Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
papercut

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby papercut » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:26 pm

It's pretty standard to have to put down a deposit and first month's rent whenever you movie. It's high because we're in Manhattan. But I do sympathize with you. And on the bright side, housing is subsidized by CLS a bit.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:38 am

White Dwarf wrote:
papercut wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:How lenient are they with the housing deposits? There is no way in hell I can drop that kind of money right now.

In general, they are very lenient about nearly everything related to housing (except perhaps location). Just call them up and talk to them about this. It shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. They offered to let me pay just the deposit now, and put off the first month's rent until I get my award money. Not ideal, but I can make it work.

I realize most Columbia students are >= upper-middle class, but dropping nearly $3K at the drop of a hat seems like a big ask.

This has fuck all to do with the socioeconomic status of CLS kids. Pretty much everywhere requires first month's rent and a security deposit. The fact that you find it unaffordable has everything to do with it being Manhattan and CLS not giving a fuck about its students.

BTW, most incoming law students didn't just have $3k lying around either.

SeattleStudent

Postby SeattleStudent » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:22 am

Last edited by SeattleStudent on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:56 am

Last edited by DCfilterDC on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:08 am

Anyone know what the policy is about hanging photos, etc. on the walls in Lenfest?

mmarion44

Postby mmarion44 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:03 am

So I'm a 0L moving into student housing in a little over a week. Anybody know if I'll have access to Columbia facilities (ie gym/weight room) over the remainder of the summer or if I'll have to wait for orientation?

papercut

Postby papercut » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:05 am

mmarion44 wrote:So I'm a 0L moving into student housing in a little over a week. Anybody know if I'll have access to Columbia facilities (ie gym/weight room) over the remainder of the summer or if I'll have to wait for orientation?

You'll have to wait to get your ID from CLS. I tried going straight to the ID office last year. They said nope. Anyway, the weight room is a joke, though some people make a go of it. I suggest looking into an alternative.

mmarion44

Postby mmarion44 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:34 am

papercut wrote:
mmarion44 wrote:So I'm a 0L moving into student housing in a little over a week. Anybody know if I'll have access to Columbia facilities (ie gym/weight room) over the remainder of the summer or if I'll have to wait for orientation?

You'll have to wait to get your ID from CLS. I tried going straight to the ID office last year. They said nope. Anyway, the weight room is a joke, though some people make a go of it. I suggest looking into an alternative.

more interested in basketball courts... which I don't think I'll be able to find elsewhere. Any chance I can buy like a monthly membership?

papercut

Postby papercut » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:32 pm

mmarion44 wrote:
papercut wrote:

more interested in basketball courts... which I don't think I'll be able to find elsewhere. Any chance I can buy like a monthly membership?

The school is flanked by two parks. Morningside Park, and Riverside park. They both have basketball courts.

playwright

Postby playwright » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 pm

Is it possible to sublet your Columbia apartment during winter break?

papercut

Postby papercut » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:08 pm

playwright wrote:Is it possible to sublet your Columbia apartment during winter break?

Yes.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:18 am

Hello future CLS 1Ls. Some of you will have Jody Kraus as your Contracts professor for your first semester. You may find it amusing to know that over 7 months since the end of the exam in December, this professor just sent his class an email telling them that they can review the exam should they wish.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:43 am

TheoO wrote:Hello future CLS 1Ls. Some of you will have Jody Kraus as your Contracts professor for your first semester. You may find it amusing to know that over 7 months since the end of the exam in December, this professor just sent his class an email telling them that they can review the exam should they wish.

Yup, not looking forward to that possibility.

maroon175

Postby maroon175 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:04 pm

Does anyone know when we receive our schedules for first semester? Do we have to wait until orientation?

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:54 pm

maroon175 wrote:Does anyone know when we receive our schedules for first semester? Do we have to wait until orientation?

Yes. But you will find out your section/LM professor sometime in early August I believe

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:23 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
maroon175 wrote:Does anyone know when we receive our schedules for first semester? Do we have to wait until orientation?

Yes. But you will find out your section/LM professor sometime in early August I believe

Does anyone know if our LM class groups will be our sections for regular classes? I heard they did it that way last year for the first time, curious if they're doing it again.

janwlee

Postby janwlee » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Does the rent for UAH change during summer? Students who want to stay there can stay, right?

papercut

Postby papercut » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:50 pm

janwlee wrote:Does the rent for UAH change during summer? Students who want to stay there can stay, right?

Your rent will increase every year, but there isn't a special summer rate. You can stay in your apartment all three years unless your apartment blows up or something. If you take a public interest job you'll get something like 4 to 5k so that will help offset the cost of summer living. Of course, if you get a summer associateship that will too.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:00 am

LetsGoMets wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:

Does anyone know if our LM class groups will be our sections for regular classes? I heard they did it that way last year for the first time, curious if they're doing it again.

Pretty sure that it was not the first time last year, but yes- with the exception of your elective 2nd semester 1L. Your LM section is the same section you will take Property, Civ Pro, Torts, Crim, Contracts, and Con Law with.

papercut

Postby papercut » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:20 am

But you will have one small class (about 30 people) out of your first three during the fall. These will still be 30 people from your big section (100 people). You will take all classes, including the small one, with the same 12 or so people in your small section.

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:39 am

papercut wrote:But you will have one small class (about 30 people) out of your first three during the fall. These will still be 30 people from your big section (100 people). You will take all classes, including the small one, with the same 12 or so people in your small section.

You had me until the 12 part -- what small section?

papercut

Postby papercut » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:19 am

jrc223 wrote:
papercut wrote:But you will have one small class (about 30 people) out of your first three during the fall. These will still be 30 people from your big section (100 people). You will take all classes, including the small one, with the same 12 or so people in your small section.

You'll be in a small section of about 12 for your Legal Practice Workshop class. It's our version of Legal Writing. It's a high-pass/pass/fail class that is about as hard as Legal Methods to fail. Your workload will greatly depend on your LPW professor.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:24 am

papercut wrote:
jrc223 wrote:

You'll be in a small section of about 12 for your Legal Practice Workshop class. It's our version of Legal Writing. It's a high-pass/pass/fail class that is about as hard as Legal Methods to fail. Your workload will greatly depend on your LPW professor.

Is everyone in the small 30 person substantive first semester class in the same classes together all year? Excluding the 1L elective of course. My year we were only together first semester and then things split up second semester. The LPW class stayed the same but the people in it were in different schedules for everything else. Not sure if this changed.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:27 am

papercut wrote:
jrc223 wrote:

One of the most crucial "keys to a happy 1L year" at CLS is to realize as early as possible that no one cares or really knows what an HP or P is in LPW; that very minimal effort is required to pass the class; and that you should only be exerting give or take that minimal effort all semester. Stressing about legal practice workshop is def top five 1L fails.

There are literally only two things you need to do. The first is actually show up most of the time to class. The second is to turn in the assignments on time, even if what you're turning in is trash. The only time I've ever seen a student risk an LP or face some other penalty was for turning stuff in late.

I highly recommend one of the specialized moot courts to replace the normal LPW class in the spring, especially one where you get to travel. It's a bit more work but it makes the whole exercise less suffocating.

papercut

Postby papercut » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:46 am

jbagelboy wrote:One of the most crucial "keys to a happy 1L year" at CLS is to realize as early as possible that no one cares or really knows what an HP or P is in LPW; that very minimal effort is required to pass the class; and that you should only be exerting give or take that minimal effort all semester. Stressing about legal practice workshop is def top five 1L fails.

There are literally only two things you need to do. The first is actually show up most of the time to class. The second is to turn in the assignments on time, even if what you're turning in is trash. The only time I've ever seen a student risk an LP or face some other penalty was for turning stuff in late.

I highly recommend one of the specialized moot courts to replace the normal LPW class in the spring, especially one where you get to travel. It's a bit more work but it makes the whole exercise less suffocating.

I wholeheartedly endorse all of the above.

Last semester I spent less than 10 hours on LPW, and that includes class time. I passed. But do be careful and feel out your prof to see just how far you can push it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”