Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
piccolittle

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby piccolittle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 pm

howlery wrote:Law School TA Seems To Be Hanging On A Little Too Tightly

Anyone know what class this was?

Heard it was Deals. That story is so stupid, seriously. ATL really has to dig deep for "dirt" on CLS. (wow, that was alliterative...)

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:07 pm

A couple questions, hoping this is the right place for them:

(1) Anyone try negotiating for more aid? How did it go? I've gotten a 1/2 scholarship, and wondering what my chances are of bumping this up.

(2) How is the support for people going into PI? Do you know how people are faring in finding the type of PI jobs they're looking for?

(3) I've got a cat. Am I missing any campus housing that doesn't ban pets? I'd prefer to have really close & convenient housing.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:31 pm

J90 wrote:
If it's something you'd consider, I shot an email to one of the students the handbook had listed for ASP accommodations, and that's where I'll be staying for the night!

Yeah I considered that, but I'm going to be staying 3 nights, and obviously that's way longer than I would feel comfortable imposing on someone for. (I even consider one night to be sort of awkward, but that's just my personality type I suppose).

Tiago Splitter wrote:I believe the deadline to submit isn't until after ASW. I submitted my stuff before then but then updated it after I had a chance to see the area.

Right, the deadline isn't until May 1st, I believe. Do you get an advantage in the lottery by submitting early though?

jubee

Postby jubee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm

kinda simple/dumb question-- how do we submit copies of our/our parents taxes? through snail mail, fax, email?

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 am

jubee wrote:kinda simple/dumb question-- how do we submit copies of our/our parents taxes? through snail mail, fax, email?

I faxed. I think their is a cover form or something that tells you the acceptable methods/addresses. (IIRC)

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 am

jetissent wrote:
jubee wrote:kinda simple/dumb question-- how do we submit copies of our/our parents taxes? through snail mail, fax, email?

I faxed. I think their is a cover form or something that tells you the acceptable methods/addresses. (IIRC)

thanks so much for your response! is this also true for the fin aid questionaire?

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 am

Also, this questionnaire seems kinda ridiculous, when you must sign a statement that includes, "I further certify that I shall promptly amend the foregoing application if a change of more than $300 occurs in the estimates of either obligations or resources for the coming academic year." Numbers put on this form are only estimates; no one can really know yet exact rent costs, exact food costs etc. So, if I have parents loaning me money for total COA, we won't know the EXACT total COA loan they'll be giving me, at least within a margin of error as small as 300 dollars, until all the bills are paid a year from now. Can anyone provide insight if this is really as strict as it sounds or how much to read into it? Like I just alluded to, Wouldn't we not know if the estimate has changed by at least 300 until long past when its relevant to the awarding of aid?

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:39 am

jubee wrote:Also, this questionnaire seems kinda ridiculous, when you must sign a statement that includes, "I further certify that I shall promptly amend the foregoing application if a change of more than $300 occurs in the estimates of either obligations or resources for the coming academic year." Numbers put on this form are only estimates; no one can really know yet exact rent costs, exact food costs etc. So, if I have parents loaning me money for total COA, we won't know the EXACT total COA loan they'll be giving me, at least within a margin of error as small as 300 dollars, until all the bills are paid a year from now. Can anyone provide insight if this is really as strict as it sounds or how much to read into it? Like I just alluded to, Wouldn't we not know if the estimate has changed by at least 300 until long past when its relevant to the awarding of aid?

This is nothing to worry about. I would venture that no one in the history of financial aid has updated their file for a this sort of change in circumstances. If you win the lottery though, let them know.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 am

kwais wrote:
jubee wrote:Also, this questionnaire seems kinda ridiculous, when you must sign a statement that includes, "I further certify that I shall promptly amend the foregoing application if a change of more than $300 occurs in the estimates of either obligations or resources for the coming academic year." Numbers put on this form are only estimates; no one can really know yet exact rent costs, exact food costs etc. So, if I have parents loaning me money for total COA, we won't know the EXACT total COA loan they'll be giving me, at least within a margin of error as small as 300 dollars, until all the bills are paid a year from now. Can anyone provide insight if this is really as strict as it sounds or how much to read into it? Like I just alluded to, Wouldn't we not know if the estimate has changed by at least 300 until long past when its relevant to the awarding of aid?

This is nothing to worry about. I would venture that no one in the history of financial aid has updated their file for a this sort of change in circumstances. If you win the lottery though, let them know.

Agreed. 1) It says changes to estimates, not actual amounts. 2) LOL that financial aid is competent enough to check up on every application. (I say the LOL not at your question but at the administration more generally.)

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 pm

dafuq is happening to this law school?
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/behemoth ... wo-curves/

Usually ATL needlessly and dramatically over-antagonizes CLS, but I have to say they're going easy on us this time. This situation is completely unacceptable and embarrassing. If I was a 0L, I'd certainly be asking questions about this when it came to decision-making time. Just needed to call a spade a spade.

Do any current students have any comments/opinions about whether this is a symptom of a larger problem or an outlier?

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:47 am

I am all for sympathy and empathy, but I find it odd how easy ATL is going on the prof. They usually are not such a caring bunch. I wonder what they'd say if it was a two-timing dude.

howlery

Postby howlery » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:07 pm

kwais wrote:I am all for sympathy and empathy, but I find it odd how easy ATL is going on the prof. They usually are not such a caring bunch. I wonder what they'd say if it was a two-timing dude.

Is this why ATL's article said that the CLS tipsters were blaming the professor? Something about the divorce being "her fault," guess she cheated?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:56 pm

howlery wrote:
kwais wrote:I am all for sympathy and empathy, but I find it odd how easy ATL is going on the prof. They usually are not such a caring bunch. I wonder what they'd say if it was a two-timing dude.

Is this why ATL's article said that the CLS tipsters were blaming the professor? Something about the divorce being "her fault," guess she cheated?

Problem for us is that she cheated with a different prof who was horribly inaccessible last semester, perhaps due to this whole situation. That said the new guy is 100 times better than the old prof, the reading load is lighter, and now we have a better idea of when we'll be cold called. I love the new setup.

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:23 am

Tiago Splitter wrote: That said the new guy is 100 times better than the old prof, the reading load is lighter, and now we have a better idea of when we'll be cold called. I love the new setup.

This.

I'll take a much better prof + laptops (w/ 200 students) over a terrible prof (100 students) every day of the week. For the life of me I can't figure out why some of our classmates are upset about this.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:18 pm

otnemem wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote: That said the new guy is 100 times better than the old prof, the reading load is lighter, and now we have a better idea of when we'll be cold called. I love the new setup.

This.

I'll take a much better prof + laptops (w/ 200 students) over a terrible prof (100 students) every day of the week. For the life of me I can't figure out why some of our classmates are upset about this.

+1

jubee

Postby jubee » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:35 pm

how does the housing app work? If we submit earlier, i.e. far before the MAY1 deadline is there any advantage, or is everything looked at after the deadline with dates of submission not factoring into being assigned housing?

How often do people not get their first choices? Is there a good strategy for ranking your preferences (If that question doesn't make sense it's because I haven't seen the app---they said it'd be ready 2/15 but it isn't working- any other's having that issue?)

Personal advice- for a female student who wants to be very close to campus and spend no more than maybe 1100 on rent (and preferably more in the 900-1000 range), what are the best Columbia housing options? I wouldn't say i'm super picky or that I expect luxurious accommodations, but are any of them terribly crappy that someone would recommend avoiding? I know FOR SURE I would not want the dormitory style where a room is shared between two people (who would??)-- do people actually get assigned that/is it likely?? I also would strongly prefer to only have one room mate rather than 2 (although this is a softer requirement than sharing a room). I'm assuming with what I want at least in terms of price I should be looking at UAH, and that Lenfest and Lionsgate will be pricey/farther from campus?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 pm

jubee wrote:words

You don't rank, iirc, and there is no benefit to submitting early. I'm pretty sure it is a lottery/they run them all at once. I'm not aware of any dorm-like housing, although if you want to avoid that feeling, I'd strongly suggest that you request unfurnished university (not law school) housing near the school. $900-1000 sounds a little too low to be reasonable, especially for a 2BR share, but I could be wrong.

