Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9641
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:28 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lnick93 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?


Seconding this question.


Why on earth would you want to take Fed Courts as a 2L, unless you're a masochist?


I'm honestly split on this. On the one hand I really don't want to overload myself this semester with leadership spots on two (relatively low-impact) student orgs, a likely note, and research for a professor. On the other hand I didn't actually feel 4 exams this spring was THAT bad (I mean I never want to do it again, but I felt like I got in a good rhythm and wasn't tearing my hair out). So maybe I'm a masochist gunner?


The problem with fed cts as a 2L is that you'll probably want to take corporations in the fall, and you can't take corporations w fed cts.

Then again since jackson and judge are both off this fall, I could see corps spring 2L w/ evidence, and fed cts in the fall w fed tax or something, and admin 3L fall. But honestly it just makes a LOT more sense to do fed cts 3L and corps, evidence, fed cts, and admin 2L (admin in the spring)

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby LetsGoMets » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lnick93 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?


Seconding this question.


Why on earth would you want to take Fed Courts as a 2L, unless you're a masochist?


I'm honestly split on this. On the one hand I really don't want to overload myself this semester with leadership spots on two (relatively low-impact) student orgs, a likely note, and research for a professor. On the other hand I didn't actually feel 4 exams this spring was THAT bad (I mean I never want to do it again, but I felt like I got in a good rhythm and wasn't tearing my hair out). So maybe I'm a masochist gunner?


The problem with fed cts as a 2L is that you'll probably want to take corporations in the fall, and you can't take corporations w fed cts.

Then again since jackson and judge are both off this fall, I could see corps spring 2L w/ evidence, and fed cts in the fall w fed tax or something, and admin 3L fall. But honestly it just makes a LOT more sense to do fed cts 3L and corps, evidence, fed cts, and admin 2L (admin in the spring)


Is there anything wrong with taking corps 3L?

ETA: What's the minimum number of credits, 12 or 13?

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21933
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:38 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lnick93 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?


Seconding this question.


Why on earth would you want to take Fed Courts as a 2L, unless you're a masochist?


I'm honestly split on this. On the one hand I really don't want to overload myself this semester with leadership spots on two (relatively low-impact) student orgs, a likely note, and research for a professor. On the other hand I didn't actually feel 4 exams this spring was THAT bad (I mean I never want to do it again, but I felt like I got in a good rhythm and wasn't tearing my hair out). So maybe I'm a masochist gunner?


The problem with fed cts as a 2L is that you'll probably want to take corporations in the fall, and you can't take corporations w fed cts.

Then again since jackson and judge are both off this fall, I could see corps spring 2L w/ evidence, and fed cts in the fall w fed tax or something, and admin 3L fall. But honestly it just makes a LOT more sense to do fed cts 3L and corps, evidence, fed cts, and admin 2L (admin in the spring)


Is there anything wrong with taking corps 3L?

ETA: What's the minimum number of credits, 12 or 13?

12

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:47 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Is there anything wrong with taking corps 3L?

I think it's a prereq for Securities Regulation (and maybe some other corp stuff) but otherwise no issue with waiting.

User avatar
dabigchina
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:40 am

3 questions regarding course selections:

1. How important is it to take admin, evidence, or criminal adjudication if I never want to clerk or litigate? I especially don't want to take admin.
2. Trying to take corp finance but the system won't let me register without taking corps first. The class description seems to suggest that corp is not a strict requirement if you have a decent business background. Do I wait for the semester to roll around to talk to the professor or do I email him now and have him take the hold off?
3. How hard is bankruptcy without taking corp? Is it suicide to take it concurrent with corp?

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21933
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:18 am

dabigchina wrote:3 questions regarding course selections:

1. How important is it to take admin, evidence, or criminal adjudication if I never want to clerk or litigate? I especially don't want to take admin.
2. Trying to take corp finance but the system won't let me register without taking corps first. The class description seems to suggest that corp is not a strict requirement if you have a decent business background. Do I wait for the semester to roll around to talk to the professor or do I email him now and have him take the hold off?
3. How hard is bankruptcy without taking corp? Is it suicide to take it concurrent with corp?

