Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
somethingElse

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby somethingElse » Thu May 05, 2016 12:03 pm

somethingElse wrote:Possibly stupid and/or unanswerable housing Q for you guys:

For UAH, how shitty/unshitty are the chances that you get a 2 bedroom if you put down one roommate (i.e. list their name and shit)? And do those chances change at all if you put down two roommates (for getting a 3 bedroom)? Tyia

EDIT: Oh, and also, are the two bedrooms generally more expensive than the three, and so on etc?

Sorry to bump this, but anyone have any insight? tyia!

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Thu May 05, 2016 1:06 pm

somethingElse wrote:

For UAH, how shitty/unshitty are the chances that you get a 2 bedroom if you put down one roommate (i.e. list their name and shit)? And do those chances change at all if you put down two roommates (for getting a 3 bedroom)? Tyia

EDIT: Oh, and also, are the two bedrooms generally more expensive than the three, and so on etc?

I'm pretty sure two-bedrooms are generally more expensive than three, etc. If you only want a two-bedroom with a specific roommate, email Julianna Utley and tell her that, and I'm sure they'll probably accommodate. If you want a three-bedroom you can ask for that too. I think they pretty much do their best to accommodate all requests

somethingElse

Postby somethingElse » Thu May 05, 2016 1:07 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
somethingElse wrote:

I'm pretty sure two-bedrooms are generally more expensive than three, etc. If you only want a two-bedroom with a specific roommate, email Julianna Utley and tell her that, and I'm sure they'll probably accommodate. If you want a three-bedroom you can ask for that too. I think they pretty much do their best to accommodate all requests

Okay sounds good, thank you!!

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri May 06, 2016 9:05 pm

Has anyone had Yaroshefsky for PR? How the hell do you study for that final?

bobr

Postby bobr » Sat May 07, 2016 1:59 pm

TheoO wrote:Has anyone had Yaroshefsky for PR? How the hell do you study for that final?

Ditto for Davis for PR

naenae2745

Postby naenae2745 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:35 pm

TheoO wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
almondjoy wrote:ya'll get that email about MGK leaving for Cardozo?

Yeah, rough

rough? for her or for us? its not exactly a loss for the students.

I think we could do a lot worse than MGK. I hope that they are not looking internally for her replacement

What did she actually do?

not much other than send out e-mails with a bunch of formatting errors and misinformation.

smaug

Postby smaug » Sat May 07, 2016 9:07 pm

damn, lots of MGK hate

*pours one out* #OMGK

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sat May 07, 2016 9:09 pm

smaug wrote:damn, lots of MGK hate

*pours one out* #OMGK

I'm pretty confused by it. I thought she was universally liked..?

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 pm

naenae2745 wrote:
TheoO wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
almondjoy wrote:ya'll get that email about MGK leaving for Cardozo?

Yeah, rough

rough? for her or for us? its not exactly a loss for the students.

I think we could do a lot worse than MGK. I hope that they are not looking internally for her replacement

What did she actually do?

not much other than send out e-mails with a bunch of formatting errors and misinformation.

Yeah I was never really too clear on what the "Dean of Students" did.

Burlington4174

Postby Burlington4174 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:39 pm

almondjoy wrote:

*pours one out* #OMGK

I don't think people dislike her. Those few times I have heard her speak, she has seemed friendly, if not a great public speaker. But she just does not do anything that is particularly noteworthy for a large percentage students on a regular basis, so there is no real reason for most of us to care.

Maybe she does stuff behind the scenes, and we will all miss her when she is gone - I really have no idea. But unless you are in like Student Senate, the kind of person who likes to cozy up to administrators, or have some legit reason to speak with the Dean (so like 10-20% of the school), then you don't know her and she does not know you.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Burlington4174 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

*pours one out* #OMGK

I don't think people dislike her. Those few times I have heard her speak, she has seemed friendly, if not a great public speaker. But she just does not do anything that is particularly noteworthy for a large percentage students on a regular basis, so there is no real reason for most of us to care.

Maybe she does stuff behind the scenes, and we will all miss her when she is gone - I really have no idea. But unless you are in like Student Senate, the kind of person who likes to cozy up to administrators, or have some legit reason to speak with the Dean (so like 10-20% of the school), then you don't know her and she does not know you.

Kobrin has her pet projects and favorite students, and basically ignored everyone else. I'm not shedding any tears at her departure. She likes the positive attention she received from law revue/student senate and shafted the student organizations that actually needed her support. She also did a pretty mediocre/shitty job of addressing individual student concerns and largely delegated to inept administrators.

Then again, the new dean is taking a lot of shit for taking resources away from students & faculty and pouring money into sinkholes like "SJI". So whatever. I don't know whether MGK was fired or left due to the incompetence of the new dean's administration, regardless the school is corroding from the inside and needs a fucking wake up call. thank god we out this bitch tho

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 07, 2016 10:00 pm

*rant*
Last edited by jbagelboy on Sun May 08, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sat May 07, 2016 10:02 pm

jbagelboy wrote:On that note, fuck the new dean, fuck kobrin, double fuck petal modeste and ocs, fuck chapnick and sji and her self-righteous bullshit, fuck kraus and all the other shrimp dick morally bankrupt unavailable professors, fuck schnepf and the housing office, fuck Bollinger, and god bless the people like Suzanne Goldberg and Bradford and Jackson and Lynch that keep the whole machine moving against all odds of this godawful incompetence.

The good guys are down one with Jackson leaving.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat May 07, 2016 10:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:On that note, fuck the new dean, fuck kobrin, double fuck petal modeste and ocs, fuck chapnick and sji and her self-righteous bullshit, fuck kraus and all the other shrimp dick morally bankrupt unavailable professors, fuck schnepf and the housing office, fuck Bollinger, and god bless the people like Suzanne Goldberg and Bradford and Jackson and Lynch that keep the whole machine moving against all odds of this godawful incompetence.

+1.

smaug

Postby smaug » Sat May 07, 2016 10:31 pm

Burlington4174 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

*pours one out* #OMGK

I don't think this is really true. You might not see what she did to keep the wheels moving, but my understanding was that MGK and Avery Katz were the folks who actually cared and did things during the reign of Schizer (who, in his defense, apparently was pretty widely loved at the start of his tenure and probably checked out). To the extent the law school did anything for students (which, granted, wasn't much) it was at the behest of MGK. To the extent faculty problems were resolved, it was because Avery Katz actually gives a fuck. For areas where you'd really want change, say, in OCS, my understanding was that long-standing internal conflict/power dynamic issues kept those from being resolved. I sincerely doubt that MGK leaving will cause things to change for the better there.

The real mistake goes back to not keeping T-Mo and having him be Dean. Obvious then, just as obvious now.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 07, 2016 10:35 pm

If anyone gave a flying fuck ever about students, they would reduce tuition and shitcan useless abusive faculty.

No one (in administration)* at this school ever gave a fuck about students.

*we have some terrific faculty

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Sat May 07, 2016 10:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:If anyone gave a flying fuck ever about students, they would reduce tuition and shitcan useless abusive faculty.

No one at this school ever gave a fuck about students.

I understand that it's tough for any one individual to have such an effect on the school, given the power of tenure and institutional inertia. I just wish some of the administrators would address this to us head on. It's annoying how whenever had the dean mornings with Scott, so many issues came up, useless shit linking the school to the greater university, but nobody brought up tuition...

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat May 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Lester hasn't been here that long, so who knows what will happen with her... but if the entrance remodel is any indication, CLS dropping out of the T14

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 07, 2016 10:40 pm

I know that individual administrators cannot impact tuition increases or fire/meaningfully censure tenured faculty.

But fuck the patronizing bullshit. Have some balls and admit the problems and what you can and cannot fix instead of spinning wheels. Then fire half the administration.

Everyone should know the cockshit that goes on in those offices. These are the worst people.

the worst

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat May 07, 2016 11:22 pm

Guys, did I get drunk and start posting under JBB's account?

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Sat May 07, 2016 11:24 pm

:lol:

I was wondering that myself.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat May 07, 2016 11:28 pm

I'll cosign the fact that 90% of the administration is awful, but I owe shoutouts to (1) Juliana Utley, (2) Marsha Diamond, (3) Annie Green, and (4) the one library dude with the dreadlock pineapple who always works the graveyard shift, all of whom helped with things I needed without letting bureaucratic bullshit get in the way, which is a sorely rare skill at this school. And given my seething contempt for, well, everyone and everything, I would hope posterity finds those endorsements meaningful.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sun May 08, 2016 12:04 am

I like this new attitude JBB. Juliana Utley is the shit though. They should quadruple her salary and have her run the housing office.
Last edited by dabigchina on Sun May 08, 2016 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Burlington4174

Postby Burlington4174 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:04 am

smaug wrote:
Burlington4174 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

*pours one out* #OMGK

I don't think this is really true. You might not see what she did to keep the wheels moving, but my understanding was that MGK and Avery Katz were the folks who actually cared and did things during the reign of Schizer (who, in his defense, apparently was pretty widely loved at the start of his tenure and probably checked out). To the extent the law school did anything for students (which, granted, wasn't much) it was at the behest of MGK. To the extent faculty problems were resolved, it was because Avery Katz actually gives a fuck. For areas where you'd really want change, say, in OCS, my understanding was that long-standing internal conflict/power dynamic issues kept those from being resolved. I sincerely doubt that MGK leaving will cause things to change for the better there.

The real mistake goes back to not keeping T-Mo and having him be Dean. Obvious then, just as obvious now.

You are not really saying anything that contradicts my post. She might actually be good at her job. I was not saying she is not. I noted she might do stuff behind the scenes that I am unaware of - I honestly have no idea about most of the bureaucratic stuff. I just have noticed that whenever I see in the halls she is always talking to the same group of individuals, and there has never been an occasion where I thought to myself that I was grateful she was a member of the administration. And I think that is how the majority of students view her (at least outside of TLS), which is why most of us don't care.

smaug

Postby smaug » Sun May 08, 2016 12:09 am

Maybe things have changed since I graduated, but I'd suspect she knows who you are was part of my point. You might not notice or care about her, but that doesn't mean she doesn't notice you.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”