute commute doesn't sound too awful. You really don't have to spend much time on campus if you don't want to. The only downside with living so far would be if you had several breaks between classes.

ETA: you probably won't even need a monthly metrocard. See: http://gothamist.com/2013/03/03/happy_f ... rocard.php

"you must ride the subway 48 times (two rides per workday and eight on the weekend) to make a 30-day unlimited MetroCard worthwhile."

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 am

Anyone have any idea about what kinds of grades one would need from UVA to transfer there? I have a great reason (SO moving there for work) but hard situation because she needs to decide before I get grades this semester. Really with Columbia had an ED like Chicago....
I am right at top 15% from what I have been told by Career services. Have 1L SA positions lined up in a different state.

MapsMapsMaps

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Hey-

Just wondering if any 2Ls or 3Ls know anything about taking courses at the B-School. What are the limitations? Full term only can we take an A term and B term combo? No "core" B-school classes? Is it easy to register in these?

MapsMapsMaps

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:28 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:Hey-

Just wondering if any 2Ls or 3Ls know anything about taking courses at the B-School. What are the limitations? Full term only can we take an A term and B term combo? No "core" B-school classes? Is it easy to register in these?

Anyone know?

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:55 pm

I walked through Morningside Park today and it seemed really nice. Does it really get that bad at night? It seems hard to mug/attack someone what with all the stairs and uneven pavement.

RDJ2016

Postby RDJ2016 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 am

Has anyone participated in the Externship on the Federal Government in DC? Could you tell me how much competition there typically is for spots in that program? Is it pretty easy to enroll if it's something you really want to do, or do a lot of people who are interested never get the chance to participate? I see that they only take 15 students each semester.

Is it possible to live with friends who are enrolled in other Columbia graduate programs in campus housing?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 pm

RDJ2016 wrote:Has anyone participated in the Externship on the Federal Government in DC? Could you tell me how much competition there typically is for spots in that program? Is it pretty easy to enroll if it's something you really want to do, or do a lot of people who are interested never get the chance to participate? I see that they only take 15 students each semester.

Is it possible to live with friends who are enrolled in other Columbia graduate programs in campus housing?

1) Statement from the government office: They have never taken a full contingent. People often switch semesters or decide not to do it because of logistics. If you really want to do it, it is very likely you will.

2) Yeah. There are only a few buildings that are law student only; the rest of the housing is mixed grad schools (although I think you can still request to live with law students if you want, even if you do not want law student only housing).

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:18 pm

howlery wrote:I walked through Morningside Park today and it seemed really nice. Does it really get that bad at night? It seems hard to mug/attack someone what with all the stairs and uneven pavement.

I have walked through Morningside Park dozens (perhaps hundreds) of times between 9pm and 4am without incident. If you're just cutting through the stairs at 116th st, you're only in the park for a minute or two at most.

But note: (1) I'm tall and male. (2) Like any other park in NYC, yes, crimes have been committed there. (3) The park technically closes at 10 or 11; plenty of people still walk through it, but one time a cop driving through gave me some flak (but no ticket).

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:21 pm

RDJ2016 wrote:Has anyone participated in the Externship on the Federal Government in DC? Could you tell me how much competition there typically is for spots in that program? Is it pretty easy to enroll if it's something you really want to do, or do a lot of people who are interested never get the chance to participate? I see that they only take 15 students each semester.

If you're really committed to doing it, then you'll almost certainly get a spot (unless there is a sudden and huge surge in interest). They've placed people at the White House, the USTR, the Hill, Justice, ATF, and lot of other cool places. Since it's not the summer, there isn't such a huge crush of interns, so you tend to get more substantive work.

jubee

Postby jubee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm

so if we got a big fat 0 in "need aid" is there any way, any point, of trying to appeal or negotiate with other scholarships since we know its not totally need, or at this point is it basically hopeless? my parents wants me to try...

jubee

Postby jubee » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:02 pm

and on another note, does anyone answering Q's have tmobile on campus? what is the service like? I have tmobile and am finally moving out the stone age and getting an iphone BUT i will be sacrificing the ability to have wifi calling since iphone doesnt support it, and thats a savior to me in areas with shitty reception which tmobile seems to have a lot of...

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:18 pm

jubee wrote:and on another note, does anyone answering Q's have tmobile on campus? what is the service like? I have tmobile and am finally moving out the stone age and getting an iphone BUT i will be sacrificing the ability to have wifi calling since iphone doesnt support it, and thats a savior to me in areas with shitty reception which tmobile seems to have a lot of...

I use T-mobile. Connection in lower floors of buildings can be very weak if you're not near a window, but is generally perfect outside. This is likely due to the fact that T-mobile uses higher band frequencies and has trouble penetrating walls. That said, I don't think anyone other than Verizon does much better in the law school ground floor, which essentially is a basement without windows.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 am

For Columbia's UAH, what's the usual turnaround from when you get a housing assignment to when first month/security deposit is due? Should I be prepared to pony up any earlier than July?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:12 pm

What kind of paid internships, if any, are available for 1Ls in NYC? What is the pay usually like in these positions?

jubee

Postby jubee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:01 pm

bhan87 wrote:
jubee wrote:and on another note, does anyone answering Q's have tmobile on campus? what is the service like? I have tmobile and am finally moving out the stone age and getting an iphone BUT i will be sacrificing the ability to have wifi calling since iphone doesnt support it, and thats a savior to me in areas with shitty reception which tmobile seems to have a lot of...

I use T-mobile. Connection in lower floors of buildings can be very weak if you're not near a window, but is generally perfect outside. This is likely due to the fact that T-mobile uses higher band frequencies and has trouble penetrating walls. That said, I don't think anyone other than Verizon does much better in the law school ground floor, which essentially is a basement without windows.

thanks for your reply! very helpful

another question for anyone: are there any like discounts or promos through columbia for columbia students to buy apple or PC laptops? I have to get myself a new comp and just covering all the bases..

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

ph5354a wrote:What kind of paid internships, if any, are available for 1Ls in NYC? What is the pay usually like in these positions?

Paid positions for 1L summer are a little hard to come by. Most firms don't hire 1Ls, though there are a few exceptions here and there. Most PI organizations don't/can't pay 1Ls (again, with a smattering of exceptions). Guaranteed Summer Funding helps a little bit with unpaid PI internships-- it'll probably pay for about half of your summer expenses. I'd recommend setting aside money from your fall and spring loan disbursements for the summer.

Also, a lot of really great opportunities are unpaid (e.g. SDNY, EDNY, NYAG). But finding a paid gig isn't outside the realm of possibility.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm

thunderflesh wrote:
ph5354a wrote:What kind of paid internships, if any, are available for 1Ls in NYC? What is the pay usually like in these positions?

Paid positions for 1L summer are a little hard to come by. Most firms don't hire 1Ls, though there are a few exceptions here and there. Most PI organizations don't/can't pay 1Ls (again, with a smattering of exceptions). Guaranteed Summer Funding helps a little bit with unpaid PI internships-- it'll probably pay for about half of your summer expenses. I'd recommend setting aside money from your fall and spring loan disbursements for the summer.

Also, a lot of really great opportunities are unpaid (e.g. SDNY, EDNY, NYAG). But finding a paid gig isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Thanks! In terms of legal internships with corporations, are those generally unpaid as well? I looked into NBC's program and saw that it was unpaid. I'm guessing if they don't pay their law interns, then most companies don't.

jubee

Postby jubee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:33 pm

ph5354a wrote:
thunderflesh wrote:

Thanks! In terms of legal internships with corporations, are those generally unpaid as well? I looked into NBC's program and saw that it was unpaid. I'm guessing if they don't pay their law interns, then most companies don't.

to piggy back off these questions, is it easy to get to get a 1L summer internship in a city that isn't NYC? was thinking to save money I could work my 1L summer back here and live at home. does doing this put one at any disadvantage for 2L internships in NYC?
Last edited by jubee on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonton

Postby tonton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:36 pm

ph5354a wrote:For Columbia's UAH, what's the usual turnaround from when you get a housing assignment to when first month/security deposit is due? Should I be prepared to pony up any earlier than July?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 am

Another question about housing...I really want to live in the 400 block. Is there anything I can do in my housing app (besides of course requesting those specific buildings) to help ensure that I end up there? For example, should I increase my max monthly cost from $1200 to $1300? Thanks so much.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 am

jubee wrote:to piggy back off these questions, is it easy to get to get a 1L summer internship in a city that isn't NYC? i'm from DC and was thinking to save money I could work my 1L summer back here and live at home. does doing this put one at any disadvantage for 2L internships in NYC?

It's not too hard to find unpaid work anywhere. Might require a little more legwork outside of NYC, but I know someone who got a pretty sweet gig at a DC agency through only a phone interview.

To the question about corporate internship pay, all of those internships should be paid unless they provide for school credit.

jubee

Postby jubee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:It's not too hard to find unpaid work anywhere. Might require a little more legwork outside of NYC, but I know someone who got a pretty sweet gig at a agency through only a phone interview.

To the question about corporate internship pay, all of those internships should be paid unless they provide for school credit.

thanks! and for the second part of my question, where you work 1L summer doesn't matter for 2L? so if I work in 1L but want to work in NYC 2L it won't affect my outcome?
Last edited by jubee on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:17 pm

jubee wrote:thanks! and for the second part of my question, where you work 1L summer doesn't matter for 2L? so if I work in DC 1L but want to work in NYC 2L it won't affect my outcome?

Not if you go to Columbia. It might make a difference if you want to work somewhere other than NYC after graduation because 1L summer gives you a chance to show commitment to an area. But if you are already going to law school here firms assume you plan to stick around.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”