Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bhan87

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby bhan87 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 pm

MTH2 wrote:Where's the nicest area to live in the Columbia area closest to the law school? Price not being an issue.

It might depend on your definition of nice, but Lenfest is NIIIIIICE. It's a 5 minute walk from the school though (on 121st). If you're looking for affordable luxury studios, Lenfest might be your best bet.

The non-named UAH apartments generally look alike. Adequate, but a bit dated.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:38 pm

MTH2 wrote:Where's the nicest area to live in the Columbia area closest to the law school? Price not being an issue.

if price is no issue then columbus square is a luxury apt. building on 96th with a whole foods, home goods, sephora below. and it has a salt water pool. but it's super expensive, as luxury apartments tend to be.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:19 pm

bazinga! wrote:

if price is no issue then columbus square is a luxury apt. building on 96th with a whole foods, home goods, sephora below. and it has a salt water pool. but it's super expensive, as luxury apartments tend to be.

About $1000 cheaper are the Archstone buildings 1 and 2 blocks south. These are all about a mile walk to school, though.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:25 pm

viking138 wrote:
bazinga! wrote:

About $1000 cheaper are the Archstone buildings 1 and 2 blocks south. These are all about a mile walk to school, though.

this is all true. but a pool. a POOL!

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

bazinga! wrote:
viking138 wrote:
bazinga! wrote:

wait. not all true. like $100-200 more a month, not $1000.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 am

bazinga! wrote:
bazinga! wrote:
viking138 wrote:
bazinga! wrote:

wait. not all true. like $100-200 more a month, not $1000.

Sorry, I was comparing 1 bedrooms, which seemed to be in the $3600-4000 range which is $1000 more than the Westmont was in February. But looks like it's a lot closer to Columbus Square pricing now...

trbrny

Postby trbrny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey, I just got accepted as a trasnfer to Columbia. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on courses/professors to take and how to navigate the bidding process cor courses.

roserdozer

Postby roserdozer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:40 am

Oh wise ones!
I was just admitted to c/o 2015 a few days ago and just got an email from housing that I'm on the waitlist... In fact, I'm "New Male 657."
What are the chances I'll get something? Should I start looking off campus? The website specifically says that housing is not guaranteed for those on the waitlist and that they work through the list until early October.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 am

to the transfer: I believe transfers do quite well at EIP so you should have a good mix of selective firms with large classes and a handful of less selective firms as well. But in general I do not believe that you have to be too conservative. as for professors and classes, definitely read the course evals. I have found that for the most part, they are consistent, meaning the majority of people either really like it or don't. You should also rank 2L "bar" courses (corps, tax etc.) higher as I think they fill up.

to the waitlist: you should start looking off campus. I have heard bad things about the waitlist. You never know but explore your options.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Thoughts on having a bike? Is it going to be useful or just sit in my apartment and gather dust?

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Take Two wrote:Thoughts on having a bike? Is it going to be useful or just sit in my apartment and gather dust?

If you're someone who enjoys biking for fun, then bring it. Plenty of people I know biked their 1L year. However, I would not personally recommend biking around the city. People do, but it's quite dangerous, and I know someone who was hit by a car while biking (they were fine but pretty scraped up for a few weeks).

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Take Two wrote:Thoughts on having a bike? Is it going to be useful or just sit in my apartment and gather dust?

biking in riverside park is both safe and excellent.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Can we bike together!? I'm no expert but as a bridge and tunneler thus far, I think biking around NYC would be a phenomenal way to explore the city.

Also, biking or not, we're starting a Modern Family watching party. 1L sounds stressful, might as well laugh. :)

theaether

Postby theaether » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:28 pm

do law students get access to the UG gym for free? is there more than 1 weight room on campus?

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:59 am

theaether wrote:do law students get access to the UG gym for free? is there more than 1 weight room on campus?

Law students get complete access to the Dodge Fitness Center. As far as I know, this is the only weight room on campus.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 am

jetissent wrote:

Can we bike together!? I'm no expert but as a bridge and tunneler thus far, I think biking around NYC would be a phenomenal way to explore the city.

Also, biking or not, we're starting a Modern Family watching party. 1L sounds stressful, might as well laugh. :)

I like the way you think jet! Haha

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:58 pm

So whats the skinny on the lockers? Is it a good idea to have one?

viking138

Postby viking138 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Take Two wrote:So whats the skinny on the lockers? Is it a good idea to have one?

Yes, you want one. Lawbooks are heavy and you don't want to carry all of your books along with you all the time, so unless you live across the street, you'll want a locker.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:16 am

Take Two wrote:So whats the skinny on the lockers? Is it a good idea to have one?

absolutely. Even if you don't use it all the time, you'll want the option.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:34 pm

sounds good, thanks!

Triveal

Postby Triveal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:52 pm

For anyone here, how big of a factor was living in NYC when making your decision on where to go to school? Did anybody actually get in to HYS and pick C over it for this reason? Did anybody get into Chicago and choose Columbia because simply because NYC is just so awsum?

I think I'm being overly idealistic.

cls.2014

Postby cls.2014 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 am

Get a locker, they're free and most people use them.

Triveal wrote:For anyone here, how big of a factor was living in NYC when making your decision on where to go to school? Did anybody actually get in to HYS and pick C over it for this reason? Did anybody get into Chicago and choose Columbia because simply because NYC is just so awsum?

I think I'm being overly idealistic.

People don't really talk about where else they got into law school. I heard about one person that chose Columbia over S for various reasons. I chose it over H because of the superior scholarship offer and because my boyfriend is getting his Ph.D. in the city. It's not unheard of- considering Columbia's private firm job placement is as good or better than HYS. Columbia only really hurts if you want to work for the government or be an academic- otherwise you just lose a little prestige.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:33 am

Does anyone know if law students can get access to Columbia's boathouse?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Any 2L/3L students out there have comments about our elective choices?

Critical Legal Thought (Prof. Katherine Franke)
Foundations of the Regulatory State (Prof. Peter Strauss)
Law and Contemporary Society (Prof. Eben Moglen)
Lawyering Across Multiple Legal Orders (Profs. Katharina Pistor, George Bermann)
Legislation and Regulation (Prof. Caitlin Halligan)
Principles of Intellectual Property (Prof. Scott Hemphill)
The United States and the International Legal System (Prof. Matthew Waxman)

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Any 2L/3L students out there have comments about our elective choices?

Critical Legal Thought (Prof. Katherine Franke)

Don't know too much about this class, but the professor is a big deal in LGBT legal studies.

Foundations of the Regulatory State (Prof. Peter Strauss)

Expect this class to be pretty intense (ask people who have Strauss for legal methods). People who've taken the course seem to enjoy it, but most of the students self-selected into the class.

Law and Contemporary Society (Prof. Eben Moglen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ickn8iipxUc . I think this pretty much sums it up.

Lawyering Across Multiple Legal Orders (Profs. Katharina Pistor, George Bermann)

Interesting subject matter, but I've heard the class is all over the place and can be very hard to follow. Also, I think the reading load is pretty heavy.

Legislation and Regulation (Prof. Caitlin Halligan)

Don't know much

Principles of Intellectual Property (Prof. Scott Hemphill)

Don't know much

The United States and the International Legal System (Prof. Matthew Waxman)

Generally has a very good reputation. Probably not as intense as Strauss's class, but a pretty legit course.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”