Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
otnemem

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby otnemem » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 pm

So I guess that 3.33 median + 40% Stone is probably a pretty good estimate.

Yeah, you're probably right, although I wish you weren't.

Also, taking time off between undergrad and law school is almost always the right move when you have a good opportunity.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:58 pm

otnemem wrote:
So I guess that 3.33 median + 40% Stone is probably a pretty good estimate.

Yeah, you're probably right, although I wish you weren't.

I'd guess Bronk is right. I guess the one advantage of this is that if we don't know what the grades mean (and you'd have a hard time convincing me that anyone really does) firms aren't likely to know what it means either.

Also, given the way the changed happened, it'll only really impact people who would have gotten a B- before but now have a B, right? So the bottom of the curve is probably even more compressed, but I'd be surprised in the top of the curve moved evenly with it. Maybe I'm wrong because I'm bad at math, but that's my intuition. The bread and butter Stone range (folks who got A-'s and B+'s) probably hasn't moved that much.

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Also, given the way the changed happened, it'll only really impact people who would have gotten a B- before but now have a B, right?

They changed the B+ and A- range sometime last year. I'm fairly certain the tweak you are talking about happened just last semester. And yes, I would guess that will only really affect the bottom of the curve.

firms aren't likely to know what it means either.

Agreed, although that doesn't preclude them from guessing, potentially in a way that isn't good for students. Hopefully the decrease in class size will offset the percentage change, resulting in a similar number of actual 1Ls who make Stone compared to previous years.

howlery

Postby howlery » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Sorry for the annoying 0L questions, but I'll be sitting in on a class on Tuesday. I won't know which are available until about noon when the schedule will be posted (from what admissions told me), but do you have any recommendations? Does CLS typically open the same few classes for visitors or will it be totally random?

I promise to be invisible, no gunning.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:13 pm

howlery wrote:Sorry for the annoying 0L questions, but I'll be sitting in on a class on Tuesday. I won't know which are available until about noon when the schedule will be posted (from what admissions told me), but do you have any recommendations? Does CLS typically open the same few classes for visitors or will it be totally random?

I promise to be invisible, no gunning.

:lol: I wouldn't be too worried. People are (or at least should be) super chill at this point in the semester. I have no idea who they normally send folks to. If you have options and post them here, I'm sure someone can tell you whose class to sit in on.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 am

Last edited by MCFC on Mon May 25, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:04 pm

MCFC wrote:So I was admitted last week and just read through the whole thread. Great stuff, thanks for taking questions. I noticed that the merits of the indoor gym were discussed a few times, but as someone who prefers to run outside, does anyone have experience with that? Riverside Park was mentioned as being good for biking, is it a decent place to run as well?

The parks are excellent for running. Don't know how great they are when it's cold/snowing but I see people out running in pretty much any weather so if you can handle that you'll find lots of places to run.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
MCFC wrote:So I was admitted last week and just read through the whole thread. Great stuff, thanks for taking questions. I noticed that the merits of the indoor gym were discussed a few times, but as someone who prefers to run outside, does anyone have experience with that? Riverside Park was mentioned as being good for biking, is it a decent place to run as well?

The parks are excellent for running. Don't know how great they are when it's cold/snowing but I see people out running in pretty much any weather so if you can handle that you'll find lots of places to run.

There's a 10k at riverside going on right now. So yeah, people run it at any time of the year.

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Is guest WiFi available? Through googling I found info on internet for apartments but not passersby. Debating on whether to take my macbook or not.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:51 am

howlery wrote:Is guest WiFi available? Through googling I found info on internet for apartments but not passersby. Debating on whether to take my macbook or not.

I believe they shut it down for guests early last semester (the bandwidth was being used up or something).

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:21 am

Bronck wrote:
howlery wrote:Is guest WiFi available? Through googling I found info on internet for apartments but not passersby. Debating on whether to take my macbook or not.

I believe they shut it down for guests early last semester (the bandwidth was being used up or something).

Crud. Guess I'll just sit in on a random class or two. Maybe I'll run in to one of you guys :lol: .

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:22 am

howlery wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Crud. Guess I'll just sit in on a random class or two. Maybe I'll run in to one of you guys :lol: .

If I see some random dude sitting in the back, I guess I'll know who it is :lol:

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:27 am

Bronck wrote:
howlery wrote:
Bronck wrote:

If I see some random dude sitting in the back, I guess I'll know who it is :lol:

I hadn't thought of that actually. Won't it be obvious that I'm a visiting 0L since my face won't be familiar? Gonna find the biggest lecture possible haha.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:50 am

No one (or at least no one worth caring about) would look down on you for visiting. We are at most a few years out from your position. And if you sit in on any 1L class (and most upper year classes) you are almost guaranteed to be in a class too big for people even to notice (only two rooms on the lower floor of the main law school building are even small). This is not something to sweat at all. I would wager most people would love to talk to you if you have any Qs about the class or CLS in general.

And, as an added bonus, you can watch as one half the class Gchats or Facebooks the entire period.

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Know of a place to eat lunch? I accidentally ordered a gigantic sub from Hamilton's and am freezing.

Killing time til Criminal Law

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 pm

howlery wrote:Know of a place to eat lunch? I accidentally ordered a gigantic sub from Hamilton's and am freezing.

Probably too late for this, but Lenfest Cafe in Jerome Greene, or basically anywhere in the lobby or 2nd floor mezzanine area.

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:45 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
howlery wrote:Know of a place to eat lunch? I accidentally ordered a gigantic sub from Hamilton's and am freezing.

Probably too late for this, but Lenfest Cafe in Jerome Greene, or basically anywhere in the lobby or 2nd floor mezzanine area.

Ah, thanks. Ended up at the Starbucks across the street. I think I'll be back tomorrow since I got lost on the way there (and back). Didn't have much time to look around. Hopefully I'll be sitting in on Ginsburg and Wu tomorrow. Do you know if there is a limit on how often I can visit? I'll be here til April and wouldn't mind spending everyday/other day sitting in on classes.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm

howlery wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Ah, thanks. Ended up at the Starbucks across the street. I think I'll be back tomorrow since I got lost on the way there (and back). Didn't have much time to look around. Hopefully I'll be sitting in on Ginsburg and Wu tomorrow. Do you know if there is a limit on how often I can visit? I'll be here til April and wouldn't mind spending everyday/other day sitting in on classes.

Ginsburg as in Trademarks? I'm in that class! :)

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 pm

piccolittle wrote:
howlery wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Ginsburg as in Trademarks? I'm in that class! :)

Haha, awesome! I'm not sure if I'll go to Trademarks or Copyright Law, it depends on when I get up. Do you like the class? Does she ever tell funny stories about her mother?

Also thanks to cardinals1989 for the recommendation. Criminal Law with Lynch was so great. I was trying not to giggle for most of it, was just so excited.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

howlery wrote:
Haha, awesome! I'm not sure if I'll go to Trademarks or Copyright Law, it depends on when I get up. Do you like the class? Does she ever tell funny stories about her mother?

Also thanks to cardinals1989 for the recommendation. Criminal Law with Lynch was so great. I was trying not to giggle for most of it, was just so excited.

I don’t know about her upper year courses, but in Legal Methods she never even mentioned the relation (although of course everyone knew). She even talked about her mother as if she didn’t know her when we discussed Justice Ginsburg’s opinions. Although there were family photos when she invited the class to her apartment for drinks at the end of Legal Methods.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 pm

howlery wrote:Also thanks to cardinals1989 for the recommendation. Criminal Law with Lynch was so great. I was trying not to giggle for most of it, was just so excited.

Haha were you there today? He was pretty funny. Great dude.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
howlery wrote:Also thanks to cardinals1989 for the recommendation. Criminal Law with Lynch was so great. I was trying not to giggle for most of it, was just so excited.

Yeah, I love him. One of my favorite profs so far, even if I hardly get any notes from the class.

howlery

Postby howlery » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Yeah, I was there! There were three of us visiting that I know of. Loved that story about him getting duped in Washington Square :lol:

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:45 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
howlery wrote:

I don’t know about her upper year courses, but in Legal Methods she never even mentioned the relation (although of course everyone knew). She even talked about her mother as if she didn’t know her when we discussed Justice Ginsburg’s opinions. Although there were family photos when she invited the class to her apartment for drinks at the end of Legal Methods.

Yeah she doesn't mention her mom at all, and to be honest I can see why. She's a superstar in her own right. We haven't gotten to any recent Supreme Court cases in Trademarks, so it'll be interesting to see how she reacts to a Ginsburg opinion.

I would recommend visiting this class for a couple of reasons: a) it's later in the day than Copyright (though Cs is her specialty, so...), and b) she brings in little objects for show-and-tell. It's really cute and I love the class, even if her reputation as a professor hasn't been the best. I guess her style fits with my preferences.

Edit: oops, skipping this class today. Oh well.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:08 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Edit: oops, skipping this class today. Oh well.

:lol:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”