Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
peetie_ph

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby peetie_ph » Sun May 15, 2016 7:25 pm

almondjoy wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:On that note, fuck the new dean, fuck kobrin, double fuck petal modeste and ocs, fuck chapnick and sji and her self-righteous bullshit, fuck kraus and all the other shrimp dick morally bankrupt unavailable professors, fuck schnepf and the housing office, fuck Bollinger, and god bless the people like Suzanne Goldberg and Bradford and Jackson and Lynch that keep the whole machine moving against all odds of this godawful incompetence.

The good guys are down one with Jackson leaving.

Wait what, Jackson's leaving?

peetie_ph

Postby peetie_ph » Sun May 15, 2016 7:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Burlington4174 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
smaug wrote:damn, lots of MGK hate

*pours one out* #OMGK

I'm pretty confused by it. I thought she was universally liked..?

I don't think people dislike her. Those few times I have heard her speak, she has seemed friendly, if not a great public speaker. But she just does not do anything that is particularly noteworthy for a large percentage students on a regular basis, so there is no real reason for most of us to care.

Maybe she does stuff behind the scenes, and we will all miss her when she is gone - I really have no idea. But unless you are in like Student Senate, the kind of person who likes to cozy up to administrators, or have some legit reason to speak with the Dean (so like 10-20% of the school), then you don't know her and she does not know you.

Kobrin has her pet projects and favorite students, and basically ignored everyone else. I'm not shedding any tears at her departure. She likes the positive attention she received from law revue/student senate and shafted the student organizations that actually needed her support. She also did a pretty mediocre/shitty job of addressing individual student concerns and largely delegated to inept administrators.

Then again, the new dean is taking a lot of shit for taking resources away from students & faculty and pouring money into sinkholes like "SJI". So whatever. I don't know whether MGK was fired or left due to the incompetence of the new dean's administration, regardless the school is corroding from the inside and needs a fucking wake up call. thank god we out this bitch tho

And I haven't much about Lester's tenure. What's she doing that's so incompetent?

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon May 16, 2016 5:37 pm

peetie_ph wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:On that note, fuck the new dean, fuck kobrin, double fuck petal modeste and ocs, fuck chapnick and sji and her self-righteous bullshit, fuck kraus and all the other shrimp dick morally bankrupt unavailable professors, fuck schnepf and the housing office, fuck Bollinger, and god bless the people like Suzanne Goldberg and Bradford and Jackson and Lynch that keep the whole machine moving against all odds of this godawful incompetence.

The good guys are down one with Jackson leaving.

Wait what, Jackson's leaving?

He's on sabbatical in the fall, but he's gonna be teaching at NYU, and story is that Morrison wants him to stay, and that he's most likely going to.

playwright

Postby playwright » Tue May 17, 2016 6:38 pm

kingpin101 wrote:Damn is this writing competition worth it? Just looking at the packet makes me want to run away outside.

Echoing the above question.
Does submitting the writing competition make a difference for journals that also accept LPW moot court briefs?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 pm

playwright wrote:
kingpin101 wrote:Damn is this writing competition worth it? Just looking at the packet makes me want to run away outside.

Echoing the above question.
Does submitting the writing competition make a difference for journals that also accept LPW moot court briefs?

The general gist is that some journals like CBLR and JTL give a distinct preference to the write-on over a moot court brief, and so since those have some degree of selectivity (they have the flexibility to turn some people away) if you're interested in those I would suck it up and do it. For some of the other journals that don't fill up and will take people who want to be on a journal late into the summer it might matter less. I would say if you didn't early apply to a journal, I'd do the write on and see what happens since the process is highly, highly idiosyncratic and you never know who will get on law review.

smaug

Postby smaug » Tue May 17, 2016 8:03 pm

do write on for the shot at CLR

for rest, the idea of a selective journal other than CLR is laughable and silly. nobody cares outside of CLS and few care within CLS. the "prestigious" secondaries have changed over time. choose something that isn't a lot of work and overlaps with an interest or helps you sell yourself in some way.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue May 17, 2016 8:57 pm

smaug wrote:do write on for the shot at CLR

for rest, the idea of a selective journal other than CLR is laughable and silly. nobody cares outside of CLS and few care within CLS. the "prestigious" secondaries have changed over time. choose something that isn't a lot of work and overlaps with an interest or helps you sell yourself in some way.

