Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stephcurry

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby stephcurry » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:11 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
stephcurry wrote:Can anyone speak to their experience with negotiating scholarships? If I have a $22,500 higher scholarship from NYU do you think that it's worth trying to get CLS to up theirs?

It's definitely worth it. I've heard of CLS upping schollies through negotiating, but even if I hadn't you still have nothing to lose.

Thanks. Would you advise mentioning a full tuition scholarship from USC, or the higher scholarship from NYU, or both?

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:44 pm

stephcurry wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
stephcurry wrote:Can anyone speak to their experience with negotiating scholarships? If I have a $22,500 higher scholarship from NYU do you think that it's worth trying to get CLS to up theirs?

It's definitely worth it. I've heard of CLS upping schollies through negotiating, but even if I hadn't you still have nothing to lose.

Thanks. Would you advise mentioning a full tuition scholarship from USC, or the higher scholarship from NYU, or both?

Throw all your cards on the table and see what bites.

sorcer

Postby sorcer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Last edited by sorcer on Thu May 28, 2015 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 pm

sorcer wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:Abbreviated Version of Columbia's LRAP: you pay $0 out of pocket if you make up to $71K, then you pay 34% of income in excess of $71K (ex. You make $100K? You pay 34% of $29K ($100K - $71K), or roughly $10K per year). Very good program, though you do have to be employed in eligible PI work.

Chicago: Columbia's LRAP is quite a bit better than Chicago's, which stops contributing completely if you make more than $80K. It does completely cover your payments if you make less than $80K, which is a higher no-contribution limit than Columbia, but that $71K-$80K window is not worth being cut-off at >$80K. Even if you make $79K, you're only expected to contribute 34% of the $8K difference at Columbia (~$225/month), a small sacrifice for the >$80K advantage given by Columbia's LRAP. Same PI employment requirements.

NYU: Very similar to Columbia's. You don't pay anything if you make less than $80K, then you pay 40% of income in excess of $80K (ex. You make $100K? You pay 40% of $20K ($100K - $80K), or $8K per year). As you can see, this is marginally better than Columbia's LRAP, but the difference is so small that you can take your pick based on which school you like better. Same PI employment requirements.

I don't really know that much about HYS. I know the big benefit to Yale is that it covers any employment, even if it has nothing to do with law. However, their no-contribution limit is only $50K, and you pay a pretty steep premium as you move up the pay-scale.

Thanks for the great summary! Just a quick question, which I think is pretty obvious, but just in case. The LRAP doesn't cover any foreign loans because they can't be institutionally approved, right? I originally thought that LRAPs are only for loans taken from the school or from the government, but I heard that it is possible for private loans as well, as long as they are institutionally approved. I don't know if I am completely off track here, but I thought I'd ask the current students to be sure.

All your answers. http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/microsites/financial-aid/files/lrap_policy._jd_classes_graduating_on_or_after_may_2008._rev_dec_2014.pdf

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Most students take notes on laptops but some profs don't allow laptops in class.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 pm

curlietop86 wrote:Here's a question: do students use laptops to take notes in class or pen/paper? I was struck when I visited by how many were hand-writing notes in comparison with NYU - is that due to school rules? Debating what laptop to get to replace my 2009 MacBook (I've been coasting on my work laptop) and I will care more about the weight if I am lugging it to all of my classes. Thanks!

It varies by class. I think 3 of my 7 1L profs banned them with a 4th allowing them for note taking but having TAs in the back monitor internet usage. If they aren't banned it varies by preference and I think it tilts pretty heavily toward laptop users.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:07 pm

MCFC wrote:
curlietop86 wrote:Here's a question: do students use laptops to take notes in class or pen/paper? I was struck when I visited by how many were hand-writing notes in comparison with NYU - is that due to school rules? Debating what laptop to get to replace my 2009 MacBook (I've been coasting on my work laptop) and I will care more about the weight if I am lugging it to all of my classes. Thanks!

It varies by class. I think 3 of my 7 1L profs banned them with a 4th allowing them for note taking but having TAs in the back monitor internet usage. If they aren't banned it varies by preference and I think it tilts pretty heavily toward laptop users.

God that sounds like such a terrible time for the TAs

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:57 am

MCFC wrote:

Wow. All 7 of my 1L professors allowed laptops.

amsong

Postby amsong » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:19 pm

All of my professors this semester ban laptops. It's going to be super annoying come finals, but as a 2L, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

But on that note, does anyone have an Admin outline for JBP?

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:22 pm

How did last year EIP go? Did they give you guys the success rate? Just curious because hiring seemed very robust.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:10 pm

banjo wrote:How did last year EIP go? Did they give you guys the success rate? Just curious because hiring seemed very robust.

Normally that info goes out to the 1Ls around this time. They have a mandatory session to come in to OCI to get the spiel and they hand out a pdf version of the # of bids/interviews/offers/acceptances from the previous year.

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:41 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
banjo wrote:How did last year EIP go? Did they give you guys the success rate? Just curious because hiring seemed very robust.

Normally that info goes out to the 1Ls around this time. They have a mandatory session to come in to OCI to get the spiel and they hand out a pdf version of the # of bids/interviews/offers/acceptances from the previous year.

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm a 2l and vaguely remember hearing it last year at the eip thing. Thanks to those who pmd me--appreciate it

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:42 pm

I'll take one of those PM's too if anyone wouldn't mind

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I'll take one of those PM's too if anyone wouldn't mind

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:20 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:

This just happened today actually lol

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:33 pm

almondjoy wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:

This just happened today actually lol

That 'tar man. Every time I see it I cringe.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:53 am

Also would like to see the new EIP data if anyone can PM

swangz

Postby swangz » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:46 am

Could I get a PM with the EIP data as well? Thanks!

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:50 am

Me too please :)

dcpanther

Postby dcpanther » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:58 pm

answered, thanks!
Last edited by dcpanther on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:01 pm

dcpanther wrote:does anyone know what the typical % increase is for rent in UAH?

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Anyone have an outline for Unfair Competition (Long)? Would get my eternal gratitude.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Hey, for any current students looking for that 2014 EIP data, it's now available online here: https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... esults.pdf

That might be login protected, if so go here first: https://web.law.columbia.edu/career-ser ... ograms/eip

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:52 pm

MCFC wrote:Hey, for any current students looking for that 2014 EIP data, it's now available online here: https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... esults.pdf

That might be login protected, if so go here first: https://web.law.columbia.edu/career-ser ... ograms/eip

thanks!

also a note to any 1Ls who feel these numbers just "aren't adding up": afaik these numbers only refer to individuals who accepted an offer from a firm they took a screener interview with at EIP. A non-negligible number of students obtained and accepted offers outside of EIP this year. there are 2Ls summering at a number of the firms listed as "0" offers accepted, and more students going to firms like skadden than the offer accepted figures reflect. This list also obviously excludes firms that don't participate in EIP like quinn emanuel and offices of firms that didn't directly recruit at EIP. Overall it's great data but very much an incomplete picture of the overall success and summer placement of c/o 2016

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”