Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:22 pm

sg8 wrote:A second question, if I may;

How good/bad is Dodge gym? Are you constantly waiting for squat racks / bench (how many squat racks are there out of curiosity)? Are there sufficient free weights?

I take my gym fairly seriously so would appreciate any comments. The other options in the area for solid powerlifting seem limited to crossfit which cost a fortune. Alternatively, are there any good gym recommendations in the area (with sufficient squat racks etc?)

Thanks =)

sg8

Dodge is crowded. Plan on your workout taking 20% longer than it usually does. Would unquestionably avoid 4-8:30 if it's at all possible.

Advantage is that it's (a) cheap, and (b) close, which are two things you'll probably need if you're anything like the average student.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:24 pm

MCFC wrote:Evidence with Capra is good. Funny guy.

I never recalled a single time where I left class less confused than when I came in. In retrospect I would've been better off paying even less attention than I already did.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
sg8 wrote:A second question, if I may;

How good/bad is Dodge gym? Are you constantly waiting for squat racks / bench (how many squat racks are there out of curiosity)? Are there sufficient free weights?

I take my gym fairly seriously so would appreciate any comments. The other options in the area for solid powerlifting seem limited to crossfit which cost a fortune. Alternatively, are there any good gym recommendations in the area (with sufficient squat racks etc?)

Thanks =)

sg8

Dodge is crowded. Plan on your workout taking 20% longer than it usually does. Would unquestionably avoid 4-8:30 if it's at all possible.

Advantage is that it's (a) cheap, and (b) close, which are two things you'll probably need if you're anything like the average student.

I take my gym seriously too sg8, and Dodge is fine if you go at the right times. It's actually a pretty loaded gym, which I didn't realize until I moved away for the summer and was surprised that the only place that had a comparable number of equipment was Gold's. Anyway:

There are three benches; one decline bench; two incline benches; three squat racks. There aren't any extra bars for deadlifts, so people end up taking a bar from one of the benches or squat racks, which is annoying but it's Dodge's fault for not having more bars.

In the dumbell area, there are two adjustable benches, one regular bench, two seats (for military, sitting tricep press, etc.). There is also a sit up bench that you can adjust the decline on from 5 degrees to 30 degrees.

Also, there is one of those combination pully systems that you see in all gyms (they're those big bastards that have like stations for lats, rows, pullups, etc.)

There are also a lot of machines on the third floor (the above description is on the second floor), but I don't use any.

During the school year there are classes throughout the day that end at 4pm. I recommend getting to dodge at 3:45 and change and head to the weight room. If you get started right at 4pm, the regular crowd trickles in and it doesn't get busy until 5pm. I get all of my compound lifts done in that hour, and vanity lifts are more managable when there are a lot of people because most people aren't doing them. During the weekend, anytime before 2pm is the best. I usually lift on Saturdays at noon, and there's usually only 4 to 8 other people in there at any given time.

I don't pay for a locker. In the second floor weight room, there are two inset windows that people put their bags in. They easily can hold up to 20 or so bags, and they're never completely full. I usually have my backpack and gymbag, and just plop them up there. I'm not down with paying $100 bucks for a locker.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
MCFC wrote:Evidence with Capra is good. Funny guy.

I never recalled a single time where I left class less confused than when I came in. In retrospect I would've been better off paying even less attention than I already did.

Yeah, I guess I can see that. I was entertained more than I was enlightened.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:
MCFC wrote:Trusts & Estates with Rapaczynski?

Don't take anything with Rapa.

Lol

smaug

Postby smaug » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:03 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Jason Taverner wrote:
MCFC wrote:Trusts & Estates with Rapaczynski?

Don't take anything with Rapa.

Lol

I probably shouldn't give the advice—I wasn't part of the Rapa torts of legend, but everything I've heard makes me say "do avoid."

He is supposed to be brilliant, though.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:35 pm

I didn't mind Rapa's torts but that's because a 100 question true/false multiple choice final fits me nicely. No idea what his upper division stuff is like but I imagine it's not well attended.

jrush

Postby jrush » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:49 pm

jbfo wrote:(UAH Housing, 1 br.) 435 W 119th --

I would appreciate anyone's help learning more about my housing arrangement. Can someone snag pictures or give a lowdown of the building? There is very little information available online.

Ditto this. Also, you can get a pretty good shot of it on Google Maps Street View, I was even able to work out which window is mine.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:27 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:I didn't mind Rapa's torts but that's because a 100 question true/false multiple choice final fits me nicely. No idea what his upper division stuff is like but I imagine it's not well attended.

he did a traditional essay issue spotter our year and it really was a very fair exam

the class was absurd though

sg8

Postby sg8 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks all for responding to my question on the gym. Appreciate your detailed descriptions!

