Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
blue_c

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby blue_c » Thu May 10, 2012 8:00 pm

jim-green wrote:Ah, that's the thing and that's why I am asking these questions. I don't really know if SV is better than NYC for patent law jobs. Maybe I should try to go to a NYC school and work in New York. I don't really want SV after graduation, I just want the best place. :-)

I'm not a Columbia 1(L), but "best" is a very relative term. Decide what you (and your family) want.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu May 10, 2012 10:02 pm

blue_c wrote:
jim-green wrote:Ah, that's the thing and that's why I am asking these questions. I don't really know if SV is better than NYC for patent law jobs. Maybe I should try to go to a NYC school and work in New York. I don't really want SV after graduation, I just want the best place. :-)

I'm not a Columbia 1(L), but "best" is a very relative term. Decide what you (and your family) want.
If you and so many others keep harping on location, where I want to live and work, my family, then I guess it must mean something. I may not be thinking abut this right. Let me do some thinking.

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Fri May 11, 2012 11:54 am

Got my housing assignment today! 535 west 113th and broadway...any comments good or bad about this spot?

hopefull2012

Postby hopefull2012 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:39 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:Got my housing assignment today! 535 west 113th and broadway...any comments good or bad about this spot?

Same question for 501 W 121st. I'm very excited to have such low rent so close but that also scares me.
Last edited by hopefull2012 on Fri May 11, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:39 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:Got my housing assignment today! 535 west 113th and broadway...any comments good or bad about this spot?

Great spot. Close to bars, restaurants, and grocery stores. Three blocks from subway in either direction and about a 5 min walk to the law school.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm

hopefull2012 wrote:

Same question for 501 W 121st. I'm very excited to have such low rent so close but that also scares me.

Stay out of morningside park at night. Other than the shootings, muggins, and drug bags all over the park, it is a decent location.

Ivybellarose

Postby Ivybellarose » Fri May 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi! I received my housing assignment this morning and am extremely unhappy with it. I was very particular about my preferences in the comments section, but it feels like they ignored everything I wrote and just assigned me the first 2 bedroom apartment share they had. Anyway, I've begged everyone from the law school housing liason to the general UAH housing staff to assign me a new apartment considering how poorly matched my first one is to what I requested (seriously, the only thing they got right was the 2 bedroom part. Price and everything else seems like it was completely overlooked).

Anyway, I have 4 days to decide whether or not to accept the offer. It seems like my only options are either to decline it and go on the waitlist in hopes of getting a new assignment, or to accept it and be miserable until October, when I can enter the transfer lottery. Anybody have any experience with either the wait list or the transfer lottery? I have a limited amount of time to decide, and I'm stressing out because I don't really know what my chances are with either. I'm not too particular anymore, as I feel like practically anything would be better than what I was assigned.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri May 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Ivybellarose wrote:Hi! I received my housing assignment this morning and am extremely unhappy with it. I was very particular about my preferences in the comments section, but it feels like they ignored everything I wrote and just assigned me the first 2 bedroom apartment share they had. Anyway, I've begged everyone from the law school housing liason to the general UAH housing staff to assign me a new apartment considering how poorly matched my first one is to what I requested (seriously, the only thing they got right was the 2 bedroom part. Price and everything else seems like it was completely overlooked).

Anyway, I have 4 days to decide whether or not to accept the offer. It seems like my only options are either to decline it and go on the waitlist in hopes of getting a new assignment, or to accept it and be miserable until October, when I can enter the transfer lottery. Anybody have any experience with either the wait list or the transfer lottery? I have a limited amount of time to decide, and I'm stressing out because I don't really know what my chances are with either. I'm not too particular anymore, as I feel like practically anything would be better than what I was assigned.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

I know some people have better housing than others, but I'm trying to imagine what could be so bad. Want to PM me your situation?

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri May 11, 2012 7:25 pm

hopefull2012 wrote:

Both great locations. Especially 113. Is the 121 Lenfest? or just next to it? And there is nothing about low rent that should scare you. I paid 850 this year for a nice place and will paying double that for a one bedroom with much less space next year. The pricing is super rando

hopefull2012

Postby hopefull2012 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:23 pm

kwais wrote:
hopefull2012 wrote:

Both great locations. Especially 113. Is the 121 Lenfest? or just next to it? And there is nothing about low rent that should scare you. I paid 850 this year for a nice place and will paying double that for a one bedroom with much less space next year. The pricing is super rando

From intense study of google maps, it looks like it is across Amsterdam from Lenfest.

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Sat May 12, 2012 1:58 pm

hopefull2012 wrote:
kwais wrote:
hopefull2012 wrote:

From intense study of google maps, it looks like it is across Amsterdam from Lenfest.

Had a friend who lived at 501 W 121st this year. His apartment was pretty decent, so I wouldn't be too scared.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Sun May 13, 2012 7:59 am

How have I never seen this thread. Tagged

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Mon May 14, 2012 1:10 pm

hopefull2012 wrote:

121st is likely cheaper because it's not that close. while 5 blocks seems like no big deal (and it really is no big deal) in the scheme of pricing it's technically pretty far away. I have a friend that changed from 1 block away to 4 blocks away and cut her housing cost by almost a third. (from about $1200 to about $900 give or take). Ultimately nothing to be worried about, just be glad you have affordable housing :D
Last edited by bazinga! on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

likemike

Postby likemike » Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Are you generally allowed to make changes to the apartment you are assigned by UAH? Paint? Put holes in the wall, etc.?

Thanks

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Do you guys know if my girlfriend and I will have to show proof of having lived together when we move in? I asked for, and received couples housing but haven't been asked to provide anything.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Wed May 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Do you guys know if my girlfriend and I will have to show proof of having lived together when we move in? I asked for, and received couples housing but haven't been asked to provide anything.

Yes, when my SO and I moved in, they were looking for a marriage license, joint bank account, or a similar document to show that we were together. We didn't have any of those but we did have a joint credit card for four months and a prior lease that we were on together. They approved us with just those two things.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed May 16, 2012 9:41 pm

likemike wrote:Are you generally allowed to make changes to the apartment you are assigned by UAH? Paint? Put holes in the wall, etc.?

Thanks

I've lived in UAH housing for a year and I'd still like to know the answer to this.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:36 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Do you guys know if my girlfriend and I will have to show proof of having lived together when we move in? I asked for, and received couples housing but haven't been asked to provide anything.

Yes, when my SO and I moved in, they were looking for a marriage license, joint bank account, or a similar document to show that we were together. We didn't have any of those but we did have a joint credit card for four months and a prior lease that we were on together. They approved us with just those two things.

Yeah this is what kept me from doing couple's housing. The options are:

ONE of the following items:
-Documentation of marriage or domestic partnership.
-Joint mortgage or lease.
-Documentation showing, for a period of at least six months prior to the application for housing, an actively used joint bank account, joint credit account, or joint ownership of a motor vehicle.

Or

TWO items documenting that the applicant and his/her partner have resided together at the same address for a period of at least six months prior to the application for housing (such as drivers' license, voters' registration, utility bills, etc.).

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Is there a gym on campus? Pool for lap swimming? What are they like? What are they named (so I can look them up)?

Corrupty

Postby Corrupty » Sat May 19, 2012 7:18 pm

http://dodgefitnesscenter.com/

Their membership page says that membership should be included in law school tuition, but every law student I asked said I needed to buy a pass.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat May 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Corrupty wrote:http://dodgefitnesscenter.com/

Their membership page says that membership should be included in law school tuition, but every law student I asked said I needed to buy a pass.

I didn't, you just swipe in with your student ID.

Corrupty

Postby Corrupty » Sat May 19, 2012 9:31 pm

piccolittle wrote:

I didn't, you just swipe in with your student ID.

That's good to hear.

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:21 pm

You only need to spend money if you want a locker.

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Mon May 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey guys, thanks so much for answering questions.
Had a question on 420 116th (I know some questions have been asked). Any comments on the layouts of the one bedrooms? They didn't have a floor plan (I know they'll all be different) but just wanted to get an idea of what they look like. Are the insides pretty nice/well kept? Any windows? Thanks! Any pics or comments would be great.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:36 pm

It's been posted before, but the gym is pretty crappy, so you've been warned. Does anyone know if we have to pay for the university gym for the summer btw?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”