Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mlp12
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby mlp12 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Got an offer from a secondary journal asking for a response by end of day today. I'm a little confused, b/c I thought calls wouldn't go out until after LR offers tomorrow. Am I right that this means I didn't get LR and should accept?

jrc223
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:03 pm

mlp12 wrote:Got an offer from a secondary journal asking for a response by end of day today. I'm a little confused, b/c I thought calls wouldn't go out until after LR offers tomorrow. Am I right that this means I didn't get LR and should accept?


LR calls went out today

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby LetsGoMets » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:0L with a quick preparing-to-move-in question: I'm in UAH and trying to decide whether to get internet through the school or Time Warner. Any thoughts or preferences? Obviously, I've heard tons of Time Warner woes, but I just wanted to check and see if the university service is reliable and worth the slightly higher price.


Not sure how much Time Warner is but I found the University internet to be super reliable. You have to get your own router, if that makes a difference to you. And they definitely monitor your activity for illegal downloading #ContributoryLiability


When I was in Lenfest 1L, I stole a neighbor's Wifi until that person got busted for downloading Game of Thrones. Literally got directed to a page showing an HBO complaint to Columbia.


Lol of course you did. I'm willing to bet you're also the guy that buys the 2 lb bag of dry rice and eats all semester

Also can confirm that the Columbia internet, at least in Lenfest, is amazing. Limited only by the speed of my router. If I plug in over ethernet I get 80-90 mbps.

GoneSouth
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:53 pm

jrc223 wrote:
mlp12 wrote:Got an offer from a secondary journal asking for a response by end of day today. I'm a little confused, b/c I thought calls wouldn't go out until after LR offers tomorrow. Am I right that this means I didn't get LR and should accept?


LR calls went out today


So if you got a call from a secondary, no LR right?

User avatar
White Dwarf
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby White Dwarf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:03 pm

And if you didn't get a call from a secondary today....?

jrc223
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:08 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
mlp12 wrote:Got an offer from a secondary journal asking for a response by end of day today. I'm a little confused, b/c I thought calls wouldn't go out until after LR offers tomorrow. Am I right that this means I didn't get LR and should accept?


LR calls went out today


So if you got a call from a secondary, no LR right?


LR is giving people until the end of today to confirm. My guess is that they expect perfect to near perfect yield, which is why secondary journals are also contacting people today. Of course, if some of those chosen for LR have transferred or have changed their minds for whatever reason, then more offers will ostensibly be extended. If I were you, I would probably just accept the secondary journal and reneg if given an offer for LR in the coming days, but that's just me.

GoneSouth
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:13 pm

jrc223 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
mlp12 wrote:Got an offer from a secondary journal asking for a response by end of day today. I'm a little confused, b/c I thought calls wouldn't go out until after LR offers tomorrow. Am I right that this means I didn't get LR and should accept?


LR calls went out today


So if you got a call from a secondary, no LR right?


LR is giving people until the end of today to confirm. My guess is that they expect perfect to near perfect yield, which is why secondary journals are also contacting people today. Of course, if some of those chosen for LR have transferred or have changed their minds for whatever reason, then more offers will ostensibly be extended. If I were you, I would probably just accept the secondary journal and reneg if given an offer for LR in the coming days, but that's just me.


So if I accept, it's not going to take me off the law review alternate list, right?

jrc223
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:26 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
mlp12 wrote:Got an offer from a secondary journal asking for a response by end of day today. I'm a little confused, b/c I thought calls wouldn't go out until after LR offers tomorrow. Am I right that this means I didn't get LR and should accept?


LR calls went out today


So if you got a call from a secondary, no LR right?


LR is giving people until the end of today to confirm. My guess is that they expect perfect to near perfect yield, which is why secondary journals are also contacting people today. Of course, if some of those chosen for LR have transferred or have changed their minds for whatever reason, then more offers will ostensibly be extended. If I were you, I would probably just accept the secondary journal and reneg if given an offer for LR in the coming days, but that's just me.


