Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:11 am

relative wrote:How difficult is it to get registrar to approve written work extension?


Depends entirely on the prof

relative
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 1:49 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby relative » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:20 pm

.
Last edited by relative on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 pm

As a 2L/3L, how hard should we be working in comparison to 1L wrt exam prep. Asking for a friend.

User avatar
White Dwarf
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby White Dwarf » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Is there a place I can print my outlines in color? The law library doesn't seem to have color printing, and I only get the $2 weekly quota at other places.

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:16 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Is there a place I can print my outlines in color? The law library doesn't seem to have color printing, and I only get the $2 weekly quota at other places.


There's a color printer in the 3rd floor printing room outside the library. It doesn't print two sided though

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22049
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Nebby » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:35 am

The new password reqs are dumb as fuck. Like jesus, we aren't storing peoples medical and credit information on our damn CLS accounts--why the fuck do we have such strict password requirements now. I'm on my third attempt of finding a password that works...

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Nebby wrote:The new password reqs are dumb as fuck. Like jesus, we aren't storing peoples medical and credit information on our damn CLS accounts--why the fuck do we have such strict password requirements now. I'm on my third attempt of finding a password that works...

Yeah it's pretty insane. Not to mention they already require us to have different passwords and usernames depending on if we're logging into lion mail or lawnet and the email password has to change like every 3 months or something.

User avatar
White Dwarf
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby White Dwarf » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:09 pm

almondjoy wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:Is there a place I can print my outlines in color? The law library doesn't seem to have color printing, and I only get the $2 weekly quota at other places.


There's a color printer in the 3rd floor printing room outside the library. It doesn't print two sided though


Thank you!

May or may not have printed off 116 pages of mis-formatted outline before I realized the lab computers were screwing up my layouts.

kingpin101
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby kingpin101 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:43 am

White Dwarf wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:Is there a place I can print my outlines in color? The law library doesn't seem to have color printing, and I only get the $2 weekly quota at other places.


There's a color printer in the 3rd floor printing room outside the library. It doesn't print two sided though


Thank you!

May or may not have printed off 116 pages of mis-formatted outline before I realized the lab computers were screwing up my layouts.

Why did you make a 116 outline in the first place...?

User avatar
White Dwarf
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby White Dwarf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:03 am

I printed all 3 at once. A solid third of that is just Civ Pro/Contracts rules anyway.

playwright
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby playwright » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:09 am

almondjoy wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:Is there a place I can print my outlines in color? The law library doesn't seem to have color printing, and I only get the $2 weekly quota at other places.


There's a color printer in the 3rd floor printing room outside the library. It doesn't print two sided though


It does print two sided, but you have to manually feed it back to print the second page.

User avatar
maroon175
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby maroon175 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:16 pm

does a high pass in LPW mean anything?

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:09 pm

maroon175 wrote:does a high pass in LPW mean anything?

No. I only had one interviewer even bring it up during EIP and it was in the context of, "So I saw you got a high pass in the Fall and a regular pass in the Spring. What happened?"

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22049
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:20 pm

almondjoy wrote:
maroon175 wrote:does a high pass in LPW mean anything?

No. I only had one interviewer even bring it up during EIP and it was in the context of, "So I saw you got a high pass in the Fall and a regular pass in the Spring. What happened?"

Got the CB. 8)

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:27 pm

Nebby wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
maroon175 wrote:does a high pass in LPW mean anything?

No. I only had one interviewer even bring it up during EIP and it was in the context of, "So I saw you got a high pass in the Fall and a regular pass in the Spring. What happened?"

Got the CB. 8)

lol I don't remember the outcome. I do remember trying to laugh the question off but then realizing the interviewer was deadpan and expecting an actual explanation for my declining legal writing skillz.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:53 pm

almondjoy wrote:
Nebby wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
maroon175 wrote:does a high pass in LPW mean anything?

No. I only had one interviewer even bring it up during EIP and it was in the context of, "So I saw you got a high pass in the Fall and a regular pass in the Spring. What happened?"

Got the CB. 8)

lol I don't remember the outcome. I do remember trying to laugh the question off but then realizing the interviewer was deadpan and expecting an actual explanation for my declining legal writing skillz.


no one knows or cares about p/hp

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15523
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:42 pm

I had one guy notice because he used to teach LPW. Did not get a callback.

john_brown
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby john_brown » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:15 am

Anyone ever audited an undergrad class? Not for credit - just an interest in the subject.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22049
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:39 am

john_brown wrote:Anyone ever audited an undergrad class? Not for credit - just an interest in the subject.

Fundamentals of Young Puntang?

4/5, would do again.

nahmjun
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:00 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby nahmjun » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:36 pm

I recently got admitted via ED to Columbia and now am sitting at home wondering about the joys and glories that lie ahead (not really)

I do have a handful of questions for y'all awesome Columbia people:

1) Admission Packet & Hamilton

I know that ED applicants are usually shooed away from financial aid, but is there a chance that I may be eligible for the fellowships? I only received the admission email, and haven't received my admission packet yet... How does Hamilton/Butler work? If it isn't mentioned on my email, then no-no?
(also, any idea as to when the packet will arrive?)

2) Scholarship Grants

So I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole loan component thing. I'm not a US citizen/greencard holder so I'm not eligible for FAFSA. To receive scholarship grants, do I HAVE to take out loans? (cuz then I'd have to go through the hassle of securing a US cosigner and taking out private loan with decent interest rates...) Is there any way to receive scholarship grants and grants only? I might be able to secure the rest..

3) Recommendations on what to do before law school? I quit my internship last week and started tutoring gigs. (much more lucrative)

dabigchina
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Nebby wrote:The new password reqs are dumb as fuck. Like jesus, we aren't storing peoples medical and credit information on our damn CLS accounts--why the fuck do we have such strict password requirements now. I'm on my third attempt of finding a password that works...

I love how they emailed me 2 times a day until i changed my password to reflect the new rules/make password recovery answers.

dabigchina
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:00 pm

nahmjun wrote:I recently got admitted via ED to Columbia and now am sitting at home wondering about the joys and glories that lie ahead (not really)

I do have a handful of questions for y'all awesome Columbia people:

1) Admission Packet & Hamilton

I know that ED applicants are usually shooed away from financial aid, but is there a chance that I may be eligible for the fellowships? I only received the admission email, and haven't received my admission packet yet... How does Hamilton/Butler work? If it isn't mentioned on my email, then no-no?
(also, any idea as to when the packet will arrive?)

2) Scholarship Grants

So I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole loan component thing. I'm not a US citizen/greencard holder so I'm not eligible for FAFSA. To receive scholarship grants, do I HAVE to take out loans? (cuz then I'd have to go through the hassle of securing a US cosigner and taking out private loan with decent interest rates...) Is there any way to receive scholarship grants and grants only? I might be able to secure the rest..

3) Recommendations on what to do before law school? I quit my internship last week and started tutoring gigs. (much more lucrative)


1. fellowships come in packets. I want to say the email should have had them too but I don't remember.
2. Columbia technically doesn't have "scholarships". You either get a fellowship or you get "need based aid" which looks strangely like scholarships. It seems weird to screw you over for not being a citizen so I would ask the finaid people.
3. Have fun. Read the guides for how to be successful in law school that are posted on these forums.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22049
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:22 pm

nahmjun wrote:3) Recommendations on what to do before law school? I quit my internship last week and started tutoring gigs. (much more lucrative)

Hit the weight room to continue CLS' record of most swole Ivy law school.

dabigchina
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Nebby wrote:
nahmjun wrote:3) Recommendations on what to do before law school? I quit my internship last week and started tutoring gigs. (much more lucrative)

Hit the weight room to continue CLS' record of most swole Ivy law school.


also the weight room here is way too crowded so you should lift while you can.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22049
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:44 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Nebby wrote:
nahmjun wrote:3) Recommendations on what to do before law school? I quit my internship last week and started tutoring gigs. (much more lucrative)

Hit the weight room to continue CLS' record of most swole Ivy law school.


also the weight room here is way too crowded so you should lift while you can.

Hmm true, but, people are usually chill with trading sets with a random, so long as you're built like a truck. (at least, as a truck, that's my experience)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests