Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
almondjoy

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:42 pm

theconsigliere wrote:Asked this in the Columbia acceptances page and was told this page might be able to provide a better answer: is there any/much precedent for people who didn't receive a named scholarship to eventually receive/negotiate an award that equals or surpasses the value (90k) of a Butler? I'm asking b/c if the answer is essentially no, then Columbia is probably off the table for me.

Unfortunately I think the answer is essentially no. Columbia is pretty stingy with awards if you didn't get a Butler/Hamilton.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:33 pm

I got $90K off of the waitlist in June, but I think a lot of that was need-aid.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 pm

I met someone at ASD last week who said he ended up with about half tuition, and he specifically said he hadn't gotten a Butler.

It might have been mostly need, though.

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 pm

when do we need to start doing finaid stuff again? i've been assuming that the finaid office will start bugging us when they want stuff, but that seems like a stupid assumption

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:10 am

DCfilterDC wrote:Handed in my brief on time, but got me thinking about the "NO EXCEPTIONS" for briefs handed in after 5 PM, that they won't be accepted. What actually happens to people who don't get it in for the 5 PM deadline? Are they blowing smoke, or is there some consequence?

In the same 1L boat, but of the requirements I bet that's the one they enforce most strictly. I seriously, seriously doubt they're going to make me take LPW II again if I screwed up a pin cite, despite the handbook language threatening that they'll fail you if you don't Bluebook 100% properly.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:02 pm

theconsigliere wrote:Asked this in the Columbia acceptances page and was told this page might be able to provide a better answer: is there any/much precedent for people who didn't receive a named scholarship to eventually receive/negotiate an award that equals or surpasses the value (90k) of a Butler? I'm asking b/c if the answer is essentially no, then Columbia is probably off the table for me...

Didn't get a named scholarship, but was offered $90K. Didn't have to leverage.

mynameiskevin

Postby mynameiskevin » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Anyone know the actual monthly rates for "400" blocks for housing? Also, is UAH housing less costly than law school specific?

I browsed through the housing page for days, and I'm still confused why law school specific housing is priced much higher than other schools' housing...

Any other tips on housing will be much appreciated.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:37 am

mynameiskevin wrote:Anyone know the actual monthly rates for "400" blocks for housing? Also, is UAH housing less costly than law school specific?

I browsed through the housing page for days, and I'm still confused why law school specific housing is priced much higher than other schools' housing...

UAH seems to definitely be less costly than law school specific. Unless you want to try to get a studio in Lenfest or something, I would recommend UAH. Most people in UAH housing get matched up with law students any way

pa1901

Postby pa1901 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 pm

GoneSouth wrote:UAH seems to definitely be less costly than law school specific. Unless you want to try to get a studio in Lenfest or something, I would recommend UAH. Most people in UAH housing get matched up with law students any way

This is my experience as well. I did UAH and pay less than people I know who did law school only housing. Ended up with a law roommate anyway. I'm not sure if Law School only housing includes this option, but there's also a decent price drop if you go unfurnished vs. furnished. And as a bonus you don't have to deal with the standard issue dorm size double bed that paying more gets you.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:46 pm

mynameiskevin wrote:Anyone know the actual monthly rates for "400" blocks for housing? Also, is UAH housing less costly than law school specific?

The actual rates for the 400 block 3-bedroom is between 1250-1500 or so. UAH is much cheaper per square foot, so you'll get a bigger apartment and pay less.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:57 pm

pa1901 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:UAH seems to definitely be less costly than law school specific. Unless you want to try to get a studio in Lenfest or something, I would recommend UAH. Most people in UAH housing get matched up with law students any way

This is my experience as well. I did UAH and pay less than people I know who did law school only housing. Ended up with a law roommate anyway. I'm not sure if Law School only housing includes this option, but there's also a decent price drop if you go unfurnished vs. furnished. And as a bonus you don't have to deal with the standard issue dorm size double bed that paying more gets you.

The dorm issue double bed is the reason I am going unfurnished. Fuck that. Or rather, you can't fuck on that.

pa1901

Postby pa1901 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:04 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:The dorm issue double bed is the reason I am going unfurnished. Fuck that. Or rather, you can't fuck on that.

That was also 100% a deciding factor for me. Even without the bonus of lower rent I would've gone unfurnished. Shit, even if unfurnished was higher I would've paid to avoid that. Plus, maybe this is just completely by chance of the individual apartments my friends live in, but the furnished places I've seen tend to have smaller rooms than my unfurnished place. Some rooms are incredibly small to the point where even if you had a queen bed you couldn't fit it. So I highly recommend any incoming students to go unfurnished.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:51 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:The dorm issue double bed is the reason I am going unfurnished. Fuck that. Or rather, you can't fuck on that.

Did you go to college? You can fuck on those beds, or at lot less. Horny people are always resourceful.

Not that you're gonna have anywhere near the amount of sex you think you will in law school.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:57 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
The dorm issue double bed is the reason I am going unfurnished. Fuck that. Or rather, you can't fuck on that.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:19 pm

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:58 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

Did you go to college? You can fuck on those beds, or at lot less. Horny people are always resourceful.

Not that you're gonna have anywhere near the amount of sex you think you will in law school.

just because you can doesn't make it all that attractive an option. having at least a full if not a queen sized bed is basically an adult right of passage

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:33 am

Well, having a positive net worth also used to be an adult rite of passage, but I think we can agree that real adulthood takes longer these days. And by the way, these 25-year-olds ordering ten Seamless meals a week and going to hungover brunch are not "adults."

I know unfurnished apartments are cheaper anyway, but as an aside, it irks me when do pointless shit for the sole reason that they have some vague notion that getting older means they should be XYZ. None of my friends want to hang out and split a case at our apartments anymore because apparently the "grown up" thing to do is spend $60 at some loud West Village "hotspot" surrounded by people we all hate. Can't get 10 people together to split a beach house for spring break because everyone feels like they should be traveling Europe (even though no one *really* has the money). And it's all ten times worse when all these UMC kids move to NYC and get the idea that they should be living like Carrie Bradshaw.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 am

I mean you can also have a furnished apartment and just bring in your own bed... I know a number of people who did that. Since the dorm bed can be taken a part and then just put behind a couch or under the new bed, it really isn't a hassle.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:04 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:I mean you can also have a furnished apartment and just bring in your own bed... I know a number of people who did that. Since the dorm bed can be taken a part and then just put behind a couch or under the new bed, it really isn't a hassle.

I mean, I already own all the furniture I'd need for a studio so *shrug*

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:37 am

LetsGoMets wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:

[img]dont%20do%20this%20again.jpg[/img]

stop. stop...

maroon175

Postby maroon175 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Question regarding GSF/HRIP funding for 1L summer. Approximately how much does $4,500 come out to after taxes?

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:54 pm

maroon175 wrote:Question regarding GSF/HRIP funding for 1L summer. Approximately how much does $4,500 come out to after taxes?

Well if it's your only income for the year then it should come out to $4,500 because it's less than the standard deduction

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:52 am

You'll still pay FICA, so a little less.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:06 am

When do the course rosters for next semester typically come out? I'm unclear how we can apply by April 11 for clinics and externships that demand certain availability without any idea of what we'll be taking next semester. I mean I guess you have to just register for classes eventually around what you're already committed to?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:17 am

Does anyone know what "Title IV Student Refund" means and why it shows up as a charge on the account, not a credit?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”