Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tiago Splitter

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:28 pm

I'd guess with the more relaxed curve of recent years that Stone might be higher than 30% even for 1L's. As for Kent, there were 13 RBG scholars in my graduating class last year, which means at least 13 1L's were Kent, which would have been 3.5% of the 1L class. And I assume there were some people who got Kent as a 1L but not as a 2L/3L so the number was probably more like 5% for 1L.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I'd guess with the more relaxed curve of recent years that Stone might be higher than 30% even for 1L's. As for Kent, there were 13 RBG scholars in my graduating class last year, which means at least 13 1L's were Kent, which would have been 3.5% of the 1L class. And I assume there were some people who got Kent as a 1L but not as a 2L/3L so the number was probably more like 5% for 1L.

yea it's gotta be higher than 30% stone for all years and 1-3% kent
I'd say 30% is fair for 1Ls but definitely upwards of 40-50% for 2Ls and 3Ls when you include seminars and 5% for Kent as well.

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:50 pm

Do we have any idea what the % look like for other GPA's as an upper-year? 3.5, 3.6, etc. Interested in 3L OCI and it's kinda hard to tell where I even stand now.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:52 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Do we have any idea what the % look like for other GPA's as an upper-year? 3.5, 3.6, etc. Interested in 3L OCI and it's kinda hard to tell where I even stand now.

Can I ask why you're doing 3L OCI? Did you skip EIP and then change your mind?

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:55 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
AdInfinitum wrote:Do we have any idea what the % look like for other GPA's as an upper-year? 3.5, 3.6, etc. Interested in 3L OCI and it's kinda hard to tell where I even stand now.

Can I ask why you're doing 3L OCI? Did you skip EIP and then change your mind?

Not entirely sure I'll be doing 3L OCI - I just want to keep my options open in case I don't like my firm / want to change to a practice area my firm isn't great at / cold offer / etc. I don't anticipate any of these issues, but if they come up it'd be helpful to know where I stand.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Unfortunately we have very little information on where anyone ranks so it's all a lot of guessing. I'd guess 3.6 after 2L is around top 20%.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Unfortunately we have very little information on where anyone ranks so it's all a lot of guessing. I'd guess 3.6 after 2L is around top 20%.

Is there a reason they obscure it?

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:11 pm

1L starting to think my exams were fake and I'm never getting grades

Which frankly I'd be fine with

Is it typical to not have a single grade this late?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:12 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Unfortunately we have very little information on where anyone ranks so it's all a lot of guessing. I'd guess 3.6 after 2L is around top 20%.

Is there a reason they obscure it?

yeah. The whole goal is to get everyone jobs. For most people the system works pretty well because unless you really struggle you'll walk into the interview with grades that look a lot like everybody else's. As long as employers want to hire enough of us there's no reason to change things.

You'll also notice that almost every Columbia grad out there is listed as a Stone scholar because you just have to get it once to have it on the resume forever.

LetsGoMets wrote:Is it typical to not have a single grade this late?

I didn't get any of my first semester grades until the very last day.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks, Tiago. What do you mean by last day? The academic calendar shows grades are due this Friday, but I thought I had heard that that was just when they're due to the registrar from the professor, and then they go back to the professors a few days later with names attached for final evaluation.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:22 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Thanks, Tiago. What do you mean by last day? The academic calendar shows grades are due this Friday, but I thought I had heard that that was just when they're due to the registrar from the professor, and then they go back to the professors a few days later with names attached for final evaluation.

I remember thinking they were due on a Friday and I got 2 out of 3 of them on that day. I'm pretty sure the registrar gets them to you pretty quickly. My third grade came a week later but that was Kraus who seems to have been less distracted this year.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:Thanks, Tiago. What do you mean by last day? The academic calendar shows grades are due this Friday, but I thought I had heard that that was just when they're due to the registrar from the professor, and then they go back to the professors a few days later with names attached for final evaluation.

I remember thinking they were due on a Friday and I got 2 out of 3 of them on that day. I'm pretty sure the registrar gets them to you pretty quickly. My third grade came a week later but that was Kraus who seems to have been less distracted this year.

Got it, thanks for the info

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Yeah, in my experience the registrar turnaround is hours (if that), not days.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:47 pm

Felt good to be back in dodge for the first time in 8 months. Happy to see the addition of two deadlift platforms

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Nebby wrote:Felt good to be back in dodge for the first time in 8 months. Happy to see the addition of two deadlift platforms

Where did they put em?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Nebby wrote:Felt good to be back in dodge for the first time in 8 months. Happy to see the addition of two deadlift platforms

Where did they put em?

Where two of the squat racks used to be. These new platforms are the legit powerlifting ones that have a squat rack with a Deadlift platform like 6 feet behind the rack so some can squat and another can Deadlift at the same time.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:46 am

So for the regular 1L moot court this semester, do you get assigned a partner or do you get to pick? Is it only someone in your LPW section or is it across the whole class?

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:49 am

LetsGoMets wrote:So for the regular 1L moot court this semester, do you get assigned a partner or do you get to pick? Is it only someone in your LPW section or is it across the whole class?

I think it varies by LPW professor but most let you pick your partner. It's just across your LPW section.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 am

almondjoy wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:So for the regular 1L moot court this semester, do you get assigned a partner or do you get to pick? Is it only someone in your LPW section or is it across the whole class?

I think it varies by LPW professor but most let you pick your partner. It's just across your LPW section.

Cool, thank you sir

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:25 pm

For what it's worth for anyone concerned about it, the partnership aspect doesn't have to be much more than just stapling two briefs together.

ForgotMyPassword

Postby ForgotMyPassword » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:28 pm

For waitlisted classes, what does seat reserved mean? I was #1 on the waitlist and now it shows that instead, but the class hasn't moved up into the courses I'm registered for yet. [EDIT: Just answered my own question, for anyone who wonders this it just means you can go to add/drop classes and enroll into the waitlisted class.]

Also - what is the minimum number of units we can register for? Technically I could take 10 and still be on track to graduate, but I assume there's some minimum threshold.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:31 pm

ForgotMyPassword wrote:For waitlisted classes, what does seat reserved mean? I was #1 on the waitlist and now it shows that instead, but the class hasn't moved up into the courses I'm registered for yet. [EDIT: Just answered my own question, for anyone who wonders this it just means you can go to add/drop classes and enroll into the waitlisted class]

Also - what is the minimum number of units we can register for? Technically I could take 10 and still be on track to graduate, but I assume there's some minimum threshold.

I think 11 or 12 is the minimum but don't quote me

John_Luther1989

Postby John_Luther1989 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:42 pm

The minimum to be full-time is 12. The only exception is that 1 time during your tenure at CLS you can take 11. You have to fill out a form at the registrar's office I think.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:20 am

anyone want to start a betting pool on the profs to blow tomorrow's grade submission deadline?

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:anyone want to start a betting pool on the profs to blow tomorrow's grade submission deadline?

sadly i think their only deterrent is the threat of not being able to view student ratings/feedback, which seems like dubious logic: we won't let lazy or apathetic teachers see how much their students disliked their teaching style. That will show them!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”