Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nebby

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Nebby » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:45 pm

thisone2014 wrote:Have any 3Ls participated in any of the externships and have any thoughts on them? I'm curious to know if participation is common, valuable, competitive, a waste of time, interesting, etc.

It's dependent upon what you want to do. If you want to do PI or government, then they're basically mandatory if you want to make yourself a competitive applicant. It's really based upon you and want you want. There are people that just want to cruise control after EIP, do it's obviously a waste for them.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Loan disbursement date 8/31... looks like it's coming even later than Sept 2nd this year. Now I gotta cash advance on my credit card at a .5% fee to pay my Sept rent on time. Ugh

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm

thisone2014 wrote:Have any 3Ls participated in any of the externships and have any thoughts on them? I'm curious to know if participation is common, valuable, competitive, a waste of time, interesting, etc.

I did the SDNY externship and I found it rewarding. It winds up taking more time than a regular class, but come finals, you're happy to have one less to worry about.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:14 pm

What is a "reserved" seat, in regards to courses we are waitlisted for?

papercut

Postby papercut » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:56 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:What is a "reserved" seat, in regards to courses we are waitlisted for?

My guess was that they need seats for TAs and visiting students.

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
MCFC wrote: Another thing to consider is that the library usually has a copy of the current text book. You can go there and just scan the reading for the week. That's what I did 2L year and it was pretty great. Though maybe the fact that I did the reading at all 2L year is a mark against me...

TCR is to find a few friends, each scan a full casebook, and email all the scans to each other. Saves money and your back all year. This does, however, require you to make at least two friends.

+1. Don't understand why more people don't do this.

Is that even legal?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:02 am

kartelite wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:
MCFC wrote: Another thing to consider is that the library usually has a copy of the current text book. You can go there and just scan the reading for the week. That's what I did 2L year and it was pretty great. Though maybe the fact that I did the reading at all 2L year is a mark against me...

TCR is to find a few friends, each scan a full casebook, and email all the scans to each other. Saves money and your back all year. This does, however, require you to make at least two friends.

Is that even legal?

Typically no.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Nebby wrote:
kartelite wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:

Is that even legal?

Typically no.

Scanning is. Emailing the scans probably isn't. But if I gave a shit about copyright law I'd be (a) a better student, and (b) $200 poorer per course.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:01 am

Anyone here have any experience with the Domestic Violence Project? Is it worthwhile in terms of getting practical experience? And, is it too much of a time-suck for a first semester 1L?

I'm PI-focused, with ADA as my most likely choice.

papercut

Postby papercut » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:29 am

I know someone who participated in the DMP. She loved it. Generally, you should be completely fine with at least one activity during 1L.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:32 am

White Dwarf wrote:Anyone here have any experience with the Domestic Violence Project? Is it worthwhile in terms of getting practical experience? And, is it too much of a time-suck for a first semester 1L?

I'm PI-focused, with ADA as my most likely choice.

DVP has some amazing people in it. You'll like it.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Any recommendations on places for a guy to get a haircut?

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:05 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Any recommendations on places for a guy to get a haircut?

There's a pretty great barber shop on broadway just north of 121st. Around 17 bucks I think but they do a really good job. I forget the actual name though..

AdamDeMamp

Postby AdamDeMamp » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:15 pm

almondjoy wrote:

There's a pretty great barber shop on broadway just north of 121st. Around 17 bucks I think but they do a really good job. I forget the actual name though..

There's also a good place at 100th and broadway for those who live further south of school

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:23 pm

AdamDeMamp wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

There's also a good place at 100th and broadway for those who live further south of school

Also Sam's on Amsterdam around 106th is $14 for a decent mens cut.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:23 pm

almondjoy wrote:

Columbia Barbershop (used to be Generations Barbershop). Ask for Rubin.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:08 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

Wasn't wild about this place when I went. Maybe it was just my barber, but they weren't too friendly and the guy kept clipping my ear.

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:48 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

Wasn't wild about this place when I went. Maybe it was just my barber, but they weren't too friendly and the guy kept clipping my ear.

Also not a huge fan of Columbia Barbershop. I've started going to a Barbershop on 80th. A bit of trek, but well worth it. It lives up to its Yelp reviews - they do a great job for a decent price.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:47 am

Juanito's around 104th and Broadway is another cheap ($15) option in the area.

papercut

Postby papercut » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:33 am

Anyone know how much movement to expect on a class waitlist? I'm in the low teens for a class of about 100 and am wondering what my chances are of getting it off the waitlist. Thanks!

AdamDeMamp

Postby AdamDeMamp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:47 am

papercut wrote:Anyone know how much movement to expect on a class waitlist? I'm in the low teens for a class of about 100 and am wondering what my chances are of getting it off the waitlist. Thanks!

Low teens I would expect to get in generally. Last year I got in to a 100 person class when I was 50 on the waitlist or something like that

papercut

Postby papercut » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:48 am

Awesome. Thanks!

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:55 am

My status for Cap Markets Reg is "Seat Reserved" (but it's not listed on my schedule). What does this mean?

zcobb

Postby zcobb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:14 pm

If a class you prefer, but are waitlisted for, is at the same time as a class you are currently registered for, do you have to drop the class you are currently registered for to get off the waitlist?

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:41 pm

Doubt I'll get off the waitlist, but I'm confused about Livingston's criminal adjudications - it shows two different time slots (I'm guessing different sections) but doesn't say which you're waitlisted for. Also for some reason it's already showing up in Courseworks as a class I'm registered for.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”