Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
smaug_

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby smaug_ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:25 am

kakistocracy wrote:Along cliche lines: if there was one thing you wish you could have done differently during 1L, what would it be and why?

To echo Bronck, I'm pretty happy/not sure I'd change much, but if I would change things I'd:
(1) Know my professor's idiosyncrasies better. I don't think professors have an answer that they want to hear, but they do have topics that they like hearing about. Knowing the way that they'd approach a problem is helpful.
(2) Be less stressed in the fall. Stressing out probably isn't going to help your grades. Studying hardcore early on probably won't help your grades.
(3) Get out of JG. Although I enjoy my peers (I really do!) it is important to get off campus or at least out of the law school now and then.

That's all I can think of for now.

J90

Postby J90 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey, I've got a few housing questions!

If I chose an unfurnished apartment, I'm worried about what I'd do with the furniture I'd purchase. What do people do with their furniture during the summer months (where do they leave it)? Is there some sort of storage?

Do the apartments operate on a 9-month lease or 12-month lease?

What did you choose between furnished and unfurnished, and how did that work out for you/what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:45 am

J90 wrote:Hey, I've got a few housing questions!

If I chose an unfurnished apartment, I'm worried about what I'd do with the furniture I'd purchase. What do people do with their furniture during the summer months (where do they leave it)? Is there some sort of storage?

What did you choose between furnished and unfurnished, and how did that work out for you/what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Have no idea about the first point, since I'm staying in NYC for the summer.

9-month.

I chose furnished because I didn't want to spend money on furniture. The furniture isn't amazing, but it's certainly good enough. I think both furnished and unfurnished places are priced comparably as well.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:58 am

Bronck wrote:
J90 wrote:Hey, I've got a few housing questions!

Thanks!

Have no idea about the first point, since I'm staying in NYC for the summer.

9-month.

I chose furnished because I didn't want to spend money on furniture. The furniture isn't amazing, but it's certainly good enough. I think both furnished and unfurnished places are priced comparably as well.

Usually, people will sublet their apartments and just leave the furniture in there. You can always get storage space if you want to move it out for the summer, but that's a real pain and probably isn't worth the expense.

Actually, I think the leases run 12-month, but your first year in the room you only pay rent starting in August. If you renew, you sign the lease starting in May and it ends in May.

A lot of people I know chose unfurnished because the cost of buying furniture is less in the long-run than paying the extra monthly cost of a furnished apartment. However, I had no idea where I was going to end up and what kind of furniture I'd be able to afford after law school, so I preferred living with cheaper dorm-style furniture now and saving the hassle of moving furniture when I move apartments. FWIW, I'm a 2L living in one of the furnished apartments in the 400 block of 115th St - I lived in the same room last year and I intend to stay in here until graduation.

J90

Postby J90 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:10 am

Bronck wrote:Have no idea about the first point, since I'm staying in NYC for the summer.

9-month.

Got it, thanks! Where in particular are you staying, if I can ask? W 115th/116th, Lionsgate, UAH or one of the other options? What do you think of it?

piccolittle wrote:Usually, people will sublet their apartments and just leave the furniture in there. You can always get storage space if you want to move it out for the summer, but that's a real pain and probably isn't worth the expense.

Actually, I think the leases run 12-month, but your first year in the room you only pay rent starting in August. If you renew, you sign the lease starting in May and it ends in May.

A lot of people I know chose unfurnished because the cost of buying furniture is less in the long-run than paying the extra monthly cost of a furnished apartment. However, I had no idea where I was going to end up and what kind of furniture I'd be able to afford after law school, so I preferred living with cheaper dorm-style furniture now and saving the hassle of moving furniture when I move apartments. FWIW, I'm a 2L living in one of the furnished apartments in the 400 block of 115th St - I lived in the same room last year and I intend to stay in here until graduation.

Great info, I really appreciate this, and I like your vote of confidence on the furnished 115th St. apartments. Thanks! :o Is it pretty easy to find a subletter for the summer? Also, if you don't mind/would happen to know, what are some standard price options for 115th (that's where I'm hoping to live, if I can find a solid 2-bedroom share in the 1100-1200 price range!)?

Just one more question, for both of you - is it possible to have them switch out a standard furnished bed (I'm guessing they provide a twin/twin XL, but I'm talking out of my ass there, I have no idea) for a double/queen bed or something similar?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am

J90 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Usually, people will sublet their apartments and just leave the furniture in there. You can always get storage space if you want to move it out for the summer, but that's a real pain and probably isn't worth the expense.

Great info, I really appreciate this, and I like your vote of confidence on the furnished 115th St. apartments. Thanks! :o Is it pretty easy to find a subletter for the summer? Also, if you don't mind/would happen to know, what are some standard price options for 115th (that's where I'm hoping to live, if I can find a solid 2-bedroom share in the 1100-1200 price range!)?

Just one more question, for both of you - is it possible to have them switch out a standard furnished bed (I'm guessing they provide a twin/twin XL, but I'm talking out of my ass there, I have no idea) for a double/queen bed or something similar?

1) I'm pretty sure all the apartments on the 400 block are three-bedrooms, but I might be wrong. My apartment's rent maxes out at $1221 for the largest room (mine) - but the other two rooms are pretty small. It was fairly easy to find a subletter for my room, but one of my roommates struggled a bit because her room was so small (probably 8ish by 11 feet, maybe a little bigger)

2) My room came with a twin XL, which I lived with all 1L. A lot of my friends switched out their beds for bigger ones, and I finally did the same this year. What this really depends on is the size of your room. Mine is like 12 by 14', so I have plenty of space even with a double bed. We put my old bed in our living room as extra seating, but I've also heard rumors that the super might be willing to store them in the basement.

J90

Postby J90 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:41 am

Excellent! That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll probably give them a call sometime this next week and figure out how close I can get to a price point on the 115th block!

Hnin26

Postby Hnin26 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering about Columbia's admissions review process for int'l students.
I know that my scores are way below the average (LSAT 158/GPA 3.53 [US B.A.]/GRE 316)....but would they the other factors in the application weigh heavier for int'l students? I'm from Myanmar/Burma, btw.
Also, how can I get in touch with someone specific from admissions - admissions director, dean, etc.

Many thanks!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 am

Hnin26 wrote:Hi guys,

Just wondering about Columbia's admissions review process for int'l students.
I know that my scores are way below the average (LSAT 158/GPA 3.53 [US B.A.]/GRE 316)....but would they the other factors in the application weigh heavier for int'l students? I'm from Myanmar/Burma, btw.
Also, how can I get in touch with someone specific from admissions - admissions director, dean, etc.

Many thanks!

not at CLS, but no they would not. Sorry

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Hnin26 wrote: I'm from Myanmar/Burma, btw.

I think you probably need to get your LSAT way up, but that soft could be a big help (or not). I would be very surprised if anyone here could give a real response.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:20 pm

When do we get to choose our classes for 2L Autumn semester?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Bronck wrote:When do we get to choose our classes for 2L Autumn semester?

Last year, pre-registration was open until June 25th, and I think we got our initial schedules in August.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:09 am

cardinals1989 wrote:

Last year, pre-registration was open until June 25th, and I think we got our initial schedules in August.

Cool. Is it a bidding system?

Hnin26

Postby Hnin26 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:43 am

hibiki wrote:
Hnin26 wrote: I'm from Myanmar/Burma, btw.

I think you probably need to get your LSAT way up, but that soft could be a big help (or not). I would be very surprised if anyone here could give a real response.

Thanks for the kind words! this whole wait for the verdict process is depressing....

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 am

Bronck wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Cool. Is it a bidding system?

Yeah, sort of. They send out a PDF that explains the whole process (it is way over-complicated). Basically, you rank your choices, but you have 10 primary choices and 10 secondary choices paired with each primary choice. 3Ls and LLMs have higher priority than 2Ls on choices, and then within the class 2Ls are randomly ranked. So, for the first round of 2L choices, it will go in that randomly generated order, and then it will go in reverse order the next round, etc. It starts with your #1 choice, and if that is full, it wait lists you for it then tries to put you in your first secondary choice. If that is also full, I don’t think it wait lists you for that one. Then second choice, etc. etc. Then, in August they will send you the results of the lottery, and then like a week after thats starts the add/drop period.

howlery

Postby howlery » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:52 pm

How scared were you guys to present/argue a brief in legal methods? I think someone earlier ITT mentioned being drunk. Is that recommended?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 pm

howlery wrote:How scared were you guys to present/argue a brief in legal methods? I think someone earlier ITT mentioned being drunk. Is that recommended?

LOL, that sounds like such an excellent idea. I'm definitely going to go in giving 0 fucks.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:10 am

howlery wrote:How scared were you guys to present/argue a brief in legal methods? I think someone earlier ITT mentioned being drunk. Is that recommended?

One of the least important things to worry about 1L. Hardly anyone knows what they are doing, the “judges” are just having fun, and they serve wine and snacks afterward. One of my favorite parts of 1L (not writing the brief but arguing it).

ETA: I am pretty sure one of our judges was hitting on one of our moot courters afterward.

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 am

Question for you guys. Thinking about transferring to Columbia from UVA. This is mainly depending if my Fiance gets a job in NYC she is interviewing for. Couple questions:

1) Where do most students live who have a SO? Me and her will be living together, Any general insights on what my rent will be? I am just trying to figure out the COL difference. I think her job will pay about 15-20k more a year (only like 45(ish) a year as salary). So I am trying to figure out if this would put us into even more debt. We pay about 900 a month for a 2 bedroom 2 bath, but we would be fine with a 1 bedroom in NY

2) Anyone have any anecdotal evidence on what kinds of grades are needed to get into Columbia from UVA with a good reason (like my Fiance getting a job there). I think I am top 15% at UVA, but I do not expect to do as well as last semester (slacking, dont like classes as much, etc.) Any insight would be appreciated.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am

BigLawer wrote:Question for you guys. Thinking about transferring to Columbia from UVA. This is mainly depending if my Fiance gets a job in NYC she is interviewing for. Couple questions:

1) Where do most students live who have a SO? Me and her will be living together, Any general insights on what my rent will be? I am just trying to figure out the COL difference. I think her job will pay about 15-20k more a year (only like 45(ish) a year as salary). So I am trying to figure out if this would put us into even more debt. We pay about 900 a month for a 2 bedroom 2 bath, but we would be fine with a 1 bedroom in NY

My SO and I pay about $1600 for a one bedroom a few blocks from the school. I know of others who pay anywhere from $1400 to $1700.

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:44 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BigLawer wrote:Question for you guys. Thinking about transferring to Columbia from UVA. This is mainly depending if my Fiance gets a job in NYC she is interviewing for. Couple questions:

My SO and I pay about $1600 for a one bedroom a few blocks from the school. I know of others who pay anywhere from $1400 to $1700.

Probably not including utilities/cable/internet right? So thats about a 7500 difference a year, which would probably be worth it.

Mind saying how many square feet?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 am

Probably about 600

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:53 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Probably about 600

Shit.... well at least I could sell my furniture, I guess.

battlerifle13

Postby battlerifle13 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Would it be insane for me to live in Tribeca and commute 35 minutes everyday to school as a 1L? My friends who are working in Time Square and I are looking at a couple compromising options, and Upper West Side looks to be the only viable option. Is this pretty much true? (We also want to live in a more "fun" area but I am not sure how much I am willing to sacrifice in terms of convenience for this)

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:49 pm

battlerifle13 wrote:Would it be insane for me to live in Tribeca and commute 35 minutes everyday to school as a 1L? My friends who are working in Time Square and I are looking at a couple compromising options, and Upper West Side looks to be the only viable option. Is this pretty much true? (We also want to live in a more "fun" area but I am not sure how much I am willing to sacrifice in terms of convenience for this)

Not at all. I have friends who live downtown and it works for them. Keep in mind Tribeca is probably going to be expensive as fuck.

Depending on where in Tribeca (Chambers St station as opposed to Franklin St or Canal St), you can catch the 2 express to 96th street and then transfer to the 1 to 116th. The C is also an option, but you'd have to walk through Morningside Park.

The UWS is totally viable as well. Very easy access to TS and MH and there's a lot there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”