Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Guchster

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Edit: oops, skipping this class today this week. Oh well.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Is it just as easy to blow off moot court as it was to blow off the memo stuff?

This seems like it's going to be more work. . .

howlery

Postby howlery » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:20 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
Edit: oops, skipping this class today. Oh well.

:lol:

I did too :p. Though I still went to campus again, but there weren't any classes starting when I got there. Shouldn't have taken the huge detour to NYU for some chili (which was not that good and was $8 :evil: ).

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:41 am

Bronck wrote:Is it just as easy to blow off moot court as it was to blow off the memo stuff?

It's the same amount of work, I would say. Don't blow it off - this time you have hardworking 2Ls and 3Ls helping who put time into coming up with the problems and writing the records... take pity and at least try to care. :)

howlery wrote:I did too :p.

You'll fit in here just fine.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 am

piccolittle wrote:
Bronck wrote:Is it just as easy to blow off moot court as it was to blow off the memo stuff?

It's the same amount of work, I would say. Don't blow it off - this time you have hardworking 2Ls and 3Ls helping who put time into coming up with the problems and writing the records... take pity and at least try to care. :)

I am sensing a conflict of interest in this advice here...

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:32 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

:lol: Same. How many credits do you get for writing the records?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:44 am

Bronck wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

:lol: Same. How many credits do you get for writing the records?

Haha I am an editor for a specialized moot court, actually, so I didn't have to write a record. My friends did, though! It's a lot harder than you might think.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Sorry picco and friends, but I wrote the worst possible work product of my life and showed up buzzed to oral arguments and things turned out great (although not as great as for picco ;)

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Guchster wrote:

Sorry picco and friends, but I wrote the worst possible work product of my life and showed up buzzed to oral arguments and things turned out great (although not as great as for picco ;)

I like this post :mrgreen:

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 pm

In the admitted student handbook, Columbia states it reserves right to revoke your acceptance if it finds you've deposited at multiple schools. Does this really happen? I thought that making more than one seat deposit is somewhat standard practice? Columbia is a top choice but I am worried about $$ obviously. Does Columbia get back to people about merit aid asap? I'm worried about losing any negotiation power with scholarships and/or acceptances from other schools, when, for example, UVAs deposit deadline is 4/6 (I know they are not known to negotiate with offers from non peers but I'm going to try everything in my arsenal to hopefully get SOME money). IF you can't multi-deposit, then it seems like a lot of bargaining power goes out the window.....

curious66

Postby curious66 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm

jubee wrote:In the admitted student handbook, Columbia states it reserves right to revoke your acceptance if it finds you've deposited at multiple schools. Does this really happen? I thought that making more than one seat deposit is somewhat standard practice? Columbia is a top choice but I am worried about $$ obviously. Does Columbia get back to people about merit aid asap? I'm worried about losing any negotiation power with scholarships and/or acceptances from other schools, when, for example, UVAs deposit deadline is 4/6 (I know they are not known to negotiate with offers from non peers but I'm going to try everything in my arsenal to hopefully get SOME money). IF you can't multi-deposit, then it seems like a lot of bargaining power goes out the window.....

start the negotiating now. Columbia is serious about this, I would not mess around.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:13 pm

curious66 wrote:
jubee wrote:In the admitted student handbook, Columbia states it reserves right to revoke your acceptance if it finds you've deposited at multiple schools. Does this really happen? I thought that making more than one seat deposit is somewhat standard practice? Columbia is a top choice but I am worried about $$ obviously. Does Columbia get back to people about merit aid asap? I'm worried about losing any negotiation power with scholarships and/or acceptances from other schools, when, for example, UVAs deposit deadline is 4/6 (I know they are not known to negotiate with offers from non peers but I'm going to try everything in my arsenal to hopefully get SOME money). IF you can't multi-deposit, then it seems like a lot of bargaining power goes out the window.....

start the negotiating now. Columbia is serious about this, I would not mess around.

Damn, hopefully gonna hear back ASAP! So CLS only negotiates with Chicago and NYU offers?

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:15 pm

moonman157 wrote:
curious66 wrote:

Damn, hopefully gonna hear back ASAP! So CLS only negotiates with Chicago and NYU offers?

In addition to money from lower T14, I got 30k from Chicago. Sent Columbia and NYU an email letting them know all of this and got nada in schollys from either. So just be aware they won't always make a hard matching offer. (Of course still try for it!)

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 pm

moonman157 wrote:
curious66 wrote:

I sent them my scholarship from Duke. To be fair, I hadn’t gotten an offer beforehand, so I don’t know if that was an initial offer or a negotiation. Just FYI.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
curious66 wrote:

I sent them my scholarship from Duke. To be fair, I hadn’t gotten an offer beforehand, so I don’t know if that was an initial offer or a negotiation. Just FYI.

+1

I sent them UVA + NYU + Chi offers and ended up getting a very very generous package from CLS. No idea if that means they were going to offer me it originally, or the other offers swayed them.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:20 am

Can we take courses pass/fail here?

What are other techniques for gaming the system and making 2l/3l year as easy as possible?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Bronck wrote:Can we take courses pass/fail here?

What are other techniques for gaming the system and making 2l/3l year as easy as possible?

There are some classes that can only be taken pass/fail and one I can think of (FSA) where you can opt for a grade if you register as such. You might want to scan the academic pro handbook for more info, but I'm pretty sure you can't take a class pass/fail otherwise.

I suggest balancing papers with exams. Too much of one can make for a tough semester.

Other than that, talk to upperclassmen about a class before you take something and they should tell you what to expect from a prof or course.

Also, I'm not writing a note and it was an awesome decision. So if you're not planning on writing one, don't get on a journal (other than law review) where you're forced to write one--no one cares about which secondary journals you're on minus a few uptight alumni.

Again, depending on what you want to do, a note might be important and helpful, so being on a journal where you're required to write one might streamline the process for you.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:32 pm

^ Awesome, thanks for the tips. All I want is corp big law, so lol at notes mattering.

What are you doing instead of writing a note? Can you get the writing requirement through just writing papers for classes instead?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:53 am

Bronck wrote:^ Awesome, thanks for the tips. All I want is corp big law, so lol at notes mattering.

What are you doing instead of writing a note? Can you get the writing requirement through just writing papers for classes instead?

yup. mandatory paper for seminar had to be 6500-8000 words, and counted for my maj writing requirement.

also, some clinic work might count (I think the mediation clinic has some paper or document you can do), i believe the moot court editors do too (if you're a 1L TF and you wrote the problem, record, and edit), you can write your own paper from a minor writing credit assignment and then make it longer (my roommate did that)

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:06 pm

On the other hand, writing a Note isn't a huge deal if you have to do Major Writing anyway. Most of my friends are using theirs to satisfy journal requirement, Major Writing, and getting academic credit for it (graded or non-graded). Because I'm a moot court editor, I got my MW through my bench memo, but I'm getting 43 credits for my Note (though you can get 4 - I got 1 credit already for a paper I wrote over the summer).

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 pm

How do law school exams differ from UG exams? How is the prep different, if at all?

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Thinking about staying in one of the Columbia affiliated places (either the Teachers College or the Theological Seminary) during the upcoming admitted students days. Is that a decent option? Price wise it looks like it is, just want to make sure there aren't any other off putting factors.

J90

Postby J90 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 pm

MCFC wrote:Thinking about staying in one of the Columbia affiliated places (either the Teachers College or the Theological Seminary) during the upcoming admitted students days. Is that a decent option? Price wise it looks like it is, just want to make sure there aren't any other off putting factors.

If it's something you'd consider, I shot an email to one of the students the handbook had listed for ASP accommodations, and that's where I'll be staying for the night!

On a slightly different note, could any current students provide some insight into the housing process? Is this something I should submit ASAP, or would it be fine to wait until after the admitted students' program to scope out the apartments and make a decision?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 pm

J90 wrote:On a slightly different note, could any current students provide some insight into the housing process? Is this something I should submit ASAP, or would it be fine to wait until after the admitted students' program to scope out the apartments and make a decision?

I believe the deadline to submit isn't until after ASW. I submitted my stuff before then but then updated it after I had a chance to see the area.

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”