So if I accept, it's not going to take me off the law review alternate list, right?



As a disclaimer, I am also a rising 2L and was not selected for LR. So take everything I say with a grain of salt. But if I had to guess, I would say that being contacted by a secondary journal today is probably an indication that you are not on the list of alternates for LR. I wouldn't think it unreasonable to just reach out to whomever you're supposed to contact on the secondary and ask them these questions, though

kingpin101
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby kingpin101 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:41 pm

I have a feeling not being selected for LR is a blessing in disguise anyway (unless we strike out...)

doctorjuris
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby doctorjuris » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:45 pm

What secondaries have gone out so far today?

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:52 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:0L with a quick preparing-to-move-in question: I'm in UAH and trying to decide whether to get internet through the school or Time Warner. Any thoughts or preferences? Obviously, I've heard tons of Time Warner woes, but I just wanted to check and see if the university service is reliable and worth the slightly higher price.


Not sure how much Time Warner is but I found the University internet to be super reliable. You have to get your own router, if that makes a difference to you. And they definitely monitor your activity for illegal downloading #ContributoryLiability


When I was in Lenfest 1L, I stole a neighbor's Wifi until that person got busted for downloading Game of Thrones. Literally got directed to a page showing an HBO complaint to Columbia.


Lol of course you did. I'm willing to bet you're also the guy that buys the 2 lb bag of dry rice and eats all semester

Also can confirm that the Columbia internet, at least in Lenfest, is amazing. Limited only by the speed of my router. If I plug in over ethernet I get 80-90 mbps.


Wasn't worth getting a router when I had Wifi in the lounge. Whenever I wasn't in the library, I was in there. Made a ton of lounge friends. But even then, the lounge required pants.

Even if I had the desire for one, not sure I ever at any point had the spare $60 or whatever a router costs. I blew the extra money I had from scanning textbooks on an absolute shitshow of a Halloween party at the Gansevoort.

stoopkid13
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby stoopkid13 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Got a call from HRLR, so they've made their decisions at least.

I'd just tell your caller that you're waiting to hear back/have an offer from LR. Mine asked.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:03 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:0L with a quick preparing-to-move-in question: I'm in UAH and trying to decide whether to get internet through the school or Time Warner. Any thoughts or preferences? Obviously, I've heard tons of Time Warner woes, but I just wanted to check and see if the university service is reliable and worth the slightly higher price.


Not sure how much Time Warner is but I found the University internet to be super reliable. You have to get your own router, if that makes a difference to you. And they definitely monitor your activity for illegal downloading #ContributoryLiability


When I was in Lenfest 1L, I stole a neighbor's Wifi until that person got busted for downloading Game of Thrones. Literally got directed to a page showing an HBO complaint to Columbia.


Lol of course you did. I'm willing to bet you're also the guy that buys the 2 lb bag of dry rice and eats all semester

Also can confirm that the Columbia internet, at least in Lenfest, is amazing. Limited only by the speed of my router. If I plug in over ethernet I get 80-90 mbps.


Wasn't worth getting a router when I had Wifi in the lounge. Whenever I wasn't in the library, I was in there. Made a ton of lounge friends. But even then, the lounge required pants.

Even if I had the desire for one, not sure I ever at any point had the spare $60 or whatever a router costs. I blew the extra money I had from scanning textbooks on an absolute shitshow of a Halloween party at the Gansevoort.


Those drinks are so overpriced.

Thankfully I was always so blasted by the time we got down there that I didn't really need to run up a tab.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21859
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:12 pm

I highly doubt all secondaries have gone out. These calls are being made by rising 3Ls who have a list of things better to do than call people on a Sunday.

User avatar
White Dwarf
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby White Dwarf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:52 pm

Nebby wrote:I highly doubt all secondaries have gone out. These calls are being made by rising 3Ls who have a list of things better to do than call people on a Sunday.


EDIT: Not 10 minutes after I posted this, I got a call from a journal.
Last edited by White Dwarf on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
freakingoutlalala
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby freakingoutlalala » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
plurilingue wrote:For people who transferred to CLS: did you see your grades come down from your 1L school?

Could you comment on the difference in competition between your 1L and 2L experiences?

Also, what was your rank at your previous school vs CLS?

Any regrets about transferring?

I ask on behalf of a friend who is considering transferring to CLS.


its really difficult to compare b/c people at CLS try exponentially harder 1L year than 2L or 3L years, where people generally lose interest and stop reading/outlining or in many cases even attending class, and the curve is much gentler for 2Ls and 3Ls. Also CLS doesn't do class rank or GPAs. So if you put in the level of effort as an upperclassmen that you did to get the top grades you needed to transfer to Columbia, you'd immediately be one of the hardest working/most intense people in the class, and probably perform well. In other words, a transfer comparing to 1L levels is never really competing with anyone at CLS, to the extent anyone is really "competing" in the first place.


since cls doesnt do rank or gpa aside from stone, kent and first in class award is there anything that would show where in the class someone is?

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:28 pm

freakingoutlalala wrote:since cls doesnt do rank or gpa aside from stone, kent and first in class award is there anything that would show where in the class someone is?


nope

GoneSouth
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:28 pm

freakingoutlalala wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
plurilingue wrote:For people who transferred to CLS: did you see your grades come down from your 1L school?

Could you comment on the difference in competition between your 1L and 2L experiences?

Also, what was your rank at your previous school vs CLS?

Any regrets about transferring?

I ask on behalf of a friend who is considering transferring to CLS.


its really difficult to compare b/c people at CLS try exponentially harder 1L year than 2L or 3L years, where people generally lose interest and stop reading/outlining or in many cases even attending class, and the curve is much gentler for 2Ls and 3Ls. Also CLS doesn't do class rank or GPAs. So if you put in the level of effort as an upperclassmen that you did to get the top grades you needed to transfer to Columbia, you'd immediately be one of the hardest working/most intense people in the class, and probably perform well. In other words, a transfer comparing to 1L levels is never really competing with anyone at CLS, to the extent anyone is really "competing" in the first place.


since cls doesnt do rank or gpa aside from stone, kent and first in class award is there anything that would show where in the class someone is?


Your transcript. But obviously that just gives a general idea, not a precise rank

StringerSoprano_6062
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:29 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby StringerSoprano_6062 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for taking these questions guys; you're really helping to allay some of my 1L anxieties. I'm 0L about to get started next month and have a few questions:

1) Do you have a sense of what your grades need to be in order to make Law Review? I know that your write-on and personal statement are also factors, but is there a general area you need to be around in order to have a good chance, assuming you do relatively well on your write-on?

2) What is the write-on experience like? I have heard it does not necessarily take the full 10 days. How long did folks spend on theirs (# of days and hrs per day)? And for someone who has marked/judged/graded (sorry, I am not familiar with law school vernacular quite yet) an applicants write-on, are there any to-dos and no-to-dos that you would feel comfortable sharing?

3) This may come across like a silly question, but how hard is it to get an A or A- in one of the foundational 1L courses? I understand that it depends on a number of variables (e.g. your professor, your classmates, etc.), but if you are outlining early, taking practice exams, and going to every class are you likely to get an A/A-? Or does it often occur that people do all the "right" things and still do not crack the A/A-? My only education exposure has been to college, and in college you generally just get out whatever you put in, but it seems like the equation is a bit more complex in law school.

4) I have often heard people say that after 1L, you just get how to do law school and that is a lot the reason why it gets easier. What are some of the things that you start to get in 2L and 3L that you don't understand coming in?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance to those who take the time to answer them!