1. Important.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:52 am

LetsGoMets wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lnick93 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?


Seconding this question.


Why on earth would you want to take Fed Courts as a 2L, unless you're a masochist?


I'm honestly split on this. On the one hand I really don't want to overload myself this semester with leadership spots on two (relatively low-impact) student orgs, a likely note, and research for a professor. On the other hand I didn't actually feel 4 exams this spring was THAT bad (I mean I never want to do it again, but I felt like I got in a good rhythm and wasn't tearing my hair out). So maybe I'm a masochist gunner?


You're doing 2L wrong.

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8511
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby MCFC » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:51 am

dabigchina wrote:3. How hard is bankruptcy without taking corp? Is it suicide to take it concurrent with corp?

I just took Bankruptcy this Spring, and Morrison was really serious (sometimes to an annoying degree) about not assuming outside knowledge. So I'd imagine you would be okay, though I can't offer personal experiences because I had taken corps beforehand.

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12613
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby smaug » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:56 am

Nebby wrote:
dabigchina wrote:3 questions regarding course selections:

1. How important is it to take admin, evidence, or criminal adjudication if I never want to clerk or litigate? I especially don't want to take admin.
2. Trying to take corp finance but the system won't let me register without taking corps first. The class description seems to suggest that corp is not a strict requirement if you have a decent business background. Do I wait for the semester to roll around to talk to the professor or do I email him now and have him take the hold off?
3. How hard is bankruptcy without taking corp? Is it suicide to take it concurrent with corp?

1. Important.

No. Classes don't matter.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21933
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:50 am

smaug wrote:
Nebby wrote:
dabigchina wrote:3 questions regarding course selections:

1. How important is it to take admin, evidence, or criminal adjudication if I never want to clerk or litigate? I especially don't want to take admin.
2. Trying to take corp finance but the system won't let me register without taking corps first. The class description seems to suggest that corp is not a strict requirement if you have a decent business background. Do I wait for the semester to roll around to talk to the professor or do I email him now and have him take the hold off?
3. How hard is bankruptcy without taking corp? Is it suicide to take it concurrent with corp?

1. Important.

No. Classes don't matter.

Should take them anyway

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12613
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby smaug » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:18 am

That's dumb. Take courses that interest you, not ones that people say you should take.

The only class I'd say someone *should* take is negotiations.

Just have a bullshit answer ready for EIP that you registered for Corps but don't know if you'll get in yet or something

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9641
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:23 am

I actually do think ppl should take evidence b/c its a pretty annoyingly big part of the bar, its really helpful to have background knowledge of bar subjects when you get to them, and having to learn all of evidence from scatch would be a giant time suck. I mean almost everyone at CLS has to learn crim pro from scratch but thats less material and a smaller part.

But besides that I effectively agree with smaug that you should feel free to take whatever you want and there really are not required classes: its not a fake out.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21933
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:25 am

Half a d court caseload is crim, so adjudication is nice to have. You get admin cases in d court, such as challenging permit denials. Obviously evidence is useful. None are necessary, but they're helpful

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:26 am

Nebby wrote:Half a d court caseload is crim, so adjudication is nice to have. You get admin cases in d court, such as challenging permit denials. Obviously evidence is useful. None are necessary, but they're helpful

What's d court? OP said he doesn't want to litigate so I don't see the need for any of that stuff.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9641
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:27 am

Nebby wrote:Half a d court caseload is crim, so adjudication is nice to have. You get admin cases in d court, such as challenging permit denials. Obviously evidence is useful. None are necessary, but they're helpful


You're talking about what its nice to have for a district court clerkship, which like 80% of columbia students don't care about. I didn't realize we were talking specifically about classes to take for a clerkship, in which case yea there's certainly recommended coursework.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21933
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:33 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Nebby wrote:Half a d court caseload is crim, so adjudication is nice to have. You get admin cases in d court, such as challenging permit denials. Obviously evidence is useful. None are necessary, but they're helpful

What's d court? OP said he doesn't want to litigate so I don't see the need for any of that stuff.