I did 20 hours of work in total on my journal because my EIC was chill and liked me.

But you're talking to law students, who would clean skid marks out of hobo underwear if you convinced them it was "prestigious."

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

I did 20 hours of work in total on my journal because my EIC was chill and liked me.

But you're talking to law students, who would clean skid marks out of hobo underwear if you convinced them it was "prestigious."

As a 2L or 3L? I think as a 2L staffer I probably only did 20 hours of source pulling and cite checking. CJEL is chill af

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Yea 100% but saying "I don't care about LR so I'll use the moot court brief" isn't really the correct response to that basic truth

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed May 18, 2016 10:04 am

Nebby wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

As a 2L or 3L? I think as a 2L staffer I probably only did 20 hours of source pulling and cite checking. CJEL is chill af

This was as a 2L. I didn't know that if I didn't apply to be an editor as a 3L, I would no longer be considered a staffer. An unexpected reward for my non-striving.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed May 18, 2016 10:26 pm

If you feel like your grades are good enough that you don't need LR for good firms, the don't bother. Join a chill journal (like European law). If you're grades are shitty go ahead and try to write on. Writing on saved some people I know and helped them land v5s with below median.

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed May 18, 2016 10:37 pm

TheoO wrote:If you feel like your grades are good enough that you don't need LR for good firms, the don't bother. Join a chill journal (like European law). If you're grades are shitty go ahead and try to write on. Writing on saved some people I know and helped them land v5s with below median.

this is dumb

if you have good grades you should still try for LR. it'll be on your bio forever. it's dumb, but it matters.

playwright

Postby playwright » Thu May 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Another question about the journal application process.
Is the statement of interest for each journal supposed to sound like a cover letter, or more like a personal statement in your law school application?
The journal handbook doesn't really explain what each journal wants in the statement of interest.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Thu May 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Anyone been a moot court editor for standard 1L LPW? Thoughts on whether it's something worth doing?

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Does it look weird if we don't do any journal at all? Does that raise red flags for employers?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Thu May 19, 2016 11:57 pm

dabigchina wrote:Does it look weird if we don't do any journal at all? Does that raise red flags for employers?

Yes, unless youre stone or something. You should get a journal. If you're not stone this will just make you look lazy.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri May 20, 2016 12:01 am

TheoO wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Does it look weird if we don't do any journal at all? Does that raise red flags for employers?

Yes, unless youre stone or something. You should get a journal. If you're not stone this will just make you look lazy.

What if we want to do Stone Moot Court, still do a journal?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri May 20, 2016 12:14 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
TheoO wrote:

What if we want to do Stone Moot Court, still do a journal?

I dunno, to be honest. My rule of thumb would be that unless your grades stand out, you should still do a journal. They are honestly not that much work. This shouldn't be that big of an issue.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Fri May 20, 2016 1:23 am

TheoO wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=264204

People are saying journals are pretty whatevers. Is this like a weird CLS thing that employers look for?

Also, Stone as in honors or Stone as in the moot court?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri May 20, 2016 1:31 am

Stone as in honors but like 80% of CLS people do a journal so it's not a great look not to have one, especially if the resume is otherwise a little light.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri May 20, 2016 11:26 am

dabigchina wrote:
TheoO wrote:

People are saying journals are pretty whatevers. Is this like a weird CLS thing that employers look for?

If your grades are top 5%, then yea if you really don't want to, you can probably do fine without a journal. But still, again, it's not that much work that you should have this discussion. Outside of law review, you can half ass journal work and do like 20 hours for the year.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Fri May 20, 2016 3:13 pm

TheoO wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
TheoO wrote:

If your grades are top 5%, then yea if you really don't want to, you can probably do fine without a journal. But still, again, it's not that much work that you should have this discussion. Outside of law review, you can half ass journal work and do like 20 hours for the year.

Any tips on the easiest/most halfass-able journals?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri May 20, 2016 4:48 pm

dabigchina wrote:
TheoO wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
TheoO wrote:

Any tips on the easiest/most halfass-able journals?

European, art. Whatever isn't cblr and jtl. That said, you may be asked about the journal at eip, so craft some reason for it.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri May 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Tax was super easy

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Fri May 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Tax was super easy

Nice this fits almost perfectly. How many hours total would you say it was?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”