Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby icedflames » Sun May 06, 2012 10:18 am

For the estimated cost of books, is this number a fairly accurate estimate?
For 2011-2012 it was 1518, and for 2012-2013 it is 1550.

Can the textbooks be purchased used (i.e. have no weird access license for some online program)?

User avatar
Kring345
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Kring345 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:38 am

Kring345 wrote:I think Ive seen a few people offer to send pictures of their UAH/CLS apartments. Any one able to PM those pictures to me? Just curious to see. Thanks!

Bump to next page.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby kwais » Sun May 06, 2012 11:52 am

icedflames wrote:For the estimated cost of books, is this number a fairly accurate estimate?
For 2011-2012 it was 1518, and for 2012-2013 it is 1550.

Can the textbooks be purchased used (i.e. have no weird access license for some online program)?


This seems a little high to me, but it's probably fairly close for new books + hornbooks. However, PILF sells books at the beginning of the semester. I think I paid 200 for everything total this semester

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby piccolittle » Sun May 06, 2012 12:11 pm

kwais wrote:
icedflames wrote:For the estimated cost of books, is this number a fairly accurate estimate?
For 2011-2012 it was 1518, and for 2012-2013 it is 1550.

Can the textbooks be purchased used (i.e. have no weird access license for some online program)?


This seems a little high to me, but it's probably fairly close for new books + hornbooks. However, PILF sells books at the beginning of the semester. I think I paid 200 for everything total this semester

Used is the way to go. I have to suppress little evil giggles when I see my classmates going to the campus bookstore to pay way too much money for these casebooks. Just make sure you're getting the right edition. eBay, Amazon, Half.com, TLS, all good resources.

Also, seriously, DO NOT BUY YOUR BOOKS FOR LEGAL METHODS. People shelled out $100+ on a new casebook for Legal Methods and now it sits on their shelves, completely useless. I bought mine for $2 online and it arrived after LM ended, so I did my readings (if I felt like it) in the library. Legal Methods does not matter and some professors recommend 3/4 books, only to have you read one chapter in half of them. Don't do it.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Guchster » Sun May 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Legal methods is hilarious.

We had a student org leader meeting (where I saw a few of you!). The dean mentioned how you won't have a day off to study for your exam in Sept. She said,"Tell them to relax cuz everyone will pass <cue laughs>."

A few of our more obnoxious classmates were concerned legal methods was pas/fail/high pass/low pass. It is not. It is credit/no credit.

If you get a no credit. You retake and it does not go on your record in any capacity. I had a friend who panicked and completely blew her exam. She just went to talk to our prof and he was like, oh it sounds like you learned how to write an exam--and passed her without her having to re-take. So don't take it seriously--think of it as Camp Columbia

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby timbs4339 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Most casebooks (including Legal Methods) are also available on the third floor of JG library in the course reserves section. There are plenty of supplements and hornbooks as well. There is a pdf scanner on that floor as well where you can scan the books and save them to a USB drive.

DO NOT shell out $1,000 to buy hornbooks and supplements for every single class. I made that mistake 1L year before I found the Course Reserves section. I haven't bought a casebook since then.

JamesDean44
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby JamesDean44 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:54 pm

A previous poster had asked the following question, but I think the question got lost in the shuffle:

"According to the website (https://www.law.columbia.edu/null/downl ... le_id=6263), 3% of grads work in the midwest. Is this a result of self-selection, making it ridiculously easy to find a job in Chicago (since you competing with ~12 others) or is there something else at play? Do Chicago firms come for OCI despite the tiny %?"

User avatar
Ship87
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Ship87 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:18 am

JamesDean44 wrote:A previous poster had asked the following question, but I think the question got lost in the shuffle:

"According to the website (https://www.law.columbia.edu/null/downl ... le_id=6263), 3% of grads work in the midwest. Is this a result of self-selection, making it ridiculously easy to find a job in Chicago (since you competing with ~12 others) or is there something else at play? Do Chicago firms come for OCI despite the tiny %?"


