Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jrc223
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Courseworks no longer lists Torts under my list of current semester courses--could this be just a system error, or do you guys think I might be getting moved into a different torts section? Should I call anyone about this?

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 pm

jrc223 wrote:Courseworks no longer lists Torts under my list of current semester courses--could this be just a system error, or do you guys think I might be getting moved into a different torts section? Should I call anyone about this?


Is it still on your Lawnet schedule? If so, I would guess the Courseworks issue is just your professor messing with/up the class site in preparation for getting started next week.

jrc223
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:50 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
jrc223 wrote:Courseworks no longer lists Torts under my list of current semester courses--could this be just a system error, or do you guys think I might be getting moved into a different torts section? Should I call anyone about this?


Is it still on your Lawnet schedule? If so, I would guess the Courseworks issue is just your professor messing with/up the class site in preparation for getting started next week.


Ah, good call. Yeah my Lawnet schedule still has me listed in the same section as before, so you're probably right. Thanks!

User avatar
cws277
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby cws277 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:20 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Doubt I'll get off the waitlist, but I'm confused about Livingston's criminal adjudications - it shows two different time slots (I'm guessing different sections) but doesn't say which you're waitlisted for. Also for some reason it's already showing up in Courseworks as a class I'm registered for.

The answer to this question is in the course description. There is only one section of that class. Judge Livingston reserves 5 hours during the week for a 3 hour class so that the class times can be moved around depending on her court schedule.

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:32 am

So if we're just getting notifications that our loans have been applied to our Columbia tuition and accounts, how long will it take for the remainder to be deposited in our bank accounts. Rent is due and I don't live in Columbia housing...

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:35 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:My status for Cap Markets Reg is "Seat Reserved" (but it's not listed on my schedule in lawnet). What does this mean?

Bump. Anyone know what this means? Thanks

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:My status for Cap Markets Reg is "Seat Reserved" (but it's not listed on my schedule in lawnet). What does this mean?

Bump. Anyone know what this means? Thanks


It means that you can add it to your schedule and they are saving a seat for you for a limited time. However, for some reason, likely a time conflict, you need to take some action before it can be added to your schedule, such as dropping the class that you are currently scheduled for that conflicts with it.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:52 am

mylifeis24 wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:My status for Cap Markets Reg is "Seat Reserved" (but it's not listed on my schedule in lawnet). What does this mean?

Bump. Anyone know what this means? Thanks


It means that you can add it to your schedule and they are saving a seat for you for a limited time. However, for some reason, likely a time conflict, you need to take some action before it can be added to your schedule, such as dropping the class that you are currently scheduled for that conflicts with it.

Got it - thanks!

TheoO
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby TheoO » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:19 am

Who the hell gave the okay to make the law school all white? It feels like a goddam hospital now.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:22 pm

TheoO wrote:Who the hell gave the okay to make the law school all white? It feels like a goddam hospital now.


We are juris doctors, after all.

TheoO
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby TheoO » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:07 pm

So looking for advice on the following classes

Corp (Goshen)
Evidence (Capra)
Fed Income Tax (Avino)
Conflict of Laws (Monaghan)

I already know that for the last class, I'm gonna be learning on my own. But any help with what I should be looking at for each of these classes would be great.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:24 pm

TheoO wrote:So looking for advice on the following classes

Corp (Goshen)
Evidence (Capra)
Fed Income Tax (Avino)
Conflict of Laws (Monaghan)

I already know that for the last class, I'm gonna be learning on my own. But any help with what I should be looking at for each of these classes would be great.


Literally don't go to Capra's class. You'll walk out more confused than when you came in.

Monaghan's just gonna tell you stories about how dumb judges were in the '50s and how he talked about Case X with some dickhead at Yale 40 years ago. But it doesn't matter because there is literally about two paragraphs of black letter in the whole course. My entire outline was like a page and a half.

TheoO
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby TheoO » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Not going to class and minimal readings seem fantastic.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Miss Goshen's class too often and he'll come after you. Try to at least be there a couple times when you're on call.

TheoO
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby TheoO » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Is the E&E for Corp legit to use in case of Goshen's class?

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12654
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby smaug » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Monaghan is the GOAT.

User avatar
ForgotMyPassword
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ForgotMyPassword » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Was wondering if anyone has advice for Evidence with Shechtman or Patents with Edgar?

Overall I got lucky and wound up in every class I wanted, looking forward to this semester!

User avatar
cws277
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby cws277 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
TheoO wrote:So looking for advice on the following classes

Corp (Goshen)
Evidence (Capra)
Fed Income Tax (Avino)
Conflict of Laws (Monaghan)

I already know that for the last class, I'm gonna be learning on my own. But any help with what I should be looking at for each of these classes would be great.


Literally don't go to Capra's class. You'll walk out more confused than when you came in.

Monaghan's just gonna tell you stories about how dumb judges were in the '50s and how he talked about Case X with some dickhead at Yale 40 years ago. But it doesn't matter because there is literally about two paragraphs of black letter in the whole course. My entire outline was like a page and a half.

I disagree with "don't go to Capra's class." If you are a really fast typist, go to class and don't do the readings (less work imo). He actually explains everything really well if you can follow his mile-a-minute lecture style. I did this and got an A.

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8514
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:06 pm

I liked Capra too. Work can be zero if you want it to be. It's not like you're getting cold called.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21999
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Nebby » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Yo, any 2Ls/3Ls received your direct deposit yet? I was notified it was dispersed and sent out last week but still nothing. :<

john_brown
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby john_brown » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:48 pm

ForgotMyPassword wrote:Was wondering if anyone has advice for Evidence with Shechtman or Patents with Edgar?

Overall I got lucky and wound up in every class I wanted, looking forward to this semester!


Re: Evidence with Shechtman -- every section in the coursepack has practice questions (true/false, admissible/not-admissible, multiple choice etc.) that he takes up in the class. Make sure you read these in advance, think about them and mark down your answers. Then pay close attention in class not only to the answer but to the explanation. If you can master these, you'll be fine for the exam.

But more generally, just enjoy it. He is far and away the best professor I've had in law school and possibly the best ever.

GoneSouth
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:15 pm

2Ls and 3Ls: How much should we prepare for/care about the Legal Methods exam?

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:18 pm

GoneSouth wrote:2Ls and 3Ls: How much should we prepare for/care about the Legal Methods exam?

Not at all.

ETA: maybe I should hedge a bit and say it depends on the professor. From what I gather some LM tests are more substantive than others, but even then I'd say put in minimal effort at most.

TheoO
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby TheoO » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:35 pm

GoneSouth wrote:2Ls and 3Ls: How much should we prepare for/care about the Legal Methods exam?


You're pretty much assured a pass.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21999
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Nebby » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Someone pleeeeeeeeease link me to where I can unsubscribe to all of these student organization emails.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests