Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
battlerifle13

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby battlerifle13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Hey guys,

A question from a dude who hasn't set foot in New York for over a decade.

Two of my best friends from undergrad and I are hoping to live together next year if I end up going to Columbia. I am trying to get a sense of how feasible this would be. One will be working at Barclays and the other at UBS. I think they are both near Time Square. Is there a place somewhere in the middle that can accommodate all of us? Can we make this work somehow? If so, where and what kind of price range are we looking at?

Thanks a lot!

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:01 pm

battlerifle13 wrote:Hey guys,

A question from a dude who hasn't set foot in New York for over a decade.

Two of my best friends from undergrad and I are hoping to live together next year if I end up going to Columbia. I am trying to get a sense of how feasible this would be. One will be working at Barclays and the other at UBS. I think they are both near Time Square. Is there a place somewhere in the middle that can accommodate all of us? Can we make this work somehow? If so, where and what kind of price range are we looking at?

Thanks a lot!

Upper West Side near 72nd street and Broadway would be my recommendation. 15 minute commutes up to Columbia and down to Time Square. Right by the train station is Trader Joes for grocery shopping. For a 3 bedroom, you're looking at around $1000-1200 a person per month:

http://www.renthop.com/search?neighborh ... 1&search=1

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 pm

bhan87 wrote:Upper West Side near 72nd street and Broadway would be my recommendation. 15 minute commutes up to Columbia and down to Time Square. Right by the train station is Trader Joes for grocery shopping. For a 3 bedroom, you're looking at around $1000-1200 a person per month:

http://www.renthop.com/search?neighborh ... 1&search=1

As a new yorker, i'd say this deserves a +1.

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:50 am

Do you know how badly Columbia is hurt by the drop in applications?

Sampaguita21

Postby Sampaguita21 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Any suggestions as to which classes to attend during the ASW? I'm going to the March 6-7th one , and we have 8-11am on Wednesday and all day Thursday to drop in on classes.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Sampaguita21 wrote:Any suggestions as to which classes to attend during the ASW? I'm going to the March 6-7th one , and we have 8-11am on Wednesday and all day Thursday to drop in on classes.

Start with this:

http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses/sea ... ery=Search

Are you interested in particular subjects? Only 1L or upper year courses too?

howlery

Postby howlery » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:42 am

Are any of you aiming for clerkships and/or PI?

J90

Postby J90 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 am

howlery wrote:Are any of you aiming for clerkships and/or PI?

I'm not one hundred percent that I'll shoot for a clerkship, but I don't want to rule it out at this point. I suppose I'll see how my grades go and plot accordingly.

Cardinals, thanks for the class list!

Sampaguita21

Postby Sampaguita21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Sampaguita21 wrote:Any suggestions as to which classes to attend during the ASW? I'm going to the March 6-7th one , and we have 8-11am on Wednesday and all day Thursday to drop in on classes.

Start with this:

http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses/sea ... ery=Search

Are you interested in particular subjects? Only 1L or upper year courses too?

Thanks for the class list! The admitted student website also has the same list and I was scrolling through it. I'm interested in international trade, capital markets, and human rights (pretty disparate I know :-/ ). I was thinking of sitting in on Sarah Cleveland's Human Rights class. Does anyone have thoughts on this/other suggestions? I probably should drop in on a 1L class at some point. Any suggestions?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer our questions!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:37 pm

My only suggestion is avoid con law. You probably won't want to go to law school anymore after sitting through that hell.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:45 am

Bronck wrote:My only suggestion is avoid con law. You probably won't want to go to law school anymore after sitting through that hell.

In terms of in class experience, Con Law is by far the most enjoyable doctrinal course for me. :evil:

Anon2008

Postby Anon2008 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Do people, particularly 1Ls, have time to work? Before I came to college I did quite a bit of acting. I had to stop because of NCAA rules and then my job, but have been looking forward to getting back into it. I'm not in at Columbia yet, but I'd want to go to the occasional audition if I did attend. On a day-to-day basis, is this feasible? Would classmates be generally willing to help with notes if I got a part and had to miss a few days of class?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Anon2008 wrote:Do people, particularly 1Ls, have time to work? Before I came to college I did quite a bit of acting. I had to stop because of NCAA rules and then my job, but have been looking forward to getting back into it. I'm not in at Columbia yet, but I'd want to go to the occasional audition if I did attend. On a day-to-day basis, is this feasible? Would classmates be generally willing to help with notes if I got a part and had to miss a few days of class?

I think the scheduling would be the rough part. I'm sure that people would give you notes, but the professor might note your absence if you're gone repeatedly. (Some would care, I'd wager most wouldn't notice/care.) I doubt you'd have the time to pursue anything, though.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Anon2008 wrote:Do people, particularly 1Ls, have time to work? Before I came to college I did quite a bit of acting. I had to stop because of NCAA rules and then my job, but have been looking forward to getting back into it. I'm not in at Columbia yet, but I'd want to go to the occasional audition if I did attend. On a day-to-day basis, is this feasible? Would classmates be generally willing to help with notes if I got a part and had to miss a few days of class?

The ABA restricts work to 20 hours a week. I'm not sure if CLS has an additional policy on it.

Even if it did conform to the 20 hours a week, I wouldn't do it 1L year. I'm sure classmates/friends would be willing to give you notes for missed days, though.

bobr

Postby bobr » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Would Columbia give any money (even 5k) in response to a large offer from Duke or no way? Anyone with any experience negotiation w/ a Duke offer would be greatly appreciated. Assuming CLS only cares what NYU and up offers unfortunately. Thanks!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:54 pm

bobr wrote:Would Columbia give any money (even 5k) in response to a large offer from Duke or no way? Anyone with any experience negotiation w/ a Duke offer would be greatly appreciated. Assuming CLS only cares what NYU and up offers unfortunately. Thanks!

No idea about Duke, but I sent in my UVA offer in conjunction with my NYU offer and got a sizable package. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:10 pm

bobr wrote:Would Columbia give any money (even 5k) in response to a large offer from Duke or no way? Anyone with any experience negotiation w/ a Duke offer would be greatly appreciated. Assuming CLS only cares what NYU and up offers unfortunately. Thanks!

I had merit offers from Duke, Penn, and Chicago which I sent to Columbia and I got nothing, but I don't qualify for need based aid in any sense so it would have been surprising to see something for me. I think others have had better luck. Can't hurt to send an email!

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 am

starrydreamz3 wrote:

I had merit offers from Duke, Penn, and Chicago which I sent to Columbia and I got nothing, but I don't qualify for need based aid in any sense so it would have been surprising to see something for me. I think others have had better luck. Can't hurt to send an email!

I think this is generally the case. Columbia seems to take NYU and Chicago awards seriously though (based on talking to many of my friends that got their awards bumped up with award letters from these schools).

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:38 am

Last edited by bosmer88 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Are a lot of you paying sticker?

I'm being held right now and figure if I get in it will likely be at sticker. If you got into CLS, you probably had plenty of other cheaper options, so I'm wondering what in particular you feel makes it worth the circa250k in debt?

I'm originally from NY myself and it'd be nice to go back, mostly for the sake of more of the people around being more like myself. But taking on that massive debt then still having to pay a super high COL for less living space, plus super high tax, and possibly not being paid significantly higher does scare me a bit.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm

untar614 wrote:Are a lot of you paying sticker?

I'm being held right now and figure if I get in it will likely be at sticker. If you got into CLS, you probably had plenty of other cheaper options, so I'm wondering what in particular you feel makes it worth the circa250k in debt?

I'm originally from NY myself and it'd be nice to go back, mostly for the sake of more of the people around being more like myself. But taking on that massive debt then still having to pay a super high COL for less living space, plus super high tax, and possibly not being paid significantly higher does scare me a bit.

I am not; I got a ~40% tuition scholarship and even then I'm still looking at ~180-190k of debt by graduation. For some (e.g., splitters who wouldn't necessarily have gotten much money elsewhere), I think it can be an acceptable decision, but I don't think I'd pay for sticker outside of YHS (and even that is unlikely with their need-based aid).

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 pm

I honestly don't have a whole lot of other cheaper options --though still waiting to hear about $ at Cornell. I am prepared to pay sticker at either CLS or NYU, though potential scholarship money is going to be the factor that determines which of those I go to. I want to do NYC big law and am prepared to make $3,000/month loan payments even though that will mean putting off other major life goals (house, kids, etc.). I have some, but not a lot, of undergrad debt. It's a personal decision and it depends on a lot of things (especially your career goals and existing debt), and if I do end up getting a lot of money from Cornell, I may reconsider, but I will likely still end up in New York.

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Just read/skimmed through the whole thread and found it amazingly helpful. Really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer our questions like this! So excited for fall to start.

I know there are tons of guides as far as studying goes, and I've glanced over a bunch of them so far. I was wondering, though, whether there was any Columbia-specific advice and/or pitfalls to be aware of? As far as hornbooks and supplements go, is it just like every other place where it's purely your own preference whether to use them?

Along cliche lines: if there was one thing you wish you could have done differently during 1L, what would it be and why?

Thanks in advance!

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:28 pm

ph5354a wrote:

I honestly don't have a whole lot of other cheaper options --though still waiting to hear about $ at Cornell. I am prepared to pay sticker at either CLS or NYU, though potential scholarship money is going to be the factor that determines which of those I go to. I want to do NYC big law and am prepared to make $3,000/month loan payments even though that will mean putting off other major life goals (house, kids, etc.). I have some, but not a lot, of undergrad debt. It's a personal decision and it depends on a lot of things (especially your career goals and existing debt), and if I do end up getting a lot of money from Cornell, I may reconsider, but I will likely still end up in New York.

I think I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Still waiting on a bunch of schools to see whether they'll throw money at me - in which case I can consider or negotiate - but likely I'll be going to Columbia at sticker. I happen to be in a situation where it'd be worth it, but that's not always the case.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:31 pm

kakistocracy wrote:Just read/skimmed through the whole thread and found it amazingly helpful. Really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer our questions like this! So excited for fall to start.

I know there are tons of guides as far as studying goes, and I've glanced over a bunch of them so far. I was wondering, though, whether there was any Columbia-specific advice and/or pitfalls to be aware of? As far as hornbooks and supplements go, is it just like every other place where it's purely your own preference whether to use them?

Along cliche lines: if there was one thing you wish you could have done differently during 1L, what would it be and why?

Thanks in advance!

No CLS-specific advice. I would not say supplements are purely one's own preference... there are some that are the holy grail in certain subjects... e.g., Chemerinsky in Con Law, Glannon for Civ Pro, Dressler for Crim, etc.

Obviously only 3/4 done with 1L (or so), but there isn't a whole lot I'd change. Maybe try to be more social first semester. I have a solid summer job and grades went well first sem. I'm not putting forth a lot of effort this semester, but we'll see how that goes.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”