Most people get hooked up with something that works well. Just be upfront that you want something (1) unfurnished (2) cheap (3) near the school.

jubee

Postby jubee » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:07 pm

hibiki wrote:
jubee wrote:words

You don't rank, iirc, and there is no benefit to submitting early. I'm pretty sure it is a lottery/they run them all at once. I'm not aware of any dorm-like housing, although if you want to avoid that feeling, I'd strongly suggest that you request unfurnished university (not law school) housing near the school. $900-1000 sounds a little too low to be reasonable, especially for a 2BR share, but I could be wrong.

Most people get hooked up with something that works well. Just be upfront that you want something (1) unfurnished (2) cheap (3) near the school.

thank you :D

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:11 pm

jubee wrote:how does the housing app work? If we submit earlier, i.e. far before the MAY1 deadline is there any advantage, or is everything looked at after the deadline with dates of submission not factoring into being assigned housing?

How often do people not get their first choices? Is there a good strategy for ranking your preferences (If that question doesn't make sense it's because I haven't seen the app---they said it'd be ready 2/15 but it isn't working- any other's having that issue?)

Personal advice- for a female student who wants to be very close to campus and spend no more than maybe 1100 on rent (and preferably more in the 900-1000 range), what are the best Columbia housing options? I wouldn't say i'm super picky or that I expect luxurious accommodations, but are any of them terribly crappy that someone would recommend avoiding? I know FOR SURE I would not want the dormitory style where a room is shared between two people (who would??)-- do people actually get assigned that/is it likely?? I also would strongly prefer to only have one room mate rather than 2 (although this is a softer requirement than sharing a room). I'm assuming with what I want at least in terms of price I should be looking at UAH, and that Lenfest and Lionsgate will be pricey/farther from campus?

Entries all go into a lottery; you'll be fine as long as you apply before the deadline.

3BR shares a block from campus through UAH run about 1300/month. I'm in Lenfest, which isn't really far away from campus, but is significantly pricier. I don't mind though. I have a great view and the apartments are pretty new.

J90

Postby J90 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Any preference on Lionsgate versus the apartments on 115th/116th?

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:
jubee wrote:how does the housing app work? If we submit earlier, i.e. far before the MAY1 deadline is there any advantage, or is everything looked at after the deadline with dates of submission not factoring into being assigned housing?

Entries all go into a lottery; you'll be fine as long as you apply before the deadline.

3BR shares a block from campus through UAH run about 1300/month. I'm in Lenfest, which isn't really far away from campus, but is significantly pricier. I don't mind though. I have a great view and the apartments are pretty new.

Just want to add that 1300 is on the very high end for a 3Bd. Also, there are no dorm style shares, but like other's said, the furnished apartments have a dorm feel to the common areas. Go unfurnished and hit up IKEA.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 pm

kwais wrote:
Just want to add that 1300 is on the very high end for a 3Bd. Also, there are no dorm style shares, but like other's said, the furnished apartments have a dorm feel to the common areas. Go unfurnished and hit up IKEA.

I have a furnished apartment, and I couldn't agree with this more. I regretted it so much (b/c the furniture is so fucking hideous) and you pay extra money that you could've applied to buying decent furniture over the long-term.

J90

Postby J90 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Is the furniture hard to move though, if you were to switch apartments before the next school year?

I was thinking about doing Lionsgate or 115th/116th my first year, and then reevaluating to potentially live farther off-campus

Sampaguita21

Postby Sampaguita21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 pm

kwais wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:

What are your thoughts on the 400 block? Was thinking of doing a 2bd share there.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 pm

canarykb wrote:(3) I've got a cat dog. Am I missing any campus housing that doesn't ban pets? I'd prefer to have really close & convenient housing.

Wondering about this too. Does University-owned housing not allow pets as well?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”