Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DCfilterDC

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:46 am

John_Luther1989 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:I've read somewhere in here that Stone is a good rule of thumb for bidding DC. Is that true?

No. OCS and general chatter makes DC out to be some super hard place to get hired, but it really isn't, even at some of the top shops. Obviously Stone+ is better than not, but even being below median isn't a kiss of death. Be smart about bidding though (i.e. don't do 25 DC and 5 NY if your grades aren't killer). Talk to people who are going to DC. A bunch of 3Ls are headed that way and a decent number of 2Ls as well.

Oh wow, great advice thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:43 am

John_Luther1989 wrote:don't do 25 DC and 5 NY if your grades aren't killer

This is the key. There are people comfortably above 3.41 who don't get a sniff in DC and there are medianish folks who snag a couple of offers. The offices in DC are small enough that you can't count on a whole lot. And FWIW that's true of just about every market outside of NYC.

But that's all for another time. For now just focus on a solid second semester and everything will work out.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:17 pm

Are you from the DC area, DC? The couple of 3Ls I know who are going there are from the DMV area originally.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:52 pm

It's not that you CAN'T get DC from median (or even a little below), it's that the risk profile is such that it's not advisable to spend more than a few bids on DC. Generally any non-Stone should be bidding the 20-25 large-class NYC firms who frequently hire non-Stone.

I say this in every OCI discussion: Making sure you HAVE a job is WAY more important than WHICH job you get.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
I say this in every OCI discussion: Making sure you HAVE a job is WAY more important than WHICH job you get.

I mean that's not a categorical rule, but definitely important

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:10 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:I've read somewhere in here that Stone is a good rule of thumb for bidding DC. Is that true?

No. OCS and general chatter makes DC out to be some super hard place to get hired, but it really isn't, even at some of the top shops. Obviously Stone+ is better than not, but even being below median isn't a kiss of death. Be smart about bidding though (i.e. don't do 25 DC and 5 NY if your grades aren't killer). Talk to people who are going to DC. A bunch of 3Ls are headed that way and a decent number of 2Ls as well.

Ok but most people going to DC (and by that I mean shorthand for everyone I can think of who didn't have a unique arrangement or some sort of office split) are honors students. I'm fine recognizing Stone as a rule of thumb for bidding heavily on DC.

What winds up happening is that nearly every student who "wants" DC and pushes for it gets it, but that's because only the students who are qualified make it a clear priority in the first place.

John_Luther1989

Postby John_Luther1989 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:13 pm

Nebby wrote:Are you from the DC area, DC? The couple of 3Ls I know who are going there are from the DMV area originally.

I'm not going to DC. The DC people I know best are from CA, TX and NY. I only know one person who I know for a fact is from the district, but I'm sure there are others I'm just oblivious to.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:32 pm

I'm really interested to see the 2015 EIP results to see how many people got and accepted DC offers -- in 2014 it was less than 20 if I remember right, but as a 1L I've anecdotally heard from several 2Ls that the number of people in their class who bid and got DC offers was much higher than previous years because of an abnormally large number of people from DC/MD/VA. That said I know two people going there who didn't get their offers through EIP, so I guess it's always somewhat murky.

ColumbiaLS2016

Postby ColumbiaLS2016 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Hey, since grades were technically due by now, just thought I would post something that I posted around this time last year. Hope it helps anyone who needs to hear it!

"I finished my first semester at CLS with an underwhelming 3.1 (two Bs and 1 B+). I seriously thought my life was over, and spent the next semester and most of the next summer pretty convinced that I would never work as an attorney. Dramatic, I know, but the culture at CLS (and many top schools, I'm sure) can make you feel inferior, and with constant discussions about classes and job searches, make it seem like it's the most important thing in your entire life. It's not. Even with those first semester grades, and after some very poor bidding for EIP (but do not, I repeat do not, worry about that right now), I still ended up with about 15 callback invitations and multiple V50 offers. EIP was still a breeze, and I have a very unimpressive resume.

The moral of the story, at least right now, is do not panic. It's so easy for grades to seem like your entire life. You've worked so hard to get into CLS, and so hard during this past semester. I know I did, and it was so frustrating to see my work not pay off in the ways that I had hoped. But the worst thing you can do right now is harp on that. If you didn't get the grades you had hoped for, learn from what you might have done wrong, change some things for next semester, and do your best. One thing to keep in mind is that this is still a very small sampling, and grades can be very random. It's become a bit of a cliche to say that the test I thought I did best on was my worst grade, and the test I thought I did worst on was my best, but for me that was absolutely true. Also, TLS, and often times people who you speak to in person about grades, will not be representative of the whole class. The majority of any class will get B+s and Bs. I think Bs are still the most common grades in a class by plurality, at least for most professors. If you got these grades, it's not because you're dumb, or because you don't belong at CLS (lies I told myself after I got my grades back, that I wish I hadn't). A lot of students just have to get those grades. And while grades are important for EIP, our school really does kick so much ass when it comes to job placement that I saw people from all GPAs get tons of callbacks and offers at really great firms. That's not to say that people don't strike out, because they do for a wide range of reasons, but there's almost no GPA right now that takes you out of the running. No matter what your grades are right now, almost all of you will get great jobs and go on to start really promising legal careers.