I think that almost entirely due to self-selection. Lots of firms based in Chicago or with Chicago offices come to EIP. I think finding a job in Chicago is probably about as hard/easy as finding it NYC, depending on where you're aiming.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby quiver » Mon May 07, 2012 1:34 am

Ship87 wrote:
JamesDean44 wrote:A previous poster had asked the following question, but I think the question got lost in the shuffle:

"According to the website (https://www.law.columbia.edu/null/downl ... le_id=6263), 3% of grads work in the midwest. Is this a result of self-selection, making it ridiculously easy to find a job in Chicago (since you competing with ~12 others) or is there something else at play? Do Chicago firms come for OCI despite the tiny %?"


I think that almost entirely due to self-selection. Lots of firms based in Chicago or with Chicago offices come to EIP. I think finding a job in Chicago is probably about as hard/easy as finding it NYC, depending on where you're aiming.
It should also be noted that, outside of NYC, the general consensus is that there must be some sort of tie to the area.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby echamberlin8 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 am

redsoxfan2495 wrote:I'm kind of disappointed to learn that Chicago has the same silly inferiority complex as NYU.

I've heard professors say that the two big things that attract legal academics are institutional prestige and location. Ask yourself how pathetic the faculty of a T6 school located in Manhattan could possibly be.


I'm a little bit confused by what you mean here. Can you elaborate?

lovefoolosophy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby lovefoolosophy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions!

I got my housing assignment today.
Unfortunately, there wasn't much info available other than the fact that I got a studio in 420 West 116th Street.
I was hoping that I could get some of my questions answered before accepting the assignment.

How big are studios in that building?
Do they range widely in terms of size or are all of them pretty much the same size?
(The reason why I am asking about the size is because I seem to have gotten the high end of the rent for my housing assignment.. :( )
Also, if you live in, or know someone who lives in one, how much do utilities (per month) usually come out to be?
Do we have to pay for the internet separately, or can we get access to Columbia wi-fi?

Any input/info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance! :)

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jim-green » Thu May 10, 2012 8:39 am

Not trying to start a CLS-NYU war here. I am accepted to Boalt, WL at NYU, and reserve at CLS. I am pretty sure I will not go to NYU over Boalt if accepted to NYU (cost of rent near NYU, size of class - bidding to get into classes, quality not much different than Boalt so Boalt's IP overrules NYU - I am patent law). However, if it came down to CLS v. Boalt, I am not so sure. CLS does have a higher academic and lay reputation than Boalt, significantly better law firm placement. I asked this question on the NYU thread and the response I got was there is no difference between NYU and CLS so the advice for NYU (choose Boalt over NYU) applies to CLS too. However, I do not think this is true. I do think for what I am interested in (academic quality, IP program, and law firm placement), CLS is superior to NYU and Boalt, and that quality difference is enough to overrule my patent law interests - I mean Boalt's IP presence in Silicon valley. What would you suggest?

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Guchster » Thu May 10, 2012 11:02 am

jim-green wrote:Not trying to start a CLS-NYU war here. I am accepted to Boalt, WL at NYU, and reserve at CLS. I am pretty sure I will not go to NYU over Boalt if accepted to NYU (cost of rent near NYU, size of class - bidding to get into classes, quality not much different than Boalt so Boalt's IP overrules NYU - I am patent law). However, if it came down to CLS v. Boalt, I am not so sure. CLS does have a higher academic and lay reputation than Boalt, significantly better law firm placement. I asked this question on the NYU thread and the response I got was there is no difference between NYU and CLS so the advice for NYU (choose Boalt over NYU) applies to CLS too. However, I do not think this is true. I do think for what I am interested in (academic quality, IP program, and law firm placement), CLS is superior to NYU and Boalt, and that quality difference is enough to overrule my patent law interests - I mean Boalt's IP presence in Silicon valley. What would you suggest?


Do you want to end up in CA or East Coast? Or does it not matter? How much money did you get from Boalt? What are the most important things to you about your future law schools (in addition to the things listed above).