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:26 pm

StringerSoprano_6062 wrote:Thanks for taking these questions guys; you're really helping to allay some of my 1L anxieties. I'm 0L about to get started next month and have a few questions:

1) Do you have a sense of what your grades need to be in order to make Law Review? I know that your write-on and personal statement are also factors, but is there a general area you need to be around in order to have a good chance, assuming you do relatively well on your write-on?

2) What is the write-on experience like? I have heard it does not necessarily take the full 10 days. How long did folks spend on theirs (# of days and hrs per day)? And for someone who has marked/judged/graded (sorry, I am not familiar with law school vernacular quite yet) an applicants write-on, are there any to-dos and no-to-dos that you would feel comfortable sharing?

3) This may come across like a silly question, but how hard is it to get an A or A- in one of the foundational 1L courses? I understand that it depends on a number of variables (e.g. your professor, your classmates, etc.), but if you are outlining early, taking practice exams, and going to every class are you likely to get an A/A-? Or does it often occur that people do all the "right" things and still do not crack the A/A-? My only education exposure has been to college, and in college you generally just get out whatever you put in, but it seems like the equation is a bit more complex in law school.

4) I have often heard people say that after 1L, you just get how to do law school and that is a lot the reason why it gets easier. What are some of the things that you start to get in 2L and 3L that you don't understand coming in?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance to those who take the time to answer them!


1) Probably someone on here who is on LR can better answer just how much things are factored in. Of the 45 they take every year, they say 15 are selected on write-on alone. LR also has a pretty big emphasis on diversity, students of color, lgbt, etc. So yeah grades matter, but no one is flat grading on.

2) I can't answer this, but I also think you're way ahead of the ball here. First just think about law school and once exams end in May you can get onto strategies for applying.

3) There's no answer to this question. You'll hear repeatedly that someone barely studied for one class and got an A in it, but one class that they spent days studying for ended up being a B+. You have people who make all their outlines from scratch and end up straight median, and then you have people who never made an outline and book most their classes. I don't think you'll discover any magic formula, and accepting that doing one small thing differently isn't going to chance the final outcome will help you a lot with dealing with exam stress. You're lucky with having only 3 classes in the fall and like 5 days between each exam so there's no need to cram.

pinkiepie
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby pinkiepie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:30 pm

StringerSoprano_6062 wrote:Thanks for taking these questions guys; you're really helping to allay some of my 1L anxieties. I'm 0L about to get started next month and have a few questions:

1) Do you have a sense of what your grades need to be in order to make Law Review? I know that your write-on and personal statement are also factors, but is there a general area you need to be around in order to have a good chance, assuming you do relatively well on your write-on?

2) What is the write-on experience like? I have heard it does not necessarily take the full 10 days. How long did folks spend on theirs (# of days and hrs per day)? And for someone who has marked/judged/graded (sorry, I am not familiar with law school vernacular quite yet) an applicants write-on, are there any to-dos and no-to-dos that you would feel comfortable sharing?

3) This may come across like a silly question, but how hard is it to get an A or A- in one of the foundational 1L courses? I understand that it depends on a number of variables (e.g. your professor, your classmates, etc.), but if you are outlining early, taking practice exams, and going to every class are you likely to get an A/A-? Or does it often occur that people do all the "right" things and still do not crack the A/A-? My only education exposure has been to college, and in college you generally just get out whatever you put in, but it seems like the equation is a bit more complex in law school.

4) I have often heard people say that after 1L, you just get how to do law school and that is a lot the reason why it gets easier. What are some of the things that you start to get in 2L and 3L that you don't understand coming in?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance to those who take the time to answer them!


It's way too early for you to be worrying about this. And no matter how smart you think you are, you probably won't make LR. That is to say, anyone coming in should expect <50% chance of making LR.

1) There are 45 spots per year, out of a class of about 400. That means a little more than 10% of the class gets in, so if it were all about grades that's over around a 3.6. But it's really not about grades; there have been people with Kent who didn't make LR, and there are people without Stone who do make it.