So long story short, if you didn't get the grades that you wanted, don't dwell on them to the point where it's destructive. Learn from them in a constructive way, but know that you're not alone. I think most people are disappointed with their grades, because almost everyone coming into CLS is used to getting perfect grades and being an overacheiver, and the curve prevents everyone from accomplishing that. Most of 1L (at least at CLS) is freaking out about certain things (classes, grades, 1L jobs, journals) only for things to work out in the end and then you wonder why you freaked out so much at the time. I'm not saying your life will be perfect, or you'll get that Wachtell offer, but I just wanted to send a message from someone who was once a 1L despairing over grades who has had things work out for him/her. Everything will be alright.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more."

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:46 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Oh wow, great advice thanks!

Come deadlift

wellreallynow

Postby wellreallynow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:33 pm

hi everyone, I was accepted at columbia a few weeks ago and told i was under consideration for the Richard Paul Richman Leadership Fellowship, with an interview in the coming months. I'm unable to find any sort of information online about what this fellowship entails or what the interview looks like-- is anyone here part of this program and willing to share what their experience has been? thanks so much!

Jrr13

Postby Jrr13 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 am

can someone post pictures of what the law school and surrounding areas look like? I've been having trouble finding online besides google maps

ugg

Postby ugg » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:01 am

How important is it to live in one of the on campus dorms to facilitate social life as a 1L? I have a little dog I really don't want to part with (aka give to my mom for a while), but I also don't want to be making any huge mistakes by not living on campus. Cost of not on campus housing is not a huge issue.

That is assuming that you can't have a dog in on campus housing, I mean. Which I'm not 100% sure on, either.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:05 am

ugg wrote:How important is it to live in one of the on campus dorms to facilitate social life as a 1L? I have a little dog I really don't want to part with (aka give to my mom for a while), but I also don't want to be making any huge mistakes by not living on campus. Cost of not on campus housing is not a huge issue.

That is assuming that you can't have a dog in on campus housing, I mean. Which I'm not 100% sure on, either.

Just FYI, lots of people bring small dogs and cats to 420 W 116th Street, which is law school housing. Lenfest might be more strict, but definitely not all on-campus housing is out of bounds.

ETA: also i'll say that none of the law school housing is really "dorms", they are separate apartments. The closest to dorms you come to is the 3-bedroom apartments, but even those are quite different from an undergraduate dormitory.

As for social life, you certainly don't need to live in law school housing, but the further you live from morningside, the less connected/engaged you'll be with campus and the law school community. Lots of people live in non-campus housing in the surrounding area, though.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ugg

Postby ugg » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:06 am

jbagelboy wrote:
ugg wrote:How important is it to live in one of the on campus dorms to facilitate social life as a 1L? I have a little dog I really don't want to part with (aka give to my mom for a while), but I also don't want to be making any huge mistakes by not living on campus. Cost of not on campus housing is not a huge issue.

Just FYI, lots of people bring small dogs and cats to 420 W 116th Street, which is law school housing. Lenfest might be more strict, but definitely not all on-campus housing is out of bounds.

So it's not TECHNICALLY allowed, but it's more of a wink wink situation?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:07 am

ugg wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

So it's not TECHNICALLY allowed, but it's more of a wink wink situation?

exactly. I can only speak to 420 W though.

also see my comments above

ugg

Postby ugg » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:26 am

Can anyone who has lived there attest to this? Thanks.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Cool Kids live in Harlem hth

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:21 pm

ugg wrote:Can anyone who has lived there attest to this? Thanks.

I lived there.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:38 pm

I can attest to the fact that there are some apartments on the 116/115 area that people have cats and dogs without an issue. The super is shared in some buildings so if you're in one that doesn't have the super's apartment you're pretty much golden.

ugg

Postby ugg » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:44 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:

I can attest to the fact that there are some apartments on the 116/115 area that people have cats and dogs without an issue. The super is shared in some buildings so if you're in one that doesn't have the super's apartment you're pretty much golden.

Cool. Just worried about getting caught/the consequences of that.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:22 pm

ugg wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

Cool. Just worried about getting caught/the consequences of that.

No one can promise you, but I can say I know multiple people with cats/dogs and don't know any who had a problem.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:47 pm

I believe the official policy is that it's not allowed if you have roommates, but if the roommates are cool then you're fine. Also I lived on 112th and saw the super petting people's dogs when they'd take them out so I'm pretty sure no one cares.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Yeah, definitely ask. I'm very allergic to cats.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:23 pm

I've had a large dog, open and notoriously, in UAH housing for almost three years. You'll be fine.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”