Our IP program is pretty great. We have a pretty robust course selection. I don't know much about Boalt, though, in general.

But the answer to this is going to be very nuanced (i.e., depending on your needs, monies, and wants), so I'd need more details before I'd give you my opinion.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:11 pm

jim-green wrote:Not trying to start a CLS-NYU war here. I am accepted to Boalt, WL at NYU, and reserve at CLS. I am pretty sure I will not go to NYU over Boalt if accepted to NYU (cost of rent near NYU, size of class - bidding to get into classes, quality not much different than Boalt so Boalt's IP overrules NYU - I am patent law). However, if it came down to CLS v. Boalt, I am not so sure. CLS does have a higher academic and lay reputation than Boalt, significantly better law firm placement. I asked this question on the NYU thread and the response I got was there is no difference between NYU and CLS so the advice for NYU (choose Boalt over NYU) applies to CLS too. However, I do not think this is true. I do think for what I am interested in (academic quality, IP program, and law firm placement), CLS is superior to NYU and Boalt, and that quality difference is enough to overrule my patent law interests - I mean Boalt's IP presence in Silicon valley. What would you suggest?


You are going to be looking for IP jobs after your first year- so the IP program doesn't really matter. CLS has a pretty deep course offerings in the area and a number of professors, check out http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses

likemike
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby likemike » Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I was just assigned to a 1 bedroom in 400 west 119th st.

Is there a way to get some pictures or at least a floor plan to see what this place is like? Can anyone testify to the quality and condition of the apartments here? Size?

Thanks

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby piccolittle » Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
jim-green wrote:Not trying to start a CLS-NYU war here. I am accepted to Boalt, WL at NYU, and reserve at CLS. I am pretty sure I will not go to NYU over Boalt if accepted to NYU (cost of rent near NYU, size of class - bidding to get into classes, quality not much different than Boalt so Boalt's IP overrules NYU - I am patent law). However, if it came down to CLS v. Boalt, I am not so sure. CLS does have a higher academic and lay reputation than Boalt, significantly better law firm placement. I asked this question on the NYU thread and the response I got was there is no difference between NYU and CLS so the advice for NYU (choose Boalt over NYU) applies to CLS too. However, I do not think this is true. I do think for what I am interested in (academic quality, IP program, and law firm placement), CLS is superior to NYU and Boalt, and that quality difference is enough to overrule my patent law interests - I mean Boalt's IP presence in Silicon valley. What would you suggest?


You are going to be looking for IP jobs after your first year- so the IP program doesn't really matter. CLS has a pretty deep course offerings in the area and a number of professors, check out http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses

Something to take into account also is availability of fall and spring semester internships. NY is more pharma-focused, from what I understand, but SV has more tech companies etc that are accessible to Boalt students (depending on the commute). I think they are pretty comparable in terms of IP opportunities, and a lot of my friends are going back to CA and doing patent lit. I would think COA and location should be bigger concerns (for instance, do you have a scholly at Boalt?).

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby kwais » Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 pm

lovefoolosophy wrote:Hi,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions!

I got my housing assignment today.
Unfortunately, there wasn't much info available other than the fact that I got a studio in 420 West 116th Street.
I was hoping that I could get some of my questions answered before accepting the assignment.

How big are studios in that building?
Do they range widely in terms of size or are all of them pretty much the same size?
(The reason why I am asking about the size is because I seem to have gotten the high end of the rent for my housing assignment.. :( )
Also, if you live in, or know someone who lives in one, how much do utilities (per month) usually come out to be?
Do we have to pay for the internet separately, or can we get access to Columbia wi-fi?

Any input/info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance! :)


Hey, I know people in that building. The location is unbeatable. Unfortunately the price is almost completely a function of location. The apartments are not very big. Internet will be included and I think that utilities run about 50-100 per month depending on things like how often you run the A/C.

hopefull2012
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby hopefull2012 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Are people getting emails when they are assigned housing or are you guys just diligently checking the university housing website?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu May 10, 2012 6:28 pm

hopefull2012 wrote:Are people getting emails when they are assigned housing or are you guys just diligently checking the university housing website?


They send an email.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby piccolittle » Thu May 10, 2012 6:28 pm

hopefull2012 wrote:Are people getting emails when they are assigned housing or are you guys just diligently checking the university housing website?

Last year I got an email, and it was later in the month. This is still pretty early for housing, so don't worry if it takes a little while.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jim-green » Thu May 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Guchster wrote:
jim-green wrote:Not trying to start a CLS-NYU war here. I am accepted to Boalt, WL at NYU, and reserve at CLS. I am pretty sure I will not go to NYU over Boalt (cost of rent near NYU, size of class - bidding to get into classes, quality not much different than Boalt so Boalt's IP overrules NYU - I am patent law). However, if it came down to CLS v. Boalt, CLS does have a higher academic and lay reputation than Boalt, significantly better law firm placement.
Do you want to end up in CA or East Coast? How much money did you get from Boalt? What are the most important things to you about your future law schools (in addition to the things listed above).
Our IP program is pretty great. We have a pretty robust course selection.
I want to end up in the Bay Area simply because I am told that is the best place for patent law, and it has a lot of tech firms, so going in-house after working in a firm will be easier. I won't have to move to a new city all over again to go in-house. Does this make sense or is my thinking wrong?
I have no $$ from Boalt and will get none from CLS if I do get in.
The important things to me in a school will be placement for 1L SA positions in law firms in the same city (I have a wife and kid and cannot go to a different city for the summer), 2L position and job in a law firm in the same city as the school and then an in-house position. If the school has a good IP program, that is great, otherwise it should be a good general school at least. Rent should be $1800 or less for an apartment, my wife should be able to get a good biotech job in the city, and we should be able to get daycare.
The reason I am debating between CLS and Boalt is as follows. If the schools are equal such as NYU and Boalt, I'd rather go to Boalt for the IP and Silicon Valley. However, does CLS's quality advantage over Boalt overrule Boalt's location? For example, I'd rather work in SV than NYC, but if I got into Boalt and Yale, I'd choose Yale because Yale's quality difference over Boalt overrule's Boalt's location advantage. Is this true for CLS as well?

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby kwais » Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 pm

jim-green wrote:
Guchster wrote:
jim-green wrote:Not trying to start a CLS-NYU war here. I am accepted to Boalt, WL at NYU, and reserve at CLS. I am pretty sure I will not go to NYU over Boalt (cost of rent near NYU, size of class - bidding to get into classes, quality not much different than Boalt so Boalt's IP overrules NYU - I am patent law). However, if it came down to CLS v. Boalt, CLS does have a higher academic and lay reputation than Boalt, significantly better law firm placement.
Do you want to end up in CA or East Coast? How much money did you get from Boalt? What are the most important things to you about your future law schools (in addition to the things listed above).
Our IP program is pretty great. We have a pretty robust course selection.
I want to end up in the Bay Area simply because I am told that is the best place for patent law, and it has a lot of tech firms, so going in-house after working in a firm will be easier. I won't have to move to a new city all over again to go in-house. Does this make sense or is my thinking wrong?
I have no $$ from Boalt and will get none from CLS if I do get in.
The important things to me in a school will be placement for 1L SA positions in law firms in the same city (I have a wife and kid and cannot go to a different city for the summer), 2L position and job in a law firm in the same city as the school and then an in-house position. If the school has a good IP program, that is great, otherwise it should be a good general school at least. Rent should be $1800 or less for an apartment, my wife should be able to get a good biotech job in the city, and we should be able to get daycare.
The reason I am debating between CLS and Boalt is as follows. If the schools are equal such as NYU and Boalt, I'd rather go to Boalt for the IP and Silicon Valley. However, does CLS's quality advantage over Boalt overrule Boalt's location? For example, I'd rather work in SV than NYC, but if I got into Boalt and Yale, I'd choose Yale because Yale's quality difference over Boalt overrule's Boalt's location advantage. Is this true for CLS as well?