2) It's intense, but it's not necessarily that time-consuming. The most important thing is to be very organized, both in planning/time management and in the writing. Lots of headings helps.

3) A or A- is the top 25% of each class. Almost everyone in your class got to CLS by doing "all the right things" (internal quotation marks omitted). This is not college.

4) The most important thing you get after 1L is a job offer, which takes off all the pressure. But you also learn how to read/outline/study in a way that works for you.

User avatar
dabigchina
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:42 pm

StringerSoprano_6062 wrote:Thanks for taking these questions guys; you're really helping to allay some of my 1L anxieties. I'm 0L about to get started next month and have a few questions:

1) Do you have a sense of what your grades need to be in order to make Law Review? I know that your write-on and personal statement are also factors, but is there a general area you need to be around in order to have a good chance, assuming you do relatively well on your write-on?

2) What is the write-on experience like? I have heard it does not necessarily take the full 10 days. How long did folks spend on theirs (# of days and hrs per day)? And for someone who has marked/judged/graded (sorry, I am not familiar with law school vernacular quite yet) an applicants write-on, are there any to-dos and no-to-dos that you would feel comfortable sharing?

3) This may come across like a silly question, but how hard is it to get an A or A- in one of the foundational 1L courses? I understand that it depends on a number of variables (e.g. your professor, your classmates, etc.), but if you are outlining early, taking practice exams, and going to every class are you likely to get an A/A-? Or does it often occur that people do all the "right" things and still do not crack the A/A-? My only education exposure has been to college, and in college you generally just get out whatever you put in, but it seems like the equation is a bit more complex in law school.

4) I have often heard people say that after 1L, you just get how to do law school and that is a lot the reason why it gets easier. What are some of the things that you start to get in 2L and 3L that you don't understand coming in?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance to those who take the time to answer them!


Re: Law review. My impression is CLS's law review is one of the more competitive ones to get onto.

1. There is no grade on
2. The actual write on process is much much easier than most schools'. Most schools have packets that are 2-300 pages+. Our packet was a little over 100 and half of that was for the cite check.

My friends who made law review at other schools told me that a lot of people don't complete write on because it's such a slog. This is not the impression I get from talking to other people at CLS.

Again, just my 2 cents. I didn't make law review so I'm not the authority on this stuff.

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 pm

StringerSoprano_6062 wrote:Thanks for taking these questions guys; you're really helping to allay some of my 1L anxieties. I'm 0L about to get started next month and have a few questions:

1) Do you have a sense of what your grades need to be in order to make Law Review? I know that your write-on and personal statement are also factors, but is there a general area you need to be around in order to have a good chance, assuming you do relatively well on your write-on?

2) What is the write-on experience like? I have heard it does not necessarily take the full 10 days. How long did folks spend on theirs (# of days and hrs per day)? And for someone who has marked/judged/graded (sorry, I am not familiar with law school vernacular quite yet) an applicants write-on, are there any to-dos and no-to-dos that you would feel comfortable sharing?

3) This may come across like a silly question, but how hard is it to get an A or A- in one of the foundational 1L courses? I understand that it depends on a number of variables (e.g. your professor, your classmates, etc.), but if you are outlining early, taking practice exams, and going to every class are you likely to get an A/A-? Or does it often occur that people do all the "right" things and still do not crack the A/A-? My only education exposure has been to college, and in college you generally just get out whatever you put in, but it seems like the equation is a bit more complex in law school.

4) I have often heard people say that after 1L, you just get how to do law school and that is a lot the reason why it gets easier. What are some of the things that you start to get in 2L and 3L that you don't understand coming in?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance to those who take the time to answer them!


First off, chill. Seriously. Enjoy the rest of the summer. It's the last time you're going to be able to relax much until winter break, and even then you have to be applying for jobs for next summer.

Second, chill. I know it seems like a good idea to try to think about how to prepare for the "known quantities" like law review write-on rather than the unknown quantities like how to read for classes and study and outline and whatnot. I was doing the same thing at this time last year, though I was more focused on EIP. Believe me when I say there is nothing you can do right now to help you prepare or get ahead on any of it. (Some people will tell you to read Getting to Maybe over the summer, and I did and promptly forgot all of it and had no time to look at it again, but some people swear by it, so that's personal preference.)

1) As others have said, it's not a set formula. Being diverse helps, somewhat like law school admissions, but it's not a fixed bump by any means. Obviously being Kent really helps, but not all Kents make it. Just statistically, a decent percentage of people on law review are Stone, and some are even at median. The truth is, like with other closely guarded information, those who know about the process don't really talk, and those who talk don't really know.

2) They give you the 10 days because a lot of people are traveling, which was great for me since I had family commitments after finals. I ultimately spent about 4 full days on it, and can't imagine spending much more time than that. There's also a word count maximum on the written component (this year it was 3000, or about 10 pages double spaced) so you can't go insane and write 50 pages. The key seemed to be reading the problem and the materials enough times to make sure you really get it before you start writing, and then reading it again after you start writing to make sure you're on track. But again, did I mention that you should chill? You don't need to worry about this at all, whatsoever, until the weekend after your last final in May.

3) I mean it's not easy. But everyone learns, studies, and takes exams differently. In my experience, what the professors want to see is passable quality writing, spotting the issues raised by the problems, and discussing them for a few sentences before moving on. As you'll see if you read the guides across TLS, just spotting the issues and mentioning the relevant cases (if your professor likes that, which most do) is over half the battle. Law school exams are generally about showing breadth of knowledge, not depth. One thing to not forget though, and I've been telling people this a lot lately, is give the professor their own opinions back, or at least emphasize the things they emphasized. If your torts professor had particular ideas on reasonable alternative design, do not write down what the supplement said on that topic if it comes up on the exam. Write what your professor said. Law professors are (socially awkward) humans, and most are flattered and love when students repeat what they were taught. Do that.

Also, outlining early is not necessarily required, despite what some of the guides say. It depends on how you work. If you take really detailed notes on readings and class all semester, and save time before finals to go back and condense them then, that's great. If you don't write that much down at the time, and want to get things outlined earlier in the semester when it's fresh, that's also great, as long as you can review and remember it at the end. If you want to just use someone's old outline and add stuff, that's great too. Just do what seems to make sense to you -- that was one of my biggest issues last fall, trusting myself to know how my brain worked.

4) Mostly time management and knowing what to prioritize, between classes, student orgs, friends, sleep. You just develop more perspective on everything. It's not so different from college -- I'm sure you were a lot more confident and organized by junior year than you were as a freshman. 1L fall is kind of like freshman year, the spring is sophomore year, and then 2L is junior year. I mean I'm not a 2L yet so I can't say for sure, but my sense is that's mostly what people are talking about.

DC006
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:22 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby DC006 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:55 am

I'm thinking about taking a 2 week vacation abroad following the end of my first semester. Is that reasonable? I know winter break is the time to apply for summer internships/jobs. What other kind of law school related commitments did you all have during that time? Thanks

User avatar
maroon175
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby maroon175 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:10 am

DC006 wrote:I'm thinking about taking a 2 week vacation abroad following the end of my first semester. Is that reasonable? I know winter break is the time to apply for summer internships/jobs. What other kind of law school related commitments did you all have during that time? Thanks


Yeah, I pretty much spent 2 weeks vegging out / drinking after first semester 1L. If you squeeze in sometime earlier in the semester to research positions and write up a few cover letter drafts, then you should be okay. You'd be left with a solid week to send out applications. If you're applying to work with a judge at a district court or something, then you'd probably want to send out your application components on December 1st, well before winter break anyway.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest