Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LifeGoals

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby LifeGoals » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:11 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:anyone have any thoughts re: West 115th street housing buildings? seems like a really cool spot from what I can tell.

Tons of people live on the 400 block. They're old buildings with decent sized rooms. Nothing terribly remarkable about any of them, as far as I've heard, just close to the law school and very passable housing.

awesome, that's all i was hoping for

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Just pray you get roommates who believe in cleaning.

theconsigliere

Postby theconsigliere » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Just looking to confirm that exam software and whatnot is compatible with Windows 10 machines? Lady at the mall would not sell me a laptop without confirming this...

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:37 pm

theconsigliere wrote:Just looking to confirm that exam software and whatnot is compatible with Windows 10 machines? Lady at the mall would not sell me a laptop without confirming this...

Yeah

theconsigliere

Postby theconsigliere » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Nebby wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:Just looking to confirm that exam software and whatnot is compatible with Windows 10 machines? Lady at the mall would not sell me a laptop without confirming this...

Yeah

Thanks

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:55 pm

She was refusing to sell you a laptop, because she thought your exam software might not work on it?

theconsigliere

Postby theconsigliere » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 am

DCfilterDC wrote:

She was refusing to sell you a laptop, because she thought your exam software might not work on it?

She said "is there any special software you need installed on the computer?"

I said "yes"

She said "is it compatible with Windows 10?"

I said "I can't imagine it's not"

She said "I don't want to sell you this until you are 100% certain." And then she said some schools still are on Windows 8

Bach-City

Postby Bach-City » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:20 am

theconsigliere wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

She said "is there any special software you need installed on the computer?"

I said "yes"

She said "is it compatible with Windows 10?"

I said "I can't imagine it's not"

She said "I don't want to sell you this until you are 100% certain." And then she said some schools still are on Windows 8

That's kind of her to be concerned

SexualSalad

Postby SexualSalad » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:09 am

Law Review decisions are supposed to go out next week, according to their website, but is there any chance they come out sooner this week? Have they ever come out sooner in past years? Hoping to finalize the journal section of my resume before EIP bidding deadline.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:37 am

SexualSalad wrote:Law Review decisions are supposed to go out next week, according to their website, but is there any chance they come out sooner this week? Have they ever come out sooner in past years? Hoping to finalize the journal section of my resume before EIP bidding deadline.

The EIP bidding deadline was moved back to July 13. Decisions from what I understand should be out on Monday.

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:17 am

For people who transferred to CLS: did you see your grades come down from your 1L school?

Could you comment on the difference in competition between your 1L and 2L experiences?

Also, what was your previous school and what was your approximate rank there?

Any regrets about transferring?

I ask on behalf of a friend who is considering transferring to CLS.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:21 am

plurilingue wrote:For people who transferred to CLS: did you see your grades come down from your 1L school?

Could you comment on the difference in competition between your 1L and 2L experiences?

Also, what was your rank at your previous school vs CLS?

its really difficult to compare b/c people at CLS try exponentially harder 1L year than 2L or 3L years, where people generally lose interest and stop reading/outlining or in many cases even attending class, and the curve is much gentler for 2Ls and 3Ls. Also CLS doesn't do class rank or GPAs. So if you put in the level of effort as an upperclassmen that you did to get the top grades you needed to transfer to Columbia, you'd immediately be one of the hardest working/most intense people in the class, and probably perform well. In other words, a transfer comparing to 1L levels is never really competing with anyone at CLS, to the extent anyone is really "competing" in the first place.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:28 am

plurilingue wrote:For people who transferred to CLS: did you see your grades come down from your 1L school?

Also, what was your previous school and what was your approximate rank there?

My grades came down but not a lot. I went from top of my class 1L at a TT to roughly top 1/3 at CLS (there's no actually rank, just basing it on honors). I tried a lot less and put in about half the effort I did in 1L and still was happy with my performance. The nice thing about xfering is that you don't need tippy top grades to get good outcomes, so I enjoyed myself more.

No regrets

kingpin101

Postby kingpin101 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:52 pm

Just got selected as a moot court editor. Does anyone know if the credits are graded or P/F? Also, when do we receive our schedule for next fall?

playwright

Postby playwright » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Anyone know when we find out journal results?

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:39 pm

playwright wrote:Anyone know when we find out journal results?

Law Review decisions come out this week (the week of July 11th). I'd assume the rest will follow shortly after.

rustyburger2

Postby rustyburger2 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Anyone know how hard it is to fail at getting a journal? I basically applied to all of them, but didn't tailor my personal statement at all - I didn't even mention the journals name.

smaug

Postby smaug » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:01 pm

rustyburger2 wrote:Anyone know how hard it is to fail at getting a journal? I basically applied to all of them, but didn't tailor my personal statement at all - I didn't even mention the journals name.

You will be on a journal.

rustyburger2

Postby rustyburger2 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:08 pm

smaug wrote:
rustyburger2 wrote:Anyone know how hard it is to fail at getting a journal? I basically applied to all of them, but didn't tailor my personal statement at all - I didn't even mention the journals name.

So it's that hard? Care to elaborate on why a bit?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:11 pm

rustyburger2 wrote:
smaug wrote:

There are journals that circulate messages literally asking people to join in august because they couldn't fill out their staffers. You might not get your first or second choice journal but if you really want to be on a journal then one will take you as long as you apply.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:41 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rustyburger2 wrote:
smaug wrote:

There are journals that circulate messages literally asking people to join in august because they couldn't fill out their staffers. You might not get your first or second choice journal but if you really want to be on a journal then one will take you as long as you apply.

Yup, particularly the more niche journals. For example, CLS literally only has three or four people each year earnestly interested in environmental law and the journal--the rest of the people on the journal are just there for the resume boost

When I was picking rising 2Ls last year, I chose anyone who was willing to work on the journal regardless of whether they tailored their statement (obviously people who tailor their statement will get on the journal since no one would tailor their statement to a journal unless they actually wanted to be on it)

rustyburger2

Postby rustyburger2 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Nebby wrote:Yup, particularly the more niche journals. For example, CLS literally only has three or four people each year earnestly interested in environmental law and the journal--the rest of the people on the journal are just there for the resume boost

When I was picking rising 2Ls last year, I chose anyone who was willing to work on the journal regardless of whether they tailored their statement (obviously people who tailor their statement will get on the journal since no one would tailor their statement to a journal unless they actually wanted to be on it)

Awesome, that's good to hear. I guess I was just worried because I didn't even bother mentioning the journal name in my PS (I think I said something along the lines of, "and I view this journal as an opportunity to..." instead). Thought maybe that would be seen as complete disinterest.

Thanks for the feedback though guys, I might just have to snag a journal that doesn't fill up.

anonymous117

Postby anonymous117 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:15 pm

0L with a quick preparing-to-move-in question: I'm in UAH and trying to decide whether to get internet through the school or Time Warner. Any thoughts or preferences? Obviously, I've heard tons of Time Warner woes, but I just wanted to check and see if the university service is reliable and worth the slightly higher price.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:12 pm

anonymous117 wrote:0L with a quick preparing-to-move-in question: I'm in UAH and trying to decide whether to get internet through the school or Time Warner. Any thoughts or preferences? Obviously, I've heard tons of Time Warner woes, but I just wanted to check and see if the university service is reliable and worth the slightly higher price.

Not sure how much Time Warner is but I found the University internet to be super reliable. You have to get your own router, if that makes a difference to you. And they definitely monitor your activity for illegal downloading #ContributoryLiability

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:21 pm

ph5354a wrote:
anonymous117 wrote:0L with a quick preparing-to-move-in question: I'm in UAH and trying to decide whether to get internet through the school or Time Warner. Any thoughts or preferences? Obviously, I've heard tons of Time Warner woes, but I just wanted to check and see if the university service is reliable and worth the slightly higher price.

Not sure how much Time Warner is but I found the University internet to be super reliable. You have to get your own router, if that makes a difference to you. And they definitely monitor your activity for illegal downloading #ContributoryLiability

When I was in Lenfest 1L, I stole a neighbor's Wifi until that person got busted for downloading Game of Thrones. Literally got directed to a page showing an HBO complaint to Columbia.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”