Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jrc223

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:16 pm

MCFC wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:When are loan disbursements supposed to be made this semester?

Last year I got an email on 8/26 saying the loan had been disbursed. So I would hope in the next 10 days or so?

I got an email on Saturday I think from fedloan servicing that said my loans had been disbursed to Columbia on the 13th. I'm just hoping to get the refund soon :/

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:38 pm

Got my refund this morning.

For classes I have Genty (Civ Pro), Kraus (Contracts), and Ben-Asher (Torts). Any thoughts/suggestions/warnings on those three would be greatly appreciated.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:40 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Got my refund this morning.

For classes I have Genty (Civ Pro), Kraus (Contracts), and Ben-Asher (Torts). Any thoughts/suggestions/warnings on those three would be greatly appreciated.

lol. use the search function for jody kraus. god speed.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:53 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
MCFC wrote: Another thing to consider is that the library usually has a copy of the current text book. You can go there and just scan the reading for the week. That's what I did 2L year and it was pretty great. Though maybe the fact that I did the reading at all 2L year is a mark against me...

TCR is to find a few friends, each scan a full casebook, and email all the scans to each other. Saves money and your back all year. This does, however, require you to make at least two friends.

+1. Don't understand why more people don't do this. You save thousands of dollars, don't have to lug huge casebooks around, and have word-searchable pdf's of all of your assigned readings (as well as the option to print everything for free, if you'd prefer). Literally no downside, besides the small amount of time it takes to scan (but the CLS library has legit scanners that make it very easy and quick).

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 am

Anyone know when 2L/3Ls get our schedules? I think it was supposed to be yesterday...

cws277

Postby cws277 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 am

MCFC wrote:Anyone know when 2L/3Ls get our schedules? I think it was supposed to be yesterday...

Based on past tradition, I suspect today. Classes start three weeks from today.

zcobb

Postby zcobb » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:41 pm

So I am currently enrolled in only 8 hours for this upcoming semester. How easy is it to add hours during the drop/add period?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:42 pm

cws277 wrote:
MCFC wrote:Anyone know when 2L/3Ls get our schedules? I think it was supposed to be yesterday...

it's frankly absurd how late we get our class schedules relative to every other school.

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Has anyone done a class at NYU or CBS through cross-registration? I want to broaden my horizons a little in 3L. Would appreciate any input/recommendations.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
cws277 wrote:

it's frankly absurd how late we get our class schedules relative to every other school.

In case people haven't realized this already, classes are up. This notwithstanding the fact that the Registrar sent out two emails after classes were already up neither of which mentioned that classes were up.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:32 pm

I was thinking about trying an NYU class but that August 26th start date looks pretty rough.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:16 pm

zcobb wrote:So I am currently enrolled in only 8 hours for this upcoming semester. How easy is it to add hours during the drop/add period?

Also interested in this.

playwright

Postby playwright » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
MCFC wrote: Another thing to consider is that the library usually has a copy of the current text book. You can go there and just scan the reading for the week. That's what I did 2L year and it was pretty great. Though maybe the fact that I did the reading at all 2L year is a mark against me...

TCR is to find a few friends, each scan a full casebook, and email all the scans to each other. Saves money and your back all year. This does, however, require you to make at least two friends.

+1. Don't understand why more people don't do this. You save thousands of dollars, don't have to lug huge casebooks around, and have word-searchable pdf's of all of your assigned readings (as well as the option to print everything for free, if you'd prefer). Literally no downside, besides the small amount of time it takes to scan (but the CLS library has legit scanners that make it very easy and quick).

For 1L classes, would you recommend scanning only the assigned readings?
Have no idea how much time it would take to scan hundreds of pages.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:32 pm

playwright wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:

just assigned

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:48 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
zcobb wrote:So I am currently enrolled in only 8 hours for this upcoming semester. How easy is it to add hours during the drop/add period?

Also interested in this.

Easy.

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:18 pm

playwright wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:

Copyright

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:21 pm

playwright wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:

+1 Copyright.

Also, please look on the 3rd floor reserves of JG. You'll find at least three copies of every casebook used by anyone at CLS there. There are three copies of the textbook for my Evidence class... which is being taught by a visiting professor. The library is excellent at providing these things.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:23 pm

I really wish FinAid dispersed upper class financial aid at the same time as 1Ls. Rent due September 1st, and I know the damn thing isn't going to be in my bank account until September 2. :|

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:32 pm

Nebby wrote:I really wish FinAid dispersed upper class financial aid at the same time as 1Ls. Rent due September 1st, and I know the damn thing isn't going to be in my bank account until September 2. :|

Is this knowledge actually a fact or just pessimistic intuition? In a similar boat.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Nebby wrote:I really wish FinAid dispersed upper class financial aid at the same time as 1Ls. Rent due September 1st, and I know the damn thing isn't going to be in my bank account until September 2. :|

I paid my June rent like last week. One day isn't a problem.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 pm

I paid my June rent like last week. One day isn't a problem.

Could be a non-university landlord tho. I've paid my rent like 4 months late before but thats cause columbiahousinglol

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:41 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:

Is this knowledge actually a fact or just pessimistic intuition? In a similar boat.

Happened last year to me. Wasn't in bank account til Sept 2.

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Fellow 2Ls or 3Ls: Anyone know how we can tell which classes are full (or how many are registered for a class) for add/drop? I'm looking through the Registrar's curriculum guide and it doesn't seem to have that info.

thisone2014

Postby thisone2014 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Have any 3Ls participated in any of the externships and have any thoughts on them? I'm curious to know if participation is common, valuable, competitive, a waste of time, interesting, etc.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:41 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Fellow 2Ls or 3Ls: Anyone know how we can tell which classes are full (or how many are registered for a class) for add/drop? I'm looking through the Registrar's curriculum guide and it doesn't seem to have that info.

The add drop module, when it becomes available, will tell you if it's full or not. Also tells you how many are registered.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”