Figure if I get in either fairly early (pre 8am) I should be ok.

Thanks again and let me know if any of you need/want a training partner :)

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:52 am

sg8 wrote:Thanks all for responding to my question on the gym. Appreciate your detailed descriptions!

Figure if I get in either fairly early (pre 8am) I should be ok.

Thanks again and let me know if any of you need/want a training partner :)

The first weight lifting classes M-F start at 8am, so yep--you'll have to get in before 8am. Haha. 6am is really the best time. That's when they open. I used to go then, but I can lift more weight in the afternoons. So I chose pump + crowds over less pump + less crowds.

playwright

Postby playwright » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:55 pm

Does anyone know what the apartments on 111th are like?
I'm worried that it's too far from the law school.. Any comments on how convenient the location is?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:18 pm

playwright wrote:Does anyone know what the apartments on 111th are like?
I'm worried that it's too far from the law school.. Any comments on how convenient the location is?

It's like 1/4-1/3 of a mile to the school. I lived on 112th the whole time and thought it was great. Easy access to the subway at 110th and Westside Market/Duane Reade. The area right around the law school is a bit of a dead zone in terms of stuff to do and grocery options.

maroon175

Postby maroon175 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
playwright wrote:Does anyone know what the apartments on 111th are like?

It's like 1/4-1/3 of a mile to the school. I lived on 112th the whole time and thought it was great. Easy access to the subway at 110th and Westside Market/Duane Reade. The area right around the law school is a bit of a dead zone in terms of stuff to do and grocery options.

+1

If you're off of Broadway at 111th, you're solid

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Edit.
Last edited by iamgeorgebush on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:53 am

Last edited by Nebby on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmarion44

Postby mmarion44 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:46 am

Has anybody had any experience with 547 Riverside? Not as close as I'd like but not terrible either, just don't know anything about the building itself. Anybody know if they have laundry in the building?

ladyshipppp

Postby ladyshipppp » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:22 pm

This thread is super helpful - thanks!
I was assigned to Lenfest (and as luck would have it, I think I have the highest priced studio). I'm willing to pay for 1L, but would like to move out to cheaper shared housing for 2L and 3L. I recall reading somewhere that Lenfest residents can't move out to other UAH housing - is that rule enforced?

moopness

Postby moopness » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:48 am

mmarion44 wrote:Has anybody had any experience with 547 Riverside? Not as close as I'd like but not terrible either, just don't know anything about the building itself. Anybody know if they have laundry in the building?

I lived there this last year. It may not seem far, but trust me it is a HUGE pain in the ass having to walk that distance to go home from JG. It's a good 20 minute walk, sometimes more, to get to school. This is especially annoying when it gets unbearably cold during the winter. There is laundry in the building, and generally the apartments are pretty nice. The area itself is also pretty nice but there isn't very much around it. I honestly would recommend not living here due to the inconvenience.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:44 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:34 pm

curlietop86 wrote:i would love people's thoughts on what they choose for insurance. do you do the columbia health insurance plan (gold or platinum) or do you do the state of new york health care exchange? if the columbia plan, what are the pros and cons? thanks so much, and feel free to PM!

Do your parents have insurance/will they let you stay on it? If so, stick with that.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:36 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:42 am

If you get assigned to housing that's too expensive for your budget, how does that work? I don't really have any savings to offset the cost.

Can you always get yourself reassigned to undergrad housing?

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:54 am

curlietop86 wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
curlietop86 wrote:i would love people's thoughts on what they choose for insurance. do you do the columbia health insurance plan (gold or platinum) or do you do the state of new york health care exchange? if the columbia plan, what are the pros and cons? thanks so much, and feel free to PM!

Do your parents have insurance/will they let you stay on it? If so, stick with that.

sadly, i am far too old for that :) past the 26 year threshold.

I use Columbia's Aetna plan (I believe Platinum + dental too). Fortunately I haven't used it much, but I've heard that the mental health coverage is incredible. Columbia also has some other good health services like an on-campus nutritionist. I'm honestly not sure if that goes through insurance or not, but it's pretty sweet.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:57 am

White Dwarf wrote:If you get assigned to housing that's too expensive for your budget, how does that work? I don't really have any savings to offset the cost.

Can you always get yourself reassigned to undergrad housing?

you can email julianna utley and ask for something cheaper. i don't think you can get yourself reassigned to undergrad housing, but there are cheap (at least, cheap by nyc terms) housing options available to grad students.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”