Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
almondjoy

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:24 pm

jrc223 wrote:can anyone ballpark the upper year curve for lectures and seminars?

https://lawnetportal.law.columbia.edu/d ... 2859352b23

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:26 pm

jrc223 wrote:can anyone ballpark the upper year curve for lectures and seminars?

25% B
40% B+
20% A-
15% A

ETA: damn my memory was pretty close!

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:04 pm

almondjoy wrote:

I get a forbidden/cannot access page when I click on that link. I'm assuming the numbers are close to what Nebby posted?

I had heard that there were different upper year curves for seminars and lectures, but the 1L echo chamber has certainly been wrong before

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:14 pm

jrc223 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

I get a forbidden/cannot access page when I click on that link. I'm assuming the numbers are close to what Nebby posted?

I had heard that there were different upper year curves for seminars and lectures, but the 1L echo chamber has certainly been wrong before

Hmm maybe because you're a 1L they don't let you view it? Weird. Anyway here it is:
Courses
A=15.63, A-=26, B+=33.23, B=20.88

Seminars
A=30.29, A-=36.69, B+=25.48, B=4.81

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Seminars being easy As are dumb. I'd taken more of them if I didn't have to write a paper.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Nebby wrote:Seminars being easy As are dumb. I'd taken more of them if I didn't have to write a paper.

Writing papers blow hard. I'd much rather study for a week or so and bang out a 4 hr exam than struggle through a paper for half a semester.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:30 pm

almondjoy wrote:
Nebby wrote:Seminars being easy As are dumb. I'd taken more of them if I didn't have to write a paper.

Writing papers blow hard. I'd much rather study for a week or so and bang out a 4 hr exam than struggle through a paper for half a semester. like a day and a half

FTFY

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:19 pm

nicknar wrote:Have any of you done the Mass Incarceration clinic? How was the experience? (Also would be interested in thoughts on any of the clinics, and the clinical program as a whole)

I have and it's awesome. Highly recommend it if it peaks your interest. Dignam is the best.

nicknar

Postby nicknar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:33 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
nicknar wrote:Have any of you done the Mass Incarceration clinic? How was the experience? (Also would be interested in thoughts on any of the clinics, and the clinical program as a whole)

I have and it's awesome. Highly recommend it if it peaks your interest. Dignam is the best.

Great, thanks! It is definitely something I'm interested in doing if possible. In general all the experiential stuff at Columbia seems really great.

YCDAACH

Postby YCDAACH » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:22 am

Roughly how many hours a week do you and your classmates spend studying, reading, and doing law work outside of class?

I know other schools have mods or some ways of putting 1L's in smaller groups. Does Columbia do anything like that? Is there a sense of community between you and the other students in your year.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:07 am

YCDAACH wrote:Roughly how many hours a week do you and your classmates spend studying, reading, and doing law work outside of class?

I know other schools have mods or some ways of putting 1L's in smaller groups. Does Columbia do anything like that? Is there a sense of community between you and the other students in your year.

Yea there are a number of programs designed to bring 1Ls together in small environments. For example, (1) everyone has one "small section" from one of contracts/torts/property, with only ~25 students. You spend the most time with your small section; (2) everyone has an even smaller LPW class composed of persons from your section, that will have about 15 people; (3) everyone has a "peer mentor group," where one male & one female 2L have a group of ~15-20 1Ls that they plan activities with and take out for drinks, ect.

Beyond that, there are geographic/ethnic/law interest/ect affinity groups that anyone can join and participate in; there's bar review; there are specialized moot courts (great way to make close 1L and 2L friends in small groups); there are research teams, pro bono groups, and lots of other ways to get to know your class that are volunteer based and not assigned.

ugg

Postby ugg » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Do 1L textbooks vary based on what section you're in? Wondering if I can get a jump start on buying some of the basics.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:52 pm

ugg wrote:Do 1L textbooks vary based on what section you're in? Wondering if I can get a jump start on buying some of the basics.

Everyone uses Brest Levinson for conlaw and Scott Kraus for Contracts afaik. The rest are a crapshoot. I would just hold off.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:53 pm

ugg wrote:Do 1L textbooks vary based on what section you're in? Wondering if I can get a jump start on buying some of the basics.

You're joking right?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:12 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:

You're joking right?

Smith & Wesson

ugg

Postby ugg » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:14 pm

no, DC. i'm really THIS horrible

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:16 pm

ugg wrote:no, DC. i'm really THIS horrible

Yes they vary. There's no way to tell what you'll need until August

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:31 pm

most people buy their casebooks/textbooks in september

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:34 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Proud to report that I have not bought a single textbook in law school. Scanned them from library.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:17 am

mylifeis24 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Proud to report that I have not bought a single textbook in law school. Scanned them from library.

^this guy is a winner

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:52 am

mylifeis24 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

+1

This is what I did. Scanning a casebook takes about 45 minutes. Got a few friends to do the same and we all shared the scans, wound up with 10 books and haven't spent a cent (except on those goddamn "coursepacks" I couldn't do without). No idea why anyone would buy a mass-produced casebook.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:45 pm

dabigchina wrote:

Everyone uses Brest Levinson for conlaw and Scott Kraus for Contracts afaik. The rest are a crapshoot. I would just hold off.

Moot point, but some Ks sections used different books this year I think.

To answer the 0L question, the reason not to buy casebooks or really anything early is because 1) you don't know what your professors will focus on and how they'll understand and explain even the major, landmark cases, and 2) you should try to enjoy your remaining time as a normal human.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:21 am

dabigchina wrote:

Nope, Brooks uses his own book for Contracts (though I heard he may not be teaching it next year). Anyway, just hold off because 1) you never know if a new edition is going to come out this summer, or if you're going to have some visiting prof that uses a weird book and 2) there will be tons of 2Ls willing to sell you used books for a good price

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:54 am

dabigchina wrote:

I had a visiting prof for Conlaw who used Chemerinsky. Wait for the start of classes to buy your books, since you can (1) not buy them (like people did here), or (2) buy them on the cheap from upperclassmen. Honestly, the amount you can sell the book will generally be within some range of what you bought it for.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:57 pm

Chermerinsky is by far the best con law casebook too

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”