Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
john_brown

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby john_brown » Tue May 03, 2016 11:17 pm

Does anyone have any success stories of surviving an exam after a semester of minimal reading/attendance with about 4 days of uninterrupted study?

smaug

Postby smaug » Tue May 03, 2016 11:45 pm

john_brown wrote:Does anyone have any success stories of surviving an exam after a semester of minimal reading/attendance with about 4 days of uninterrupted study?

i never read a case in corps and i don't think i made an outline. definitely didn't study for 4 days.

still got an a-. you'll be fine.
Last edited by smaug on Wed May 04, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 03, 2016 11:58 pm

john_brown wrote:Does anyone have any success stories of surviving an exam after a semester of minimal reading/attendance with about 4 days of uninterrupted study?

yea, several classes actually.

but I don't know how well that would work for the actually really difficult exams (evidence, corporations, admin, antitrust, sec reg, fed courts). it should work fine for others

YCDAACH

Postby YCDAACH » Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 am

What do you all actually do during the 3 week orientation period? How much of that time is spent in the Legal Methods class?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed May 04, 2016 2:26 am

YCDAACH wrote:What do you all actually do during the 3 week orientation period? How much of that time is spent in the Legal Methods class?

Depends on who you get. One prof had two two hour sessions 5x/week(4?), with a few hours break. Another had just one two hour session 4/5 days a week. Can't remember too well. Either way, you shouldn't really be doing much work, if at all.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed May 04, 2016 2:28 am

jbagelboy wrote:

but I don't know how well that would work for the actually really difficult exams (evidence, corporations, admin, antitrust, sec reg, fed courts). it should work fine for others

Someone I know got an A- is evidence with about a weekend of study. But I figure a good chunk of that is because of the randomness of Schechtman's multiple choice exam.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed May 04, 2016 7:57 am

Define success

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed May 04, 2016 8:12 am

YCDAACH wrote:What do you all actually do during the 3 week orientation period? How much of that time is spent in the Legal Methods class?

While it does depend on the class, there's a lot of free time regardless. It's a pretty great opportunity to meet other law students, especially people in other sections. Expect to spend at least 2 hours (but probably 3) in class 5 days a week, plus some reading.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Wed May 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Just got pulverized by Richman's Evidence exam. I felt confident going in, but that was brutal.

Anyone know what his curves tend to look like (in terms of what %-correct needed at each grade level)?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 04, 2016 1:14 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Just got pulverized by Richman's Evidence exam. I felt confident going in, but that was brutal.

Anyone know what his curves tend to look like (in terms of what %-correct needed at each grade level)?

No idea exact %'s, but the curve is tight and you can miss a bunch of MCs and cop an A-. FWIW, everyone feels the same way after taking it and a third of them still manage to get honors range grades

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Wed May 04, 2016 1:20 pm

That's a (semi) relief. I can't imagine anyone being confident coming out of that.

I think my biggest mistake was studying section-by-section (ie. 803, then 804, then character evidence, then authentication, etc.) and doing practice questions that were specific only to one or two sections at once. When the problems are open-ended and can touch on everything at once, it's a different ballgame.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 04, 2016 2:35 pm

White Dwarf wrote:That's a (semi) relief. I can't imagine anyone being confident coming out of that.

I think my biggest mistake was studying section-by-section (ie. 803, then 804, then character evidence, then authentication, etc.) and doing practice questions that were specific only to one or two sections at once. When the problems are open-ended and can touch on everything at once, it's a different ballgame.

you're a 1L right? yea that would have been stressful AF. the mistake was taking a difficult 4 class as your elective.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Wed May 04, 2016 3:14 pm

ya'll get that email about MGK leaving for Cardozo?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed May 04, 2016 3:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Only once have I ever gotten better than a B+ on an exam I seriously studied for. I've gotten an A- or better about five times where I didn't seriously study.

I've gotten every grade from B- to A+ and the correlation with the amount of work I put into the class has basically been zero. So yeah, this is all somewhat random (not entirely, but somewhat) random.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Wed May 04, 2016 3:25 pm

almondjoy wrote:ya'll get that email about MGK leaving for Cardozo?

Yeah, rough

freakingoutlalala

Postby freakingoutlalala » Wed May 04, 2016 3:25 pm

For those who chose unfurnished housing from out of state, was it difficult finding furniture within a reasonable cost and in time?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 04, 2016 3:33 pm

GoneSouth wrote:

Yeah, rough

rough? for her or for us? its not exactly a loss for the students.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 04, 2016 3:34 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Only once have I ever gotten better than a B+ on an exam I seriously studied for. I've gotten an A- or better about five times where I didn't seriously study.

I've gotten every grade from B- to A+ and the correlation with the amount of work I put into the class has basically been zero. So yeah, this is all somewhat random (not entirely, but somewhat) random.

you got an A+? damn bro

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Wed May 04, 2016 3:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:

Yeah, rough

I think we could do a lot worse than MGK. I hope that they are not looking internally for her replacement

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed May 04, 2016 4:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:Just got pulverized by Richman's Evidence exam. I felt confident going in, but that was brutal.

No idea exact %'s, but the curve is tight and you can miss a bunch of MCs and cop an A-. FWIW, everyone feels the same way after taking it and a third of them still manage to get honors range grades

Unless you're a 3L. I walked outta that exam with zero stress

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Wed May 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Anyone else think Jackson's Corps exams today was much more difficult than the practice exams?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed May 04, 2016 4:25 pm

White Dwarf wrote:That's a (semi) relief. I can't imagine anyone being confident coming out of that.

There will be other classes that test in a similar manner (admin law, environmental law, fed courts), and I think the ability to prepare for these become easier the longer you progress as a student.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Wed May 04, 2016 4:34 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Anyone else think Jackson's Corps exams today was much more difficult than the practice exams?

I generally hate talking about exams after I take them but I do agree it seemed a bit tougher.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Thu May 05, 2016 1:35 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

you got an A+? damn bro

FWIW, Harcourt gives out A+ on the cheap when you do research work for him or do a paper. He also maxes out everything credit wise.

Take note 1Ls, especially those who want to try and "game" honors next year. Liebman also gives As for research work.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Thu May 05, 2016 2:10 am

GoneSouth wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:

Yeah, rough

I think we could do a lot worse than MGK. I hope that they are not looking internally for her replacement

What did she actually do?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”