Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LALaw90210

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby LALaw90210 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:10 pm

Any furniture stores in the area besides ikea? I'm thinking about renting a uhaul and loading up on furniture rather than trying to ship my current stuff cross country.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:40 pm

LALaw90210 wrote:Any furniture stores in the area besides ikea? I'm thinking about renting a uhaul and loading up on furniture rather than trying to ship my current stuff cross country.

In the area? Not really. There are stores all over NYC (and north jersey) though if you're gonna have a van.

You could also find a number of good things off craigslist

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:41 pm

LALaw90210 wrote:Any furniture stores in the area besides ikea? I'm thinking about renting a uhaul and loading up on furniture rather than trying to ship my current stuff cross country.

If you're competent, you could hit up Amazon and find build it yourself furniture that's cheaper than Ikea in some cases

slimshady

Postby slimshady » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:26 am

Hey guys,

Incoming 1L here. Any 2L/3L's remember their schedules from first semester of 1L?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:33 am

slimshady wrote:Hey guys,

Incoming 1L here. Any 2L/3L's remember their schedules from first semester of 1L?

It really depends on your section and if you have visiting profs. Legal Methods is pretty standard 5x a week for 3 hours a day.

After LM ends, you'll usually have classes Mon-Thurs. Usually classes are between 9-5, but your LPW might be early AM or late PM. I think one section last year had a friday class, but that was because they had a visiting prof.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Does anyone have any idea what a Davis Polk & Wardwell Fellow is?

slimshady

Postby slimshady » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:33 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:

It really depends on your section and if you have visiting profs. Legal Methods is pretty standard 5x a week for 3 hours a day.

After LM ends, you'll usually have classes Mon-Thurs. Usually classes are between 9-5, but your LPW might be early AM or late PM. I think one section last year had a friday class, but that was because they had a visiting prof.

Thank you!

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:47 pm

I had:

Civ Pro: 1:40-2:40 MTWR
Contracts: 2:50-4:10 MTW
Torts: 10:00-12:00 RF
LPW: 11:00-12:00 W

You get 3 credits for Legal Methods, so your full semester schedule is pretty light (though it'll still feel overwhelming at times).

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:02 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Does anyone have any idea what a Davis Polk & Wardwell Fellow is?

Fellowship funded by DPW. I have never heard of it though

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:39 am

DCfilterDC wrote:

You obviously don't know which classes you'll be in, but you can look at the Columbia online course catalogue right now to see what days/times 1L classes will be

freakingoutlalala

Postby freakingoutlalala » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:54 pm

for deliveries does everyone just wait at home for them to arrive or is it safe to just have it be sitting there for a few hours (UAH)

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:43 pm

freakingoutlalala wrote:for deliveries does everyone just wait at home for them to arrive or is it safe to just have it be sitting there for a few hours (UAH)

I've never had any issues, but we do get email alerts now and then about strangers coming into CU buildings and taking packages from the lobby.

If it's something valuable and easily carried, I wouldn't let it sit out for too long, but you'll probably be fine anyway. In my building there are packages sitting in the lobby/in front of doors that have been there all summer.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Is anybody else having problems with their laundry card? I think Columbia randomly changed laundry providers to tediMatts and our old cards no longer work?

ETA: confusingly, the machines are exactly the same, they just don't take the old white CSC cards.

mlp12

Postby mlp12 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:20 pm

dabigchina wrote:Is anybody else having problems with their laundry card? I think Columbia randomly changed laundry providers to tediMatts and our old cards no longer work?

ETA: confusingly, the machines are exactly the same, they just don't take the old white CSC cards.

Yes. Was told they can be converted in 601 W 113th but that some people have lost their balance as they did so.

ETA: The doorman there was able to do it for me successfully.
Last edited by mlp12 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ugg

Postby ugg » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:25 pm

How intensely is the 80% of the floor must be covered in rugs rule enforced?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:36 pm

ugg wrote:How intensely is the 80% of the floor must be covered in rugs rule enforced?

Never heard of anyone attempting to enforce it. Imagine it's only an issue if the people living below you get fed up enough to complain.

pa1901

Postby pa1901 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
ugg wrote:How intensely is the 80% of the floor must be covered in rugs rule enforced?

Never heard of anyone attempting to enforce it. Imagine it's only an issue if the people living below you get fed up enough to complain.

Same experience here. We are well under that 80% mark and I don't even have a rug at all in my room and never once has anyone said anything during the times they've had to come in our place for maintenance or whatever.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:03 pm

Step 1: Join Biggest Gainer
Step 2: Take advantage of the new deadlift/squat platforms in Dodge
Step 3: Git 'yuge!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=267547

freakingoutlalala

Postby freakingoutlalala » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:50 am

Nebby wrote:Step 1: Join Biggest Gainer

is the gym really as bad as people have made it out to be?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:36 am

freakingoutlalala wrote:

No. It's fine, but it gets busy on the evenings. Here's the schedule: http://perec.columbia.edu/content/sched ... ouncements

I recommend weekend afternoons and 3pm-6pm on weekdays. The schedule above says mid-level opens at 3pm (you could also squeak in throughout the day but there's only hour breaks). Unless they have changed over the summer, mid-level is where the free weights, top level and bottom level are cardio/weight machines.

vorely

Postby vorely » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:46 am

Nebby wrote:
freakingoutlalala wrote:

No. It's fine, but it gets busy on the evenings. Here's the schedule: http://perec.columbia.edu/content/sched ... ouncements

I recommend weekend afternoons and 3pm-6pm on weekdays. The schedule above says mid-level opens at 3pm (you could also squeak in throughout the day but there's only hour breaks). Unless they have changed over the summer, mid-level is where the free weights, top level and bottom level are cardio/weight machines.

how are the mornings?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:49 am

vorely wrote:
Nebby wrote:
freakingoutlalala wrote:

how are the mornings?

Not busy, but classes typically start at 8am so your morning window is 6 to 8

freakingoutlalala

Postby freakingoutlalala » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:07 pm

thank you to everyone for answering all these questions :) it's been really helpful!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Nebby wrote:
vorely wrote:
Nebby wrote:
freakingoutlalala wrote:

how are the mornings?

Not busy, but classes typically start at 8am so your morning window is 6 to 8

I feel like this is deceptive, cause for most reasonable human beings, morning is like 9-11, which is not a good time to be at dodge. The "morning window [of] 6 to 8" is for sleeping. One of the chief complaints about the columbia gym is how packed it gets in the mornings.

CerealMilk

Postby CerealMilk » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:36 am

For anyone not living in a building with a front desk do you know how packages work? Do they deliver like in normal apartments or do you have to send it to/pick it up at a mail center? Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”