Dick court

But I just realized China said they didn't want to clerk. Ignore my advice. But still take evidence and admin. Don't waste away your life in law and___ classes. I'm in the minority in this subject tho. I only took BLL classes

User avatar
lnick93
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby lnick93 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:44 am

jbagelboy wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lnick93 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?


Seconding this question.


Why on earth would you want to take Fed Courts as a 2L, unless you're a masochist?


I'm honestly split on this. On the one hand I really don't want to overload myself this semester with leadership spots on two (relatively low-impact) student orgs, a likely note, and research for a professor. On the other hand I didn't actually feel 4 exams this spring was THAT bad (I mean I never want to do it again, but I felt like I got in a good rhythm and wasn't tearing my hair out). So maybe I'm a masochist gunner?


The problem with fed cts as a 2L is that you'll probably want to take corporations in the fall, and you can't take corporations w fed cts.

Then again since jackson and judge are both off this fall, I could see corps spring 2L w/ evidence, and fed cts in the fall w fed tax or something, and admin 3L fall. But honestly it just makes a LOT more sense to do fed cts 3L and corps, evidence, fed cts, and admin 2L (admin in the spring)


Okay, but actually I would like to know the answer to this question.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21933
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:45 am

lnick93 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lnick93 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?


Seconding this question.


Why on earth would you want to take Fed Courts as a 2L, unless you're a masochist?


I'm honestly split on this. On the one hand I really don't want to overload myself this semester with leadership spots on two (relatively low-impact) student orgs, a likely note, and research for a professor. On the other hand I didn't actually feel 4 exams this spring was THAT bad (I mean I never want to do it again, but I felt like I got in a good rhythm and wasn't tearing my hair out). So maybe I'm a masochist gunner?


The problem with fed cts as a 2L is that you'll probably want to take corporations in the fall, and you can't take corporations w fed cts.

Then again since jackson and judge are both off this fall, I could see corps spring 2L w/ evidence, and fed cts in the fall w fed tax or something, and admin 3L fall. But honestly it just makes a LOT more sense to do fed cts 3L and corps, evidence, fed cts, and admin 2L (admin in the spring)


Okay, but actually I would like to know the answer to this question.

Bid number 1

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:45 am

Who's the best for admin, and who should be avoided?

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21933
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 am

DCfilterDC wrote:Who's the best for admin, and who should be avoided?

JBP is the only person you should take it with

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:52 am

Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Who's the best for admin, and who should be avoided?

JBP is the only person you should take it with


What's that stand for?

Merrill or Kessler any good?

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21933
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:54 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Who's the best for admin, and who should be avoided?

JBP is the only person you should take it with


What's that stand for?

Merrill or Kessler any good?

Jessica Bulman-Pozen

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12613
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby smaug » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:00 am

DCfilterDC wrote:Who's the best for admin, and who should be avoided?

Is JBP still around? Take JBP


And Nebby, I did almost exclusively BLL but it was kinda dumb. Law school classes in general are a joke. Path of least resistance gets my vote.

(Trial Practice and some similar classes were fun tho)

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:06 am

BLL can sometimes be the path of least resistance. As I've said before I took both Shechtman classes and they were super chill but even JBP's admin was pretty easy. Only on call once every four days, not all that much reading even on those days and a full four credits. It's easier to hide out in those big classes so if that's what you want BLL can be the way to go. But obviously you need to tread carefully.

User avatar
dabigchina
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks guys. Schectman isn't teaching until next semester anyway so I'm going to kick that can down the road.

Did any of you guys take Corp/any other class with Goshen? The other corp professor teaching this semester had bad evals.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests