Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nebby

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:50 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
john_brown wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:Unrelated -- course list is out for next semester. Any recommendations on what to take 2L Fall vs. later? My priorities to eventually get to are Evidence, Corps, Admin, and FedCourts. Thinking about getting Evidence and Corps out of the way this fall if possible, and wait on Admin for the Spring, along with a seminar, and then FedCourts in 3L. Beyond those, does anything else matter?

I strongly recommend Paul Shechtman for Evidence. Easily my favorite class at Columbia.

He's teaching adjudication and not evidence in the fall which sucks

CLS alum/former judicial clerk here. Never had him for evidence, but based on what I saw when clerking he's easily one of the best litigators in the city right now, both in written briefs and at oral argument.

weird post lul

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:40 pm

How is 3 hour one night a week class though? I feel like I'd get ground down fast being in JG for that many hours a day, especially on a Monday

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:39 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:How is 3 hour one night a week class though? I feel like I'd get ground down fast being in JG for that many hours a day, especially on a Monday

I took Shechtman both semesters and loved it but I didn't take any other Monday classes.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:45 pm

I took PR 3 hours one night a week, but not really because I only went to two classes

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:19 am

Highly recommend Shechtman too. The Monday night block is manageable: he usually ends early, schedules a break, and no cold calling means you can check out if you need to. He also records all classes which is clutch. If you can't take Evidence with Shecht, I firmly believe Capra is the next best thing.

I would get at least 4-5 BLL courses (Evid., Corps, Admin, Crim. Investigations/Adjudication, maybe Tax or an IP course, etc.) out of the way during 2L, when you still have that 1L gun. Everything feels ten times more onerous 3L

smaug

Postby smaug » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:12 pm

ph5354a wrote:Highly recommend Shechtman too. The Monday night block is manageable: he usually ends early, schedules a break, and no cold calling means you can check out if you need to. He also records all classes which is clutch. If you can't take Evidence with Shecht, I firmly believe Capra is the next best thing.

I would get at least 4-5 BLL courses (Evid., Corps, Admin, Crim. Investigations/Adjudication, maybe Tax or an IP course, etc.) out of the way during 2L, when you still have that 1L gun. Everything feels ten times more onerous 3L

I agree with this evidence ranking. Not a Richman fan

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:48 pm

I like Richman, but his exam is brutal and I don't think the class does a very good job of preparing you for it.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Richman not teaching Evidence this year -- options in the fall are Capra and a visiting professor from Michigan, Sherman Clark, who's pretty well reviewed there: http://www.lawprofguide.com/sherman-clark.php, and Schechtman in the spring.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:29 pm

White Dwarf wrote:I like Richman, but his exam is brutal and I don't think the class does a very good job of preparing you for it.

Truth

janwlee

Postby janwlee » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:03 am

Would it be a crazy idea to take the following as a 2L:

Fall:

Corporations (Goshen)
Fed Tax (D'Avino)
Evidence (Clark--a visiting prof from U Michigan. Seems chill)
Democracy & Distribution (Graetz)(3 cr seminar)

Spring:

Mediation Clinic (hopefully)
Corporate tax (Stone)
some other 4 cr class or 2 seminars.

14 credits with 3 BLL seems a bit daunting, on top of writing a note for journal (might not get around to it though).

Is this suicidal? I just don't wanna have to take 14 credit semesters in 3L.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:06 am

janwlee wrote:Would it be a crazy idea to take the following as a 2L:

Fall:

Corporations (Goshen)
Fed Tax (D'Avino)
Evidence (Clark--a visiting prof from U Michigan. Seems chill)
Democracy & Distribution (Graetz)(3 cr seminar)

Spring:

Mediation Clinic (hopefully)
Corporate tax (Stone)
some other 4 cr class or 2 seminars.

14 credits with 3 BLL seems a bit daunting, on top of writing a note for journal (might not get around to it though).

Is this suicidal? I just don't wanna have to take 14 credit semesters in 3L.

The fall looks rough. Take evidence in the spring

doctorjuris

Postby doctorjuris » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi All, 3 questions about course selection:

1) Anyone know why Goshen's corporations section meets for over half an hour longer than the other two sections? Is he worth that extra class time? (Other professor is Katharina Pistor and a visiting prof).

2) If anyone has taken corporate finance, is it okay to take if i have virtually no finance background whatsoever other than intro-level economics course? Or do I need to wait till after corporations before I should take it. Thinking of taking it with Merrit Fox, if that helps.

3) Just to confirm, if we're not interested in doing litigation then we don't really need to take evidence right?

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:56 am

For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:16 pm

I can't find an official law school GPA calculation page for purposes of honors. Is an A+ a 4 or a 4.33? This page for all of CU says 4.33

http://registrar.columbia.edu/content/g ... nt-average

But I remember students saying an A+ is just pretty it doesn't bring anything more with it

John_Luther1989

Postby John_Luther1989 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:40 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:I can't find an official law school GPA calculation page for purposes of honors. Is an A+ a 4 or a 4.33? This page for all of CU says 4.33

But I remember students saying an A+ is just pretty it doesn't bring anything more with it

A+ in the law school is 4.0. The "+" is just a special badge of honor.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Damn who are all you people with A+'s? And here I thought getting an A was pretty good.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:46 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:I can't find an official law school GPA calculation page for purposes of honors. Is an A+ a 4 or a 4.33? This page for all of CU says 4.33

Cool, that's what I figured. Any idea when they announce awards?

smaug

Postby smaug » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:51 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
John_Luther1989 wrote:

It takes a bit but before EIP you should get the best in class thing on your transcript or whatever

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:57 pm

smaug wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
John_Luther1989 wrote:

It takes a bit but before EIP you should get the best in class thing on your transcript or whatever

And they don't do Stone/Kent calculations until before mid-July also, right?

My favorite thing is that OCS "locks" your resume on Symplicity on July 8, before you hear about journals, honors, etc., so you have to bring an updated version to screeners anyway.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Congrats you bum

lnick93

Postby lnick93 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:01 am

GoneSouth wrote:For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?

Seconding this question.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:11 am

lnick93 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:For a popular, but large, class like Fed Courts with Metzger, do you have to bid it #1 as a 2L to get in, or can you get away with putting it lower?

Seconding this question.

Why on earth would you want to take Fed Courts as a 2L, unless you're a masochist?

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Does anyone know when the theoretical deadline to submit grades is? Would love to get that last one so I can start sending stuff out

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:11 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Does anyone know when the theoretical deadline to submit grades is? Would love to get that last one so I can start sending stuff out

Theoretically it was the 15th for classes of less than 150 students, the 25th for classes of more than 150 students. In practice there are no deadlines...

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:06 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lnick93 wrote:

Seconding this question.

Why on earth would you want to take Fed Courts as a 2L, unless you're a masochist?

I'm honestly split on this. On the one hand I really don't want to overload myself this semester with leadership spots on two (relatively low-impact) student orgs, a likely note, and research for a professor. On the other hand I didn't actually feel 4 exams this spring was THAT bad (I mean I never want to do it again, but I felt like I got in a good rhythm and wasn't tearing my hair out). So maybe I'm a masochist gunner?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”