Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jrc223

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:22 am

is it normal for profs to wait this long before posting syllabi

still have no idea what i'm supposed to read for tuesday's classes

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:50 am

jadenkorr wrote:Another dumb 1L question (actually, can't believe this hasn't been asked): best liquor store in the area?

I loved living near International Wines & Spirits on Broadway. It's probably a little overpriced, but what isn't. They're nice people, and after three years of dedicated business, they supplied me with all the boxes I could possibly need for moving. It's all I could ever want in a liquor store.

CLSGumbo

Postby CLSGumbo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:57 pm

How long does it normally take for the loan refunds to actually hit the account from when SSOL says it was submitted for direct deposit.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:56 pm

CLSGumbo wrote:How long does it normally take for the loan refunds to actually hit the account from when SSOL says it was submitted for direct deposit.

2-3 business days

Burlington4174

Postby Burlington4174 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:49 pm

LifeGoals wrote:anyone have a good ponsa outline for con law? there isn't one on the main publicly accessible bank

There are almost no good outlines on the publicly accessible bank. It is incredibly outdated.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:59 pm

jrc223 wrote:is it normal for profs to wait this long before posting syllabi

still have no idea what i'm supposed to read for tuesday's classes

Meh, if they haven't posted or emailed anything, nothing you can do, right? As long as you check Courseworks and there's nothing there, you can't be expected to know what to do

ugg

Postby ugg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:06 am

How heavily involved in extracurricular activities (clubs, volunteering, etc) did you become first 1L semester and what would you guys recommend as a good balance? I'm trying to figure out how much I should do.

CLSGumbo

Postby CLSGumbo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:40 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
CLSGumbo wrote:How long does it normally take for the loan refunds to actually hit the account from when SSOL says it was submitted for direct deposit.

2-3 business days

It's been 5 business days...

I know this isn't law school fin aid, so I tried calling the main CU fin aid office. Was on hold for 15 minutes before I just gave up :roll:

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:45 pm

White Dwarf wrote:

2-3 business days

More like 5 to 7 IME

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Yeah, it's 4-and-counting for me right now. :|

My first two were deposited almost exactly 48 hours after being released. Guess that's not the norm.

maroon175

Postby maroon175 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:51 pm

I wake up and check my bank account every morning only to be disappointed...

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:08 pm

maroon175 wrote:I wake up and check my bank account every morning only to be disappointed...

Lol

Fast forward three years, you wake up and check your great lakes borrowers account only to try to strangle yourself with your own vomit

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:17 am

ugg wrote:How heavily involved in extracurricular activities (clubs, volunteering, etc) did you become first 1L semester and what would you guys recommend as a good balance? I'm trying to figure out how much I should do.

I got involved with 2 student orgs in 1L fall, which seemed to be a good number and still gave me ample time to focus on class. It depends on the organizations and levels of commitment required, but 1 or 2 things seems like a good goal. No need to rush though, you can keep settling in and check out more groups at Block Party next week.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:54 am

So after looking at my budget and doing some calculations, looks like I might need an extra 5k in loans. Anyone here know the process for re-applying for a little extra to get by? I'm gonna go talk to financial aid office but was just curious if anyone else has done this before.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:21 am

almondjoy wrote:So after looking at my budget and doing some calculations, looks like I might need an extra 5k in loans. Anyone here know the process for re-applying for a little extra to get by? I'm gonna go talk to financial aid office but was just curious if anyone else has done this before.

I've done it. Talk to finaid. They'll email you a form to fill out and they take care of the rest. If you get started today, the money should be in your account in a month. Also remember that it will have a fee, so make sure to budget that in. (Request like $5500 or something around there)

maroon175

Postby maroon175 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Nebby wrote:
almondjoy wrote:So after looking at my budget and doing some calculations, looks like I might need an extra 5k in loans. Anyone here know the process for re-applying for a little extra to get by? I'm gonna go talk to financial aid office but was just curious if anyone else has done this before.

I've done it. Talk to finaid. They'll email you a form to fill out and they take care of the rest. If you get started today, the money should be in your account in a month. Also remember that it will have a fee, so make sure to budget that in. (Request like $5500 or something around there)

This only works if you haven't exceeded the cost of attendance budget in loans and grants combined.
If you haven't taken out the max, then you should be fine. If you have, then you'll have to show proof of where the additional funds will be going to (i.e. laptop purchase or rent that exceeds the COA estimate)

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:55 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
ugg wrote:How heavily involved in extracurricular activities (clubs, volunteering, etc) did you become first 1L semester and what would you guys recommend as a good balance? I'm trying to figure out how much I should do.

I got involved with 2 student orgs in 1L fall, which seemed to be a good number and still gave me ample time to focus on class. It depends on the organizations and levels of commitment required, but 1 or 2 things seems like a good goal. No need to rush though, you can keep settling in and check out more groups at Block Party next week.

I think a lot of the groups are pretty flexible so you can add or drop commitments as the year goes on. I know some of the pro bono projects are firmer/long term but the hours will vary so I'd just ask about them at Block Party. But yeah I'd say two groups is a good target.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:05 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

I think a lot of the groups are pretty flexible so you can add or drop commitments as the year goes on. I know some of the pro bono projects are firmer/long term but the hours will vary so I'd just ask about them at Block Party. But yeah I'd say two groups is a good target.

The only thing to avoid, which is true of commitments in general, is try not to be too flaky, especially if you volunteer to take on some responsibility. Everybody will understand if you have to take a step back or ask for help because you have a lot of work come up (although try not to make a habit out of it), but letting people know early is massively appreciated.

CLSGumbo

Postby CLSGumbo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Nebby wrote:

If you take out loans, they add the loan fees on in addition. Does LRAP cover those loan fees?
Last edited by CLSGumbo on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

petitprince

Postby petitprince » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi there!
I am not quite sure how this thread works - would it be not welcome to ask for PS advice/review here?
I am aiming for 2017 entry and currently working through my applications. Would really appreciate if someone can offer some advice on my PS/other materials, or is willing to have a chat when I visit the school in early October - please write me a private message!

Thanks a ton, :)

vorely

Postby vorely » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Do people tend to get into their first choice moot court?
How competitive is the process really and do a lot of people get weeded out by the length of the apps?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:14 pm

petitprince wrote:Hi there!
I am not quite sure how this thread works - would it be not welcome to ask for PS advice/review here?
I am aiming for 2017 entry and currently working through my applications. Would really appreciate if someone can offer some advice on my PS/other materials, or is willing to have a chat when I visit the school in early October - please write me a private message!

Thanks a ton, :)

There's a whole forum on this

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:39 pm

vorely wrote:Do people tend to get into their first choice moot court?
How competitive is the process really and do a lot of people get weeded out by the length of the apps?

Jessup is the only lengthy app, isn't it? They said at the session they got like 30+ apps for 3 spots. I'm not even bothering. FD gets a ton of apps too, though, so who knows.
I banged out two others in under two hours (though I still need to prepare my oral statements).
Disclaimer I'm a fellow 1L

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:08 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:

Jessup is the only lengthy app, isn't it? They said at the session they got like 30+ apps for 3 spots. I'm not even bothering. FD gets a ton of apps too, though, so who knows.
I banged out two others in under two hours (though I still need to prepare my oral statements).

Vis, ELMC, and FD are all 'competitive' in the sense that there are far fewer spots than applicants, but none are on the level of intensity of jessup.

John_Luther1989

Postby John_Luther1989 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:09 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:

Vis, ELMC, and FD are all 'competitive' in the sense that there are far fewer spots than applicants, but none are on the level of intensity of jessup.

Outed as jessup homer lol. Jessup is for sure more work, but that's the last thing you should want 1L year. As a foundational person I can say that the perception of FD outstrips the others by a decent margin because they're so dominant. That said, it's all intra-CLS fake ass prestige. It's cool to do externals, but other than sparking a conversation with a random alum, meeting new 1/2Ls, or helping you get a spot on a non-CLR journal because you can be identified by your resume and a member spots it and bumps you a few points there isn't a real benefit.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”