Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iamgeorgebush

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:30 am

1Lofalawyer wrote:Hey CLS students!

This is a question that some of you may not have an answer to, particularly due to its related touchy topic (i.e., stats). But hey, I'll take my chances! :D

My question is whether there is anyone who knows of anyone (who maybe knows of someone else) who got into Columbia with outlier stats? By outlier stats, I mean, circa 25th percentile GPA and way below 25th percentile LSAT?

PS: if you're reading this, and you have an answer, please let me know. Maybe someone will make my day :roll: :oops: :D

i don't really discuss my GPA and/or LSAT w/ other students at CLS, and i doubt others do either. http://mylsn.info can probably provide you as much guidance as any of us can. and unfortunately, i expect mylsn.info will tell you the answer is no.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:44 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
1Lofalawyer wrote:Hey CLS students!

This is a question that some of you may not have an answer to, particularly due to its related touchy topic (i.e., stats). But hey, I'll take my chances! :D

My question is whether there is anyone who knows of anyone (who maybe knows of someone else) who got into Columbia with outlier stats? By outlier stats, I mean, circa 25th percentile GPA and way below 25th percentile LSAT?

PS: if you're reading this, and you have an answer, please let me know. Maybe someone will make my day :roll: :oops: :D

i don't really discuss my GPA and/or LSAT w/ other students at CLS, and i doubt others do either. http://mylsn.info can probably provide you as much guidance as any of us can. and unfortunately, i expect mylsn.info will tell you the answer is no.

Yeah as far as anecdotal evidence (one way or the other) goes, there isn't much available. Students (at least in my experience) don't even talk about their CLS grades, much less their undergrad grades/LSAT scores.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 am

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

bowser

Postby bowser » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:22 am

for apartment shares, the prices correspond to almost nothing. I live in a $1050 place now, and it's much nicer than the $1250 place they gave me 1L year.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:49 pm

curlietop86 wrote:
bowser wrote:for apartment shares, the prices correspond to almost nothing. I live in a $1050 place now, and it's much nicer than the $1250 place they gave me 1L year.

huh. bizarre. i guess i'll just be writing them a really detailed email to try to get what i want. if people have other suggestions about how they maneuvered within the housing system to get what they wanted, please let me know! i've been living on my own for about 6 years now, and am totally nervous about just being allotted a residence :)

That's exactly what you should do. Make clear what things are most important to you, including price. I gave them a price range and said within that range I'd prefer size over price, and sure enough I got a big place on the high end of the range.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:20 pm

I think back when I went through the process you just submitted it through the housing portal. If that's not an option any longer send the email to CLS' housing folks.

playwright

Postby playwright » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:33 am

Are there any options other than Lenfest for someone who don't want roommates?
It seems like couples are given priority for other studios/one-bedrooms.
I would really like to live alone, but Lenfest seems too expensive.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:37 am

playwright wrote:Are there any options other than Lenfest for someone who don't want roommates?

Lenfest is market. Welcome to Manhattan. You could find an inexpensive studio in Bronx or Brooklyn.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:34 pm

playwright wrote:Are there any options other than Lenfest for someone who don't want roommates?

Yes, there are other options. I think you're right about couples being given priority, but I live in a building with a lot of studios/1 BR and know a number of people who aren't living with anyone (myself included).

The thing is, I don't know if it's any cheaper than Lenfest, so if price is a dealbreaker this may not be much help. I know I put on my housing forms that I was willing to pay a little extra if it meant getting a studio/1BR.

As with all housing questions though, it's probably worth reaching out to Juliana Utley.

wsag826

Postby wsag826 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:37 am

Might not be the right place to ask this question, but how do you guys feel about Columbia's LRAP program? Particularly in comparison to YHS, Chicago, and NYU? Do you think it is one of the most competitive and generous LRAP programs or in line with others? Would appreciate anyone who is willing to share their opinion!

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:52 am

Abbreviated Version of Columbia's LRAP: you pay $0 out of pocket if you make up to $71K, then you pay 34% of income in excess of $71K (ex. You make $100K? You pay 34% of $29K ($100K - $71K), or roughly $10K per year). Very good program, though you do have to be employed in eligible PI work.

Chicago: Columbia's LRAP is quite a bit better than Chicago's, which stops contributing completely if you make more than $80K. It does completely cover your payments if you make less than $80K, which is a higher no-contribution limit than Columbia, but that $71K-$80K window is not worth being cut-off at >$80K. Even if you make $79K, you're only expected to contribute 34% of the $8K difference at Columbia (~$225/month), a small sacrifice for the >$80K advantage given by Columbia's LRAP. Same PI employment requirements.

NYU: Very similar to Columbia's. You don't pay anything if you make less than $80K, then you pay 40% of income in excess of $80K (ex. You make $100K? You pay 40% of $20K ($100K - $80K), or $8K per year). As you can see, this is marginally better than Columbia's LRAP, but the difference is so small that you can take your pick based on which school you like better. Same PI employment requirements.

I don't really know that much about HYS. I know the big benefit to Yale is that it covers any employment, even if it has nothing to do with law. However, their no-contribution limit is only $50K, and you pay a pretty steep premium as you move up the pay-scale.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:12 am

Addendum to the above post (great summary White Dwarf!):

If you elect to combine the CLS LRAP with the Federal PSLF program, then your cap is bumped up to $100k before paying any additional out-of-pocket.

lnick93

Postby lnick93 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 am

How easy is it to enroll in LRAP after working in the private sector for a few years?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:45 am

The PDF still says 50k if you use the straight LRAP and 100k if you combine with PSLF. The 100k used to be 71k but I think that if you're not tied into PAYE/PSLF you'll have to start paying once your AGI exceeds 50k.

http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... c_2014.pdf

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:12 pm

I know literally nothing about NYC and was wondering about some of the cheaper, off campus options for housing (within walking distance to the school). I'm okay with roommates or living by myself. If living on campus is cheaper I'd do that too.

Can anybody point me to a specific neighborhood, or an online marketplace? Thanks! I am also aware that this may be a horribly stupid question

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:16 pm

90convoy wrote:I know literally nothing about NYC and was wondering about some of the cheaper, off campus options for housing (within walking distance to the school). I'm okay with roommates or living by myself. If living on campus is cheaper I'd do that too.

Can anybody point me to a specific neighborhood, or an online marketplace? Thanks! I am also aware that this may be a horribly stupid question

Columbia Law provides housing which is generally quite a bit cheaper than anything else you'll find in the area. If you're coming from outside NYC your best bet is almost always to live in Columbia housing.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:21 pm

I copped a room in a 2BR for $1300 in a renovated apartment in Harlem--about 15 minute walk to CLS. It was via craiglist.

wsag826

Postby wsag826 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:11 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Abbreviated Version of Columbia's LRAP: you pay $0 out of pocket if you make up to $71K, then you pay 34% of income in excess of $71K (ex. You make $100K? You pay 34% of $29K ($100K - $71K), or roughly $10K per year). Very good program, though you do have to be employed in eligible PI work.

Chicago: Columbia's LRAP is quite a bit better than Chicago's, which stops contributing completely if you make more than $80K. It does completely cover your payments if you make less than $80K, which is a higher no-contribution limit than Columbia, but that $71K-$80K window is not worth being cut-off at >$80K. Even if you make $79K, you're only expected to contribute 34% of the $8K difference at Columbia (~$225/month), a small sacrifice for the >$80K advantage given by Columbia's LRAP. Same PI employment requirements.

NYU: Very similar to Columbia's. You don't pay anything if you make less than $80K, then you pay 40% of income in excess of $80K (ex. You make $100K? You pay 40% of $20K ($100K - $80K), or $8K per year). As you can see, this is marginally better than Columbia's LRAP, but the difference is so small that you can take your pick based on which school you like better. Same PI employment requirements.

I don't really know that much about HYS. I know the big benefit to Yale is that it covers any employment, even if it has nothing to do with law. However, their no-contribution limit is only $50K, and you pay a pretty steep premium as you move up the pay-scale.

Wow--thank you so much for this! Very big help!

flyingboy

Postby flyingboy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Hey guys, I'm a 1L at HLS and was wondering if anyone ever took a class with David Schizer (visiting at HLS next year)? How is he as a professor?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 pm

flyingboy wrote:Hey guys, I'm a 1L at HLS and was wondering if anyone ever took a class with David Schizer (visiting at HLS next year)? How is he as a professor?

He's fantastic. Not only is he brilliant, but he is a truly great lecturer. He responds to questions thoughtfully and never makes students feel stupid. Usually he teaches tax, which sucks, but if you want to learn tax, he's great. He also uses a panel system for cold calls. I believe he is teaching at Georgetown this semester.

eb91

Postby eb91 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 pm

I'm filling out the housing application and wondering if there are any significant differences between the apartment shares on the 400 block? Are any of them more quiet than others (location, potential carpeting)?

stephcurry

Postby stephcurry » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:07 pm

Can anyone speak to their experience with negotiating scholarships? If I have a $22,500 higher scholarship from NYU do you think that it's worth trying to get CLS to up theirs?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:10 pm

stephcurry wrote:Can anyone speak to their experience with negotiating scholarships? If I have a $22,500 higher scholarship from NYU do you think that it's worth trying to get CLS to up theirs?

It's definitely worth it. I've heard of CLS upping schollies through negotiating, but even if I hadn't you still have nothing to lose.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”