Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MCFC

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:34 pm

It goes on your school ID too, if that matters.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Stupid question, but does the photo we upload for the CLS Facebook/id whatever, get used for anything important like employer resume books or something like that? Can I just take a photo in a t shirt and upload it or am I going to want to be shaved and not be in a tshirt?

Anyone who looks you up on the internal CLS database will see it. That includes students, faculty and I think alumni.

I think most people use a professional looking photo - not professionally done, just business or at least business casual dress, shaven, ect.

Yeah this was basically my question. Thanks for the help, gonna try and look presentable and take a pic.

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Well, I've accepted an offer to transfer in. For those of you who are 2L/3Ls, I'll be in a few of your classes. Look forward to meeting anyone.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Do you have to bring your own wireless router for Lenfest or does the whole building have WiFi?

asics4381

Postby asics4381 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:58 am

How difficult would it be to participate in extracurriculars if your commuting 1:15 each way on the train each day in your opinion? Do most hold meetings late in the evening/weekends?

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:04 am

asics4381 wrote:How difficult would it be to participate in extracurriculars if your commuting 1:15 each way on the train each day in your opinion? Do most hold meetings late in the evening/weekends?

Highly recommend you do not live this far away, at least not for your 1L year. There are always activities every night, be they club meetings in the evening or bar outings at night.

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 pm

is there any sort of pecking order to the non-LR journals? Any strongly recommended ones to go for or ones that do interesting work?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:16 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:is there any sort of pecking order to the non-LR journals? Any strongly recommended ones to go for or ones that do interesting work?

No pecking order. If you want less work look for one that doesn't require a note. If you have a note topic you really want to explore then obviously a journal in that area makes sense.

Also I wasn't on it but did some of my pro bono hours through the Jailhouse Lawyer's Manual, which is under the Human Rights Journal, and they do some pretty cool stuff.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:16 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:is there any sort of pecking order to the non-LR journals? Any strongly recommended ones to go for or ones that do interesting work?

just do whatever topic you'd be most interested in writing a note/publishing in and reading about on a somewhat regular basis

smaug

Postby smaug » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

No pecking order. If you want less work look for one that doesn't require a note. If you have a note topic you really want to explore then obviously a journal in that area makes sense.

Also I wasn't on it but did some of my pro bono hours through the Jailhouse Lawyer's Manual, which is under the Human Rights Journal, and they do some pretty cool stuff.

Important note—if you're on the JLM you can't do it for pro bono.

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:26 pm

thanks everyone, good info

jrush

Postby jrush » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Anybody in DC going to the Happy Hour tomorrow night?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

just do whatever topic you'd be most interested in writing a note/publishing in and reading about on a somewhat regular basis

Ie., if you're not interested in any of them, then please done waste our time. Last thing I need are 2L turds who wanted some *legal scholarship* on their EIP resume, but sucks as a staffer because they don't care.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:55 pm

What's orientation like?

I'm still a bit traumatized from my undergrad's two-day 200-question "icebreaker" + mandatory skit participation ordeal. Not that I'm particularly socially awkward, I just hate that kind of stuff.

J90

Postby J90 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:07 pm

White Dwarf wrote:What's orientation like?

I'm still a bit traumatized from my undergrad's two-day 200-question "icebreaker" + mandatory skit participation ordeal. Not that I'm particularly socially awkward, I just hate that kind of stuff.

It's fine. You'll be alright with it, I think.

I believe there's a Community Service Day the day before, and orientation itself I remember being getting a backpack, finding out your schedule, then a presentation or two. No mandatory skits nor huge icebreakers. Legal Methods itself is sort of like a long, long orientation, as the school gives all the clubs some money to host events and there's usually at least one thing going on each night after the (meager) classes.

papercut

Postby papercut » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I only went to the block party for orientation. The block party is awesome. A lot of people enjoyed their community service day stuff too.

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Quick question: The housing office originally gave me a four day window (this Monday-Thursday) to sign my lease, and I chose Monday. Something last minute has come up, however, and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it until Tuesday. I can no longer change my lease date online, so it seems like my only option is to call on Monday and ask if they're flexible. Has anyone had any experience with this/will it be a big deal?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:57 pm

jrc223 wrote:Quick question: The housing office originally gave me a four day window (this Monday-Thursday) to sign my lease, and I chose Monday. Something last minute has come up, however, and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it until Tuesday. I can no longer change my lease date online, so it seems like my only option is to call on Monday and ask if they're flexible. Has anyone had any experience with this/will it be a big deal?

It won't be a big deal.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:10 pm

curlietop86 wrote:if your UAH apartment has ethernet, i'm assuming you only need a router (not a modem). anyone know if this is accurate?

thanks!

yep that's right

Beanie14

Postby Beanie14 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Do people generally get their apartment's wireless internet through CUIT or through Time Warner or something? Thanks!

playwright

Postby playwright » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Another question on wireless internet...

Should each person in an apartment bring a separate router?

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:31 pm

playwright wrote:Another question on wireless internet...

Should each person in an apartment bring a separate router?

You don't need to if you/they share the password of the router. Assuming that the router can handle more than one person being connected to it.

No idea who provides internet service in my UAH building - it's just added on in my monthly rent check. If you have issues with it, you contact CUIT.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:36 pm

So UAH housing isn't part of the eduroam network?

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:25 pm

Can anyone help me out with info on the move-in process? I'm moving into Lenfest on Monday morning and have received no info on where to go, what to do, etc.

Do I go to the housing office first, and if so, where is it?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”