Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nebby

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Not the worst faustian bargain

I don't think I used that correctly

smaug

Postby smaug » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
I fucking love your new profile picture.

I guess we're the same person now that we appear within the same film.

or does it mean that we're at war?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:50 pm

smaug wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I fucking love your new profile picture.

I guess we're the same person now that we appear within the same film.

or does it mean that we're at war?

<3

Biglawprettyplease

Postby Biglawprettyplease » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:06 am

Last edited by Biglawprettyplease on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:55 am

Biglawprettyplease wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
Biglawprettyplease wrote:Um...wasn't the deadline for grades June 15th?

Still haven't gotten my Corps grade...what gives? What do we do for OCI? Who ya gonna call?

I believe the deadline for classes with 150+ people is June 25, and if you had Jackson, his class falls into that category

So not to be a debbie downer, but I believe the 25th was yesterday...

I believe grades just have to be submitted to the registrar by the 25th. Your professor could have submitted them yesterday, but they won't be posted online until they have been processed (probably sometime Monday).

Burlington4174

Postby Burlington4174 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:38 am

A couple questions re: course selection.

1) Are there any courses that you really need to take before graduation? I know you have to take professional responsibility, and I have kind of gotten a sense that most people take corporations and evidence at some point.

2) Are there any courses that need to be taken by someone likely to be in the litigation department of a BigLaw firm? I am considering taking fed courts, the trial course, and admin law before graduating. I have also been told that it is good to take bankruptcy and tax but don't necessarily see why that is the case if I don't have any interest in working in any firm's bankruptcy or tax departments.

3) Is it recommended that you only take a so many lectures each semester? For example, would taking corporations, evidence, and fed courts in one semester just be way too much black letter? If so, what is the right balance of lectures and seminars, and for that matter, total credits per semester?

Basically, I have no idea what I should be taking over the next two years if I am interested in civil litigation and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Burlington4174 wrote:A couple questions re: course selection.

1) Are there any courses that you really need to take before graduation? I know you have to take professional responsibility, and I have kind of gotten a sense that most people take corporations and evidence at some point.

2) Are there any courses that need to be taken by someone likely to be in the litigation department of a BigLaw firm? I am considering taking fed courts, the trial course, and admin law before graduating. I have also been told that it is good to take bankruptcy and tax but don't necessarily see why that is the case if I don't have any interest in working in any firm's bankruptcy or tax departments.

3) Is it recommended that you only take a so many lectures each semester? For example, would taking corporations, evidence, and fed courts in one semester just be way too much black letter? If so, what is the right balance of lectures and seminars, and for that matter, total credits per semester?

Basically, I have no idea what I should be taking over the next two years if I am interested in civil litigation and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

I think you hit the classes most people recommend taking (there are no other classes you "need" to take, except writing credits I guess). Some people say admin can be substituted with another regulatory class, like environmental law. Idk about bankruptcy, but I would recommend Fed Inc Tax. I think tax helps teach you to apply basic finance and economics to the law. It's also a course on statutory interpretation (and I'm pretty sure Rasko pitches it that way to students at least). No idea on what recommended balance is on courseload, but those three sound like too much IMO, especially because they are three of the heavier black letter classes.

Curious to know what others think of balancing lectures with a 7 credit clinic. Two lectures or lecture/seminar?

Burlington4174

Postby Burlington4174 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:28 am

stoopkid13 wrote:
Burlington4174 wrote:A couple questions re: course selection.

Thanks!

I think you hit the classes most people recommend taking (there are no other classes you "need" to take, except writing credits I guess). Some people say admin can be substituted with another regulatory class, like environmental law. Idk about bankruptcy, but I would recommend Fed Inc Tax. I think tax helps teach you to apply basic finance and economics to the law. It's also a course on statutory interpretation (and I'm pretty sure Rasko pitches it that way to students at least). No idea on what recommended balance is on courseload, but those three sound like too much IMO, especially because they are three of the heavier black letter classes.

Curious to know what others think of balancing lectures with a 7 credit clinic. Two lectures or lecture/seminar?

Thank you. Two follow up questions for you or anyone else. Do journals or journal notes count towards credits? Also, where the same course has a 3 credit version and 4 credit version, is there any reason to take one over the other all other things being equal?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:20 am

Only executive board positions give credit on journals. You also get one credit of you publish a note.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:27 am

If you're talking about evidence, I think the more significant difference is Capra gives an open book, part multiple choice exam. Shearman gives a closed book exam. Shearman also seems to like cold calling. I think the profs are the bigger difference here.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Next time somebody starts talking about how great Jackson is and how much we're going to miss him, remind them that it's 8 weeks after the exam and we still don't have our grades yet. Even Moglen got his in weeks ago

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:53 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Next time somebody starts talking about how great Jackson is and how much we're going to miss him, remind them that it's 8 weeks after the exam and we still don't have our grades yet. Even Moglen got his in weeks ago

I was thinking the same thing. Like what the fuck.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:25 am

didn't he have like a 150 person section?

also c'mon guys, his love life is complicated.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:19 pm

The corps grades shenanigans are unacceptable. I think he's single handedly holding up honors calculations

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:14 am

LetsGoMets wrote:The corps grades shenanigans are unacceptable. I think he's single handedly holding up honors calculations

Not to mention he's putting a significant portion of the 1L class behind the eight-ball on pre-EIP mass mailing/clerkship apps

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:31 pm

if your other credentials are early bird clerkship/top firm eligible, go ahead and apply and send in the corps grade as soon as it comes.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:if your other credentials are early bird clerkship/top firm eligible, go ahead and apply and send in the corps grade as soon as it comes.

Debated that, but I didn't want to look like a fool by sending an updated transcript like a day later. Probably should have done it two weeks ago, but I figured there was no way he would be much longer. I was clearly wrong

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:56 pm

jbagelboy wrote:if your other credentials are early bird clerkship/top firm eligible, go ahead and apply and send in the corps grade as soon as it comes.

Debated that, but I didn't want to look like a fool by sending an updated transcript like a day later. Probably should have done it two weeks ago, but I figured there was no way he would be much longer. I was clearly wrong

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:39 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:The corps grades shenanigans are unacceptable. I think he's single handedly holding up honors calculations

Not to mention he's putting a significant portion of the 1L class behind the eight-ball on pre-EIP mass mailing/clerkship apps

I'm not a 1L, so I don't care as much but I'd be so pissed if I was a 1L waiting on grades/honors determination because of Corps. So ridiculous.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:49 am

almondjoy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:

I'm not a 1L, so I don't care as much but I'd be so pissed if I was a 1L waiting on grades/honors determination because of Corps. So ridiculous.

If it doesn't happen tomorrow, lord knows when it will with the holiday weekend.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:49 pm

And within hours of Jackson FINALLY posting Corps grades, we have honors.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:38 am

LetsGoMets wrote:And within hours of Jackson FINALLY posting Corps grades, we have honors.

Really? No honors posted for me yet.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:17 pm

almondjoy wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:And within hours of Jackson FINALLY posting Corps grades, we have honors.

Really? No honors posted for me yet.

They sent an e-mail to c/o 2018 saying honors are up. They're probably still doing the calculations for 2017

LifeGoals

Postby LifeGoals » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:43 pm

anyone have any thoughts re: West 115th street housing buildings? seems like a really cool spot from what I can tell.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:03 pm

LifeGoals wrote:anyone have any thoughts re: West 115th street housing buildings? seems like a really cool spot from what I can tell.

Tons of people live on the 400 block. They're old buildings with decent sized rooms. Nothing terribly remarkable about any of them, as far as I've heard, just close to the law school and very passable housing.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”