Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kingpin101

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby kingpin101 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:23 am

LetsGoMets wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:You can get a meal (lunch or dinner) from Seamless for $12 to $15 at the cheapest. So if you do that every day for dinner plus add $5/day for breakfast, well, there are ~30 days/mo., you're looking at around $550/mo., plus lunch. For lunch, you can get food from events for free about 3 days/week for about 6 months out of the year, which means $400/mo. for the 6 months you can't get it free and $108/mo. for the 6 months you can get it free.

In sum, this strategy would cost you about $950/mo. for half the year and $658/mo. for the other half of the year. Of course, if you are willing to buy groceries that don't require "cooking" per se (like cereal for breakfast, pre-made salads for lunch or dinner, etc.), you could make things a bit cheaper (up to 50% less for the more expensive half of the year, probably).

Not necessarily - there are cheap Chinese/Indian/Thai places with huge portions where you can get 2 entrees for less than $30 with tip. For me that's typically 4 dinners, so that's $7.50/meal. $5 for breakfast is also nuts - a few $5 boxes of cereal last me for weeks.

Care to name some places you like?

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:35 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:You can get a meal (lunch or dinner) from Seamless for $12 to $15 at the cheapest. So if you do that every day for dinner plus add $5/day for breakfast, well, there are ~30 days/mo., you're looking at around $550/mo., plus lunch. For lunch, you can get food from events for free about 3 days/week for about 6 months out of the year, which means $400/mo. for the 6 months you can't get it free and $108/mo. for the 6 months you can get it free.

In sum, this strategy would cost you about $950/mo. for half the year and $658/mo. for the other half of the year. Of course, if you are willing to buy groceries that don't require "cooking" per se (like cereal for breakfast, pre-made salads for lunch or dinner, etc.), you could make things a bit cheaper (up to 50% less for the more expensive half of the year, probably).

Not necessarily - there are cheap Chinese/Indian/Thai places with huge portions where you can get 2 entrees for less than $30 with tip. For me that's typically 4 dinners, so that's $7.50/meal. $5 for breakfast is also nuts - a few $5 boxes of cereal last me for weeks.

That's a fair point. Maharaja Palace (the one in Harlem, which also delivers to Morningside Heights, is better) has a special that will make two meals, and it's in the $12 to $15 range. So yeah, maybe you could cut my numbers down a bit (let's say somewhere in the $600/mo. range for half the year and somewhere in the $400 range for the other half).

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:18 pm

kingpin101 wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

Chapati house is solid. Thai market was one of my delivery favs. There was another good delivery thai place on amsterdam that closed.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:06 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
kingpin101 wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

Chapati house is solid. Thai market was one of my delivery favs. There was another good delivery thai place on amsterdam that closed.

+1 on Chapati House, though somewhat of a limited menu. Maharaja Palace is also good, larger menu though the quality is slightly lower. For Chinese I like Red Star but haven't branched out that much, I'm sure there are other good options. Opai Thai is solid, and absolutely massive portions. I know people swear by Tum & Yum also. Point is, lots of great options, and even the kind of weak food is still more than passable when it works out to less than $8/dinner, and you have 55 pages to read that night.

StringerSoprano_6062

Postby StringerSoprano_6062 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks for the answers, guys.

I also had a question about outlining: does Columbia have an outline bank? I have heard that there are some schools that make available student outlines from previous years. If not, what is the best way to get your hand on a quality outline? It seems that organizations at some schools share outlines amongst themselves, but if we are not expected to join these organizations during 1L, what is the best way to go about getting a solid outline?

kingpin101

Postby kingpin101 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:45 pm

StringerSoprano_6062 wrote:Thanks for the answers, guys.

I also had a question about outlining: does Columbia have an outline bank? I have heard that there are some schools that make available student outlines from previous years. If not, what is the best way to get your hand on a quality outline? It seems that organizations at some schools share outlines amongst themselves, but if we are not expected to join these organizations during 1L, what is the best way to go about getting a solid outline?

All it takes to "join" an organization in order to get outline banks is to pay dues. And yes, many clubs do have outline banks.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:06 pm

You are definitely expected to join student organizations as a 1L, so then you can run them as a 2L.

I also found Peer Mentors were a good resource for old outlines, since among the 4 or so you get assigned (which happens during orientation), someone almost definitely had some of your professors last year, and if not they know someone that did.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:09 pm

You also can just ask friends in different student orgs to check their outline banks for you. Technically they're not supposed to, but I don't know anyone who followed that rule.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:38 pm

Random question: why is Columbia's exam bank so bad compared to schools like Harvard? Did Student Senate just give up on getting new exams from professors 10 years ago? Is it a management issue? Have professors tightened up on what they're sharing?

It seems like there have been very few exams added in the last 10 years, and I doubt it's all because of professors because some of them are quite willing to share a ton of exams with their classes.

Bach-City

Postby Bach-City » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:12 pm

kingpin101 wrote:

All it takes to "join" an organization in order to get outline banks is to pay dues. And yes, many clubs do have outline banks.

How much are dues at an organization typically? I see at least three that match my interests well.

kingpin101

Postby kingpin101 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Bach-City wrote:
kingpin101 wrote:

How much are dues at an organization typically? I see at least three that match my interests well.

A lot organizations don't have dues. But the ones that do are usually less than $50 a year, sometimes with discounts for all three years. Although I remember devinimus was like $100 but that's because they've got all those bourgeois wines.

Bach-City

Postby Bach-City » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:31 pm

kingpin101 wrote:
Bach-City wrote:
kingpin101 wrote:

A lot organizations don't have dues. But the ones that do are usually less than $50 a year, sometimes with discounts for all three years. Although I remember devinimus was like $100 but that's because they've got all those bourgeois wines.

That's not too bad. Most of the ones I'm looking at are just social groups for various demographics I happen to share. I imagine they're less likely to have dues.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:54 am

There is an outline bank. https://remote.law.columbia.edu/EFTClie ... /Login.htm

It's not huge and some of the outlines are pretty dated by now, but just figured I'd mention it in case you weren't aware of it. I found good starter outlines on there for Torts and Civ Pro, among others.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:26 am

GoneSouth wrote:Random question: why is Columbia's exam bank so bad compared to schools like Harvard? Did Student Senate just give up on getting new exams from professors 10 years ago? Is it a management issue? Have professors tightened up on what they're sharing?

It seems like there have been very few exams added in the last 10 years, and I doubt it's all because of professors because some of them are quite willing to share a ton of exams with their classes.

Are you talking about the G drive resources? Keep in mind that a lot of the outline resources are journal driven; law review, JTL, CLBR, ect each keep their own outline banks and you can share between them. A lot of outline sharing is also peer-to-peer and established via student organizations.

Where the G drive is most valuable though is former exams. Another student's outline is cool and all, but during 1L what you really want are past exams to run through using your own outline.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:55 am

jbagelboy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:Random question: why is Columbia's exam bank so bad compared to schools like Harvard? Did Student Senate just give up on getting new exams from professors 10 years ago? Is it a management issue? Have professors tightened up on what they're sharing?

Are you talking about the G drive resources? Keep in mind that a lot of the outline resources are journal driven; law review, JTL, CLBR, ect each keep their own outline banks and you can share between them. A lot of outline sharing is also peer-to-peer and established via student organizations.

Where the G drive is most valuable though is former exams. Another student's outline is cool and all, but during 1L what you really want are past exams to run through using your own outline.

Yeah, I'm talking about the G drive. Most of the exams in there are going on 10 years old. I found them to be of varying usefulness, given that many professors have significantly changed both their exam format and what they teach in the last decade. My understanding is that at Harvard, they have access to a lot more recent exams.

Did Senate just stop updating the G drive with new exams at some point? Or what's the deal?

CLSGumbo

Postby CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Sorry for posting this here, but rising 3L, taking out loans for the first time so a bit confused. Talked to fin aid and they said I'm fine on time, and have recently submitted everything (FAFSA, fin aid questionnaire, MPN), except I haven't actually applied for any loans. Where do I actually apply/ask for money? I know I have to apply for an unsubsidized stafford 20.5k and the rest as grad plus loan. Do I do this after the fin aid office "certifies?" Or do I do this now (where)? Thanks for all the help guys!

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 am

CLSGumbo wrote:Sorry for posting this here, but rising 3L, taking out loans for the first time so a bit confused. Talked to fin aid and they said I'm fine on time, and have recently submitted everything (FAFSA, fin aid questionnaire, MPN), except I haven't actually applied for any loans. Where do I actually apply/ask for money? I know I have to apply for an unsubsidized stafford 20.5k and the rest as grad plus loan. Do I do this after the fin aid office "certifies?" Or do I do this now (where)? Thanks for all the help guys!

They do it for you after you submitted the fin aid questionnaire. If they said you're all good then you're all good.

CLSGumbo

Postby CLSGumbo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Nebby wrote:
CLSGumbo wrote:Sorry for posting this here, but rising 3L, taking out loans for the first time so a bit confused. Talked to fin aid and they said I'm fine on time, and have recently submitted everything (FAFSA, fin aid questionnaire, MPN), except I haven't actually applied for any loans. Where do I actually apply/ask for money? I know I have to apply for an unsubsidized stafford 20.5k and the rest as grad plus loan. Do I do this after the fin aid office "certifies?" Or do I do this now (where)? Thanks for all the help guys!

They do it for you after you submitted the fin aid questionnaire. If they said you're all good then you're all good.

Oh didn't realize they apply for the loans for me. Thank you!!

benwyatt

Postby benwyatt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:35 pm

For those of you who scanned books instead of buying them, how awful a process was that?

pittsburghpirates

Postby pittsburghpirates » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:48 pm

benwyatt wrote:For those of you who scanned books instead of buying them, how awful a process was that?

Also curious about this, trying to save some $

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:48 pm

benwyatt wrote:For those of you who scanned books instead of buying them, how awful a process was that?

In the age of the podcast? It's great. I averaged about 100 pages per 15 minutes, 400 pages/hour, which usually went by really fast. If the library has the book, you can do it in small batches throughout the semester to spread things out. If you have to pull a buy-return, one longer session is probably better. Just try to go on a weekend when the scanning room isn't too crowded, or else you'll be that asshole. Check your syllabus beforehand, sometimes profs will give page numbers which can cut your scanning time down significantly. Personally, the idea of saving that much money was so insanely satisfying, that the time investment seemed minimal in comparison.

benwyatt

Postby benwyatt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 pm

ph5354a wrote:

In the age of the podcast? It's great. I averaged about 100 pages per 15 minutes, 400 pages/hour, which usually went by really fast. If the library has the book, you can do it in small batches throughout the semester to spread things out. If you have to pull a buy-return, one longer session is probably better. Just try to go on a weekend when the scanning room isn't too crowded, or else you'll be that asshole. Check your syllabus beforehand, sometimes profs will give page numbers which can cut your scanning time down significantly. Personally, the idea of saving that much money was so insanely satisfying, that the time investment seemed minimal in comparison.

That's not terrible! Thanks!

LifeGoals

Postby LifeGoals » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:43 pm

So I'm moving in 10 days before registration. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should do during that time? I don't know a ton of people in the area, so I'd like to get out and be sociable before classes start.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:52 pm

LifeGoals wrote:So I'm moving in 10 days before registration. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should do during that time? I don't know a ton of people in the area, so I'd like to get out and be sociable before classes start.

10 days before registration? so like a week before orientation? there will probably be a community service event the friday before too, that you should go to to meet people. Which would cut your days even shorter. if you're in cls housing id try chatting up with neighbors

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:26 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:So I'm moving in 10 days before registration. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should do during that time? I don't know a ton of people in the area, so I'd like to get out and be sociable before classes start.

10 days before registration? so like a week before orientation? there will probably be a community service event the friday before too, that you should go to to meet people. Which would cut your days even shorter. if you're in cls housing id try chatting up with neighbors

Post something in the CLS 2019 Facebook group closer to when you move in. Last year 1Ls who got to NYC early used that to organize some meet ups.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”