Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
john_brown

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby john_brown » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:30 am

White Dwarf wrote:Spring 2016 schedules available on Lawnet.

I've got Bulman-Pozen for Con. Law, Briffault for Property, Harcourt for Crim., and Richman for Evidence.

Anyone have thoughts and feelings on these four? Heard goods thing about Briffault and Bulman-Pozen, but so-so things on the other two.

Harcourt is awful. Now, granted, he's awfully clever and highly distinguished in certain fields. The problem he's just not that interested in the nuts and bolts of criminal law. He would rather talk about subjects he finds interesting, which are only tangentially related to the material you are meant to be learning. The end result is that you do a lot of self-teaching.

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:32 am

ForgotMyPassword wrote:Can any 3L give me an idea of the sort of movement on waitlists for mid-size 2L/3L classes? I'm #15 on the waitlist for Monaghan's Fed Courts and the class size is forty, is there any chance I make it in?

I am genuinely shocked that any class taught by HPM is over-subscribed.

ForgotMyPassword

Postby ForgotMyPassword » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:35 am

smaug wrote:
ForgotMyPassword wrote:Can any 3L give me an idea of the sort of movement on waitlists for mid-size 2L/3L classes? I'm #15 on the waitlist for Monaghan's Fed Courts and the class size is forty, is there any chance I make it in?

I'm stunned that many people want to take a class with HPM. I bet he'd let people in. I would also assume that a lot of people will go the first day and then run far far away.

john_brown wrote:I am genuinely shocked that any class taught by HPM is over-subscribed.

Clearly I failed to check the grapevine on Monaghan, what's the deal with him? Is the final brutal, class boring, does he expect you to learn it yourself? Smaug's comment about gunners disliking him makes me want to take the class...

smaug

Postby smaug » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:41 am

He speaks at a whisper

He is mean when students say things he thinks are dumb

He doesn't really teach or explain much, he just gets to the questions you should face after reading through the areas

His classes and final are short and sweet

I thought the questions were great and fair

He's divisive. He's brilliant and I think the best professor I ever had. Many would disagree.

He used to be (maybe still is, I mean this was recent) the professor who kept the others up to date on Con Law. He might be a pompous old man, but he knows his shit

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:24 am

I'm waiting to see my grade for the conflict of laws before I decide whether or not to go w/ his fed courts. He told us he doesn't curve; what the fuck should we make of that?

His last test was much more dense than his previous years, however.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:28 am

Harcourt will treat class time as a way to discuss things he finds interesting. He will give you a lot of graphs and data. the test will be a fairly straightforward issue spotter with a policy question linked to something relevant (last year it was related to the Akai case). So you should keep his policy stuff in mind but for the rest, I would say get Understanding Crim and a good outline for his class and you'll be okay.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks all, I appreciate the input.

Not sure how I feel about having almost everything on TWR (nothing on Friday, and only one class on Monday). At least I don't have any 2-hour classes this semester.

smaug

Postby smaug » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:58 pm

TheoO wrote:I'm waiting to see my grade for the conflict of laws before I decide whether or not to go w/ his fed courts. He told us he doesn't curve; what the fuck should we make of that?

I think he's generous with As, but also with Bs. Fewer A-s and B+s

John_Luther1989

Postby John_Luther1989 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:07 pm

smaug wrote:
TheoO wrote:I'm waiting to see my grade for the conflict of laws before I decide whether or not to go w/ his fed courts. He told us he doesn't curve; what the fuck should we make of that?

I think he's generous with As, but also with Bs. Fewer A-s and B+s

He refuses to abide by the CLS curve, which is good because he will legit give everyone an A. However, he will also legit give everyone a B. If you take the class, get a study group early, and make sure you don't miss classes. He dropped a guy from our class last year who missed a few in a row. If the class is on the smaller side, literally get everyone together for a study group. That's what my year did and it worked out well for everyone who decided to take part. Last year's exam was very difficult, but I didn't think it was unfair. It just went from a very basic exam to a more standard curve-influenced sort of thing.

It is a miserable slog, but HPM is a legendary professor who is the most knowledgeable in the entire fed courts field. Take it, but sit up front.

smaug

Postby smaug » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:12 pm

fwiw the year before I think the CLR people formed a study group.

As an outsider, don't think it was necessary or that hard really. Just read things and listen to what he says: it's like a puzzle but it won't make sense until you have all of the pieces.

Folks can feel free to pm me for (dated) materials as well

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:31 pm

I'm in Fed Courts. I will not be partaking in a study group. I will create drinking group. Open to all

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:54 pm

Full disclosure: I had HPM for conflicts and not fedcourts, but have spoken to others who took the latter and what follows seems to hold true for both.

For starters: there is no syllabus. At the end of each class, he will flip through the book and announce the next assignment. These tend to be on the shorter side, as he thinks most modern textbooks are filled with "useless filler" (he gets points for this, IMO). He assumes your familiarity with the material, so will not discuss it at any length. Instead, he'll ruminate on whatever aspect of the reading interests him. This will be interpersed with anecdotes of varying relevance. He will ocassionally put a question to the class (never a cold call). Important: this is when you need to act like your paying attention. If he sees you staring too intently at your screen or (god forbid) without a book, you will be chewed out mercilessly. After about half the allotted time, he'll call it a day. You'll look at your screen and realize you've taken about four lines of notes. You'll have to teach yourself the rest.

He has a lot of pet hates, including: arbitration, half the Supreme Court, modern law school curriculum ("law and bowling") etc. etc. These make for entertaining rants. By all appearances, he enjoys neither teaching nor the company of students. One wonders why, at his age, he bothers at all.

Think of him as a wheat beer. He has his devotees, but will turn off everyone else. Think carefully before committing to an entire semester of this.

John_Luther1989

Postby John_Luther1989 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:18 pm

I gotta disagree with the end of the above. HPM certainly doesn't dive into the martial with much appreciable depth, so you have to teach it to yourself, but I found him to be highly accessible at his office and more than willing to chew through the nitty gritty of the substance when I approached him. Don't ask stupid/obvious questions or he will dislike you very quickly, but to the extent that you're reading and giving an honest effort to understand, your questions won't fall into those categories. A couple times I spent 30-40 minutes in his office walking through my notes with him and trying to understand how the pieces fit together. He didn't seem bothered by that in the least. I didn't get the impression he'd like to hang out and discuss my favorite TV shows, but he does enjoy helping intelligent people become more knowledgeable.

He has an earned reputation as a suspect in-class lecturer, but I have to vehemently disagree with any claim that he treats students poorly or dislikes interacting with them.

janwlee

Postby janwlee » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:16 am

Can anyone tell me which textbooks Prof. Robert Scott uses for contracts?

Are they:

Contract Law and Theory (2013) by Robert E. Scott (LexisNexis)

Contract Law and Theory: Selected Provisions: Restatement of Contracts and Uniform Commercial Code (2013) by Robert E. Scott(LexisNexis)

any recommendations for supplements would be great as well! many many thanks in advance!! :D

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 am

janwlee wrote:Can anyone tell me which textbooks Prof. Robert Scott uses for contracts?

Are they:

Contract Law and Theory (2013) by Robert E. Scott (LexisNexis)

Contract Law and Theory: Selected Provisions: Restatement of Contracts and Uniform Commercial Code (2013) by Robert E. Scott(LexisNexis)

any recommendations for supplements would be great as well! many many thanks in advance!! :D

The first one is the real textbook, the second one is the restatement and UCC. You'll need both.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:13 am

Kraus grades are up; it's only been 2.5 weeks since the final.

Hope nobody had their break spoiled.

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:15 am

i have a feeling all of my profs will be waiting until the 15th to post grades

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:10 pm

jrc223 wrote:i have a feeling all of my profs will be waiting until the 15th to post grades

Isn't that just when they're due from professors to the Registrar, and then they kick them back to the professors with our names attached?

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
jrc223 wrote:i have a feeling all of my profs will be waiting until the 15th to post grades

Isn't that just when they're due from professors to the Registrar, and then they kick them back to the professors with our names attached?

crap you're probably right
that's worse

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Wake up to "a grade is available" email from the Registrar

Heart attack

It's Legal Research

Goddammit

everton125

Postby everton125 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:52 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Kraus grades are up; it's only been 2.5 weeks since the final.

Hope nobody had their break spoiled.

Consequence of his one essay at 1000 words max approach. He hardly had anything to read.

thisone2014

Postby thisone2014 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:56 pm

wow that was fast.

Have any other 1L classes gotten grades back yet?

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:12 pm

i've gotten my small section grade back. pretty small class so the prof didn't really have much to read.

thisone2014

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby thisone2014 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:58 pm

dabigchina wrote:i've gotten my small section grade back. pretty small class so the prof didn't really have much to read.

oh shit i had no idea it was possible to get grades back so quickly :shock:

Any idea when the big section grades will probably start coming out?

dabigchina

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:01 pm

thisone2014 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:i've gotten my small section grade back. pretty small class so the prof didn't really have much to read.

oh shit i had no idea it was possible to get grades back so quickly :shock:

Any idea when the big section grades will probably start coming out?

No idea. I do know the registrar emailed me 24 hours after the grades were posted so I would save your time and just wait for the email.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”