Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dabigchina

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
KiltedKicker wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I remember seeing a number saying Bay Area placement was about 1% of the class a year or two ago, maybe that source was off though.

Cal. Not even close.

Also, what's with the terrible west coast placement. looking at the summer class distributions, it looks like Columbia has some of the the worst bay area placement in the T10. IE, there are like 4 CLS grads total split between the big SV firms. I can't imagine it's all self selection. It's almost enough to make me want to transfer.

Columbia places like 10% of its class into California each year.

Not sure what summer class distributions thread you are referring to but the current one has very little info on SV.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=239113

I'm going off of Cooley and and WSGR. 4 Total. 3 seems surprisingly high for Wilson actually. The year before I think they only took 1 from CLS. With the way the markets are going I wouldn't be surprised if they cut back on hiring next year. Granted, that thread doesn't have Orrick, Mofo, Fenwick, or Gunderson.

This may sound entitled, but it doesn't feel good when it sounds like CLS's recruiting clout in Norcal is on par with GULC and Michigan.

CLS does seem to do better in SoCal though.

ETA: Anecdotally, it just seems like bidding heavily on NorCal is like the one way to really have a good chance of striking out from CLS.

C/o '15 had:

1 at Cooley
1 at DPW
1 at Gibson
2 at MoFo
1 at Shearman
1 at STB
2 at Skadden
1 at WSGR

Just LOL at wanting to live in the one area worse than NYC though, and double LOL at striving for CLS and debtpwning yourself in an area where you'll never buy a home instead of copping Berkeley $$$, and triple LOL at risking a strikeout for all this shit.

Good post. I'm kind of surprised nobody went to Orrick or Pillsbury. Is this Norcal or all of California? Also, yes. If you don't need to be in CA (Family/SO) I wouldn't choose post law school to relocate, especially if you don't go to Stanford/Cal.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Anyone here have Yaroshefsky outlines?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:24 pm

Can you actually not switch from law school to UAH housing? Anyway around this?

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:28 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Can you actually not switch from law school to UAH housing? Anyway around this?

My sense is they can do pretty much anything they really want to, they just don't want to make it easy. Juliana is all-powerful

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Wondering that too. This $1400 rent for a crummy 3BR-share is killing me.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:27 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Wondering that too. This $1400 rent for a crummy 3BR-share is killing me.

heard through the grapevine you basically have to do UAH housing lottery and hope you get something? who knows if this is legit.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:36 pm

dabigchina wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:Wondering that too. This $1400 rent for a crummy 3BR-share is killing me.

heard through the grapevine you basically have to do UAH housing lottery and hope you get something? who knows if this is legit.

Oh that sucks, so you might not even get anything out of the lottery and risk no housing?

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:30 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

Oh that sucks, so you might not even get anything out of the lottery and risk no housing?

You're guaranteed housing though, I thought?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:36 am

I thought the 3BDR shares were like $1050-1100.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:41 am

jbagelboy wrote:

I thought the 3BDR shares were like $1050-1100.

That's UAH. Law School is much more expensive.

CerealMilk

Postby CerealMilk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:03 am

Quick question about LRAP in case anyone knows. Do your law school tuition loans accrue interest while in law school? I know that the LRAP means that they don't afterwards if you are in approved employment but I wasn't sure about the 3 years we're in school. Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:16 pm

CerealMilk wrote:Quick question about LRAP in case anyone knows. Do your law school tuition loans accrue interest while in law school? I know that the LRAP means that they don't afterwards if you are in approved employment but I wasn't sure about the 3 years we're in school. Thanks!

They do accrue interest.

CerealMilk

Postby CerealMilk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
CerealMilk wrote:Quick question about LRAP in case anyone knows. Do your law school tuition loans accrue interest while in law school? I know that the LRAP means that they don't afterwards if you are in approved employment but I wasn't sure about the 3 years we're in school. Thanks!

They do accrue interest.

Just during those three years though, correct?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Just fucking LOL at Columbia getting $4200 in revenue from a unit that's maybe 1000 square feet total, and double fucking LOL at a university worth $10 billion (who by the way could pay for tuition, room and board for every need-qualified student in every one of its graduate schools with just the investment income it earns every year) informing kids $200k in the hole that their shitbox rent is up another 5%, and triple fucking LOL at these same rich bureaucrats turning around and claiming with a straight face that they're "subsidizing" you.

Enjoy the Big Blue dick in your ass, 0Ls!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:43 pm

CerealMilk wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

They do accrue interest.

Just during those three years though, correct?

The loans you take out for law school accrue interest until they are paid off. Students in Columbia's LRAP have their loan payments made each year by the school in the form of a forgivable loan, which generally does not accrue interest. If you stop working in PI then the LRAP loans from the school which have yet to be forgiven will begin accruing interest.

John_Luther1989

Postby John_Luther1989 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Just fucking LOL at Columbia getting $4200 in revenue from a unit that's maybe 1000 square feet total, and double fucking LOL at a university worth $10 billion (who by the way could pay for tuition, room and board for every need-qualified student in every one of its graduate schools with just the investment income it earns every year) informing kids $200k in the hole that their shitbox rent is up another 5%, and triple fucking LOL at these same rich bureaucrats turning around and claiming with a straight face that they're "subsidizing" you.

Don't forget that the second you graduate, CLS is gonna be in your ass trying to get donations.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:

Don't forget that the second you graduate, CLS is gonna be in your ass trying to get donations.

but its all worth it for the lay prestige amirite?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:41 pm

To the barricades!

John_Luther1989

Postby John_Luther1989 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:54 pm

dabigchina wrote:but its all worth it for the lay prestige amirite?

I literally tell myself daily that I should have gone to GW for free or taken $100k from GULC. I'd probably be at a V50 instead of V10, but fuck they pay the same and I'm gonna get the boot in 4-5 years anyway.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:17 am

[quote="John_Luther1989"][quote="dabigchina"]
but its all worth it for the lay prestige amirite?[/quote]

I literally tell myself daily that I should have gone to GW for free or taken $100k from GULC. I'd probably be at a V50 instead of V10, but fuck they pay the same and I'm gonna get the boot in 4-5 years anyway.[/quote]

Lol. Or you'd be jobless.

Why the hate

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:01 am

John_Luther1989 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:but its all worth it for the lay prestige amirite?

I literally tell myself daily that I should have gone to GW for free or taken $100k from GULC. I'd probably be at a V50 instead of V10, but fuck they pay the same and I'm gonna get the boot in 4-5 years anyway.

I tell people IRL to take the full ride all the time. The response is usually tepid, but I press them on it because I'm bitter enough IRL not to have to worry about social consequences (which a number of posters can confirm).

It's almost always too late. Six Boomers have gotten there first telling how PRESTIGIOUS! the school about to debtpwn them is.

We're powerless to help beyond that. We can't make them listen to warnings.

DC006

Postby DC006 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 am

Any good barbershops near the campus?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:05 am

DC006 wrote:Any good barbershops near the campus?

There's some cheap, but good, places around 109/110 and amsterdam

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:24 am

DCfilterDC wrote:

I go to sammy's on 105/6 and amsterdam. $14

DC006

Postby DC006 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:32 am

jbagelboy wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

I go to sammy's on 105/6 and amsterdam. $14

That's good to know. Thanks y'all!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”