from what you say you want, it sounds like Boalt is the school, though I would caution: I would not predicate any school decision on 1L SA unless you have some strong reason to think you will land one (diversity, offer on the table). In general, CLS has more prestige, but probably not enough to override the many Boalt-related factors you mentioned. Devil's Advocate: Maybe 20 students try for SV IP from CLS whereas maybe 100 from Boalt (totally making these numbers up but you get the idea)

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jim-green » Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 pm

kwais wrote:
jim-green wrote:I want to end up in the Bay Area simply because I am told that is the best place for patent law, so going in-house after working in a firm will be easier.
The important things to me in a school will be placement for 1L SA positions in law firms in the same city, 2L position and job in a law firm in the same city as the school and then an in-house position. If the school has a good IP program, that is great, otherwise it should be a good general school at least. Rent should be $1800 or less for an apartment, my wife should be able to get a good biotech job in the city, and we should be able to get daycare.
However, does CLS's quality advantage over Boalt overrule Boalt's location?
from what you say you want, it sounds like Boalt is the school, though I would caution: I would not predicate any school decision on 1L SA unless you have some strong reason to think you will land one (diversity, offer on the table). In general, CLS has more prestige, but probably not enough to override the many Boalt-related factors you mentioned. Devil's Advocate: Maybe 20 students try for SV IP from CLS whereas maybe 100 from Boalt (totally making these numbers up but you get the idea)
I have taken the patent bar and have 3 patents of my own. I called Boalt's career office and they were encouraging about a 1L SA position doing patent prosecution. But at least I should be able to get a 2L SA. So you say CLS's quality advantage over Boalt does not overrule Boalt's location for my desires in a school? OK. Then maybe I am OK going to Boalt, since as I said, I am on reserve at CLS, so this may never happen.
About the devil's advocate thing you mentioned, will that make it much harder for me to get into SV IP? What my thinking is that if CLS students go to SV for IP after law school, why not go to Boalt in the first place so I don't have to move again after my 3L year.
If my wife has a shitty job for 3 years then we may not mind moving after law school, but if she is settled, i will not want her to move and start again.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby kwais » Thu May 10, 2012 7:27 pm

jim-green wrote:I have taken the patent bar and have 3 patents of my own. I called Boalt's career office and they were encouraging about a 1L SA position doing patent prosecution. But at least I should be able to get a 2L SA. So you say CLS's quality advantage over Boalt does not overrule Boalt's location for my desires in a school? OK. Then maybe I am OK going to Boalt, since as I said, I am on reserve at CLS, so this may never happen.
About the devil's advocate thing you mentioned, will that make it much harder for me to get into SV IP? What my thinking is that if CLS students go to SV for IP after law school, why not go to Boalt in the first place so I don't have to move again after my 3L year.
If my wife has a shitty job for 3 years then we may not mind moving after law school, but if she is settled, i will not want her to move and start again.


Oh, you sound like a great candidate for 1L IP SA. And yeah, if you want SV after graduation it may not make sense to come to New York. I usually try to convince people to come here and we'd be happy to have you, but Boalt seems smart here.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jim-green » Thu May 10, 2012 7:49 pm

kwais wrote:
jim-green wrote:I have taken the patent bar and have 3 patents of my own. I called Boalt's career office and they were encouraging about a 1L SA position doing patent prosecution. About the devil's advocate thing you mentioned, will that make it much harder for me to get into SV IP? What my thinking is that if CLS students go to SV for IP after law school, why not go to Boalt in the first place so I don't have to move again after my 3L year.
If my wife has a shitty job for 3 years then we may not mind moving after law school, but if she is settled, i will not want her to move and start again.
Oh, you sound like a great candidate for 1L IP SA. And yeah, if you want SV after graduation it may not make sense to come to New York. I usually try to convince people to come here and we'd be happy to have you, but Boalt seems smart here.
Ah, that's the thing and that's why I am asking these questions. I don't really know if SV is better than NYC for patent law jobs. Maybe I should try to go to a NYC school and work in New York. I don't really want SV after graduation, I just want the best place. :-)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests