Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
starrydreamz3

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:02 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:Anyone taken classes at the B school? A lot of them sound interesting and/or practically useful. Also, isn't there some limit on how many you can take?

Haven't taken any solely B school classes, but you should also look at the cross-listed law school classes (capital market regulation, bankruptcy/restructuring come to mind) if you want to get the business feel without giving up all the legal aspects of it. Plus, with half the class MBA students (who generally don't care much about grades), the curve is quite nice.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:13 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:Anyone taken classes at the B school? A lot of them sound interesting and/or practically useful. Also, isn't there some limit on how many you can take?

You can take 10 credits outside the law school for credit. Business school classes are typically three credits. Not sure if they'll let you take more than three.

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:28 am

LetsGoMets wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate it. We just got sent mock class info also -- I'm with Jamal Greene, have to read Brown v. Board first. They're not gonna be cold calling, are they?

Definitely not. I'd do the reading just because it will give you a better sense of what is going on and how class actually works, but don't worry about it at all. It'll be extremely chill, volunteers only.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:17 am

tlsapp2017 wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate it. We just got sent mock class info also -- I'm with Jamal Greene, have to read Brown v. Board first. They're not gonna be cold calling, are they?

Definitely not. I'd do the reading just because it will give you a better sense of what is going on and how class actually works, but don't worry about it at all. It'll be extremely chill, volunteers only.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. Will look forward to watching the "that guys" try to out-gun each other.

J90

Postby J90 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:56 am

I took one last semester. You're allowed one per semester, with a max of 10 units, like Tiago said. Just be aware that there are prerequisites. You'll need to take Capital Markets or Corporate Finance before most of the other courses.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. We just got sent mock class info also -- I'm with Jamal Greene, have to read Brown v. Board first. They're not gonna be cold calling, are they?

No, not at all, it was super relaxed. Mine was all based on people raising their own hands. Also, Jamal Greene's great from what I hear, so you got a great professor there. For what it's worth, I read my "case" on the plane because I was excited and had nothing else to do, and I thought it'd help me follow along.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:31 pm

2Ls and 3Ls: whats the general men's style at the Barristers?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:38 pm

TheoO wrote:2Ls and 3Ls: whats the general men's style at the Barristers?

The 2015 Barristers’ Ball will be held on Saturday... The theme will be Monte Carlo, so come dressed to impress.

Just a reminder that this year’s Barristers’ Ball is around the corner! The theme will be Monte Carlo, so dress your best. You know what to do.

What the last quote doesn't mention, but may be inferred, is that if you do not know what to do, then you probably shouldn't be attending.

(Wear that J.Crew suit you linked in the other thread. The color/fabric is cool.)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:32 pm

TheoO wrote:2Ls and 3Ls: whats the general men's style at the Barristers?

all out.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:27 am

J90 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I feel like if I had gone to Merrill's property class as a 0L I'd have seriously considered skipping law school. Not the one I'd pick. I'd shoot for Lynch's crim class.

Haha wow really? Different strokes I guess.

I would've gone the opposite way, too, for Merrill! Merrill's hilarious. Lynch was super dry for me. Can see how you could recommend the other way to a 0L though.

Would recommend Tim Wu's Antitrust and I hear Judge's seminar is good.

Another vote for Merrill's class here. Even if the 0Ls hate it, I'll at least be entertained by watching them squirm.

Although, I might be coldcalled tomorrow and haven't read in weeks... okay, the above still applies.

fff1919

Postby fff1919 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:49 am

Do you miss out if you live off campus as a 1L? I currently live in NYC about a 15-20 minute ride away on the 1, and it would cost me more to live in most law school housing (not to mention, I don't particularly want to go through the hassle of moving again.) I know a large majority of Columbia Law students live on/very near campus so wondering if it makes a significant difference.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:10 am

fff1919 wrote:Do you miss out if you live off campus as a 1L? I currently live in NYC about a 15-20 minute ride away on the 1, and it would cost me more to live in most law school housing (not to mention, I don't particularly want to go through the hassle of moving again.) I know a large majority of Columbia Law students live on/very near campus so wondering if it makes a significant difference.

I don't think it makes much difference if you're that close.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:54 pm

I need to satisfy the major writing credit sometime next year. What are some of the non-traditional ways to do this? For example, I know there is a briefcraft/moot court TA thing that satisfies it. Are there any other ways to do so, without having to do supervised research/paper?

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:38 pm

I don't have laundry stuff in my building. Gotta go to the end of the block which sucks. Good thing to ask for.

Prices can be all over the place so it's hard to generalize. My 1 bedroom unfurnished apartment started at 1600 and is now 1800. It's probably about 600 square feet. I've heard of better and worse deals.

Dishwashers aren't really a thing in NYC. I had to buy a microwave. You will have a refrigerator but that's about it.

Also while you're requesting things shoot for an elevator building if you aren't on the first floor. My building doesn't have an elevator. No big deal for me since I'm on the first floor but I feel bad for the people that have to walk up to floor six.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:54 pm

It went up about $100 each year. They promise not to raise it by more than 5% but mine came it at about exactly 5%, and I think that's typical.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:01 pm

The gym at Columbia is horrible, but you are paying for it already for tuition. If you're a huge fitness person, and are particular about what kinds of weights/equipment will be available to you, I would look into a membership at Equinox or New York Sports Club (there are also some Planet Fitnesses near by I think). But I think most people just suck it up and stick with the Dodge

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:30 pm

toothbrush wrote:I need to satisfy the major writing credit sometime next year. What are some of the non-traditional ways to do this? For example, I know there is a briefcraft/moot court TA thing that satisfies it. Are there any other ways to do so, without having to do supervised research/paper?

Some take a seminar, cop that minor, then expand it, have their previous seminar professor supervise, and cop major.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Nebby wrote:
toothbrush wrote:I need to satisfy the major writing credit sometime next year. What are some of the non-traditional ways to do this? For example, I know there is a briefcraft/moot court TA thing that satisfies it. Are there any other ways to do so, without having to do supervised research/paper?

Some take a seminar, cop that minor, then expand it, have their previous seminar professor supervise, and cop major.

:shock: :shock:

I was going to try to knock out the minor w/ a clinic. Can I cop a major from a clinic too? (I really loath writing/research and want to avoid it if at all possible)...

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:07 pm

Haha, I didn't see that it was you. You need an avatar!

But I know that if you get on one of the Stone moot court and write the problem, then that counts. I honestly have no idea how others get it, since there's tons that I know that didn't write a note.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Any of you guys/gals set on doing PI at graduation? Do you find the support network there strong? Feel like CLS offers you anything special compared to other schools?

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:00 pm

Any 2L/3Ls have any advice regarding clinics? The applications or whatever just got sent out today and I'm curious how competitive/time consuming/worth it any of them are.

1Lofalawyer

Postby 1Lofalawyer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:20 pm

Hey CLS students!

This is a question that some of you may not have an answer to, particularly due to its related touchy topic (i.e., stats). But hey, I'll take my chances! :D

My question is whether there is anyone who knows of anyone (who maybe knows of someone else) who got into Columbia with outlier stats? By outlier stats, I mean, circa 25th percentile GPA and way below 25th percentile LSAT?

PS: if you're reading this, and you have an answer, please let me know. Maybe someone will make my day :roll: :oops: :D

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:47 am

Can anyone chime in on the judicial externships? Curious about how competitive they are, what sort of grades you need, what the experience is like etc. I'd appreciate any insight.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:44 pm

john_brown wrote:Can anyone chime in on the judicial externships? Curious about how competitive they are, what sort of grades you need, what the experience is like etc. I'd appreciate any insight.

Im doing the SDNY externship right now. I think it's a great experience if you want to litigate or clerk; not so relevant for a transactional attorney. PM if you want more details.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”