Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jbagelboy

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 29, 2015 1:58 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Okay, can someone explain Legal Methods to me? I know I've read about it before, but I'm just looking at the academic calendar for next year, and wondering how it is that the class starts in August, ends the first week in September, and then there's a final three weeks later?

Just hope you get Bobbitt, then you can wander around NYC for 3 weeks drinking, eating and seeing the high life. Otherwise just sit in the classroom and chill and savor not having any real work for three weeks.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri May 29, 2015 4:44 pm

Cool, thanks. Just seems so pointless to have the final three weeks after the class ends, and after we've already got into real class mode. It's pass/fail and no one fails, right?

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Fri May 29, 2015 5:11 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Cool, thanks. Just seems so pointless to have the final three weeks after the class ends, and after we've already got into real class mode. It's pass/fail and no one fails, right?

Right. If you totally bomb it (like, refuse to answer the question) you will have to take it again. But I wouldn't worry about it.

mr.plum

Postby mr.plum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Does anyone know if 540 w112th has laundry facilities in the building? And how big are the doubles in general? Just got my housing assignment, but sadly there's no floor plan. Thanks in advance!!

ddlew

Postby ddlew » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Hey everyone! I was wondering if any current students have lived in 604 W 115th graduate housing? My boyfriend and I were assigned a one bedroom unit, but there is no floor plan or description and UAH wasn't much of a help. Any information would be really appreciated!

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Is there a hard deadline for grades? The wait is getting tough.

smaug

Postby smaug » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:52 pm

john_brown wrote:Is there a hard deadline for grades? The wait is getting tough.

Nope.

Have fun.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:56 pm

john_brown wrote:Is there a hard deadline for grades? The wait is getting tough.

June 15th. (Page 11 here: http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... 0_2014.pdf)

After that there are serious consequences.

(There are no consequences.)

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Anyone else refreshing every five minutes? Just need to be put out of my misery.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbfo

Postby jbfo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:33 pm

(UAH Housing, 1 br.) 435 W 119th --

I would appreciate anyone's help learning more about my housing arrangement. Can someone snag pictures or give a lowdown of the building? There is very little information available online.

dlrkgml

Postby dlrkgml » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Sorry to add to the list of housing related questions, but anyone know anything about 405 West 118th?? Please and thank you!

zhongxiaozhui

Postby zhongxiaozhui » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Anyone knows anything about 150 Claremont Avenue(UAH)? There is just not much information online. Thanks in advance!

Kharbooza

Postby Kharbooza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:55 pm

dlrkgml wrote:Sorry to add to the list of housing related questions, but anyone know anything about 405 West 118th?? Please and thank you!

Same question here!

sg8

Postby sg8 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:12 am

Hi all,

Sorry for yet another housing question. Unfortunately, there seems to next to nothing in terms of quality information on housing at Columbia. A few photo's and floorplans wouldn't hurt especially for those of us coming from overseas!

Anyway, I was assigned a couple, 1 bedroom apartment at 400 west 119th street (Butler Hall). Does any have any comments on this building?

Thanks
sg8

sg8

Postby sg8 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:15 am

A second question, if I may;

How good/bad is Dodge gym? Are you constantly waiting for squat racks / bench (how many squat racks are there out of curiosity)? Are there sufficient free weights?

I take my gym fairly seriously so would appreciate any comments. The other options in the area for solid powerlifting seem limited to crossfit which cost a fortune. Alternatively, are there any good gym recommendations in the area (with sufficient squat racks etc?)

Thanks =)

sg8

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:08 pm

Registrar just released course offerings for next year. 3Ls- any reactions regarding must takes or must avoids?

Also, any tips for the lottery system with regards to preferences, primaries/alternates?

green.tea

Postby green.tea » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:55 pm

In addition to ordering online, where do people shop locally to set up their apartments - Costco, Ikea, Sleepy's, Apple Tree market...? Thanks.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:47 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:Registrar just released course offerings for next year. 3Ls- any reactions regarding must takes or must avoids?

Also, any tips for the lottery system with regards to preferences, primaries/alternates?

I think the number one mistake people make is assuming they have to take corporations. I made that mistake. You don't have to take corporations (major caveat: Jackson might be all that; I'm saying if you don't get Jackson). Unless you plan on pursuing transactional work and you want to take M&A, sec reg, ect and stack an entire schedule in that vein, corporations is unnecessarily difficult, time consuming, tedious and straight up boring. It's the only class I seriously regret taking at CLS (that I had a choice for). Year after year every incoming 2L thinks they just have to take corporations because "firms like to see it" (no) or "it will be useful" (probably not) or "everyone does it" - some 320-330 students took corporations Fall 2014. It's the most absurd bandwagon.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Evidence with Capra is good. Funny guy.

Re: preferences, I think I got most of what I wanted last fall? (Didn't even try for Jackson though.) Scheduling a call with student services was actually pretty helpful. Even if it's just to ask, "Here's my plan, is this dumb?"

I still have to take PR. Is there a recommended professor?

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:Registrar just released course offerings for next year. 3Ls- any reactions regarding must takes or must avoids?

I think the number one mistake people make is assuming they have to take corporations. I made that mistake. You don't have to take corporations (major caveat: Jackson might be all that; I'm saying if you don't get Jackson). Unless you plan on pursuing transactional work and you want to take M&A, sec reg, ect and stack an entire schedule in that vein, corporations is unnecessarily difficult, time consuming, tedious and straight up boring. It's the only class I seriously regret taking at CLS (that I had a choice for). Year after year every incoming 2L thinks they just have to take corporations because "firms like to see it" (no) or "it will be useful" (probably not) or "everyone does it" - some 320-330 students took corporations Fall 2014. It's the most absurd bandwagon.

I disagree. It's a bandwagon for a reason. If you're planning on doing biglaw (even non-transactional work) you need a certain level of financial literacy. If you have an econ background and read the WSJ every day then, yes, you could probably skip it. But if you're a poli-sci major who can't define, say, a proxy statement or a security, then you should strongly consider taking corporations. It is tough and boring and all of that, granted. And I'm sure firms don't give a damn one way or the other. But, if nothing else, you'll learn alot of useful stuff.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:27 pm

john_brown wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I disagree. It's a bandwagon for a reason. If you're planning on doing biglaw (even non-transactional work) you need a certain level of financial literacy. If you have an econ background and read the WSJ every day then, yes, you could probably skip it. But if you're a poli-sci major who can't define, say, a proxy statement or a security, then you should strongly consider taking corporations. It is tough and boring and all of that, granted. And I'm sure firms don't give a damn one way or the other. But, if nothing else, you'll learn alot of useful stuff.

I agree that the course introduces you to useful terminology and concepts, but I would rather have learned all that stuff another way. The case law method isn't even the most effective delivery for that type of material.

ETA: look, in fairness, I'm not disputing its a useful course for a lot of people or that it shouldn't be popular, I just don't think it needs to be treated as such a de facto requirement. I only wound up taking it basically because people said everyone does and you kind of have to and I think that's a trap for the unwary for students who won't really care
Last edited by jbagelboy on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:31 pm

I would recommend doubling up on Shechtman's evidence and crim adjudication classes. Nice and easy, no cold calling, no reading required.

I thought Tepper was a great PR professor but apparently he started cold calling last year so that kind of sucks. Doubt he is hardcore about it.

Dodge sucks mainly because it's just too small and crowded a lot of the time, and even moreso because they close it down for PE classes from Monday-Thursday during much of the day. But it does have what you need if you're a heavy lifter. Three squat racks and three flat benches plus two incline benches and one decline bench. Hard to justify paying 100 bucks or more a month when you have dodge free (although a locker in the winter is a near necessity and those cost a little bit). If you can get your ass out of bed early you'll be able to lift with little trouble.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:11 am

Trusts & Estates with Rapaczynski?

smaug

Postby smaug » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:37 am

MCFC wrote:Trusts & Estates with Rapaczynski?

Don't take anything with Rapa.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”