Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
maroon175

Bronze

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by maroon175 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:29 pm

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I got an email two days ago that my refund is processed. It shows the same on my student account, and I have my direct deposit set up. Still nothing on my account, though... I'm guessing it takes a couple of days to go through?
Yeah. Don't expect it until next week. (hopefully Monday)
Checked my bank account this morning.. I received some of my loan refund but not all of the total amount.

This hasn't happened before and I find it strange.. anyone else experience this?

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:02 pm

maroon175 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I got an email two days ago that my refund is processed. It shows the same on my student account, and I have my direct deposit set up. Still nothing on my account, though... I'm guessing it takes a couple of days to go through?
Yeah. Don't expect it until next week. (hopefully Monday)
Checked my bank account this morning.. I received some of my loan refund but not all of the total amount.

This hasn't happened before and I find it strange.. anyone else experience this?
I haven't gotten any of it. Frustrating

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:04 pm

2L here.

Is anything serious gonna happen if I miss 2-3 classes the first week due to interviews.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:14 pm

KijiStewart wrote:2L here.

Is anything serious gonna happen if I miss 2-3 classes the first week due to interviews.
No. Other than try to not skip the first class in each

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:59 pm

I know these often go unanswered, but maybe it'll be worth a shot.

I have Liebman for Torts, Katz for Contracts, and Johnson for Civ. Pro. and would GREATLY appreciate if anyone who's had these professors and is willing to discuss their testing/teaching style and what they like on their exams PM'd me. Thank you in advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ellie924

New

Post by ellie924 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Does anyone have any advice about switching units in UAH? I'm pretty unhappy in my living situation and would like to move to a studio. I've heard it's relatively easy/possible to move but wondering if anyone has had experience with the process?

clsturtle

New

Post by clsturtle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:03 pm

ellie924 wrote: I've heard it's relatively easy/possible to move but wondering if anyone has had experience with the process?
Hahaha. It is not easy if you have a specific type of housing in mind. If you are willing to move to any vacant room in any apartment, it can be easy. If you want as studio, it could take a year. You can set-up an appointment with them and ask what is possible. Make sure you file on time!

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:34 pm

How is being in law school in NYC? I am applying this fall to schools and obviously Columbia is a great school.

Im from the city but went to ugrad in Boston which is way more slower paced than NY. Just trying to get a feel in I would like law school there since i havent been in New York really for for 4+ years and havent lived there being 21+ Which is a whole other ball game

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:How is being in law school in NYC? I am applying this fall to schools and obviously Columbia is a great school.

Im from the city but went to ugrad in Boston which is way more slower paced than NY. Just trying to get a feel in I would like law school there since i havent been in New York really for for 4+ years and havent lived there being 21+ Which is a whole other ball game
I don't think there's anything unique about the law school experience in NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Nebby wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:How is being in law school in NYC? I am applying this fall to schools and obviously Columbia is a great school.

For some reason I assumed college in NY would be hard so I left. I guess in law school most dont get distracted by NYC stimulation?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

For some reason I assumed college in NY would be hard so I left. I guess in law school most dont get distracted by NYC stimulation?
Columbia is pretty far away from everything else in the city. It's not that distracting.

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 pm

True! Thanks guys ^^

SexualSalad

New

Post by SexualSalad » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:29 am

Any recommendations for the best bar prep course? Billing to firm so cost is not a consideration. I'm leaning towards Kaplan for the $500 gift card at the moment but it seems like Barbri is what most people use.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Themis is the best

cfcm

Silver

Post by cfcm » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Just do whatever gives you the most swag/cash.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Does anyone have advice on which elective would result in the smallest workload for the easiest curve in the spring? I know that's it's probably not Corp. Fed Tax or any of the 1L classes but am clueless beyond that and can't find anything based on searching. Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Empirical Analysis of Law/[homophobic language redacted]
Law and Contemporary Society/Moglen
Law and Neoliberalism/Thomas
Lawyering for Change/Sturm
Legislation and Regulation/Strauss
The U.S. and the International Legal System/Waxman

Upper-year:

American Legal History/Ponsa
Corporations, Sec 3/Coffee
Federal Income Taxation/Raskolnikov
International Law/Damrosch
Labor Law/Barenberg
Law and Development/Pistor
Law and Legal Institutions in China/Liebman
Transnational Litigation/Smit

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:08 pm

BrainsyK wrote:Does anyone have advice on which elective would result in the smallest workload for the easiest curve in the spring? I know that's it's probably not Corp. Fed Tax or any of the 1L classes but am clueless beyond that and can't find anything based on searching. Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Empirical Analysis of Law/[homophobic language redacted]
Law and Contemporary Society/Moglen
Law and Neoliberalism/Thomas
Lawyering for Change/Sturm
Legislation and Regulation/Strauss
The U.S. and the International Legal System/Waxman

Upper-year:

American Legal History/Ponsa
Corporations, Sec 3/Coffee
Federal Income Taxation/Raskolnikov
International Law/Damrosch
Labor Law/Barenberg
Law and Development/Pistor
Law and Legal Institutions in China/Liebman
Transnational Litigation/Smit
FedTax w/ Raskolnikov is 10/10. The curve is easy because it's full of checked out 3Ls. Raskolnikov tries hard to actually teach and doesn't hide the ball. If you put in a good faith effort you will get a decent grade. One of my buddies claimed Law and Development had an easy curve but I can't really speak personally to it. I wasn't a fan of Pistor for corporations.

I wouldn't take any of the hippy dippy 1L seminars because I've heard of way too many people getting median pwned in those.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 am

Do you have to submit the Minor Writing Requirement paperwork before/during the semester you took the class, or can it be done retroactively?

I had no idea I had to manually sign up for that.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:58 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Do you have to submit the Minor Writing Requirement paperwork before/during the semester you took the class, or can it be done retroactively?

Retroactively but it’ll be for the current semester and done automatically at the end of the semester.

Same thing happened to me
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Kummel wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:Do you have to submit the Minor Writing Requirement paperwork before/during the semester you took the class, or can it be done retroactively?

Retroactively but it’ll be for the current semester and done automatically at the end of the semester.

Same thing happened to me
Same. I was under the mistaken assumption that seminars that automatically qualify for minor writing would just be recorded as satisfying the requirement. Why they require additional filing is still beyond me.

carmtastic

New

Post by carmtastic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Opinion on which class I should sit in as a prospective student & with which prof?

Will be in town after thanksgiving and figured I might as well drop by.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:28 pm

carmtastic wrote:Opinion on which class I should sit in as a prospective student & with which prof?

Will be in town after thanksgiving and figured I might as well drop by.
What are your options? I'd recommend a 1L class though. Or at least a larger lecture.

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:42 pm

anyone have any decent outlines for admin w/ metzger?

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Obviously there's no right answer to this but please give it a shot.

When CLS students ask: "so which firm are you going to" would you say that's normal small talk in the same way students may ask "what classes are you in" or is it a subtle way that CLS students try to gain info about their peers (ie. I wanna know if he/she is going to Cravath so I can make friends with that person; or if he's not going to a V20 then this person must suck type of thing... )

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:42 pm

KijiStewart wrote:Obviously there's no right answer to this but please give it a shot.

When CLS students ask: "so which firm are you going to" would you say that's normal small talk in the same way students may ask "what classes are you in" or is it a subtle way that CLS students try to gain info about their peers (ie. I wanna know if he/she is going to Cravath so I can make friends with that person; or if he's not going to a V20 then this person must suck type of thing... )
naw i think thats pretty normal small talk around CLS. people choose different firms for a whole host of reasons and no one really cares why you chose x or y, it's just a thing to talk about.

- "hey do you know where youre gonna be this summer?"
- "yea going to a firm."
- "cool, which one?"
- "cravath"
- "oh nice, marcia is going there too"
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”